Gears of War going back to its dark roots

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

That sounds good, but I really hope they'll expand the gameplay palette somewhat. That is a must, coupled with a great co-op and competitive multiplayer - this will ensure a resounding success. What sets Gears of War apart Tomb Raider, Uncharted and other TPP action games is the fact that the multiplayer isn't really tacked-on and is a really bona-fide experience that rivals the biggest blockbusters in terms of online popularity. It's not an afterthought like in Tomb Raider.

By the way I really liked the dark overtones of the first GeoW game, especially the Kryll segment which I thought was very atmospheric, dark, brooding and quite frankly superb. It had that unnverving horror feel to it, reminiscent of early Resident Evil games (i.e. not President Devil 4).

Anyway, here's the article, it's from GameSpot:

The upcoming Gears of War game in development at Black Tusk Studios for Xbox One is not a reboot, according to Phil Spencer, who heads up all of Xbox. In a new interview, Spencer said it is imperative that the new Gears of War game recaptures the essence of earlier titles, including their dark tone.

"I wouldn't call it a reboot because I don't think the franchise necessarily needs that," Spencer told IGN as part of a wide-ranging podcast interview.

Gears of War: Judgment was not the franchise's finest hour, Spencer says
Gears of War: Judgment was not the franchise's finest hour, Spencer says

The franchise, which Microsoft acquired from Epic Games earlier this year, does not need to be rebooted in part because the series still has legions of dedicated fans, despite an underwhelming game in Judgment, Spencer said.

"I know Judgement didn't hit everybody's needs and desires in terms of what they wanted. But I think we can continue, but we can also--we have a new team, [original Gears of War trilogy producer Rod Fergusson is] there to really help with the continuity. I think we can make sure that we're investing in this thing for the next decade, which is how I want to think about it."

Also in the interview, Spencer said that while the Gears of War series started out strong and confident in what it was aiming to be, subsequent titles felt like parodies of earlier games.

"The thing that was great about the early Gears of War games, to me, [was] just the epic scale of the settings that I was in," he said. "The story, the setting was a lot more what I would call soulful and maybe even a little dark. And [Rod Fergusson] and I have talked about this; I think the game over time became almost more of a parody of itself; not for any kind of horrible reasons. It's hard to continue to manage the IP."

"And Gears 2 did well, Gears 3 did well. So I thought the franchise continued to grow. But we've talked about getting back to something … I think the story and the setting and what they're going through ... in a Gears of War--the name of the game, it really meant something to what that game was about. We've got to get back to that. The feeling of those individuals."

The new and untitled Gears of War game for Xbox One is in the very early stages of development, and all we've seen so far from it is a blurry piece of concept art.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Killer App confirmed. :P

I agree with ya on some new game play and also I really hope this Gears like the first is a real visuals tour de force for the X1.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Huh ? How can they go back to their darker roots if the series never lightened up to begin with.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Shotgun spam and lag/shit netcode confirmed then? I'm still excited, I like the games despite the issues. I hope they do an xbox1 collection first like with halo. Should be a lot easier with the Gears games, in fact.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Next "killer app" messiah hyped by lems

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I remember how this game was the "next gen" game, last gen. People were comparing 360 titles to that of the first xbox. This game was a show stopper, though. I had bought a 360 shortly after launch--the games were underwhelming. I was thinking, "maybe I should have bought a ps3" seeing all these vids and whatnot. This was the game that sort of put that to rest.

It had this odd mix of horror, mad max, and gag 80sish humor.

Too bad the sequel stunk.

What I don't get is if this is just a name or if the original design team is on board.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

LOL Gears.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Loved the ones from Epic. The one from Playground Games were good but not on the same level but they were the Epic b-team. I am looking forward to what this new studio can do and it seems Microsoft is really invested in making it great. Epic created a great world that can be explored much more and top notch shooting gameplay and like I said I am looking forward to what Black Tusk can do.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Heirren said:

I remember how this game was the "next gen" game, last gen. People were comparing 360 titles to that of the first xbox. This game was a show stopper, though. I had bought a 360 shortly after launch--the games were underwhelming. I was thinking, "maybe I should have bought a ps3" seeing all these vids and whatnot. This was the game that sort of put that to rest.

What I don't get is if this is just a name or if the original design team is on board.

It has some of the original creators, the creative director is one of them.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mr-powers said:

Shotgun spam and lag/shit netcode confirmed then? I'm still excited, I like the games despite the issues. I hope they do an xbox1 collection first like with halo. Should be a lot easier with the Gears games, in fact.

Alone side few enemies at once and stupid AI that fail to take covers efficiently.

Gears is and abused series MS push it to hard Judgement was proof of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Heirren said:

It has some of the original creators, the creative director is one of them.

I wonder. Gears got topped last gen and that genre is just overblown. Team should be risky.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Just as long as I get to chainsaw someone, I'll be happy.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Well, the novels are pretty damn dark. Good old rape camps.

Seriously though, what game isn't going for the "DARKER" route these days..

Rara08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Rara08
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

Judgement wasn't bad in my opinion. I actually had fun with it. But Im happy to see them continuing this franchise. One of the main reasons I own an Xbox now.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Lol, gears of war.... Dark LOL

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

I never really got into Gears. It's a fine series but there's a lot about it I don't like.

Rara08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rara08
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

@davillain-: Oh no I agree! Comparatively to its predecessors, the stories I didnt care for. It didnt feel all that thought out and thrown together just to make another Gears. Certain stories were a bit much and unnecessary, like Cole's. But I def enjoyed online and some of the new features.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

They making it sound like Gears of War has been around for ages.

Come on guys, it's barely even 10 years old.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I found gears really boring played 1-3. Nothing much changed in sequels it's like play one played them all.

Rictshard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Rictshard
Member since 2014 • 265 Posts

Needs to be like Gears 3 which was the peak of the series, dedicated servers, fantastic horde mode and beast mode. Judgement had some good ideas but poor execution.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

So, no Lambents I'm assuming. Thank gawd. Such a stupid turn of events for the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I love Gears probably more than the franchise deserves but I'll second the opinion of the first game having some horror elements - it was pretty damn dark. From the levels underground to the night level, it oozed atmosphere and I felt that was missing from the sequels.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Maybe Marcus will actually cry in this new game..lol

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Good luck to the brand new developers tackling GeoW.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

yay more grey and brown

@Heil68 said:

Maybe Marcus will actually cry in this new game..lol

plot twist, marcus also had a wife which he never talked about for the first 3 games but he now suddenly remembers so he starts to cry about it

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

More shameless "inspiration" from Games Workshop.

Crnlare would probably be excited about this casual franchise if he could still post.

He could probably also explain how non-casual and original the Gears series has been since its inception.