Gran Turismo, MGS and Final Fantasy are System Sellers? I argue against!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GGNoRematch
Member since 2007 • 368 Posts

With the Install base of the PS2.. selling 6 million copies of one game on that system is like 1 million on the Xbox 360... on the PS3 it's like 500k

So are they system sellers? That's a tough one to answer..The MGS series has sold 3 to 5 million copies each.. to a userbase of 100+ million..

So are they system sellers? The Logical answer would be no.. they are not.. since the Attach rate isn't amazing or anything..

Gran Turismo 4 sold around 8.79 copies on the PS2 ...but the PS2 has sold 100+ million

Halo2 sold 8.28 copies .. while the Xbox only sold around 30 million systems..

I know I'm going to get flamed but oh well..

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
They are systen sellers plain and simple.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
The user base was not 100+ million when MGS2 and GT4 came out. These games are system sellers. Final Fantasy goes without saying.
ChrisMun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChrisMun
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Concidering the lack of PS3 games now, I think in the long run, yes they will be system sellers. They're frachises that are recognized and have good (and decent) sales numbers to back them up. But I say they are.
amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amorbis1001
Member since 2007 • 2281 Posts
I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.amorbis1001

I'm pretty sure GT4 sold the most out of every game you just mentioned (compared to one FF at a time, of course).

amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 amorbis1001

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.Vyse_The_Daring

I'm pretty sure GT4 sold the most out of every game you just mentioned (compared to one FF at a time, of course).

I'm pretty sure GOW sold more than Gt4

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I'll use a simple relatively recent example.

FFVII: CC releases in Japan and take a look at how the "omg teh dead PSP" sales spiked during that period.

Keep in mind system sellers doesn't mean all will like it, in factthe people that even care about any game will beminority. This does not mean that these games don't sell systems, and saying that some of the highest selling franchises in gaming don't pull in hardware sales is quite naive imho.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.amorbis1001

I kinda agree.

God of War is their new system seller.

FF may sell units in Japan still, though. Just not in the west. The other two? MGS is old news to most people who played it on the ps1 & 2, now. Racing games are no longer system sellers, period. They were when Sega was doing Daytona and Sega Rally. But then, light gun games were system sellers once. See? Times change, people.

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sonic_on_crack
Member since 2007 • 2428 Posts

MGS no

FF yes

GT hell yes

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Userbase is irrelevent , it always has been. A huge perentage of ps2 owners were uber casuals and that shouldn't take away from how popular those franchises are. They are all likely to sell 3+ million copies again even with a much smaller userbase so it isn't going to matter in the end. They will sell , they will push hardware sales.

GGNoRematch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GGNoRematch
Member since 2007 • 368 Posts
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.amorbis1001

what the? god of war managed to sell a very pathetic pitiful 3 million copies according to VGchartz

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.amorbis1001

Well GT4 sold around 8-9mill copies, and GoW runs about half with 3-4mill.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="amorbis1001"][QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.-RPGamer-

Indeed, FF sales just about as much here as it does in Japan so I don't see why it can't be a system seller outside of Japan.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nike_Air

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.GGNoRematch

what the? god of war managed to sell a very pathetic pitiful 3 million copies according to VGchartz

3 million isn't pitiful. That is actually the "system seller" mark a game needs to hit for most people here. It doesn't matter what the userbase is and it doesn't matter if you can find bigger games out there.

amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 amorbis1001

[QUOTE="amorbis1001"]I dont think GT is a system seller any more and MGS4 isn't one anymore either (sales of MGS3 suked for konami) but FF and GOW are system seller. too bad the wont be selling any ps3 untill fall 08 the least.-RPGamer-

lol YOUR right, where did al that sales come from lol I can't believe it, any way I think GOW3 will be more of a system seller now ;)

trup522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trup522
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

Userbase is irrelevent , it always has been. A huge perentage of ps2 owners were uber casuals and that shouldn't take away from how popular those franchises are. They are all likely to sell 3+ million copies again even with a much smaller userbase so it isn't going to matter in the end. They will sell , they will push hardware sales.

Nike_Air

Userbase irrelevent in software sales? Huh?

bustos86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bustos86
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

With the Install base of the PS2.. selling 6 million copies of one game on that system is like 1 million on the Xbox 360... on the PS3 it's like 500k

So are they system sellers? That's a tough one to answer..The MGS series has sold 3 to 5 million copies each.. to a userbase of 100+ million..

So are they system sellers? The Logical answer would be no.. they are not.. since the Attach rate isn't amazing or anything..

Gran Turismo 4 sold around 8.79 copies on the PS2 ...but the PS2 has sold 100+ million

GGNoRematch

um, halo, and halo 2 numbers are a bit help out by the fact that they are bundeld in with the console. about 1/3 of halo sales were acheived because they gave it away as a bundle when the xbox was released.

did halo 2 really sell systems? NO. look at the numbers. halo 2 gave them a boost in sales, but it was no where near the system seller GT, MGS, and FF are.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

They are all system sellers, MGS in NA and Europe, not so much Japan, since each game sold a bit under 1 million copies in that region.

Final Fantasy is the true system seller in Japan, as well as NA and Europe, I would say at the least, 2 million copies in each region.

Grand Turismo usually does better outside of NA, comparing sales of GT3 and GT4, GT4 did great in Areas outside of Japan, but didn't do as well as GT3 did in NA, falling to a little over 2 million copies.

But, the thing is, FFX sold more then XII and got a lot more hype because it was the first next gen FF. The same can be said about GT3 vs GT4 and MGS2 vs MGS3, it shows in the number of copies sold.

So, I expect a large sales spike for the PS3 and these games when they're released next year, if history repeats itself.

But not for Killzone, I refuse to buy into the hype.

:D

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nike_Air
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]

trup522

Userbase irrelevent in software sales? Huh?

Regarding system sellers , please try and keep up.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BreakingPoint8
[QUOTE="GGNoRematch"]

bustos86

um, halo, and halo 2 numbers are a bit help out by the fact that they are bundeld in with the console. about 1/3 of halo sales were acheived because they gave it away as a bundle when the xbox was released.

did halo 2 really sell systems? NO. look at the numbers. halo 2 gave them a boost in sales, but it was no where near the system seller GT, MGS, and FF are.

Halo is a system seller in itself, it carried the Xbox on it's back last generation. Halos fanbase is just as loyal as MGS, FF, and GTs, which is why Halo 2 sold over 2,000,000 copies the first day. Now, I don't know if this can happen again with Halo 3, considering the Xbox was in it's 3rd year, while the Xbox 360 is only in it's second with a smaller userbase in NA compared to the Xbox.

It's going to be interesting to see, to say the least.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Keep in mind system sellers doesn't mean all will like it, in factthe people that even care about any game will beminority. This does not mean that these games don't sell systems, and saying that some of the highest selling franchises in gaming don't pull in hardware sales is quite naive imho.

-RPGamer-

couldn't have said it better.

Judging by software sales to install base ratio alone, no PS2 game can be considered a system seller. Which of course makes no sense.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TBoogy
[QUOTE="GGNoRematch"]

bustos86

Was Halo 1 and 2 bundled with systems somewhere? Because it wasn't in the US, where most of the sales came from. I bought Halo on launch day just like everybody else. And if it was bundled, I am sure the numbers wouldn't count, anyway.

And didn't Xbox actually beat the PS2 for the year after Halo 2 launched? That would say that it did sell systems.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

MGS no

FF yes

GT hell yes

Sonic_on_crack

Seeing as MGS games have consistently been right behind FF and GT in sales, it's a system seller.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

MGS doesn't sell systems... it's an added bonus for those already with PS consoles. FF and GT do, however.

Sony's biggest loss, though, is losing GTA's timed exclusivity... that sold systems.

bustos86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bustos86
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts
[QUOTE="bustos86"][QUOTE="GGNoRematch"]

BreakingPoint8

Halo is a system seller in itself, it carried the Xbox on it's back last generation. Halos fanbase is just as loyal as MGS, FF, and GTs, which is why Halo 2 sold over 2,000,000 copies the first day. Now, I don't know if this can happen again with Halo 3, considering the Xbox was in it's 3rd year, while the Xbox 360 is only in it's second with a smaller userbase in NA compared to the Xbox.

halo 2 was not a big system seller, but halo 3 has the chance to be the first big xbox360 system seller for ms. ms still needs to figure out how to sell 70 - 100 million units, rather than hoping halo 3 out sells halo 2.

TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TBoogy

MGS doesn't sell systems... it's an added bonus for those already with PS consoles. FF and GT do, however.

Sony's biggest loss, though, is losing GTA's timed exclusivity... that sold systems.

TDLlama

Agreed on the mgs and gta parts.

Undecided on the FF part.

Disagreed on the GT part (don't think racers sell consoles anymore. They are kinda like what you said for MGS. I think people buy them when they first get a console for the graphical showcase.)

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BreakingPoint8

TDLlama

GTA was a huge blow to Sony, it really is the king of system sellers. They should never have let it slip through their fingers.

We're watching two giants fighting over NA and Europe. It's going to be fun seeing who comes out on top in the next 2 years. Nintendo seems to have Japan on lock now, with Sony taking a distant second. Microsoft is making a little bit more ground in Japan this time around. But it's obvious it's going to be another generation or two before they can compete.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BreakingPoint8
[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="bustos86"][QUOTE="GGNoRematch"]

bustos86

halo 2 was not a big system seller, but halo 3 has the chance to be the first big xbox360 system seller for ms. ms still needs to figure out how to sell 70 - 100 million units, rather than hoping halo 3 out sells halo 2.

It's not possible for them to sell that many units now, the hardware problem set them back. I think we can expect 30-50 million tops from the Xbox 360. I see the PS3 edging them out by 10 million units in the long run around 40-60 million, as for the Wii, who knows.
cheapness1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cheapness1
Member since 2003 • 883 Posts

TDLlama

GTA was something new and CRAZY when the Ps2 came out...unless rockstar pull something crazy out the hat GTA4 will be a more refined version of the same I doubt it'll g'smack everyone in the face like GTA3 did! I mean now u got games like saints row, crackdown, mercenaries and just about every other sandbox game grabbing for some of its lime light!

and on topic there are several gamers eager to buy MGS4, GT5 and Final Fantasy so games with that much anticipation that are exclusive are bound to boost sales!

Not even mentioning games like R&C, God of War, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Socometc. which have pretty big followings in the Playstation fanbase!

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BreakingPoint8
[QUOTE="TDLlama"]

cheapness1

GTA was something new and CRAZY when the Ps2 came out...unless rockstar pull something crazy out the hat GTA4 will be a more refined version of the same I doubt it'll g'smack everyone in the face like GTA3 did! I mean now u got games like saints row, crackdown, mercenaries and just about every other sandbox game grabbing for some of its lime light!

and on topic there are several gamers eager to buy MGS4, GT5 and Final Fantasy so games with that much anticipation that are exclusive are bound to boost sales!

Not even mentioning games like R&C, God of War, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Socometc. which have pretty big followings in the Playstation fanbase!

I would love a new Twisted Metal, but on topic, GTA SA sold more units then GTA3 and VC, but it's going to be about 4 since SA came out. But I'm pretty sure the userbase will still be there, people still want to steal cars and run over hookers, that hasn't changed.
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
HALO is for casuals more than any of the other games you mentioned, especially MGS.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BreakingPoint8
HALO is for casuals more than any of the other games you mentioned, especially MGS. NavigatorsGhost
I beg to differ, in my opinion GT was very popular among casuals as well. Hell, my friend who didn't even play video games picked up a PS2 to play GT3 back in the day. FF, is more casual in Japan, but I think it's safe to say FF is mainstream in NA. MGS will go over the heads of casual gamers, that's a fact.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Easily system sellers....I just made a thread about this the other day.

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts

GGNoRematch

Yea, there's a reason why you think you're going to get flamed, you're posting flamebait. Let's see, where to begin....

The PS2 has the highest install base of any gaming console ever made. Naturally, specific titles are going to have a lower attach rate to systems for various reasons. 120 million people is a big number, actually, it's insanely huge. I'm not sure if you have noticed in life all people think differently. Everyone has their own preference, their own opinions of things. Not everyone has the same taste in games, music, movies, girls, cars, clothes, everything.

No specific software attach rate is amazing on the PS2, that's the beauty of things. It's why Sony completely dominated last gen, the games appealed to an insanely broad audience of gamers from all backgrounds with all different preferneces.

How is this fact so ****ing hard to understand for Sony haters?

GT3 was the highest (or second highest to GTA:SA) selling game on the PS2 during the time when the install base wasn't 100+ million. Same goes for MGS2 and the FF games.

And finally, Halo. The reason why Halo was so popular on the Xbox was because it was amongst only a tiny handful of truly great games an Xbox owner could play. It was also a multiplayer game, something GT and MGS lacks so naturally it will sell better.

Please stop making threads if you are going to use this "logic."

mike_on_mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 mike_on_mic
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts

It is hard to have this argument when the install base of a product is 100million. Yeah the new MGS, it might not have sold systems like the original PS2 ones because the people who like MGS have mostly bought a PS2. But when FFX came out, it was a hig seller, because it came out when the system was new and the FF fans were still playing the previous ones on the PS.

I have always bough systems based on particular games and I am sure that there are many people like that. For me, I wam waiting for THE game before I buy either a 360 or PS3, not sure of the game but when it comes out I will know. But it very easy to say, that the PS3 will sell units when FF or MGS or Killzone come out. GT5 will be the same but not as much I feel.

The 360 will also sell units when Halo 3 comes out. It is assured almost and Sony and Microsoft know what games sell system.

springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
TC you owned yourself as soon as you hit "New Topic"
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NavigatorsGhost

[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"]HALO is for casuals more than any of the other games you mentioned, especially MGS. BreakingPoint8
I beg to differ, in my opinion GT was very popular among casuals as well. Hell, my friend who didn't even play video games picked up a PS2 to play GT3 back in the day. FF, is more casual in Japan, but I think it's safe to say FF is mainstream in NA. MGS will go over the heads of casual gamers, that's a fact.

Thats why I said Halo was MORE of a casual game than the others. I didn't say the others weren't casual at all. HALO = accessible gameplay, addictive online/offline multiplayer and co-op = casual heaven.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

GGNoRematch

not halo was the only game to sell several million on the xbox, seems like xbots had no other choice

i has been said many times "HALO BASICALLY SAVED THE XBOX" by that Patcher guy

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts

[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"]HALO is for casuals more than any of the other games you mentioned, especially MGS. NavigatorsGhost

Thats why I said Halo was MORE of a casual game than the others. I didn't say the others weren't casual at all. HALO = accessible gameplay, addictive online/offline multiplayer and co-op = casual heaven.

thats retarted,

HALO is def a hardcore game!

this is common sense

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
The fanbases are the system sellers...MGS has about 4-5 million in its fanbase, FF over 5 million, and GT over 8 million...also, GT3 sold like 8 million before GT4 came out and the userbase was under 50 million...probably under 40 million too.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
Again some ppl in SW think ''system sellers'' are only GTA or Halo despite the games you mentioned sell as much as these games.
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"]

[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"]HALO is for casuals more than any of the other games you mentioned, especially MGS. winner-ps3

thats retarted,

HALO is def a hardcore game!

this is common sense

um no. Hardcore gamers can play it and enjoy it and a hell of a lot do, but the predominant number of sales for the Halo franchise, as with almost all top selling games, is from casual fans.

Its a console FPS that made its debut on a brand new console and had outstanding online and offline multiplayer...its sales were driven by the same thing that made Goldeneye so popular.

Kid goes over to his friend's house. They sit down and play Goldeneye/Halo together offline co-op / online multiplayer and have a great time. Kid goes home and begs parent to buy him Goldeneye/Halo. Case closed.

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts
....:lol: i guess those games need to sell 40 million copies before being considered a system seller.
Fraquelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fraquelli
Member since 2005 • 688 Posts

well... my friend once told me that his older brother had bought a PS2 just to play GT3.
after that he only used it as a DVD player.... so yeah

Im not gonna take a conclusion off of one person, but you are talking about three of the best selling franchises in history.
so yeah, I consider them system sellers.

Mandingo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mandingo101
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
ive seen this logic used before and it always fails miserably.

GT3 and MGS2 didnt have the advantage of 100 million userbase and still sold like crazy, and attach rates dont work on ps2 cus unlike 360 it appealed to all gamers, not just shooter fans and sports fans but everyone. look at the million sellers on ps3 and how varied the games are