Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles [source]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Omnisystem
#1 Posted by Omnisystem (613 posts) -

So yeah...PC gaming is definitely dead...or will be soon!

PC gamers just pirate everything right? What do you consolites think?

Source

Avatar image for lostrib
#2 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

old news. no one cares

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#3 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14073 posts) -

We already know . It is a week old news . Great news though .

Avatar image for osirisx3
#4 Posted by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#5 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9666 posts) -

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Avatar image for lostrib
#6 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

proof?

Avatar image for Vaasman
#7 Posted by Vaasman (12411 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

Compared to any individual platform, it has been for a while. Now it's bigger than all the other platforms combined.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#8 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14073 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

Avatar image for console_caesar
#9 Posted by Console_Caesar (46 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

So you're pitching FREE games against full price $60 games? And lol, Diablo 3 is also on consoles, that's why it sold 15 Million copies.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14073 posts) -

@console_caesar said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

So you're pitching FREE games against full price $60 games? And lol, Diablo 3 is also on consoles, that's why it sold 15 Million copies.

Diablo 3 on consoles didn't sell more than 1.5 million copies . Before the release of console versions PC version had already sold over 12 million , new expansion now have 3+ million users .

What's with your user name .? Are you 12 years old .?

Avatar image for mr-powers
#11 Posted by Mr-Powers (508 posts) -

Old and already debunked. I'm guessing OP already knew that though and just posted it again to pep up the Peasant Class gamers after all the bad news they've been getting.

Unless, he really is as dumb as he looks by posting old, discredited analysis by one unknown guy. If that's the case, you're forgiven. We do have to give the beggars a little slack after all.

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#12 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14073 posts) -

@mr-powers said:

Old and already debunked. I'm guessing OP already knew that though and just posted it again to pep up the Peasant Class gamers after all the bad news they've been getting.

Unless, he really is as dumb as he looks by posting old, discredited analysis by one unknown guy. If that's the case, you're forgiven. We do have to give the beggars a little slack after all.

Debunked by who exactly .?

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#13 Posted by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

When you think about it, it's really consoles that are doing poorly. Sure, the PS4 is doing very well, but even there, Sony hasn't been able to ship enough units; it'll take another two or three years before a significant enough user base has been built up to warrant the risks associated with development. The PS4 is also the anomaly. Everywhere else, the consoles are struggling. The WiiU was a flop. The XB1 is rapidly becoming a flop. The Vita is a major flop. The 3DS--while doing good--isn't performing anywhere near the same level that the DS did. The console market really is in trouble.

Avatar image for kittennose
#14 Edited by KittenNose (1074 posts) -

@cfisher2833: Dude, I am a hermit, but seriously PS and Xbox are making money hand over fist.

When did the Square-Enix definition of flop become standard?

Avatar image for wis3boi
#15 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@console_caesar said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

So you're pitching FREE games against full price $60 games? And lol, Diablo 3 is also on consoles, that's why it sold 15 Million copies.

Diablo 3 on consoles didn't sell more than 1.5 million copies . Before the release of console versions PC version had already sold over 12 million , new expansion now have 3+ million users .

What's with your user name .? Are you 12 years old .?

Since you appear new to GS, it's call a troll account after getting banned....a la 75% of this site

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#16 Edited by Cloud_imperium (14073 posts) -

@wis3boi: I know , he is Xboxdone74 . Still , it is childish to make an alt account and name it this stupid . Even a worst troll can do better .

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#17 Edited by MBirdy88 (11091 posts) -

@console_caesar said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

So you're pitching FREE games against full price $60 games? And lol, Diablo 3 is also on consoles, that's why it sold 15 Million copies.

reported for ban dodging.

those free games are generating more money than those horrible $60 games.... funny that isnt it? those free games are played by 500k people at peak aswell.

How many people play uncharted online? LOL ABOUT 10k.

Avatar image for lostrib
#18 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@console_caesar said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@osirisx3 said:

wait i thought hermits said pc gaming was always biggest

PC gaming was bigger than each console . Now it is bigger than all consoles (5 platforms against one) .

@Nonstop-Madness said:

PC gaming is growing primarily because of F2P games like DOTA2, LOL, Marvel Heroes etc. and at the end of the day, you can't pirate F2P games my friend.

Most of revenue from consoles is generated by COD , FIFA , Madden etc . Yes MOBAs are pretty big right now on PC but games like Civilization 5 , Starcraft etc are still in top 10 most played games' list and those games aren't free . Diablo 3 for example have sold over 15 million copies .

So you're pitching FREE games against full price $60 games? And lol, Diablo 3 is also on consoles, that's why it sold 15 Million copies.

That's actually not true

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#19 Edited by uninspiredcup (20146 posts) -

pc gmaing is for adults who read books about philisofy.

Avatar image for lostrib
#20 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

pc gmaing is for adults who read books about philisofy.

oh lord...

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#21 Edited by lundy86_4 (47474 posts) -

Old.

Avatar image for Suppaman100
#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

The real question: When will PC overtake consoles in GOTY awards?

...lol

Avatar image for lostrib
#23 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

The real question: When will PC overtake consoles in GOTY awards?

...lol

dude, GOTY awards are given to games not platforms. It's really not that hard to understand

Avatar image for Omnisystem
#24 Posted by Omnisystem (613 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Suppaman100 said:

The real question: When will PC overtake consoles in GOTY awards?

...lol

dude, GOTY awards are given to games not platforms. It's really not that hard to understand

Give him a break man. Remember these are the same people who find setting up a PC way too difficult if not impossible. This kind of thought process, or a lack thereof, should be expected.

Avatar image for cfisher2833
#25 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@kittennose said:

@cfisher2833: Dude, I am a hermit, but seriously PS and Xbox are making money hand over fist.

When did the Square-Enix definition of flop become standard?

Like I said, the PS4 is doing very well. There's no doubt about that. The XB1 is performing far poorer. Estimates say it's sold less than four million, as compared to Sony's 7 million PS4s sold (source). Microsoft has also been quite dodgy about specific numbers sold; instead they've emphasized the amount of XB1s shipped, but a quick glance at any store will show you that's they're hardly flying off the shelves ala the PS4. This gap will only grow. Console gamers flock to the console their friends go to, and more and more that's becoming Sony's platform.

The console market as a whole is contracting enormously. Compared to the last gen, where 360s, PS3s, and Wiis were all selling like crazy, this gen is significantly behind, with only Sony's console performing similarly to the last gen consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
#26 Edited by deactivated-583e460ca986b (7240 posts) -

So if PC has the highest market revenue and Mobile is growing quickly doesn't that mean console gaming is what's dying?

Avatar image for cainetao11
#28 Posted by cainetao11 (28139 posts) -

PC sure has been getting my money via steam

Avatar image for behardy24
#29 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Not surprised. PC is the platform that has most games at all times.

Avatar image for Jankarcop
#30 Edited by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

@mr-powers said:

Old and already debunked.