Gran Turismo 5 Online Multiplayer Detailed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

In the latest issue of Official Playstation Magazine, the 'My Lounge' for Gran Turismo 5 has been unvieled and detailed.

To quote the magazine:

"My Lounge is GT5's hub from which you'll access all of GT5's new online features. Hit the Community tab and you'll pull up a bulletin board filled with your latest stats and your recent mail from friends and other players.

You can browse through your friends' bulletin boards and check their progress on and offline, and send out mail and challenges. My Lounge supports voice chat for up to 32 players and lets you host 16-player online races or spectate on races in progress, as well as watch the GT-TV VOD service and race replays."
SAUCE

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
Sounds great, can't wait for November 2nd. Now I just gotta buy me a Logitech G25 and build myself a racing cockpit and I'll be good to go. Getting the limited edition for sure!
jmdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jmdude
Member since 2007 • 2521 Posts

oooh awesome can't wait for it to release. :D

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

sounds good, I am still undecided about the game though

wasted_wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wasted_wisdom
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts
Sounds good.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Great news.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
November. Now.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I'm not fully convinced. I haven't seen a Japanese developer do an online component worth playing for more than 5 minutes with the exception of Demon's Souls..

Dance_Gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dance_Gavin
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

I'm not fully convinced. I haven't seen a Japanese developer do an online component worth playing for more than 5 minutes with the exception of Demon's Souls..

heretrix
Yeah I'm not sure why everyone is getting worked up about something so miniscule. Voice chat for a lobby, spectate races and a bulletin board you can check stats? Mind blowing. It's like people are so starved for any info they climax at anything that comes their way..
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

heretrix

Blazblu and street fighter imo! Street fighter does lag a bit since I'm sometimes playing ppl in europe though.. lol

NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

Yeah but when is the game comming ou-... oh wait.

supra_800hp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 supra_800hp
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts

Not really into multiplaying online. Usually multiplay with friends at home, but damn its gonna have a good adition anyway.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Dance_Gavin

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone is getting worked up about something so miniscule. Voice chat for a lobby, spectate races and a bulletin board you can check stats? Mind blowing. It's like people are so starved for any info they climax at anything that comes their way..

Yeah, I don't get it. Like I said, I'll remain optimistically guarded that the online will be any good.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Espada12

Blazblu and street fighter imo! Street fighter does lag a bit since I'm sometimes playing ppl in europe though.. lol

Lol. I'm not into fighters but I'm always hearing about the lag....and cheating. lol.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I hate realistic racers, but GT5 just keeps adding more and more. Even I might pick it up.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

Lol. I'm not into fighters but I'm always hearing about the lag....and cheating. lol.

Well with fighters I'm not sure of the cheating, more like cheesing...sometimes the game would have noticeable lag and people take advantage of it by doing things like spamming shoryukens and stuff since, with the lag the timing, for linking combos is whack so you get them with an uppercut while they are trying to do it. But the online themselves are pretty good none the less.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

Great news.

muller39
"What?" "The Dacia Sandero is almost here!" "When?" "Next year" "Great!" hope I'm not the only one that thought of this lol...
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heretrix

[QUOTE="muller39"]

Great news.

zero_snake99

"What?" "The Dacia Sandero is almost here!" "When?" "Next year" "Great!" hope I'm not the only one that thought of this lol...

LMAO! No, you were not the only one, Mr. James May.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zero_snake99

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"][QUOTE="muller39"]

Great news.

heretrix

xD. "GREAT NEWS!" "Is it the Dacia Sandero?" "The what?" *facepalm* that show...
canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 canoecamue
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

sounds good, I am still undecided about the game though

Cruse34
For serious? What makes you undecided?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"] "What?" "The Dacia Sandero is almost here!" "When?" "Next year" "Great!" hope I'm not the only one that thought of this lol...zero_snake99

xD. "GREAT NEWS!" "Is it the Dacia Sandero?" "The what?" *facepalm* that show...

James' new obsession is the Dacia Duster. I love that damn show. Best car show ever.

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 canoecamue
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Dance_Gavin

People are excited for this game in general, not just the online play.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heretrix

[QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

canoecamue

People are excited for this game in general, not just the online play.

This thread is about the online play.

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 canoecamue

[QUOTE="canoecamue"][QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"]This thread is about the online play.

heretrix
Sure is. Thank you for letting me know.
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Dance_Gavin

Is what I was commenting about, I dont feel anyone is "climaxing" over the online, its just another piece of whats going to be a great game. Not that it matters, I smell lemming anyway.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 heretrix

Is what I was commenting about, I dont feel anyone is "climaxing" over the online, its just another piece of whats going to be a great game. Not that it matters, I smell lemming anyway.canoecamue
Why would you even bring the rest of the game up in a thread about the online? Nobody (at least not me) is dissing the game as whole. Bringing up the rest of the game and getting defensive is completely unnecessary.

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 canoecamue

[QUOTE="canoecamue"]Is what I was commenting about, I dont feel anyone is "climaxing" over the online, its just another piece of whats going to be a great game. Not that it matters, I smell lemming anyway.heretrix

Why would you even bring the rest of the game up in a thread about the online? Nobody (at least not me) is dissing the game as whole. Bringing up the rest of the game and getting defensive is completely unnecessary.

Defensive??? My comment was not even to you. /shrug

Lock inc

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

I love how GT5's online component is shaping up :D. The features and game modes revealed so far are enticing, especially considering how well the core physics / mechanics of the driving handles in general.

To those skeptical; what exactly has you feeling that way? I noticed some comment(s) regarding the fact that it's a Japanese developer, and that they haven't offered (you) enticing online games. How many Japanese sim-racing games have you played online this gen? What Japanese developed games don't you like online--remember genre can play a huge role into how a game plays online. If the hesitation is due to latency related issues, then Japanese developed games aren't exclusively stricken with such problems.

---

Honestly, I find it difficult to be cautious of GT5's online component based on the fact Polyphony Digital is a Japanese developer. Maybe GT5: Prologue wasn't good enough for you? According to interviews, it seems like Poly is taking online deadly serious for GT5--Prologue being a testing grounds of sorts. The announced online features so far is evidence to that focus I think :).

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Espada12

Blazblue was good, but Street Fighter was fun in *spite* of the online setup, IMO. Could not connect... could not connect... could not connect... and all the missing multiplayer features in SF4 that were present in SF2's XBLA release. They dropped so many balls on that (SSF4 helped a bit!).
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 zero_snake99

I love how GT5's online component is shaping up :D. The features and game modes revealed so far are enticing, especially considering how well the core physics / mechanics of the driving handles in general.

To those skeptical; what exactly has you feeling that way? I noticed some comment(s) regarding the fact that it's a Japanese developer, and that they haven't offered (you) enticing online games. How many Japanese sim-racing games have you played online this gen? What Japanese developed games don't you like online--remember genre can play a huge role into how a game plays online. If the hesitation is due to latency related issues, then Japanese developed games aren't exclusively stricken with such problems.

---

Honestly, I find it difficult to be cautious of GT5's online component based on the fact Polyphony Digital is a Japanese developer. Maybe GT5: Prologue wasn't good enough for you? According to interviews, it seems like Poly is taking online deadly serious for GT5--Prologue being a testing grounds of sorts. The announced online features so far is evidence to that focus I think :).

Episode_Eve

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

tight can't wait!

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
i hope it has tag mode like forza :D
hard_body79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hard_body79
Member since 2010 • 422 Posts

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

---

zero_snake99

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeah we see known PS3 haters come in here an bad mouth these new features announced for a PS3 exclusive, it's nothing new these same people/s have a history of bashing PS3 and defending everyting xbox360.

On topic:

Sound great, I can't wait I know it's going to be the best, I love polished racing games, and GT5 will surely be the best avalible on consoles.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

most of the time watching J-dev trying to do online is like watching a dog eat taffy.

i hope it works out for them but i will have to see it to believe it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heretrix

---

Episode_Eve

I'm skeptical because we are 5 years into this generation and I haven't seen even one Japanese developed game that has a robust multiplayer compared to the likes of a Halo or Modern Warfare. Let me be clear I am not bashing GT 5, I am just extremely disappointed in the lack of decent online support in Japanese developed games.

Look at the way Metal Gear online was handled or Lost Planet or RE 5. The implementation of online in these games are clunky and archaic.

You've seen me post before, we may not have seen eye to eye on things but I hope that you've seen that I at least try to be fair and if I'm proven wrong I man up to it. I'm just waiting to be proven wrong. I don't have an issue with that. I can be really critical, but I always hope that at least my reasons are at the very least, understandable.

I will say that Demon's Souls online shows that when these guys get their heads out their asses they can do some pretty interesting stuff.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

---

heretrix

I'm skeptical because we are 5 years into this generation and I haven't seen even one Japanese developed game that has a robust multiplayer compared to the likes of a Halo or Modern Warfare. Let me be clear I am not bashing GT 5, I am just extremely disappointed in the lack of decent online support in Japanese developed games.

Look at the way Metal Gear online was handled or Lost Planet or RE 5. The implementation of online in these games are clunky and archaic.

You've seen me post before, we may not have seen eye to eye on things but I hope that you've seen that I at least try to be fair and if I'm proven wrong I man up to it. I'm just waiting to be proven wrong. I don't have an issue with that. I can be really critical, but I always hope that at least my reasons are at the very least, understandable.

I will say that Demon's Souls online shows that when these guys get their heads out their asses they can do some pretty interesting stuff.

Shooters aside, let's take a look at PGR 3 and 4 which had awesome online features. Forza 2 and 3. Those are the racing game bars that GT5 has to meet.

The problem arises when a game is delayed for so long, doubt creeps in. The same happens with movies. Numerous delays invite skepticism.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

heretrix
i know why, coz JPN rarely makes shooters.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

---

VoodooHak

Shooters aside, let's take a look at PGR 3 and 4 which had awesome online features. Forza 2 and 3. Those are the racing game bars that GT5 has to meet.

The problem arises when a game is delayed for so long, doubt creeps in. The same happens with movies. Numerous delays invite skepticism.

I'm looking at Forza 3 specifically. I think the problem with Japanese online development is that it's often seen as an afterthought where Western developers usually integrate it from the ground up. It's part of the reason many think that XBL is better than PSN even with the XBL fee. I understand it's partly a cultural issue as online is looked upon very differently in Japan as it is in the west.It's the one thing about GT5 that I've always been worried about.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

^ Well considering that the online component in GT5 won't be tacked-on, should subtract from one of your worries. Also, Polyphony doesn't have their heads up their asses lol. It's fair to be skeptical, I was just wondering why exactly. Forza 3 and PGR are a few examples of superb online racing games that GT5 will be matched against. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 heretrix

^ Well considering that the online component in GT5 won't be tacked-on, should subtract from one of your worries. Also, Polyphony doesn't have their heads up their asses lol. It's fair to be skeptical, I was just wondering why exactly. Forza 3 and PGR are a few examples of superb online racing games that GT5 will be matched against. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Episode_Eve

yeah, I don't think that Poly has their heads up their ass. I am cautiously optimistic. But they do have a lot to prove.The game has changed quite a bit since GT 4. GT 5 Prologue was ok, but they have to completely surpass that. I am quite happy about all of the work they have put into the game but a game with as much stiff packed into it as GT5 claims to have, I hope that the quality isn't all over the place just so that they can add a bullet point to the box.