GS's Most Anticipated Games of 2014-No Cares About The Wii-U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Some of GS's staff talked about their most anticipated games of 2014 and out of the 10 games listed only one was a Wii-U game, Mario Kart 8, and no one really seemed to give two shits about it.

It's pretty sad (actually it's hilarious) when even media outlets start bashing on the Wii-U.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

It's sad that they consider themselves "gamers" and ignore the platform and games on it.

#3 Edited by Big_Pecks (5242 posts) -

GS doesn't really acknowledge Nintendo until the games come out and are "suddenly" raging successes. See: basically every first party release last year.

But to be fair, we don't know much about Wii U release dates. Mario Kart 8 is definite and Tropical Freeze is getting the shaft, but let's be honest, SSB4 and Zelda U aren't coming this year.

#4 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5544 posts) -

It's sad that they consider themselves "gamers" and ignore the platform and games on it.

Welcome to FascistSpot.

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3456 posts) -

So they're more excited about other games? So?

#6 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

That list not really that great IMO, but hey that's what Danny is hyped for. We all have different games we are looking forward to. I dont get hyped for anything from Ubisoft because when I do they disappoint me. It is best for me to ignore their games and wait until I can see many impressions. Destiny, Witcher 3 and DS2 are not on the list, so there is much more than just Nintendo being absent from the list.

#7 Edited by ActicEdge (24344 posts) -

Its nothing unusual, Nintendo games aren't really hype driven so them not getting hyped up huge is pretty common. A bunch of those most anticipated games will turn out mediocre as per usual. The actual game quality counts, not the anticipation.

#8 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42626 posts) -

If they didn't care, they wouldn't have listed any games for the Wii U.

#9 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11599 posts) -

This will surely doom the Wii U.

Poor Nintendno.

#10 Posted by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

To be far if X had a solid release date in 2014 the Wii-U should have a decent line up in 2014.

#11 Edited by Chozofication (2757 posts) -

paid monkeys

More bayonetta for me.

#12 Posted by g0ddyX (3905 posts) -

Well with soo many games on the horizon, the weakest console with the weakest support gets pushed aside.

#13 Posted by am_h8ter_ade (31 posts) -

Has anyone ever considered the fact the Gamespot is a business and perhaps Nintendo fans just aren't their target market. Gamespot seems to be mostly PS and Xbox fans, and some of them may also have a Nintendo system, but Gamespot has decided to focus on the other two platforms since that is where most of their readership comes from. Just like game developers, it only makes sense to focus resources on where the money is coming from. I love Nintendo, but Gamespot is certainly not my go to site for Nintendo news but I am not going to hate on them for it.

#14 Posted by silversix_ (14050 posts) -

Didn't watch but i hope dark souls 2 is on the list cuz if not GS sucks.

#15 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Didn't watch but i hope dark souls 2 is on the list cuz if not GS sucks.

It was indeed.

#16 Posted by KBFloYd (13122 posts) -

this point guy doesnt care for wiiU games...

he made a video before ..is the wiiu doomed? and im not kidding....this is what he said "there is no game coming out for wiiU in 2014 that looks must have or anything"

#17 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26267 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

this point guy doesnt care for wiiU games...

he made a video before ..is the wiiu doomed? and im not kidding....this is what he said "there is no game coming out for wiiU in 2014 that looks must have or anything"

Yeah, I'm sure Danny is a decent guy by how he acts in his videos, but you can tell he just never really cared for Nintendo. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our different tastes, but still. That Wii U failure video he made just showed it.

#18 Posted by handssss (1820 posts) -

how many games last gen skipped coming to the wii, or did but were so heavily gimped due to either missing features or the consoles online shortcomings, that one shouldn't even bother? It's happening again with the Wii U. Most great games are multiplat

Nintendo makes good games, but it's only the same old IPs that they've been relying on for decades now that are able to survive. They try and make a new attempt and nobody even cares. The old IPs? Slowly losing steam and not for everybody.

#19 Posted by dr_jashugan (2552 posts) -

No one cares for the WiiU > WiiU

#20 Posted by Bigboi500 (29286 posts) -

I remember a year or so ago when the Vita first came out, and GS was saying Vita had better software than the 3DS did. Needless to say I don't take what they say very seriously these days...

#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (7791 posts) -

Most anticipated game = What sponsors told them to advertise

#22 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

I am so surprised.

/Sarcasm.

#23 Edited by superbuuman (2676 posts) -

X by Monolith Soft is the game I want most so I hope its a 2014 release. Everyone have their own likes..they did mention Mario Kart..so its not like no one cares..just very little interest, can you really blame them tho...Nintendo have been flip flopping with Wii U. Its not like it selling really well & getting still ignored like Wii. :p

#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

@handssss said:

@foxhound_fox said:

how many games last gen skipped coming to the wii, or did but were so heavily gimped due to either missing features or the consoles online shortcomings, that one shouldn't even bother? It's happening again with the Wii U. Most great games are multiplat

Nintendo makes good games, but it's only the same old IPs that they've been relying on for decades now that are able to survive. They try and make a new attempt and nobody even cares. The old IPs? Slowly losing steam and not for everybody.

And how many non-Nintendo exclusives from last gen are in the top-25 of all time high-rated games on Metacritic? Just one: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. The Wii also had the most highly-rated exclusives last gen.

#25 Edited by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

@handssss said:

@foxhound_fox said:

And how many non-Nintendo exclusives from last gen are in the top-25 of all time high-rated games on Metacritic? Just one: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. The Wii also had the most highly-rated exclusives last gen.

There were only a couple of Wii exclusives in that same "list", so how does this refute his point in any way that the Wii missed *ALOT* of multiplat games?

Regardless of how many systems it sold, I find the Wii the same as the Gamecube. Worth it for about 10-15 Nintendo games, after that? Not really. So far the Wii-U is struggling to even get the 10-15 really great Nintendo games, I'm sure by the end of the gen it will but right now it's pretty dire. I'm with the article/Gamespot, there is nothing I'm really hyped for.

I have relatively high interest for a few games (X, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami). As these games finally come out, I'm sure I will look at Wii-U. The problem is they will probably feel 'dated' even when they come out, but if they are quality enough that shouldn't matter too much. It's just hard to really be "hyped" for them anymore.

#26 Edited by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

I remember a year or so ago when the Vita first came out, and GS was saying Vita had better software than the 3DS did. Needless to say I don't take what they say very seriously these days...

Vita actually did have better software, as well as better OS, hardware... and pretty much everything about it is better.

That being said, lack of sales has ultimately doomed the Vita (or at least like it seems the software is ultimately drying up, and it's even disappearing from retail). It doesn't seem to have much of a future, whereas the 3DS should still get outstanding support for quite awhile.

#27 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6527 posts) -

@foxhound_fox: Whoopty fucking doo about Metacritic. You seem to have skipped his question about how many games skipped the Wii, which is a mountainfull.

#28 Edited by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

TBH, Nintendo was only relevant back in the 1990s.

#29 Posted by Blabadon (25897 posts) -

What he actually meant was...

@Cyberdot said:

TBH, I only ever played and can judge Nintendo back in the 1990s.

#30 Posted by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Cyberdot said:

That's true - with good old Gameboy.

If Nintendo put out games that interest me and cut the gimmicks out, I would have bought Nintendo consoles these days.

#31 Posted by Blabadon (25897 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@Blabadon said:

@Cyberdot said:

That's true - with good old Gameboy.

If Nintendo put out games that interest me and cut the gimmicks out, I would have bought Nintendo consoles these days.

Ignorance is bliss, still running strong in your bones man.

#32 Edited by Speak_Low (927 posts) -

Nintendo is irrelevant and the Wii U will be dead and done in 2015

Also, there's not much to talk about with Nintendo's upcoming games. What are they going to say about MK8 or SSB?

Bayo 2 has such a stupid storyline that it won't be worth talking about. X has no information and they release a 3-second clip every 6 months.

Any company that has the least to talk about with their upcoming games will be dead in sales.

#33 Edited by GamingGod999 (2952 posts) -

What must follow everything that Gamespot says!

#34 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24864 posts) -

You linked to the wrong video, but yeah I think they added Mario Kart 8 in there as a joke because Everyone of those guys had something to say about all the games before then.

1. WatchDogs - Only concern they had was that it was delayed and are worried because of that it will suck. But Hey it's on PS4!
  2. Darksouls 2 - Gamespot loves Dark Souls.
  3. The Witness - It's Colorful and No one actually knows what the game is about, but it's on the PS4 (actually I think Gamespot editors couldn't give a crap about this game either, but why add it?).
  4. Infamous: Second Son - HOLY CRAP IT'S INFAMOUS NEXT GEN NEXT GEN! OH OH OH!
  5. The Division - Some actually think it's going to be 2015.
  6. Titanfall - We should get Xbox Ones.
  7. Metal Gear Solid V - We don't know what it's about, but it's Metal Gear!
  8. Destiny - BUNGIE DUDES!!!
  9. The Witcher 3 - Dem Graphics
  10. Mario Kart 8 - LOL WiiU, but seriously no one cares.

This was the video in a nutshell.

(the video itself if you are curious)

Seriously though they chose Mario Kart 8 as their Most Anticipated WiiU game, BUT NOT BAYONETTA 2????? What the heck?

#35 Edited by meluvulongtime8 (1388 posts) -

I thought it was funny how they all said they were going to play Dark Souls 2, but basically they are all terrible at the Souls series.

#36 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13986 posts) -

Because Nintendo has nothing to deliver other than rehashes.

#37 Posted by trugs26 (5287 posts) -

I'm looking forward to 2014 on the Wii U. Hopefully we'll see Mario Kart 8 in the first half of the year.

#38 Posted by McStrongfast (4263 posts) -

I'm forever mystified by how Watch Dogs guy folds his jacket to create those creases.