Gears of War and Halo are pretty unique

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I dont have my Xbox 360 anymore. So all I have is my uber powerful Alienware. Yeah man its that powerful.

It made me realize how theres nothing else like Halo and Gears of War. I seriously looked at all the pc games and none come close. Gears of War, theres obviously nothing else like it. The pc forum guys pretty much just gave off random fps games that have nothing in common to those games.

Gears of war, it has that cover based in your face multiplayer. Still amazes me to this day how you can chainsaw someone and whatnot. Well Halo, is just Halo. I cant really describe how it feels unique but it does.

I get a feeling that Titanfall will be another franchise that has its own unique feel to it. Do you agree?

I guess Ms's value to the gamer is how they always bring some unique multiplayer game to the table. I can totally feel that with Titanfall.

Me personally, I think Bungie will drop the ball and their Destiny game will just turn up like any other military fps game or generic scifi game. I should put it in a bettery way. I feel Destiny will be a scifi game that plays like a military shooter. Generic military shooter.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

I dont have my Xbox 360 anymore. So all I have is my uber powerful Alienware. Yeah man its that powerful.

I lol'd

Gr8 b8 m8

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Golly, good thing MS is around to save gaming as we know it.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slipknot0129

@senses_fail_06 said:

@slipknot0129 said:

I lol'd

Gr8 b8 m8

One of the perks of having an Alienware is I can brag about it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Why don't you just decide what kind of fanboy you are, already? Or, better yet, start making threads that don't suck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

I agree. The doom man using the spaceship from aliens to shoot the aliens from aliens is pretty unique. His sexy computer friend from Andromeda is already pretty unique. **** you Gene Roddenberry.

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Halosball
Member since 2013 • 103 Posts

Gears of War is one of the most barebones, most basic, most restrictive, and most repetitive shooters ever!

You are literally doing nothing in a Gears game but going to one piece of cover, popping out for a shot, then going to the next piece of cover, and repeating the same thing over and over again until add nasuem occurs, then zzzzzzz occurs...

Plus the controls are so unresponsive, clunky, and tank like in Gears, it literally is a chore just to control!

So not only does Gears have awful, generic, repetitive, shallow, and restrictive barebones gunplay/gameplay,

BUT Gears also tries to be a story driven game, yet some how fails even worse at that. The stories are horrendous, poorly done, and the dialogue is just cringe worthy.

There are so many cut scenes in Gears where you get complete control taken away from you too.

Gears is literal garbage through and through. Its a "game" built on cliches after cliches as well.

I have never played a more boring and restrictive shooter in my life IMO. Gears is the single most over rated big budget game of all time, Halo is a close second for most over rated big bidget game of all time

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Halosball

RE4 set the standard for TPS...

Killswitch also did alot for the TPS genre etc....

Gears in fact was nothing but a blatant copy cat of Killswitch.....

What Gears did was lower the standard!

Uncharted raised the standard back to where it was!

Last of Us simply took it all to the NEXT LEVEL transcending the TPS genre

Bukowski81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bukowski81
Member since 2005 • 242 Posts

@halosball said:

Gears of War is one of the most barebones, most basic, most restrictive, and most repetitive shooters ever!

You are literally doing nothing in a Gears game but going to one piece of cover, popping out for a shot, then going to the next piece of cover, and repeating the same thing over and over again until add nasuem occurs, then zzzzzzz occurs...

Plus the controls are so unresponsive, clunky, and tank like in Gears, it literally is a chore just to control!

So not only does Gears have awful, generic, repetitive, shallow, and restrictive barebones gunplay/gameplay,

BUT Gears also tries to be a story driven game, yet some how fails even worse at that. The stories are horrendous, poorly done, and the dialogue is just cringe worthy.

There are so many cut scenes in Gears where you get complete control taken away from you too.

Gears is literal garbage through and through. Its a "game" built on cliches after cliches as well.

I have never played a more boring and restrictive shooter in my life IMO. Gears is the single most over rated big budget game of all time, Halo is a close second for most over rated big bidget game of all time

To each his own, I think Gears is amazing, is the only game that i bother to play online, no other online multiplayer game has kept my interest for more than a couple days...

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Halosball

Gears of War is the reason why people hate on linear cinematic games.

Gears did it ALL WRONG. Gears and even Halo now too are overly linear corridor scripted shoot fests.

Gears and Halo deserve all that hate and more..

But games like God of War and Metal Gear Solid DO IT RIGHT and deserve praise, especially Uncharted which is at the pinnacle and is the game that redefined action adventure. Uncharted revolutionzed this gen.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

@slipknot0129 said:

I lol'd

Gr8 b8 m8

I haven't had a good laugh all week. Thanks bruh.

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

no, vanquish is the template for tps,

and duke nukem 3d should be the template for open world fps shooters,

sadly games would cost 200 million to reach the level of character and interactivity

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Halosball

You obviously hate the game, and you don't know how to play it either. I think you need to channel all that hate into something constructive.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slipknot0129

@farrell2k said:

If by "unique" you mean basically the same as any other shooters, then sure, I'll give you that...

I wish what you say was true. I'd be sure as heck playing those games right now. Truth is no game is like Gears of War or Halo.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Halo is only unique because all other arena shooters died out. Gears was unique, until every game out there lifted their cover mechanics.

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Halosball

Microsoft releases the same old boring Gears/Halo/Forza games year in and year out.

Microsoft does the absolute bare minimum in all regards.

There are MUCH MUCH better FPS games out there then Halo, MUCH MUCH MUCH better TPS games out there then Gears, and better racers out there then Forza etc

Gears and Halo are pretty much dead in the water now as franchises.....thank god...

Gears and Halo need to switch it up and do a serious revamp or they should completely die off already..

Halosball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Halosball

@BeardMaster said:

Gears was unique, until every game out there lifted their cover mechanics.

In no way shape or form was Gears revolutionary. Thats laughable.

Gears of War was a blatant coptly cat of Killswitch!

Killswitch is the game that inspired most third person shooters from this gen.

Gears of War was NOT the first cover shooter! It was simply the first to copy cover shooting and get famous for it (Despicable how Microsoft marketed Gears as being the first cover shooter out there, when in reality it was a copy cat of Killswitch)

Also, gun play is the SOLE focus of Gears of War(very repetitive game) and the gunplay itself in Gears is garbage.

The game that revolutionzed this gen was Uncharted 2....and I can give you a ton of examples if you want to get into it.....

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@halosball said:

@BeardMaster said:

Gears was unique, until every game out there lifted their cover mechanics.

In no way shape or form was Gears revolutionary. Thats laughable.

Gears of War was a blatant coptly cat of Killswitch!

Killswitch is the game that inspired most third person shooters from this gen.

Gears of War was NOT the first cover shooter! It was simply the first to copy cover shooting and get famous for it (Despicable how Microsoft marketed Gears as being the first cover shooter out there, when in reality it was a copy cat of Killswitch)

Also, gun play is the SOLE focus of Gears of War(very repetitive game) and the gunplay itself in Gears is garbage.

The game that revolutionzed this gen was Uncharted 2....and I can give you a ton of examples if you want to get into it.....

A game doesn't have to be the first to do something for it to be revolutionary, it just needs to cause change. You're saying one of the most popular games at the beginning of this gen had no effect on games?

You also ignored my question in the other thread about if you had played the xbox one games you called "overrated". Though I already have a very clear idea of what the answer is to the question

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@ Halosball

You also said many have tried to copy the Uncharted formula what formula is that and who tried to copy it ? I sure as hell as don't see anyone trying to copy it, maybe nobody else wants to.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

@slipknot0129 said:

I lol'd

Gr8 b8 m8

Looks like form now on, I will perceive alienware onwers like console peasants.

carpenter333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carpenter333
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts

@MK-Professor:

Master... Race... Checking... In...

Meep!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

Onething I do not like about other TPS's is the cover system doesn't evolve around one button like gears does. Uncharted uses two, Vanquish uses 2 and a half.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@halosball said:

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

What is so unique about a TPS and a FPS? Both those series are pretty basic in what they do, although they are doing it pretty well. Not unique at all though.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I don't really see anything unique about Halo. Unless you mean extremely slow FPS with barely any vertical action, which just wouldn't work well on a mouse and KB.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Geow (along Forza) is my most favorite series on 360.. not a fan of Halo series though !!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

I actually prefer unreal tournament to Halo. Its just better !

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@halosball said:

Gears of War is the reason why people hate on linear cinematic games.

Gears did it ALL WRONG. Gears and even Halo now too are overly linear corridor scripted shoot fests.

Gears and Halo deserve all that hate and more..

But games like God of War and Metal Gear Solid DO IT RIGHT and deserve praise, especially Uncharted which is at the pinnacle and is the game that redefined action adventure. Uncharted revolutionzed this gen.

I can tell that you've never gamed on anything other than a Playstation because you only mention the single player part of games. Gears 1 and Halo 2 + 3 had some of the best FPS/TPS multiplayer of all time.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

this thread made me poo my pants

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

@slipknot0129 said:

I lol'd

Gr8 b8 m8

Terrible troll,maybe you should stop

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Halo and Gears are games that play slow enough for people with stupid hands. Thats why everyone hated Halo 4 when they sped things up a bit. Go make a deal with Devilbot, and then get yourself a copy of Quake III.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@ judaspete

Never played Halo, Gears was normal speed. Have you ever Played Devil May Cry with the Turbo on ? What a Rush !

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#35 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Indeed. Truly innovative, life changing masterpieces.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Halo was good under Bungie, 343 though leaves me with little hope for the series now, I thought they did a shit job with CE Anniversary and Halo 4. There's still Destiny coming though, hopefully it's all it's been crack up to be.

Gears of War has life left to it I feel. I stopped giving a shit about the story since the introduction of the lambants but I still loved the games for strictly the addictive Horde modes. I never played Judgement but wanted to, main thing holding me back was my friends didn't get it and playing Gears with friends has been part of the biggest appeal to me. I heard it was weak on story but I kind of felt the series was weak on story all along. I was impressed by what I saw though of the sheer number of on screen baddies that can fill a scene, and from reviews I liked what I saw. They said instead of being a campaign like the others the conflict scenarios are broken into sections that play out more like challenges; I actually like this design approach more. Like I said I loved Horde mode, mostly because it was challenging, to bring that same treatment to the campaign to make it challenging and difficult would be a really great way to play with friends, rely on teamwork to survive rather than everybody fighting for kills against each other which I feel was what previous campaigns were like.

Plus, Gears I heard is no longer an Xbox exclusive, which I'm kind of glad to hear, I think it'll help keep the series going longer and breath new life into it with a greater chance of commercial success and greater exposure across numerous platforms. I always felt it was far superior than say Resistance or Uncharted as a shooter, and as someone who owned both the X360 and PS3 I really did felt it was better. If they make Gears go multiplatform then those fanboy comparisons will end and this game can thrive off its merits rather than where people stand in their fanboy allegiances. Hopefully though Epic decides to keep making them, or outsource them to groups like People Can Fly, I thought what they did with Judgement looked good.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

Stop reading at Alienware.

Anyway, neither of those 2 are unique, they might be unique and revolutionary when they came out, but no more.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@ rjdofu

Really ? Ive been meaning to get me some gears clones, reccomend any ?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

You want something like Gears of War....play one of the other thousand third person shooters that have all copied it.

You want a Halo-like FPS? **** that. Halo is a piece of shit series. Play Tribes Ascend, Shadow Warrior, Planetside 2, CS GO...anything other than that Halo garbage.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ cfisher2833

Sorry bra, I can't think of another game like gears, and it seems like you can't neither.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Agreed.

Many have tried to imitate each series, but they fail horribly.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I felt they were both highly average.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Here we go again.......... i love this gif

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Beefkebob not banned yet?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Both franchises are stale and sadly the only things MS has. oh oh and Forza~!~

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@silversix_ said:

They should just combine them all into one game, they might actually make something awesome for a change.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@halosball said:

You got something against the Cole Train? It's because he's black ain't it? O.o

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@silversix_ said:

They should just combine them all into one game, they might actually make something awesome for a change.

What i'm picturing is muscly dudes wearing Chiefs armor driving Ferari's. Dunno but i wouldn't buy that game lol