GTA 5 Profoundly Racist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Mcspanky37 (1685 posts) -

I'm not quite black (my skin is white, I have a black descendent), but I'm pretty offended by the amount of racial slurs and depiction of minorities in GTA 5. All the black people in the game belong to gangs, spout racial epithets, and commit crimes. Yes, these are exaggerations of racist undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones. With nothing in the narrative to underscore how insane and wrong this is, all the game does is reinforce and celebrate racism. Do you think GTA 5 is profoundly racist? Should the game's score be deducted for being racist (because racism is bad)?

(I'm not asking if you're personally offended. Something can be offensive without you being personally offended by it. I'm asking if it's racist.)

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (44738 posts) -

All the white people are also criminals!!! OMG TEH RACISM!!!!!

#3 Posted by starjet905 (1837 posts) -

Too many people getting offended by fictional content these days. It's fiction, not reality.

#4 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

If anything, the game wasn't nearly racist enough. I was hoping for a segment where you have to iron a shirt urgently, but cannot find an ironing board.

The solution to the puzzle will be to substitute a white woman's bottom for the ironing board.

#5 Posted by gamefan67 (9805 posts) -

Let us not forget all those non-minorities who were criminals.

#6 Edited by hunterman117 (3 posts) -

You should really open your eyes next time you play any GTA game. You sound like you only could focus on one group and completely missed any other group in the game. Did you forget about the meth dealers in Sandy Shores or the Lost gang? There was the Chinese that came along and were criminals.

Majority of the pedestrians you walked near would say rude things to you or others. You really need to learn to keep your eyes open before you start saying things.

Even the random events(muggings) in game would chose random ped's as the criminal. And to ask, do you know how certain ethnic groups talk to each other or act? Do you live in a city or state any bit similar to San Andreas/Los Santos?

#7 Edited by lostrib (26103 posts) -

Aren't 2 out of the 3 main characters white?

And if we deducted from game scores because something was "bad" then GTA would be way in the negative?

#8 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1237 posts) -
GTA 5 profoundly racist?

No.

Profoundly misanthropic.

#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (8767 posts) -

I'm not quite black (my skin is white, I have a black descendent)

I lol'd at this...

Not even going to read the rest of the OP.

#10 Edited by thecrypticodor (192 posts) -

I'm pretty offended by the amount of racial slurs and depiction of minorities in GTA 5. All the black people in the game belong to gangs, spout racial epithets, and commit crimes.

Try walking down any street named Martin Luthar King Boulevard long enough and see if you don't see at least some of that going on.

#11 Posted by joel_c17 (2763 posts) -
#12 Posted by Stinger78 (5807 posts) -

TC, I think I might be offended because you made this topic. But seriously, while the GTA series may or may not promote stereotypes, I can not find a video game racist.

It seems like, anymore, people can be too serious, and point out things that people would have otherwise overlooked. "I'm offended, so you should be, too".

#13 Edited by SteXmaN (274 posts) -

wtf xD

#14 Posted by ButDuuude (290 posts) -

What's with all the political correctness these days? I know people that only date black people, just so they're not considered racists.

#15 Posted by The-Apostle (11913 posts) -

This topic reminds me of the people who thought Resident Evil 5 was racist because most of the zombies were black. Someone needed to remind them the game was set in Africa. >_>

#16 Posted by TheEroica (12748 posts) -

dont play the game if you can't handle what the game is going for. You could also choose to accept that it's satire.

#17 Posted by Chutebox (35675 posts) -

I want to get this game now, even though I know I won't like it because of the stupid ass complaints

#18 Posted by dominer (3311 posts) -

All of the characters in GTA are huge stereotypes, no one is safe.

I would say the game is anti-american though.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (46497 posts) -

I'm not quite black (my skin is white, I have a black descendent), but I'm pretty offended by the amount of racial slurs and depiction of minorities in GTA 5. All the black people in the game belong to gangs, spout racial epithets, and commit crimes. Yes, these are exaggerations of racist undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones. With nothing in the narrative to underscore how insane and wrong this is, all the game does is reinforce and celebrate racism. Do you think GTA 5 is profoundly racist? Should the game's score be deducted for being racist (because racism is bad)?

(I'm not asking if you're personally offended. Something can be offensive without you being personally offended by it. I'm asking if it's racist.)

Some of the sentences seem exactly the same as Carolyn Petit's review, but with the word "racism" instead.

#20 Edited by theKSMM (1154 posts) -

@thecrypticodor: If you can find me a street named "Martin Luthar King Boulevard" anywhere in the United States, I'll give you a dollar.

#21 Edited by theKSMM (1154 posts) -

This topic reminds me of the people who thought Resident Evil 5 was racist because most of the zombies were black. Someone needed to remind them the game was set in Africa. >_>

Um, that game was crazy racial.

"Say, let's zip this T-virus halfway around the world so that you spend 99% of your time shooting coloreds in the face!"

Having the T-virus skip four other continents on its way to Africa was bad. Having the brave white Americans come in to save the day was a bridge too far.

#22 Posted by hunterman117 (3 posts) -

@theKSMM: Do you even know what happened in RE 5?

Chris, being a long time character and becoming an agent was sent out to Africa to assist Sheva on the hunt for a man that was producing a bio weapon. Said man happened to release his bio weapon on everyone.

Same shit with RE4. And even RE6, you basically shoot up the local people in any resident evil game since the main enemy is generally the local people.

#23 Posted by PyratRum (411 posts) -

@theKSMM said:

@thecrypticodor: If you can find me a street named "Martin Luthar King Boulevard" anywhere in the United States, I'll give you a dollar.

There's one like 25 mins from where a I live near the freeway.

I prefer Paypal.

#24 Edited by bobbetybob (18831 posts) -

@theKSMM said:

There are so many that it has its own Wikipedia entry

Unless you were critiquing his spelling of Martin Luther King in which case, yes, well done.

#25 Edited by Chutebox (35675 posts) -
#26 Posted by navyguy21 (12533 posts) -

Good grief people, its satire, let it go!

#27 Posted by thecrypticodor (192 posts) -

@theKSMM said:

There are so many that it has its own Wikipedia entry

Unless you were critiquing his spelling of Martin Luther King in which case, yes, well done.

Yeah yeah yeah I spelled Luther wrong. I'll admit to the fact that my grammar is always consistently atrocious :P

#28 Posted by KHAndAnime (12712 posts) -

@Mcspanky37 said:

Some of the sentences seem exactly the same as Carolyn Petit's review, but with the word "racism" instead.

Bingo - why aren't all these comments redirected toward Petit?

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (85235 posts) -

#30 Edited by drinkerofjuice (3150 posts) -

There are as many black gangbangers as there are white methheads.

See? It all evens out.

#31 Edited by capaho (1253 posts) -

Whether or not it's racist I can't say but hearing the N word repeatedly makes me cringe because of the general implication. However, the conversations between the black characters in GTA V are not significantly different from the language in just about every rap or hip hop video.

#32 Posted by Ghost120x (3421 posts) -

No it is not. A game can't be racist because it is an inanimate object, therefore it can't have the belief that one race is superior to another. The people who make the game might be, but you can't really tell someone is racist unless you meet them in person and see how they act.

#33 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

For me, racism denotes hatred. And I don't see GTA hating any race, it hates everyone. Kinda like the South Park edict of "we pick on everyone".

That's not to say it's right, and you're certainly within your rights to be offended. But I wouldn't call what I've seen of GTA racist, no.

#34 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42233 posts) -

I mute the sections in which Michael and Lamar are in. Problem solved.

#35 Posted by siLVURcross (26099 posts) -

It would've been profoundly mentioned in the review!

#36 Posted by princeofshapeir (13323 posts) -

I'm sure you are the same person who watches South Park episodes and accuses Trey Parker and Matt Stone of being racist.

#37 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

As a white person I am extremely offended how white people in this game get portrayed as: Rednecks, Murderers, Thieves, Rapists, Sexual offenders, Kidnappers, etc etc...

Shame on you, Rockstar ! How dare you !

#38 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10643 posts) -

I think the game leaves no victims unharmed in the categories of people and issues it satires. The one thing that did tick me off though was the amount of n-words thrown around when a conversation takes place only between black people. Maybe that in itself is one of the satires, but I couldn't tell because I never participated in conversations between black people before.

#39 Posted by sukraj (20586 posts) -

I'm not a racist i'm asian but not a racist.