Graphics Comparison

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm not sure why everyone has to squabble about minor graphical differences. I realize this is system wars, but really when I see someone make a thread saying that _____ game looks horrible, I'm left scratching my head in wonderment how such a statement can be honestly stated.

Aging myself a bit, I grew up on NES and Genesis. Everything was blocky unless we were lucky and got something that looked close to cartoon graphics. I as well as many other older gamers know what horrible graphics are and the next gen doesn't have horrible graphics. Not even WiiU regardless that it's graphically a generation behind.

I think you younger gamers are simply spoiled. I think you guys would do well to take a month and only play NES, SNES or Genesis and only those systems for that month. Then maybe you'll appreciate what you guys actually have.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Trying to take the fun out of SW's? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

This is not the nineties unfortunately, although i wish it was as we would have much better games.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm not sure why everyone has to squabble about minor graphical differences. I realize this is system wars, but really when I see someone make a thread saying that _____ game looks horrible, I'm left scratching my head in wonderment how such a statement can be honestly stated.

Aging myself a bit, I grew up on NES and Genesis. Everything was blocky unless we were lucky and got something that looked close to cartoon graphics. I as well as many other older gamers know what horrible graphics are and the next gen doesn't have horrible graphics. Not even WiiU regardless that it's graphically a generation behind.

I think you younger gamers are simply spoiled. I think you guys would do well to take a month and only play NES, SNES or Genesis and only those systems for that month. Then maybe you'll appreciate what you guys actually have.

im also from the snes era and i disagree, at the time games, expectations and standards were different, ffs windows 98se was considered one of the best, would you go back to it? As time passes those things change, standards get better and we come to expect better things. My standard right now is 1080p and 60fps, its been around for too long on pc and machines released in 2013 are still 720p and 30 fps? thats disgraceful

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm not sure why everyone has to squabble about minor graphical differences.

No !

They where minor last gen , this gen it's a pretty big gap actually .

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Krelian-co: I agree that times and expectations change but I still appreciate what next gen brings. I'm sure you remember far less bickering back in the 16bit days. Sure, you told people which system you liked better and why but at the end you shut up and played what was in front of you happy to try out something different.

And yes, I go back to previous gen systems and games all the time. Just two nights ago, I put Destruction Derby (PS1) in my PS3 and did a few "races". I had a blast. Even my Genesis still works after 22 years and I play that from time to time.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

LMFAO. Minor graphical difference?

Let's get something straight: PS4 games running at 1080P vs 720p on Xbone? That's 1,152,000 pixels per frame, on the console that's $100 cheaper.

The resolution difference between PS4 and Xbone is bigger then the difference between Xbox 360 and PS2.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

lots of system warriors use graphics to slander the opposition's machine.

hence why hiding behind the PC is so common.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@psymon100 said:

lots of system warriors use graphics to slander the opposition's machine.

hence why hiding behind the PC is so common.

that and PC has better games

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I remember when the xbox launched, obliterated PS2 in power and was even ahead of PCs.. 360 launched and was ahead of PCs, and still had a better gpu than the PS3 even though it came out a year eariler.. Now the xb0ne is coming out with a 2 year old, entry level, irrelevant GPU. Focus on that irrelevant camera.. Times have changed son. Microsoft is a joke right now

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Let's get something straight: PS4 games running at 1080P vs 720p on Xbone? That's 1,152,000 pixels per frame, on the console that's $100 cheaper.

The resolution difference between PS4 and Xbone is bigger then the difference between Xbox 360 and PS2.

So you can "see" a difference?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

@Pray_to_me said:

So you can "see" a difference?

From 720p to 1080p? It's not exactly very hard to see a difference between the two.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

low-high settings also generally bring a small graphical improvement.

It all depends how far back from the screen you are and if your vision is 20/20 or not.

also a high bloom level is generally better looking than having a correct HDR algorithm. I really don't see how anyone can dispute this.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Telekill said:

Standards were different and always change. The same graphics battles raged on between SNES and Genesis versions of games. People were awed by how realistic those blocky graphics were. MK was basically the point were photorealistic became part of the gamer dialect. When watched from todays perspective and standards it's complete nonsense, but that's how it was back then with those standards.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

@Telekill said:

what are you talking about? Yoshi's island on the snes has better graphics than most platformers today

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I still think some Mega-Drive games look better than games released today.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I had the huge inconsistencies with people around here in regards to comparing graphics.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

i think ps4/0ne games look awesome so far....and will get even better in the future

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

TC, what can I tell you? Things change. Standards change. The Sega Master had much better graphics than the NES....

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts
@Pray_to_me said:

Seems like a big deal if you ignore diminishing returns.

I mean the difference between 30 and 60 fps is only 30 frames. The difference between 60 and 120 fps, is twice as large! Yet the difference between 30 and 60fps is far more noticeable while the difference between 60 and 120fps is barely noticeable.

I dont expect a major noticeable difference in graphics, and COD is the greatest example, other titles have more parity and i imagine the gap will likely only shrink as time goes on.

However price is a major concern. To myself and i think most normal people, the deciding factor will probably be the price and features offered by the OS and online service... things that are far more obvious. I know thats why im personally waiting to see featuresets of the consoles reviewed once they are released in order to make up my mind. Outside of rabid fanboys on the internet, thats probably what its going to come down to for the average gamer. For instance having a hands free universal remote and media hub is a pretty awesome feature if it works properly, and its something far more noticeable to the average consumer than a 720p upscaled vs 1080p native image in a single title.

EDIT: And frankly to any true gamer, the deciding factor should be which console has the games that interest them the most. While better graphics is certainly something to think about, its probably the least important factor for me, and i imagine most people.