Gran Turismo 6's Metacritic score. No bueno.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

Currently sitting at a 78.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/gran-turismo-6

...it may go up or down. I suspect it will get around 83 at best. But as of right now,

Gran Turismo: 96

Gran Turismo2: 93

Gran Turismo3 A-spec:95

Gran Turismo4: 89

Gran Tursimo5: 84

Gran Turismo6: 76

Dat downward trend. Game problems that others are taking about are:

- Bad menus (not as bad as GT5 but still bad)

- New physics that sometimes fail to work.

- REALLY bad AI

- License tests are a pain.

- Repeats of flaws from older games.

Is PD going to find a way to modernize its franchise in future releases?

#2 Posted by nervmeister (15325 posts) -

76 =/= bad. But it does speak volumes about why Sony suddenly has a new exclusive racing IP (Driveclub) lined up. PD seems too afraid of change to make much-needed improvements to their racer in order to bring it up to date.

#3 Posted by locopatho (20979 posts) -

I wish they'd swallow their pride and just fucking copy Forza in some ways. If they can copy the microtransactions surely they can copy the slick interface and less archaic career mode.

Seriously, fuck license tests, I've done them all already, they aren't fun anymore!

#4 Posted by uninspiredcup (12763 posts) -

But micro-transactions.

#5 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

While I never want a game to fail unless it's an equivalent of McDonald's, I'm glad it's getting scores it does and I hope the franchise

will soon lose its mythological appeal people so blindly clung to, still driven by their PS1/PS2 nostalgia. And then I hope that after critics' eventual realization, even the casual gamers will follow.

#6 Posted by sailor232 (5099 posts) -

Ign did that top ten Playstation devs and in every series from all the 10 developers the scores were dropping after each iteration. I think it's time to put franchises to bed and come up with new ideas.

#7 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (1051 posts) -

That's interesting, sitting at 75(but climbing) where as forza 5 is sitting at 81

Seems like alot of the bad with both from reading both reviews on MC is the Microtransactions.

#8 Posted by Dasacant (1415 posts) -

Games Reactor Denmark: "Gran Turismo is no longer the superstar it once was, as we are no longer impressed by tons of cars and lovely polygons, just like most of us no longer think poodle-hair and Def Leppard are hot stuff. The world is a different place today, as is the racing genre, but Gran Turismo remains stuck in the past."

What is Poodle-Hair and why was it considered "hot stuff"?

#9 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

76 on 13 compared to 85 on 82 is hardly a crisis.

Wait for the clickbait reviews to pass.

#10 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

@Dascant - I find this analogy perfect, they refer to hair-metal era alternatively named poodle-metal (in Europe) where a lot of hard rock or metal bands have been immensely popular in mainstream. Their metal was poppy and anthemic and they all had long shaggy hair.

#11 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10030 posts) -

@Dascant - I find this analogy perfect, they refer to hair-metal era alternatively named poodle-metal (in Europe) where a lot of hard rock or metal bands have been immensely popular in mainstream. Their metal was poppy and anthemic and they all had long shaggy hair.

#12 Posted by Snugenz (12781 posts) -

@Dasacant said:

Games Reactor Denmark: "Gran Turismo is no longer the superstar it once was, as we are no longer impressed by tons of cars and lovely polygons, just like most of us no longer think poodle-hair and Def Leppard are hot stuff. The world is a different place today, as is the racing genre, but Gran Turismo remains stuck in the past."

What is Poodle-Hair and why was it considered "hot stuff"?

I'd imagine he's referring to perms like Brian May's hairstyle.

GT really is stuck in the past though, even GT5 with it's bumber car AI and vacuum cleaner sounding cars is just bad in this day and age.

#13 Edited by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

I thought the License tests took a hit in difficulty though :?

Polyphony Digital's main work on GT7 needs to be.

1- Awful AI, it's impossible not to notice it in this day and age.

2 - Poor Damage modelling.

3 - Sound, it's getting there so I think it's a given but still, remove any crappy sound from the game. It's pretty laughable when a car produced from a car manufacturer sounds way better than any car from GT6.

The Mercedes VGT sound is freaking sweet!

4 - relevant new cars from the last 3-4 years.

Just bring those aspects up to snuff and the game will be on top of the metacritic.

Sony needs to bring new staff for PD that specialize in those factors, I mean goddammit what a stubborn studio.

Oh and what happened to their soundtracks? GT5 and GT6 have the most awful OSTs I've ever listened to, GT6 is less awful though.

#14 Posted by mems_1224 (48569 posts) -

lmao how hilarious would it be if forza 5 scores better than gt6?? i cant wait to see the cows backpedal out of this one

#15 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1867 posts) -

Reviews are for casuals. GT1 gets the highest score by far yet fact is its a much worse game than the newer ones. GT6 is a great realistic sim even if car damage is not great. Try to compete agaisnt GT pros and get R4PED. On PS4 they will have the power to do good car damage and what ever else they want.

Same with KZ SF reviews. Most which only played the SP. Fact is KZ SF the best MP game out now on PS4. Yes its rushed and features are yet to come with patches (clans, clan matches, in game chat, maps, weapons, co op, ect.), but the core game is there right now. Casuals (most gamers) stay on COD.

#16 Posted by silversix_ (16138 posts) -

Good. A game using the same sound effects since GT1 don't deserve high scores.

#17 Edited by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:

Reviews are for casuals. GT1 gets the highest score by far yet fact is its a much worse game than the newer ones. GT6 is a great realistic sim even if car damage is not great. Try to compete agaisnt GT pros and get R4PED. On PS4 they will have the power to do good car damage and what ever else they want.

Same with KZ SF reviews. Most which only played the SP. Fact is KZ SF the best MP game out now on PS4. Yes its rushed and features are yet to come with patches (clans, clan matches, in game chat, maps, weapons, co op, ect.), but the core game is there right now. Casuals (most gamers) stay on COD.

Because the standards change. GT6 is better than GT1 thats a fact but GT6 lacks in areas that most modern racing games offer like proper damage modeling even if its artificial, they should at least bring proper physics collision and damage even if it doesn't stop your car from running, at least I wanna see a proper accident reaction from the car when it happens.

Sound is another big factor, play Need for Speed or hell even GTA5 and see the car's fundamental basic physics, sound of engine and tyres fraction sound to the road when it drifts or something like that are at least more accurately represented.

The game is still great and a must buy for anyone who likes racing sims because of it's gigantic content, activities to do in GT6 and it's realistic handling but stuff like that need to be addressed.

#18 Edited by humpmasterflex (363 posts) -

I've said it before, and i will say it again. With the exception of Nintendo's first party developer, Japanese devs have become extremely irrelevant. The west has taken over.

#19 Edited by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

@humpmasterflex said:

I've said it before, and i will say it again. With the exception of Nintendo's first party developer, Japanese devs have become extremely irrelevant. The west has taken over.

They are making a major comeback to the 8th generation though.

EDIT : and for the last few years.

#20 Posted by locopatho (20979 posts) -

@humpmasterflex said:

There's some others. Platinum Games, Kojima Productions, From Software and to an extent Capcom and Namco are still great.

I enjoyed Bayonetta, Vanquish, MGS4, Demon's/Dark Souls, Street Fighter 4, Dead Rising 1/2, Resi 5, Tales Of Vesparia, and Tekken this gen.

They absolutely dominated PS2 though, shocking to see how far and how fast they fell from consoles this gen.

#21 Posted by MirkoS77 (8354 posts) -

Perhaps if PD got rid of 50 different versions of a Honda DX that I couldn't give a shit less about and better utilized their dev resources elsewhere, their games wouldn't suffer?

NOBODY WANTS TO RACE THESE GANG-BANGER laugh-mobiles. Focus on some real wheels.

#22 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5260 posts) -

It looks like a PS2 game. Graphics are SOOOO awful.

#23 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3800 posts) -

The AI is still awful? C'mon guys.

#24 Edited by LJS9502_basic (152394 posts) -

Meh racing games by default are dull....

#25 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich: yeah they should scrap them completely and just make new ones, if that takes too long then release them as future content in GT6 and include them in the next game. They've at least improved them to the point of being "good enough" rather than "OMG LMAO!!". still they are a far cry from PS2 graphics so that's just you being a fanboy hater.

#26 Edited by LJS9502_basic (152394 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:

@jhonMalcovich: yeah they should scrap them completely and just make new ones, if that takes too long then release them as future content in GT6 and include them in the next game. They've at least improved them to the point of being "good enough" rather than "OMG LMAO!!". still they are a far cry from PS2 graphics so that's just you being a fanboy hater.

SW where no one admits a console they don't own has positives and if you mention a negative you're a fan boy of another console. God forbid one be honest.

#27 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Oh how the mighty hath fallen. The Gran Turismo series has been reduced to pure trash!

#28 Posted by Cubs360 (3770 posts) -

How many years did this game take to make? Turn 10 is the much better studio now.

#29 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JohnF111 said:

SW where no one admits a console they don't own has positives and if you mention a negative you're a fan boy of another console. God forbid one be honest.

Well the OP is a fanboy, GT6 is nowhere near a ps2 game.

#30 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

The only thing that lets the game down is the engine sounds, and I would personally like more intensives play some events again perhaps better reward for driving lower powered cars or a recommended car. Also the coffee break challenges are annoying not fun... knocking over cones gets boring on the second attempt at failing to hit 300 cones in 40 seconds or whatever number it is.

The tests are pretty much the same as ever, provide some challenge and prepare you for the races. Don't think anyone should say it's a bad thing.

The AI is a little annoying, they tend to like slipstreaming and ramming you off the track when you are on the racing line forcing you to keep looking the the rear view mirror.

AI also does take the corners a little slow like they are trying to conserve tyres on a 2 lap race...

I don't much like the rolling starts, nor do I like that they put in under powered cars to slow you down from moving up positions causing the leading cars to be way off ahead forcing you to drive overpowered cars to catch up. I would like to drive comparable cars to make it a closer race throughout. Maybe this gets better later on.

Graphics are fine, the best you are going to get out of a PS3. Marking it down for not being on a PS4 is stupid.

UI is fine, I did not like that when cars gained more BHP (when run in) the game does not let you enter the race with limited PP, you end up going through the menu to use the power limiter in the garage then going all the way back to the race menu...

I would give it an 8.5/10 more if they fixed the problems.

#31 Edited by LJS9502_basic (152394 posts) -

@HAZE-Unit said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JohnF111 said:

Well the OP is a fanboy, GT6 is nowhere near a ps2 game.

Of course it's not.

#32 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

Woah. Maybe there needs to be some fresh eyes in the studio. I'm in desperate need of a new next-gen arcade racer like Wipeout or F-Zero :D. With custom livery, track creator, and in depth ship maker. Would much rather play something like that.

#33 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Yeah I can totally see PD making crappy arcade racers/tech demos...

I bet half the team would kill their selves if they were forced to do that.

#34 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8987 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JohnF111 said:

Look in my eyes..............what do you see? The Cult of Personality...........

#35 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8987 posts) -

You might as well chalk this score up to GT7 for the PS4 as well. Its only going to be this game ported and polished.

#36 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5217 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

It looks like a PS2 game. Graphics are SOOOO awful.

I didn't want to say anything, but I was watching the IGN review, was thinking this doesn't look good. Some of the cars look good, others don't and the background looks soulless.

#37 Posted by GreySeal9 (25076 posts) -

It's amazing how mediocre the visuals have gotten in GT.

Back in the PS1/PS2 days, the GT games were eye candy of the highest order, and now they look rough and dated.

#38 Posted by GreySeal9 (25076 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

Graphics are fine, the best you are going to get out of a PS3.

No way. PS3 has tons of games that graphically destroy GT6.

#40 Posted by Heil68 (47165 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

You might as well chalk this score up to GT7 for the PS4 as well. Its only going to be this game ported and polished.

Nice!! Look forward to them 2 games, day fucking 1 like always! Thanks for the tip!

#41 Posted by locopatho (20979 posts) -

@TREAL_Since said:

Woah. Maybe there needs to be some fresh eyes in the studio. I'm in desperate need of a new next-gen arcade racer like Wipeout or F-Zero :D. With custom livery, track creator, and in depth ship maker. Would much rather play something like that.

F Zero GU... it WILL COME :D

#42 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

Haven't bought a racing game in a long time so don't really care other than lolhopeitsafloponGS.

As we expected (well except for the ardent fanboys) the launch for the next gen consoles has been underwhelming. Having said that I LOVE AC4 on the PS4 and I didn't buy a console for the first few months ....

EDIT thought this was on the PS4 too, shows what I know

#43 Posted by GreySeal9 (25076 posts) -

Here's the GameSpot review in progress. I smell a 7. The reviewer liked the handling, but it sounds like GT5 all over again.

#44 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

And it'll still be better than Flopza Microtransactions 4.5.

"Bu bu but muh drivertards!!!"

#45 Edited by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions:

Metacritic does not count in SW. Only GS scores.

#46 Posted by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

"Bu bu but muh drivertards!!!"

Cows gonna cow.

#47 Posted by Suppaman100 (4356 posts) -

If the game sucks, it sucks and deserves these scores.

The problem is there are so many fans who love GT and will still buy it, regardless of the score.

It will sell a ton and polyphony won't care about the scores because of the crazy sales.

#48 Edited by AM-Gamer (5244 posts) -

I always loved Gran Turismo but this game should have Been on the PS4 had no interest in this.

#49 Posted by GreySeal9 (25076 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Given PD's recent track record, there's no reason to believe that other than Sony fanboyism. It seems pretty obvious that Turn 10 has way better instincts on how to make a racing game.

That being said, I think they are both boring. Forza just happens to be less boring. Forza shows a little bit of soul whereas GT is a corpse.

#50 Posted by pc-ps360 (3460 posts) -

i am guessing teh cockroach fanbase will claim NOW that metacritic is not important and that only gamespot scores allowed heheheh.