This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3047 posts) -

Link

[spoiler] They picked XCOM. It also swept the best PS3, 360, and PC game awards on GT. Surprised? I was. Anyway good for XCOM, I have it but i've yet to open it, but I can't wait to play it. [/spoiler]

#2 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -
That's extremely well deserved, XCOM: EU hasn't received anywhere near enough recognition. And quite surprising considering GT's GOTY history.
#3 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3047 posts) -
That's extremely well deserved, XCOM: EU hasn't received anywhere near enough recognition. And quite surprising considering GT's GOTY history. Floppy_Jim
Yeah I know right? I expected them to give it to AC3 or COD.
#4 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]That's extremely well deserved, XCOM: EU hasn't received anywhere near enough recognition. And quite surprising considering GT's GOTY history. ninjapirate2000
Yeah I know right? I expected them to give it to AC3 or COD.

This whole gen they've given the GOTY award to very mainstream, predictable choices (at the risk of sounding all hipstery). I'm glad XCOM picked up a win somewhere; it's a fantastic game, get it ASAP :D

#5 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

Not surprised. GT is always consistent.

It's an original AAA game, not some artsy non game "experience"

Good pick

#6 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -

It's an AAA game, not some artsy non game "experience"

Good pick

SuperFlakeman
Stop talking about Mario like that, its not nice
#7 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Good pick

Chris_Williams

This also includes The Walking Dead.

Hilarious and highly entertaining to "watch" on youtube, but there's no "play" aspect, well technically there is but it's incredibly shallow.

#8 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

At least it's not COD or HALO.

#9 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
Finally a non Journey/Mass Effect 3 GOTY winner.
#10 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

faizan_faizan

Halo has never won on GT

MW2 in 2009 is eh, not a good year overall. The only real contender was UC2 and while incredibly well done & polished, it's a generic TPS.

#11 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Good pick

SuperFlakeman

Hilarious and highly entertaining to "watch" on youtube, but there's no "play" aspect, well technically there is but it's incredibly shallow.

cool opinion, walking dead was a great click and point adventure, you know those are genres of games. But since you have a narrow view of videogames, leave game of the year choices to the big boys and keep suckling the teat of Nintendo. :)
#12 Posted by toast_burner (21725 posts) -

GT is usually awful. I was expecting CoD or Halo.

Pleasantly surprised by this.

#13 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] Stop talking about Mario like that, its not niceChris_Williams

cool opinion, walking dead was a great click and point adventure, you know those are genres of games. But since you have a narrow view of videogames, leave game of the year choices to the big boys and keep suckling the teat of Nintendo. :)

The genre itself is fine, it's the execution I'm worried about.

Sorry for demanding intellectual stimulation and/or challenge in my games.

#14 Posted by toast_burner (21725 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

Good pick

SuperFlakeman

The idea in the walking dead is the story changes depending on how you play. While it is fun to watch you are watching someone else's story, not your own.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (40874 posts) -
I still need to play it. Have it since release. My brother absolutely loved it though.
#16 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
No game really jumped out at me as game of the year this year. The games that are winning while good don't really seem GotY level good this year, but I can't really think of what would be more deserving either.
#17 Posted by khoofia_pika (13517 posts) -
... wut.
#18 Posted by mems_1224 (47229 posts) -
That's extremely well deserved, XCOM: EU hasn't received anywhere near enough recognition. And quite surprising considering GT's GOTY history. Floppy_Jim
IDK, I think it has. Its gotten praise from a lot of sites. Definitely one of the best releases this year.
#19 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

Honestly I thought it would be Blops 2 when I saw it won best shooter and multiplayer game.

#20 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42966 posts) -
Very surprising. I was expecting it to win at PC Gamer but they had chosen ME3. Oddly enough.
#21 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

I don't agree with their choice... but I respect it. At least it wasn't Journey that won.

XCOM was a decent game.... I couldn't be bothered to finish it though. It just felt too repetitive, not enough diversity in gameplay or locations.

#22 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Brilliant game, just a bit too buggy to win GOTY. Not like Skyrim either, the game is more confined than that and some of the bugs are inexcusable.
#23 Posted by funsohng (28104 posts) -

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

SuperFlakeman

Halo has never won on GT

MW2 in 2009 is eh, not a good year overall. The only real contender was UC2 and while incredibly well done & polished, it's a generic TPS.

It was still better than MW2 which was generic AND bad.
#24 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

It won GOTY at giant bomb, the only GOTY award that actually matters.

#25 Posted by Giancar (19068 posts) -

The only real contender was UC2 and while incredibly well done & polished, it's a generic TPS.SuperFlakeman
not a "mainstream game"
Hilarious and highly entertaining to "watch" on youtube, but there's no "play" aspect, well technically there is but it's incredibly shallow.SuperFlakeman
not a "risky game"

Yeah we now you Nintendo Land is your Goty, but please...

#26 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

Spike VGAs: The Walking Dead

Gamespot: Journey

Gametrailers: Xcom

I am impress.

#27 Posted by cloudff7tm (3975 posts) -

Very good choice.

#28 Posted by Icarian (1496 posts) -

cool opinion, walking dead was a great click and point adventure, you know those are genres of games. But since you have a narrow view of videogames, leave game of the year choices to the big boys and keep suckling the teat of Nintendo. :)Chris_Williams

Walking Dead is really shallow point and click adventure. I hate to use this term, but it is really dumped down point&click.

I'm glad they picked something else than COD. I was really worried for a moment after Shane's praise for that game. And XCOM is in my top 5.

#29 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Sursprising, I thought it was going be COD just like every year.

#30 Posted by 001011000101101 (3987 posts) -
Should've picked either Max Payne 3 or Mass Effect 3. Max Payne 3 wasn't even nominated, wtf?!
#31 Posted by Vatusus (4677 posts) -

Cant complaint. Only played the demo but it seemed good for what it was. I just dont like RTS kinda games so it did nothing for me.

The biggest surprise though was the lack of Halo 4 in the 360 category. It wasnt even nominated despite many people calling it the best Halo in the series... and GT is usually very generous to Halo games. Can this mean the series is really getting stagnant? It seems so...

#32 Posted by santoron (7769 posts) -
Nice! XCom deserves the exposure.
#33 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]The only real contender was UC2 and while incredibly well done & polished, it's a generic TPS.Giancar

not a "mainstream game"
Hilarious and highly entertaining to "watch" on youtube, but there's no "play" aspect, well technically there is but it's incredibly shallow.SuperFlakeman
not a "risky game"

I don't actually disagree with him nor do I think that Nintendo Land is a bad GOTY. By all accounts people who actually play it say its far deeper than it first appears and being a Nintendo game I don't really doubt that either.

I don't have a problem with Walking Dead winning GOTY awards but its not winning on its gameplay here, not even on its adventure style point and click puzzles because tons of games have done it far better. Its winning on its writing and I think its valid to disagree with that.

#34 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]The only real contender was UC2 and while incredibly well done & polished, it's a generic TPS.Giancar

not a "mainstream game"
not a "risky game"

I've never complained that almost every site ignored Nintendo Land even as a nominee. That's not what bothers me.

I complain about the picks themselves, because a game by principle that puts gameplay to the side should never even come close to winning these awards.

#35 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I've never complained that almost every site ignored Nintendo Land even as a nominee. That's not what bothers me.

I complain about the picks themselves, because a game by principle that puts gameplay to the side should never even come close to winning these awards.

SuperFlakeman

It's the idea that the medium of Video Games can be something more than "games." It's the idea of interacting with art as opposed to just playing something. It's not something I necessarily follow, but I support it.I understand it.

#36 Posted by 001011000101101 (3987 posts) -
Video game developers should always try and create something that is more than yet another videogame. Something Rockstar always succeeds in doing with their games.
#37 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Very deserving it is overlooked in my opinion by certain people.

#38 Posted by Masculus (2867 posts) -

That's surprising. It was a good game though it has it share of problems.

Maybe we'll get a sequel? A more polished and balanced one, hopefully!