Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Gollum hype? (47 votes)

Non-existent 36%
Don't care 26%
Def don't care 21%
Care 17%

So was looking at the Harry Potter game and wondering, where are the good Lord Of The Rings game at?

It seems this IP's flame largely burnt out after the movies, aside from that edgy Batman clone, whereas something like Starwars continued to flourish endlessly. Indicating it's better.

Do you give a shit about the Gollum game? Could this be a surprise hit or something? Did you remember this existed until it was brought up just now?

Seen 0 hype for this thing.

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Yeah was looking into this one a while back. I like the LotR universe, seems odd that most of the games range from trash to mid. (edit: oh wait, the rts games were pretty good)

Nothing grabbing me with this one so far, but I'll give it another look when it's out.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

None at all. The PS2 games were dope.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39540 Posts

Looks like a 2013 ps4 game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner

@hardwenzen:

Yeah, thought this comment was pretty funny.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39540 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@hardwenzen:

Yeah, thought this comment was pretty funny.

🤣🤣🤣

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Even though I grew up with LOTR and love the IP, I'm really not interested in this.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Big no based on the fact alone that Gollum is annoying as f@ck. He's cool in the books, but the movies ruined him. This looks like the movies.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44401 Posts

Wouldn’t say that I’m necessarily interested enough to be looking to pick up the game when it comes out but wouldn’t really say that I don’t care about it at all. Curious to see how it turns out. I absolutely loved the movies but never really got into the games. Probably played the RTS game the most out of all of them and thought it was pretty good. Heard the EA action games were pretty good as well. Never played them though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner
@Archangel3371 said:

Heard the EA action games were pretty good as well. Never played them though.

Yeah, not missing out man. People throw around the phrase "mindless button masher" pretty loosely, but those games were actually that.

I'd get stupid baked with the bros and run the co-op, but can't imagine just playing the game on its own merits.

There was also that LotR game that was basically a FFX clone. Sounds alright on paper, but all I remember is fighting endless waves of the same Orcs in turn based battles. Zzzzz. Balrog fight looked amazing at the time tho.

Really do wish this franchise had some better games. This one at least has an interesting premise, but damn, why is looking so cheap for such a cash cow IP.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44401 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, that doesn’t sound particularly enjoyable. Tried the recent ones like Shadow of Mordor but just kept losing interest in it each time I tried to get into it. Wish the franchise would get a really solid game that would hook me because I do enjoy the universe and lore of the franchise.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56308 Posts

As far as LOTR game goes, Shadow of Mordor/War was totally legit great games and when the announcements for Gollum came to be, I thought it would be somewhere in line with the Shadow of...games, and seeing the gameplay left me nope, this is a hard pass. Sorry but I too think this looks like a PS3 game despite Gollum is cross-gen with PS4.

Honestly, I never find Gollum err Smeagol to be that interesting besides his role in the first Hobbit movie to say the least but giving him a game of his own doesn't sound interesting and it doesn't do justice when the game got delayed so its kinda forgotten by most gaming media.

Seriously WB, just make Middle-Earth 3 when you know Shadow of...games were awesome.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Never heard of it until now. Looks like a joke, literally, from the concept, to the graphics, to the overly dramatic music, to the VO. It looks like a moderately expensive prank.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

You people are ignorant as hell. It’s a buy for me because it’s a freaking Daedalic, one of the most underrated game dev out there that still specializes on the great storytelling. They are responsible for click-and-point adventure masterpieces such as Deponia Trillogy, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Whispered World, etc. Hell yeah, the story of the game will be great for sure.

Just get prepared to bitter sweet ending. It’s kinda their specialty.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

You people are ignorant as hell. It’s a buy for me because it’s a freaking Daedalic, one of the most underrated game dev out there that still specializes on the great storytelling. They are responsible for click-and-point adventure masterpieces such as Deponia Trillogy, Chains of Satinav, Memoria, The Whispered World, etc. Hell yeah, the story of the game will be great for sure.

Then they should've made this point and click as well, instead of trying to be an actual video game, because it looks like shit.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I’m not a fan of most stealth heavy games. Ones where that is the only focus. Though, there are a couple I’m fond of. So, I won’t write it off just for that reason. However, while I love the Tolkien universe, the gameplay trailer they showed looked horrendous. Like, really really bad.

This is a wait and watch thing for me. I have zero expectations though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17864 Posts

Massive half-ass vibe with this one. 3/10 if I am being generous. Nobody would give a shit about this game at all if it didn't have the license. Play the Styx games instead if you want a decent stealth adventure game.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

They must have spent 3/4 of the budget on licensing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

It's a stealth game, right?

So yeah, kind of looking forward to it. Though TBH I usually forget it exist.

The LOTR/Middle-Earth (can't officially use LOTR sometimes due to licensing but Middle-Earth is somehow OK!? lol) games have been pretty good, for the most part.

*Anyone looking to play some half-decent medieval-fantasy stealth games while we wait for this should check out Styx: Shards of Darkness

Loading Video...

**Shadwen was also pretty good, albeit a bit low budget probably for the corporate AAA bootlickers on this forum😋 Had a neat rewind and pause mechanic to it, and a gameplay element akin to A Plague Tale.

Loading Video...
Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Mildly interested in it, but to be fair seems like a game that could easily flop though!

First shadow of Mordor was amazing, the sequel has wayyyyy to much grind in it to lure people into the cash shop, so lost interest in that halfway through!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10514 Posts

enjoyed shadow of mordor when it first came out but it was a bit of a barren year. couldn't get into the sequel. never heard of this but mildly curious if it's a stealth game. hopefully you can mute gollum's voice and use subtitles

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 515 Posts

I'm not really following the game. It didn't look good to me initially, and I read an article about playing a preview level and they didn't exactly shower it with praise.

I'm more interested in Return to Moria. A survival/crafting game where you and some buddies build your own Mines of Moria? Yeah, that sounds right up my alley.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Not really interested. Then again I had zero hype for Harry Potter game and it turned out decent.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah was looking into this one a while back. I like the LotR universe, seems odd that most of the games range from trash to mid. (edit: oh wait, the rts games were pretty good)

Nothing grabbing me with this one so far, but I'll give it another look when it's out.

Be honest, did you ever tell yourself; "Man, I wish I was Gollum," when reading or watching LOTR? The answer is clearly a "no" so I don't even know why the **** they did this. Doesn't help that it looks trash lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

I'm not really following the game. It didn't look good to me initially, and I read an article about playing a preview level and they didn't exactly shower it with praise.

I'm more interested in Return to Moria. A survival/crafting game where you and some buddies build your own Mines of Moria? Yeah, that sounds right up my alley.

Mines of Moria looks great, can't wait for it.

I love building underground. Whenever I play Minecraft, I always go into a hillside or down below lol.

My dream is to find a nice hillside piece of land, just a few acres, and build a hobbit burrow for my house. Super expensive to dig out and it might not be legal in California (earthquakes and building codes) but I'd like to try!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25
@Juub1990 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Be honest, did you ever tell yourself; "Man, I wish I was Gollum," when reading or watching LOTR? The answer is clearly a "no" so I don't even know why the **** they did this. Doesn't help that it looks trash lol.

lol that's a very fair point.

Gollum is an incredibly interesting character with some good backstory, but as I've seen him in the films he is pretty one-dimensional.

I think the initial idea probably came from "Hmmm...what was he up to when everyone else was doing stuff?" As far as spinoffs go, there are far more characters to explore.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7260 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Looks like a 2013 ps4 game.

nah 2018 ps4 game with raytracing 30fps lmao.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8324 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Never heard of it until now. Looks like a joke, literally, from the concept, to the graphics, to the overly dramatic music, to the VO. It looks like a moderately expensive prank.

Lmao, they can't all be zingers

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
@Juub1990 said:

Be honest, did you ever tell yourself; "Man, I wish I was Gollum," when reading or watching LOTR?

It's been a life long dream of mine, actually.

Nah, shit no lol. Now you got me thinking of this game, click basically anywhere in the vid.

Loading Video...

Still, not gonna say Gollum himself is straight up the deal breaker for me. A game about sneaking and scheming around Middle Earth, witnessing events from his perspective, they could do something cool with that. Just don't see this one hitting the mark lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59229 Posts

Not getting the Gollum hate lol Thought he was awesome character.

Makes a change as well from the typical Lord Of The Rings games where you killing shit with a sword.

Although can understand why, on paper more exciting and better marketing.

The visuals don't bother me, if it has interesting gameplay get over it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34719 Posts

Gollum annoys me quite a bit. Don't think I could handle a whole game with him.

Also, this reminds me of Styx, but Styx looks much better.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1181 Posts

The game looks mediocre. I haven’t been seeing any trailers for the game either except for the one time. Doubtless it’ll release to poor reviews and sales and therefore cause publishers to shy away from the Tolkien franchise. You would think with the amount of money Amazon put into their show, that some publishers would jump off of the hype and get some games out before it dies off. Not sure how ROP is doing anyway.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9586 Posts

This is a weird one for me. If it were just a normal type lotr game I would get it for sure. I am equally intrigued and turned off by the thought of only playing as gollum. Might buy might pass, need to see more first.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3468 Posts

Playing as Gollum can make an absolutely great game. Fantastic character, in a fantastic universe, could easily be turned into a great story driven stealth based game. But this particular game so far looks like a 4/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

It already came out. It's called 'Stray' on Steam

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17864 Posts

@theam0g: Ouch. That is a massive insult to Stray.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup

Be funny if this game was actually amazing and everyone got self-owned.

Now actively rooting for it. Gonna be a banger.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56308 Posts

I gotta ask this question here. Why does everyone want to see Smeagol get his own game but not asking for Middle-Earth 3? Gamers are getting tired of Middle-Earth games?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@davillain said:

I gotta ask this question here. Why does everyone want to see Smeagol get his own game but not asking for Middle-Earth 3? Gamers are getting tired of Middle-Earth games?

Just announced the other day a bunch of LOTR projects.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/5-lord-of-the-rings-games-launching-in-next-24-months-and-one-remains-a-mystery/1100-6511583/

Cleary they saw this important and widely known thread.