Grand Theft Auto 3 Graphics King? (56k)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

So i decided to treat myself to some grand theft auto 3 on my PS2 today, and i realised how jaw dropping the graphics are, literally i spent 20 minutes on the docks dribbling over those water effects

I'm level 9 with 6% to go to level 10, close enough!

Photo_00425.jpg

Photo_00422.jpg

Those fogg effects are ahead of it's time

Photo_00416.jpg

Say what you want, but this game holds up so well

#2 Posted by MrYaotubo (2635 posts) -
Yep,an over a decade old game that still looks better than current gen pokemon,what a great feat!
#3 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

Yep,an over a decade old game that still looks better than current gen pokemon,what a great feat!MrYaotubo

I agree, no game from 2001 can match up to this, hell grand theft auto 3 looks better then the entire Wii Library and most cod games

#4 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Free_Milk 2.0

#5 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]Yep,an over a decade old game that still looks better than current gen pokemon,what a great feat!Meeeper282

I agree, no game from 2001 can match up to this, hell grand theft auto 3 looks better then the entire Wii Library and most cod games

Pretty sure Halo: CE and Final Fantasy X look better, to name a few.
#6 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]Yep,an over a decade old game that still looks better than current gen pokemon,what a great feat!DarkLink77

maybe the remake, but not the original, this game is a ps360 game somehow crafted by godstar onto the PS2

#7 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Meeeper282

maybe the remake, but not the original, this game is a ps360 game somehow crafted by godstar onto the PS2

Indeed. And then godstar made two more gta games, with better graphics than 3, still on the PS2. They truly are gods among men.

#8 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7346 posts) -

Gran Turismo 3 > Gta 3.

#9 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

[spoiler] meeper_zpsbc2344d0.jpg?t=1352881490 [/spoiler]

#10 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
At the time it looked great but ive gone back too and really you notice a lot of things not so great. The "picture" of an engine for the cars, lack of shattering glass, terrible pop in and occasional blue hell, most roof tops are either not there or not solid (not that you were really supposed to see that but still), and i could go on. I still love the game and will probably be my all time favorite game ever, but the graphics do not hold up well at all.
#11 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Well, the PC version, especially when modded, most certainly still has its charms! :)

#12 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

modded gta san andreas w iceenhancer.....jesus it actually matches some current gen games i should know i used to use it :P

#13 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

Now almost level 7.

#14 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

It actually looks a bit cel-shaded.

#15 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Cheleman
LMFAO. What is under his arms?
#16 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Killzonage

i dunno:P

#17 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16296 posts) -

Meeeper282

So that means we'll get more threads like this ?

:'(

#18 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -

[QUOTE="Killzonage"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Cheleman

i dunno:P

Oh god pika pika.
#19 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

R4gn4r0k

So that means we'll get more threads like this ?

:'(

If your lucky ;)

#20 Posted by sukraj (22131 posts) -

this game looks real sweet.

#21 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Mafia looked better tbh.

GTA3 is full of low-rez blurry textures and somewhat blocky objects since the PS2 wasn't capable of better.

#22 Posted by clyde46 (44900 posts) -
Lol at the photos of the screen. Lr2 to take screenshots noob.
#23 Posted by SecretPolice (21479 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Meeeper282

Pfft, Halo CE, DOA3, PGR, all Xbox launch games > GTA3. :P

#24 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Looks way better on my Nexus 7 with dem Tegra 3 graphics!

#25 Posted by Tynrils (40 posts) -

FFX imo

#27 Posted by Silenthps (7275 posts) -
I've always thought it looked ugly even when it first was released.
#28 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

PS2 graphics king is either FFXII or God of War 2. I'd give it to FFXII for the scope of the game though rather than small paths and fixed camera angles.

#29 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6626 posts) -

Uhhh Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Ico and Gran Turismo 3, ALL from 2001 had better graphics.

#30 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6626 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Pretty sure Halo: CE and Final Fantasy X look better, to name a few.SecretPolice

Not even close in terms of graphics.. If we're talking game QUALITY you couldn't be wrong.. GTA3 was the best game of last gen.. along with Half Life 2.
#31 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4340 posts) -

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Mozelleple112

Not even close in terms of graphics.. If we're talking game QUALITY you couldn't be wrong.. GTA3 was the best game of last gen.. along with Half Life 2.

Wasn't even the best GTA game. Halo 1/2 and Vice City/San Andreas were the best games last gen.

#33 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16116 posts) -

I always thought the previous GTA games looked ugly.

#34 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6626 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Pfft, Halo CE, DOA3, PGR, all Xbox launch games > GTA3. :P

JohnnyCageMK

Wasn't even the best GTA game. Halo 1/2 and Vice City/San Andreas were the best games last gen.

Halo 1/2? good joke. Maybe if you didn't have a PS2 or PC back then.GTA VC/SA were better games, but didn't have ANY WHERE NEAR the impact GTA3 did when it released in 2001. Open worlds were basically unheard of...

Half Life 2 ,Grand Theft Auto III, Final Fantasy X,Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 2, God of War II, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Halo CE, Grand Turismo 3, God of War, Halo 2, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 SSX 3, etc are all great contenders for the top 20 best games of last gen.. but GTA3, GTA SA and HL2 were clearly above the rest.

#35 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6626 posts) -

JangoWuzHere
The previous? ALL GTA games look FUGLY.
#36 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16116 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Mozelleple112

The previous? ALL GTA games look FUGLY.

GTA4 looked great, I still think it looks good.

#37 Posted by darkhadou (646 posts) -
I believe Resident Evil: Remake takes the pie
#38 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

I remember Aquanox (2001) on the PC as looking pretty good. I had one free included with my video card of the time. A benchmark app was even made from it:

aquamark2012-11-1413-48-23-26.jpg

aquamark2012-11-1413-48-47-39.jpg

aquamark2012-11-1413-51-25-74.jpg

#39 Posted by RTCWGR1SCRB6H2 (267 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnnyCageMK"]

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"] Not even close in terms of graphics.. If we're talking game QUALITY you couldn't be wrong.. GTA3 was the best game of last gen.. along with Half Life 2.Mozelleple112

Halo 1/2? good joke. Maybe if you didn't have a PS2 or PC back then.GTA VC/SA were better games, but didn't have ANY WHERE NEAR the impact GTA3 did when it released in 2001. Open worlds were basically unheard of...

Half Life 2 ,Grand Theft Auto III, Final Fantasy X,Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 2, God of War II, Metal Gear Solid 3, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Halo CE, Grand Turismo 3, God of War, Halo 2, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 SSX 3, etc are all great contenders for the top 20 best games of last gen.. but GTA3, GTA SA and HL2 were clearly above the rest.

If you prefer multiplayer over single player then halo 2 was the best game last gen
#40 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -
Yeah a lot of games looked better than GTA3. I thought it was an ugly game even back then.
#41 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1208 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]Yep,an over a decade old game that still looks better than current gen pokemon,what a great feat!DarkLink77

Agreed, FFX and Halo look much better. Now given the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2, it's natural that it looks better than a PS2 game, but FFX is also a PS2 exclusive, so it beats GTA III on its own ground.

GTA has never been top for "graphics" but for being a large open world.

#42 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

It actually looks a bit cel-shaded.

Blazerdt47

Your sig is like, the best. Ever.

#43 Posted by SPBoss (3630 posts) -
I would say that GTA3 was THE game changer. How many open world games started getting developed after the success of GTA3!
#44 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24886 posts) -

10/10

would save.

#45 Posted by JohnF111 (14051 posts) -

So some off camera, grainy video stills are proof of graphics? Well I don't think I'll argue with the clear undisputed evidence you gave :roll:

#46 Posted by gamefan67 (9876 posts) -

Well, the PC version, especially when modded, most certainly still has its charms! :)

Rocker6
This, the ps2 version looks like ass
#47 Posted by ChaltierX (1128 posts) -

Chrono Trigger looks better and that was on the SNES.

#48 Posted by super600 (30294 posts) -

My eyes are burning.:cry:

#49 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

If GTA3 on the PS2 holds up well. So does this:

PS2FIFA09-2.jpg

#50 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -
Soul Calibur graphics > all other console games that gen