graphics matter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

geordie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 geordie73
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts

i hear so many people whinge on about this and thats it's not next gen if it's only improved graphics blahdy blah. graphics do matter and every gen had it's fair share of bog standard games. if graphics didn't matter we would all still be happy with pong and space invaders and pac man etc. games will not vastly change in the future (only improved ai and bigger worlds etc...), the only huge leaps will be how they look, so yeah great graphics bring it on

if thats not what you want then why did you get a this gen system?

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

i hear so many people whinge on about this and thats it's not next gen if it's only improved graphics blahdy blah. graphics do matter and every gen had it's fair share of bog standard games. if graphics didn't matter we would all still be happy with pong and space invaders and pac man etc. games will not vastly change in the future (only improved ai and bigger worlds etc...), the only huge leaps will be how they look, so yeah great graphics bring it on

geordie73

But, gameplay is, and always will be more important.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts
I agree graphics do matter and can make a below average game like uncharted average
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
and thats why the wii is winning? gameplay > graphics.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
They matter the very least for the average game. If a game is supposed to be atmospheric then it matters a lot.
geordie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 geordie73
[QUOTE="geordie73"]

thrones

oh for heavens sake, yes we all know that, you miss my point

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="geordie73"]

geordie73

That graphics (Or power) can also affect gameplay. 2D to 3D?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23055 Posts

geordie73

I think your point is lost on 70% of the population. I don't really care for graphical bumps much anymore (I did in the Unreal Engine 1 days and prior, but I've since grown out of it). It seems like a lot of gamers take a similar approach.

Realistically, look at the popular games/gaming consoles of the past. The PS1 and PS2 had some of the worst graphics of their generation. The GTA series had pretty awful graphics and Counter Strike is still being played today by a large amount of people, but they are adored. Sure, there are some games that have a lot of fans that sell well (MGS, Gran Turismo, etc) but the fact that two of the most cherished consoles and at least two (4 if you count all of the GTA 3 engine based games) of the most cherished games in history had bad graphics, I would say most people don't pay too much attention.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

ure predictions of games in the future are, imho, possibly the absolute worst case scenario TC. the same games...only better looking....bloody hell talk about boring and repatative.....and boring. no more thinking outside the box and trying new things...its graphics all the way. hell devs could be replaced by monkeys then...just stick to the template and make it pertier. yah....not a good future at all there.

i hope ive just misundertsud u TC.

do graphics matter? the more i think about it....the more i think "not as much anymore". i mean yes we want improvements from pong levels but...were there. we have big epic 3d worlds. we have pretty detailed physics and some very clever ai (oddly enough especially in older games like outcast), we have a draw distance thats as big as the horizon in real life. were there. all devs can do now is refine it and improve it in certain places. its a linear progression along a very narrow path. sooner or later (and sooner than u think) graphics are going to get to a point where ppl are going to stop caring about the differences between gens. were already seeing it.....graphics are hitting the area of diminishing returns.

ive played crysis on V.High and it is absolutely gorgeous. would i be willing to cough up more for a new GPU that can add an extra level of sheen to the game or a future game? the more i think about it...the more i think "no...its not worth it". im going to completly ignore the 9 series geforce cards and ill probably ignore the 10 series also. i might get he 11 series if the difference is big enough (in terms of actual results, not just on paper specs) but thats a long way away.

yes graphics matter in that 3d worlds and that kind of thing are important.....i absolutely agree. but i really think that, at this stage, the importance of graphical advancement (and i am seperating graphical advancement from horsepower advancement here..thats a different argument) is diminishing and diminishing fast. at this stage its just turning into an extra level of polish thats no big deal at the end of the day.

i hope this console gen is a long long gen, so long that devs will be forced to use the consoles horsepower in more creative ways instead of just making the same game again, only pertier.

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts

i didn't buy a wii because i knew i would be getting things that were similar to ps2. hate to sound fanboyish but i dont like simple games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

geordie73

Well, I DO still play Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Q-Bert, etc.

Second, you are coming at this from the wrong angle. You are basically saying Graphics matter because people are blind consumers looking for any excuse to dump more money on new devices they believe define who they are as human beings.

Isn't that technically why people buy new technology? It's not because they need it or because they think it matters. They buy it becuase they WANT it and believe it defines them.

One could easily make the point that we buy new console because we HAVE TO. Corporations make consoles and they can't continue to have increasing income every quarter if they ride a console until nobody buys it anymore. They have to release new consoles CONSTANTLY if they hope to keep making money (and profits) in the gaming industry. For marketing purposes, graphics absolutely matter a great deal because that is their primary method of selling a console to the blind consumers. After all, why would people pay money for a new Playstation if it was no different from the PS2 in terms of graphics? Who would care? But wow them with shiny new graphics and you have a sale!

Speaking of marketing, developers use graphics to market their games and to give the consumer an excuse to buy Madden for the 30th time. It gives people an excuse to buy yet another FPS - just like all the others - without feeling like they are buying the exact same game over and over.

But in terms of whether or not graphics matter when it comes to making a great game that people like? No. Gameplay is what make people like a game. The graphics are icing on the cake. While graphics will get the foot in the door, ultimately the reviews and customer word of mouth will make or break ANY game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

i didn't buy a wii because i knew i would be getting things that were similar to ps2. hate to sound fanboyish but i dont like simple games.

hip-hop-cola2

Define simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
the wii is winning because Gameplay > grafics, they serve a great pourpouse, but only like 1/4 of the game experiance
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

geordie73

My Gamecube and Xbox could play Wii and 360 games!? :shock: I'm destroying them right after I finish Super Smash Bros. Brawl. :x

Anyways, more power has allowed for things like the jump to 3D (I'd be a liar to say that it didn't affect gameplay at all), larger environments, better character models, better lighting, better animation, physics, and more numerous and complex A.I among other things which add to the immersion factor.

However, there are many games that couldn't possibly be better in almost any way, including immersion factor. You could try giving a massive upgrade to some games and you'd still feel the exact same way you felt about it before.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Yes they do. Condemned 2 wouldn't have been that cool without the graphics and ****. However, Snatcher still pwns.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I think your point is lost on 70% of the populationmattbbpl

Why should that matter?
NFS102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 NFS102
Member since 2007 • 27011 Posts

Gameplay is more important. If you think graphics aremore important, well have fun with Lair.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wemhim
"Gameplay is more important". Yes, we get that everyone. Guess what? Nutrition is more important than having sex/masturbation. Try becoming a celibate for the rest of your life...
hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
[QUOTE="hip-hop-cola2"]

ZIMdoom

Define simple.

granted, not every 360 or ps3 game is complicated. im talking about lots happening on screen like fire fights, or new weired features which need better hardware. i haven't seen anything on the wii which would be impossible on older systems (minus the motion sensing features).

maybe im super wrong? i dont mind being proven wrong lol

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
"Gameplay is more important". Yes, we get that everyone. Guess what? Nutrition is more important than having sex/masturbation. Try becoming a celibate for the rest of your life...wemhim

:lol::lol::lol:

You're my hero.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23055 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I think your point is lost on 70% of the populationTeufelhuhn

Why should that matter?

I'm just saying that most people don't care about the graphical detail of titles. Things such as gameplay tend to take precedence. Hence the strong sales of the Wii, PS2, PS1...

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
they do matter, but not a whole lot. im playing pokemon blue as we speak! graphics matter when they are used to enhance an expeience or help tell a story. pointless graphics upgrades get you nowhere. look at the wii, its not pefect but it does a good job with comparitivly pifling graphics and the ps2 is still in it.
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#24 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Graphics matter just as much as everything else, when people say otherwise they're just defending their favorite system, I remember people bashing Resident Evil 4 for PS2 for the graphics, all Nintendo GameCube fans.....now they all have a Wii and the rhetoric has changed....
voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

the same logic applies for every other area of gaming though

for example... do you enjoy playing fps games with an atari paddle? well then that means controllers had to evolve at one point

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Graphics have always mattered; this is nothing new.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wemhim

the same logic applies for every other area of gaming though

for example... do you enjoy playing fps games with an atari paddle? well then that means controllers had to evolve at one point

voxware00
Exactly, it all matters.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
video games are a visual medium, anyone who says they dont care are lying imo.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wemhim
video games are a visual medium, anyone who says they dont care are lying imo.killzowned24
Close your eyes and have an awesome time.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts
of course graphics matter... i say gameplay and graphics have to move steps forward together along techmology... here i read that 70% of the gamers dont think graphics are important or at least really important... I say thats bs... ask those who got the PS3 or Xbox360 how they compare games and how better they look than anything last-gen consoles had to offer... ask hermits how much they spend upgrading their rigs in order to get the most of new games coming out in terms of graphics... Apparently only sheep seem not to care much about graphics simply because being nintendo fanboys and knowing how inferior graphically the Wii is they have to hide behind the excuse that gameplay is the only thing taht matters... Everyone else knows that gameplay is essential as are the GRAPHICS, otherwise we could have well remained in the 8 bit era....
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
But I think you all are wrong. It all depends on what market youre looking at. Do you know how many people spend hours a day on yahoo playing those simple, cheesy looking games. And most of them dont own consoles. They play those games because they are fun and it passes the time at the office. They dont care about textures or polygons. Hell I like to play texas hold 'em on the little lcd handheld when im dropping a deuce because its easier than bringing in the psp or ds. Most gamers look at the world of gaming differently because they play games for different reasons. But to a large majority of the world graphics dont make a difference.
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Innovation and great gameplay can happen in ANY platform. The advantage is offering developers the capability of outputting great graphics and realism if they want/require for their games. I like my Katamari and Okami like everyone else but I'll also enjoy MGS and GT realism.

Limiting developers is never a good idea.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
graphics do matter almost as much as gameplay it help make the game
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

and thats why the wii is winning? gameplay > graphics.shoeman12

Always such a dumb argument since more processing power allows for much better interactivity and immersiveness that adds to the gameplay. Gameplay isn't some measurable quantity you like add more to in a game at the cost of graphics. The best games always have great graphics and gameplay to go with it.

The Wii is winning because of the controller gimmick. It adds a false sense of interactivity that quickly wears thin. If anything it has detracted gameplay depth with such a huge push to make every game retard simple.

Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts

and thats why the wii is winning? gameplay > graphics.shoeman12

so if SMG had it graphics removed( which were really good) and had mario64 graphics pasted over it , would it had gotten the score

BOTH MATTER EQUALLY

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts
Actually...graphics don't matter. They are just a bonus if they are good. I still play snes and n64. Maybe if you started gaming on an xbox or ps2 it does...
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

geordie73

But it's like the Wii set graphics backwards it just only slightly improved them (SMG) from last gen but at the end of the gen sure it's game ain't going to be beautiful compared to the 360, PS3 and PC but they will still be nice and much better than last gen. So your missing the point.

bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts
hmmm If Graphics matter then why do I keep play Star Wars Galaxies, BF2, Duke3d, the Lucasarts games, GTA 3, VC, SA e.t.c ..... Because the games are enjoyable... I picked up No More Heroes and the Graphics aint great the gameplay is so damm good I kinda forget about the graphics
neo__jc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 neo__jc
Member since 2005 • 53 Posts

geordie73

ok mr graphic whore, first yeah graphics do matter nice looking graphics improves the enjoyment of a game but theres a limit, theres a point in wich no mater how realistic graphics are you focus more gameplay and/or story of a game, if graphics were the most important thing we will be wathing semi interactive uber high def cgi movies insted of playing games....
Dion4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dion4ever
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
I'd still be happy with graphics on the Nintendo 64 to be honest. Graphics don't have to be that good as they are today, just 3D and I'll be happy.
M3tro1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 M3tro1d
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts
I must admit I am enjoying playing through Lost Odyssey, the graphics being one of te reasons, it's a very pretty game in places. If it looked like a SNES game it woudn't be the same...
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Not really.. I've seen my fair share of games with great graphics an average gameplay. Simply put I've been playing GTA3 these past few weeks and it's better than most of graphical master piece games out this gen. Graphics matter but there not needed and are not important to make a good game fun. They just need to be at certain level of graphics to be torable for me to play. I can still put up with PS1/PS2 graphics in my games. But obviously I wouldn't put up with playing a game with those calibur graphics on a next gen console.

The idea of thinking everyone will still be playing pong if graphics didn't matter that much is plain stupid. It's all a matter of what limit graphics should be. They've upgraded enough for people to not even care about them that much. PS2 graphics are as torable as they get really. The graphical master piece games like Crysis are just eye candy really.

bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bf2nutta

I'll give you an example when Monkey Island moved from the normal point and click to the 3D World it did not improve the game and made it worse... Also the Lucasart Indianna Jones when they moved to 3D world and to 3rd Person it they were not as good...

I am not saying this is true for all but just an example of what happens when Graphics are improved on certain franchises.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
[QUOTE="geordie73"]

thrones

yes you are right but who said we cant have both ?
bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bf2nutta

legol1

yes you are right but who said we cant have both ?

But aren't there games with great graphics which have completely forgot about the gameplay?
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
There wouldn't be analog stick gameplay without 3D graphics.
geordie73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 geordie73

a bit of a mixed bag here! look i posted this cos i love graphics and yes i repeat, gameplay is more important. i've been playing games since the 80's and i remember first seeing stuff on the atari st after playing on my msx and being blown away, i still get that buzz from seeing a gorgeous game now.

so lets look at this from another view, take movies. we've all seen sfx laden films that are crap, great looking but devoid of any interest. there's plenty of games like that. now look at say LOTR, a classic story, timeless infact, lets say the films had been made in the 80's we can all agree the sfx would be crap, but it would not have taken anything away from a great story. but thankfully they were made when cgi could do justice to the story and it's a better experience for it. is it not? thats my point about graphics, and graphics do improve gaming experience. a game like condemned would not have had the same amount of atmosphere if it looked like a ps1 game. there will always be crap games with good graphics, but we are getting to a stage when good games should have good graphics too, which means a well rounded experience for us all