Gears of War developer thinks Killzone is generic

• 130 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Gears Judgement dev? Lol................. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Heck KZ 2 shits all over every single Gears of War game out there.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

If Killzone ever reaches 8 million copies it will cause suicides in SW.

With that said, Gear 1-3 added to the series, starting out, fixing the online, and then bringing the best of both, and GEars of Judgement was a prequel that played with changed mechanics for better or worse. If they don't make another Gears game (like the previous ones anyway) it won't become generic like lots of random people in this thread is saying.

Killzone on the other hand, despite the Halo killer title, started out not being generic by first being a bug filled mess of a shooter that reminds you of a Bethesda game, but then fixed that with Killzone 2 which quality is debatable. Everything after Killzone 2 is why Killzone is generic, they dropped for copying instead of trying to be unique because it was not the safe bet.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#153  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The term "generic" gets tossed around far too often these days. It's gotten to the point where it basically doesn't mean anything.

There's literally only a handful of consistent military/soldier based FPS franchises; Halo, Crysis, COD, Battlefield and Killzone. Which one of these franchises hasn't been called generic at some point? The whole damn genre has been slapped with the label and I find it really freaking dumb.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154  Edited By ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Gears and Killzone are both generic but Killzone actually looks nice.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I just find it a strange comment from Epic... when does a game become generic? after people are all making similar games for 10+ years?

Also as I noted before Gears of War isn't even genre defining, it is a copy of Killswitch from 2003 of which many many games have copied including Gears of War and Uncharted.

If we are talking about story then what does Gears of War do that no other game has before? shooting aliens... nope, cover based combat... nope. I admit it is probably the first to do both but so what.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@edwardecl said:

I just find it a strange comment from Epic... when does a game become generic? after people are all making similar games for 10+ years?

Also as I noted before Gears of War isn't even genre defining, it is a copy of Killswitch from 2003 of which many many games have copied including Gears of War and Uncharted.

If we are talking about story then what does Gears of War do that no other game has before? shooting aliens... nope, cover based combat... nope. I admit it is probably the first to do both but so what.

It's not Epic the title is deceiving. It's a Dev from people can fly, the guys responsible for Judgement.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Lemming butthurt is strong in this thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#158 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

@StriateEnd said:

Gears Judgement dev? Lol................. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Heck KZ 2 shits all over every single Gears of War game out there.

You're being pretty stupid.
Judgment is one game he's worked on. Others are Bulletstorm and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Scrolling through his twitter he seems very into exploring game and narrative design, including criticizing and discussing that of other games.

With that said, criticizing a game before you've played it doesn't give you a whole lot to stand on. You can have an opinion on gameplay shown, but that might be from the explodiest part of the game or whatever.
And generic is a dumb word, but that's only used because of Twitter.

marco1k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#159 marco1k1
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts

@clyde46:

Now-a-days Gears is very generic however its important to remember that it really created the boom of third person shooters with the cover mechanic.

The only Killzone game I've actually played was the PSP exclusive which was alright to some degree but frankly showed the signs of being fairly generic - I was interested in the multiplayer for Killzone 2/3 though but apparently it wasn't that great? as I never hear anybody talking about it anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

@edwardecl said:

He never worked at Epic.

Bailed out as Epic bought the company, roughly six months before Judgment was released. Quit People Can Fly and started working on the story-focused The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

If you want to discuss with him what he meant by "generic", why he thinks that's not preferable etc. you could try PM him on NeoGAF or something.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

The latest Gears game was the worst in the series. The newest Killzone will be the best in the series. I'd much rather have a series that is improving.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

I'd rather have neither Killzone nor Gears.