GT: EA discontinues older online passes too.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/53283/eas-current-online-passes-are-going-free So not only are they getting rid of the online pass from future games, they are phasing it out of older games by making the pass free to download. Not that I'm one to take EA's claim they are listening to the customers at face value...but I'm not sure what they would achieve through this. Were they not as big of a money maker as they hoped, meaning an insignificant amount were buying used, or were people buying used just not interested in tacked on online. They want to bitch about lack of continuing revenue streams, yet discontinue ones they already have in place? What do you think, System Wars?
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Is that online passes only on 360 or on PS3 too?
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
Does anybody even play the older EA games online?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Is that online passes only on 360 or on PS3 too?RR360DD
They havn't been discounted yet on PS3, but should be according to what I read. My understanding of it anyways.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/53283/eas-current-online-passes-are-going-free So not only are they getting rid of the online pass from future games, they are phasing it out of older games by making the pass free to download. Not that I'm one to take EA's claim they are listening to the customers at face value...but I'm not sure what they would achieve through this. Were they not as big of a money maker as they hoped, meaning an insignificant amount were buying used, or were people buying used just not interested in tacked on online. They want to bitch about lack of continuing revenue streams, yet discontinue ones they already have in place? What do you think, System Wars?darkspineslayer

I heard about this weeks ago, I think.

They dimished their online community, which in turn hurt the Madden and other sports brands. They didn't like used games, but realize they were hurting their sales and brand ultimately.

Definitely good news in light of recent anti consumer policies being attempted by other companies.

This may be the best E3 we have had in five years.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
Does anybody even play the older EA games online?PurpleMan5000
But online passes for single player games were usually day one DLC so that will be free DA:O Golem character, Or Alice Madness returns came with the original game.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Does anybody even play the older EA games online?PurpleMan5000
Judging by that list, probably not, Skate 3 is the only one I can imagine anyone bothering to go online with these days (to play with friends anyway). Seems like they're removing online passes for newer games too though so that's nice for anyone getting those.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

EA has found out offline passes are the future.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
They don't need it anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
They don't need it anymore.zeroyaoi
What do they hope to accomplish though?
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

EA has now moved to offline passes. You can play online for free but the campaign and single player modes will now require a pass code, or $15 to unlock those modes. :D

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]Does anybody even play the older EA games online?Jack-Burton
But online passes for single player games were usually day one DLC so that will be free DA:O Golem character, Or Alice Madness returns came with the original game.

Oh sweet, my Shale code expired before I got to use her anyways.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Now I can play all of those great EA online games over the past 3 years!!!! Oh wait :(
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/53283/eas-current-online-passes-are-going-free So not only are they getting rid of the online pass from future games, they are phasing it out of older games by making the pass free to download. Not that I'm one to take EA's claim they are listening to the customers at face value...but I'm not sure what they would achieve through this. Were they not as big of a money maker as they hoped, meaning an insignificant amount were buying used, or were people buying used just not interested in tacked on online. They want to bitch about lack of continuing revenue streams, yet discontinue ones they already have in place? What do you think, System Wars?SolidTy

They dimished their online community, which in turn hurt the Madden and other sports brands. They didn't like used games, but realize they were hurting their sales and brand ultimately.

Definitely good news in light of recent anti consumer policies being attempted by other companies.

That's a pretty good analysis. 

I would also add - for the foreseeable future, how many online passes were they ever going to sell for these older games? My guess would be very few. So this isn't really a generous move so much as a calculated damage control move. 

Eliminating the need for passes for these older games might be perceived as generosity. Like Liquid is saying, this is probably to patch up any damage done to the brand. 

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/53283/eas-current-online-passes-are-going-free So not only are they getting rid of the online pass from future games, they are phasing it out of older games by making the pass free to download. Not that I'm one to take EA's claim they are listening to the customers at face value...but I'm not sure what they would achieve through this. Were they not as big of a money maker as they hoped, meaning an insignificant amount were buying used, or were people buying used just not interested in tacked on online. They want to bitch about lack of continuing revenue streams, yet discontinue ones they already have in place? What do you think, System Wars?psymon100

That's a pretty good analysis. 

I would also add - for the foreseeable future, how many online passes were they ever going to sell for these older games? My guess would be very few. So this isn't really a generous move so much as a calculated damage control move. 

Eliminating the need for passes for these older games might be perceived as generosity. Like Liquid is saying, this is probably to patch up any damage done to the brand. 

^ :P *Thumbs Up*