Got 600-700 Dollars, ps4 or gaming pc?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Romio7754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Romio7754
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

as the title say i Got 600-700 Dollars, should i buy ps4 or gaming pc?

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

PS4 no question. If your going to build a rig build something decent, otherwise halfway through this gen you'll regret your choice. Unless you don't have a PC at all, in that case get the PC.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

PS4 sadly, I'd say go with PC if you can find some good deals or if you have a higher budget.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I personally recommend getting a gaming PC this gen. The PS4 will have more games for it's system in the future. It really depends on the exclusives you want to play honestly.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

PS4 sadly, I'd say go with PC if you can find some good deals or if you have a higher budget.

I built my current PC for $600 dollars 2 years ago.. I can currently max pretty well all games right now.. You can do it you just need to hunt and be smart about it..

I'd build a pc if I were you.. The library of games is enormous while the PS4 is lacking games at the moment.

Sources: Me. I own both.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

PS4. I don't think a $700 PC is really worth it.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

PC, you can get something decent for less than $600 and with the summer sale coming next month you can get some nice deals from all the stores to fill up your PC library

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@romio7754 said:

Really depends on what exclusive games you really want to play on each platform. If you like PC exclusives better then PS4 exclusives, then get the PC. If it's the other way around, get the PS4. It comes down to what games you enjoy playing the most and not really about the hardware or features each platform has.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ballroompirate

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I built my current PC for $600 dollars 2 years ago.. I can currently max pretty well all games right now.. You can do it you just need to hunt and be smart about it..

I'd build a pc if I were you.. The library of games is enormous while the PS4 is lacking games at the moment.

Mine was $935 and I felt like I should've went with more RAM (16gb instead of 8gb) and go with a GTX 760 4gb instead of a GTX 760 2gb

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@blackace said:

@romio7754 said:

Really depends on what exclusive games you really want to play on each platform. If you like PC exclusives better then PS4 exclusives, then get the PC. If it's the other way around, get the PS4. It comes down to what games you enjoy playing the most and not really about the hardware or features each platform has.

This^^

I'll also add that for a PC it depends on what you have already. If you're going from scratch and want to go PC, hold on to the cash you have and keep saving for a while yet, there's no point in going into PC gaming half baked. Get a grand together ($1000) or if you need a monitor as well $1200. The extra spend will serve you better in the long run.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

1: do you need new computer? kill 2 birds with one stone

2: do you care about mods? really depends on type of games you like. Some games have awesome support, some just have fixes and stupid stuff.

3: pc exclusives?

4: games tend to be cheaper on pc but you loose the power to resale

~IF you don't care about any of that that then just go with a ps4/x1. $600 will get your pc that run games, but your not going get something nice

With E3 right around the block *WAIT* before you choose to buy any system and make sure that's what you want. E3 each company will reveal their goals and intentions are for the year. Choose the one you think you like.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

with more and more pc games coming to consoles..... there isnt much going on in the world of pc unless you like mmos and RTS games

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Figure out what games you want and what experience you want

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

PS4 with that budget. If you're gonna go PC either go all the way or forget it. Half-assing it will only lead to disappointment.

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

Ps4 is the better buy in the long run if you don't care too much about graphics

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Mine was $935 and I felt like I should've went with more RAM (16gb instead of 8gb) and go with a GTX 760 4gb instead of a GTX 760 2gb

8gb is more then enough for now and you can add if needed, But 4gb on 760 does nothing for it. its bus width is too small and the gpu does not have the processing power to correctly render 4gb of data.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

save some cash get up 1000 build you a nice rig....then save up 400 more and next spring pick up a ps4/xbone....by then both system should have enough game i regret not waitting on the console i built my pc a year ago......one way or the other you will find fun games

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I mean everyones build is different based on your needs.. But honestly 16gb of ram at this point isn't necessary. I'd take the money you'd spend on 16gb and just get 8gb of really fast ram. Yes you want to make sure you have enough ram in your system but once you have the ideal amount it's all about the speed of the ram. Quicker loads, smoother changes between programs etc.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ballroompirate

@04dcarraher said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

8gb is more then enough for now and you can add if needed, But 4gb on 760 does nothing for it. its bus width is too small and the gpu does not have the processing power to correctly render 4gb of data.

I wanted to get the 4gb since it would only cost me $25 more, the upgrade though from 8gb RAM to 16gb RAM was like $118 though....

I basically wanted a PC that could run Star Citizen decently lol :P

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@lostrib said:

Figure out what games you want and what experience you want

That would take effort though.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

If you only have that much, then you should get a PC. Otherwise you can't afford console game prices.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

For that much you should get a PS4. You would make too many compromises to pull of a PC for that.

Hell I just drop $1000 on a new monitor and GTX 780. PC hardware is not cheap. Cheaping out on it only costs you in the long run.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Indicud said:

Ps4 is the better buy in the long run if you don't care too much about graphics

And what's your reasoning behind this? You get a small number of decent exclusives and miss out on a library that is literally 20x the size of the PS4?

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Better investment is the PS4.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#26 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@roler42 said:

PC, you can get something decent for less than $600 and with the summer sale coming next month you can get some nice deals from all the stores to fill up your PC library

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ballroompirate

@Cloud_imperium said:

@roler42 said:

If I'm not mistaken summer sales usually don't happen tell mid July?

DA1M0Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DA1M0Z
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

If you want to make the "high-end, master race elitist" cutoff for system wars purposes, then save up at least another $300-$400.

If not then $600 should get you a decent build, as long as you already have a mouse/kb and monitor.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

pc in the long run will be much cheaper. Cheaper games and no online cost that adds up to 250 bucks in 5 years just to play online. Ps4 has no games and the pc has a big libary right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

My take?

It all boils Down to something rather basic. Let us see the facts first. Most AAA (as in production and Manpower spend in Capitol) games are multiplat, so it Means nomatter the system the vast vast (as in 96% pulled out of thin air but demonstrates a point) are playable on all systems.

The first question, do you care about those last % of Exclusives? they are far from the Worlds apart in quality or build then the other games, I can state that with a fair bit of certainty.

Do you care about games that are not made with huge production value? Do Graphics and sound trumph gameplay or story?.

Do you have a preference in the input from you to the game?

Most people will harp on about the exclusives as a reason for which platform to take (I can state that through my eyes most the exclusives I ever playeid were rarely worth a damn, except ironically Nintendo which tend to create a kind of game near Unique to them. TLoU, GeoW, KZ, Fable are all examples of games that are so run of the mill (abeit one of the mentioned did make a genre popular) but they are more of the same.

In my view the main concern is as following: An open envioment which you can tailor to your liking in any form imaginable, but with it a more flakey platform which may present some challanges or unintended results. Or an controlled envioment in which you get to play the games, but only ever as intended, and no personal preferences, a safe and well functioning envioment, where your preferences and personal needs Means Little to nothing.

I think that is where the debate should start, when you are debating with yourself. One of them is undeniably "safe" you know the game will all but always Work (apart from a few freak accidents), less hassle sit Down and play, versus the ability to dictate how the game plays, eradicate possible nausia, or allow whatever control input you wish from a wide range, to find what suits you best.

Cost is pretty pointless too, Ive had a PC and atleast one console each gen since the NES, and in the end of a gen when you did the talley the overall cost always ended so close together that the pricing issue was pointless from the getgo.

Now. One thing I would state is: IF you do go for a PC, which is the open platform, then I would advice to save up a bit more. The initial cost is more important on that specific platform, where as the PS4 will have a lower initial cost, but the upkeep is alot higher.

So if you like a controlled safe envioment where the game Works as advertised, then grab a PS4, especially if the amount of Money you have is what you are going to get (unless you know someone WHO can pick good parts for you, and either help you put it together, or you do it yourself).

If you can gather some more Money, My advice would be the PC, given the freedom for the user can never be understated. The ability to find whatever control method Works best for you, set up a game so it fits you (can help get rid of nausia, modded to help with colourblind issues, if not allready, or indeed alter the entire game itself to fir your taste (skyrim a late great example).

Now it is important that while I feel the pros and cons here are fairly unbiased, I do have my preferences, and there are Things I dislike that you might not. you MIGHT like those EXCLUSIVES way more then I tend to do, or you might not want the safe feeling of a closed platform a console gives you. So I can not tell you what you should buy, not advice you to what do buy, Simply tell my points of view which you can agree or disagree with as you wish.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Neither of those are worthwhile upgrades. You should have gone with a 770 instead of a 760

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@Ballroompirate: It depends really, sometimes it starts in june, sometimes all the way to july

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ballroompirate

@Couth_ said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@romio7754 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Neither of those are worthwhile upgrades. You should have gone with a 770 instead of a 760

Didn't feel like dropping an extra $50-$100 for the 770 which is barely better than the 760. The difference from what I was looking at between the two is mostly 7-10 fps which doesn't justify the extra $$$ in my books, of course I had a 550 so getting a 760 was a pretty decent upgrade for me.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@Couth_ said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Didn't feel like dropping an extra $50-$100 for the 770 which is barely better than the 760. The difference from what I was looking at between the two is mostly 7-10 fps which doesn't justify the extra $$$ in my books, of course I had a 550 so getting a 760 was a pretty decent upgrade for me.

Aye.. If ya say so but I just meant in comparison to more RAM, the 770 would have been way better than your other two ideas

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ballroompirate

@roler42 said:

@Ballroompirate: It depends really, sometimes it starts in june, sometimes all the way to july

I think the last one for 2013 was in mid July for GMG and Steam (Steam was July 11th I think).

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

I don't get why everyone is saying expensive pc parts are better investment than cheaper ones. My 4770 gave me so much more value than my 6950.

Anyway, look for the games you want to play and put the money towards those games' platform.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

with more and more pc games coming to consoles..... there isnt much going on in the world of pc unless you like mmos and RTS games

We've been hearing this for years .

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

i'd say it depends on the games you want to play. If you into the strategy /rpgs of all flavors/fps/moba/mmo/simulators/emulators/indies you definitely cannot go wrong with pc.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Actually the opposite is happening. The best games from each platform more often make make their way to PC than other systems.

Why do you think PC always ends up with the most high scoring games?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

PC. Nothing worth getting on the ps4 right now.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

I'd say PS4 if that's your budget. A $700 PC won't last you an entire console generation and you'd have to upgrade the GPU at some point.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#42 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

@Merex760: has a point. I was going to say PC, but you will have to update it eventually. Honestly you cant go wrong with both. But the PC has so much to offer right now comparing to the early PS4.

(Btw I have a PS4, so no Fanboyism)

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I suggest to get a PS4 and save that $150-$200 for other things because with the PS4 you get most of the multiplats that will also appear on PC and some multiplats appear early on consoles than on PC btw.

now if your a graphic whore, enjoy strategy games, free to play games, mobas, paying a lot of money for hardware and enjoy sales ( like steam sales ) then obviously the PC is for you

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@finalstar2007 said:

and enjoy sales ( like steam sales ) then obviously the PC is for you

Those are the worst.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I suggest to get a PS4 and save that $150-$200 for other things because with the PS4 you get most of the multiplats that will also appear on PC and some multiplats appear early on consoles than on PC btw.

now if your a graphic whore, enjoy strategy games, free to play games, mobas, paying a lot of money for hardware and enjoy sales ( like steam sales ) then obviously the PC is for you

Bro, tons of other exclusives exist outside of the genres you posted. Furthermore, you need to work on your biases. Try to be more objective yo.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

@Young_Charter said:

@Merex760: has a point. I was going to say PC, but you will have to update it eventually. Honestly you cant go wrong with both. But the PC has so much to offer right now comparing to the early PS4.

(Btw I have a PS4, so no Fanboyism)

this is just another myth pushed by ignorant consolites. The consolites pretend as if each game going into the future is played at max settings on their consoles while a pc is getting worst into the future. Its these sorts of myths that are just laughable. Its like saying your 7870 is suddenly going to beat a gtx titan 5 years from now. They pretend computer code is never improved and that optimization on PC is nill. The consolites pretend they play all their games at maximum fidelity.. Including the games going into the future..

Just look at last gen, They were down to minus 720p 25-27 frames per second with extremely blurry /jaggied graphics. But they would have you believe that just because a dinosaur can play battlefield as well that must mean they are getting magical optimization, Yet make no mention of the fact that a junk piece of computer hardware dating from the time the ps3 came out still beats the game in fidelity and performance.

Here are the facts, Games going into the future will keep pushing the graphic boundaries , as such more performance will be required.. But just because you cannot maxout the games in the future with the same hardware doesn't mean the ps4/bone are going to be playing the games at better settings than a pc with hardware that was already ahead of the ps4. This myth is laughable

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

First question should be have you built a computer before?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The PC is by far the best platform for gaming if you have a good one. Dont skimp out on second best, save up a bit more and get a good custom built PC. Head over to the PC section of this forum if you need help choosing your parts.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Personally If I were you I'd say a pc . It allows you to build a system that can play current games on ultra settings on a 1080p tv or monitor, it gives you the most varied market place of vendors leading to extremely cheap games. I might spend a few hundred on games a year topping at around $500. Here in Canada that is 6 games at the price of 80$ as generally good games don't go on sale with comparable prices to what things like steam or the humble bundle offer. On my new pc last year for around $500 I purchased 71 games most being AAA titles.

Over all in the long run if your on a budget most of the time, the pc is the way to go. It may have a large initial start up cost but, the games are so much cheaper you end up saving money in the long run, or just get to play more games for the same amount. You also will have a kick as pc that can do far more then what the consoles are limited too. Too many people are short sighted buy the $400 dollar price tag, when online fee's and closed market places lead to a much larger cash drain. It's really up too you but in the end Neither are a bad choice, both have ups and downs, I personally see more ups with a fully functioning and upgradable pc, and others will like the lower initial cost of consoles. Neither is wrong it all depends on what you want to spend in the long run that counts.

If your looking into the cheaper pc route look into pcpartpicker.com Lots of builds on there made by others with reviews by others. Should help a lot when looking for comparisons or ideas.