Gears 2 and COD4 is already the Halo Killers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CODjon84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CODjon84
Member since 2008 • 336 Posts

Im just curious as to why people are still saying that it will be near impossible for Killzone 2 to be a "The Halo Killer" remember this isnt 2004 when Halo was the only top notch Multiplayer game on a console, I use to love Halo 3 but honestly after playing such great games like COD4 and Gears 2, I just cant look at Halo the same way I use to.. I mean Compared to Gears 2 Halo's weapons have a weak sound to them, gameplay is just slow and it doesnt even let you "Sprint" sure it has vehicles but all FPS should come standard with a sprint feature.

What im saying is, If all Killzone 2 needs to do is be a "Halo Killer" then i think it will easily acheive it this time around.. Now if people are saying Killzone 2 will be a Gears or COD4 killer, then well that is something that would actually be a real challenge, but in today's standards I dont think Halo 3 should be the default top game anymore especially compared to how great Gears 2 is..  

Oh and sales wise I believe COD4 has already outsold Halo 3 and with Gears 2 already selling 2.1 million copies then its well on its way to outselling Halo 3 

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.
ChiddaPotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ChiddaPotta
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts
Gears of War, Call of Duty, Halo, Half-Life series are the face of shooters.
CODjon84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CODjon84

I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.BioShockOwnz

True but I just think Halo 3 is starting to show its age.. Now what they need to do is if they make Halo 4, they need to start from the ground up.. Use a whole new game engine or maybe even use the COD engine, that would be tight..But yea Resistance 2 is awesome, cant believe i forgot about that one. The other day I was playing Gears 2 and I went to play Halo 3 that same day and i was amazing how much its starting to age already in terms of just overall graphics and presentation  

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Why do games need to be classified as Halo Killers?
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.CODjon84

True but I just think Halo 3 is starting to show its age.. Now what they need to do is if they make Halo 4, they need to start from the ground up.. Use a whole new game engine or maybe even use the COD engine, that would be tight..But yea Resistance 2 is awesome, cant believe i forgot about that one. The other day I was playing Gears 2 and I went to play Halo 3 that same day and i was amazing how much its starting to age already in terms of just overall graphics and presentation  

They are all so different. Halo 3 is slow paced, COD4 is fast, GeOW 2 is third person, and I haven't played Resistance 2 but I'm assuming it plays differently.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.CODjon84

The new Halo and Resistance both could use new engines. Both games look good enough, but are a far cry from other games out there in the visual department. That doesn't make or break a game, though -- and that's why all 4 of the games I mentined are grade A shooter experiences, even if I may feel indifferent towards some of them. I still respect what's there.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Halo killers? Halo was killed way before it was released.

Their are much better FPS out their then Halo so really I don't see whats to kill.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Why do games need to be classified as Halo Killers? EPaul
Halo is the shooter by which all others are measured.
CODjon84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CODjon84

I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.BioShockOwnz

Oh i meant to ask you, do you play Motorstorm Pacific rift or have you played it online? thinking about buying it but wondering if the multiplayer is good 

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
[QUOTE="CODjon84"]

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.BioShockOwnz

The new Halo and Resistance both could use new engines. Both games look good enough, but are a far cry from other games out there in the visual department. That doesn't make or break a game, though -- and that's why all 4 of the games I mentined are grade A shooter experiences, even if I may feel indifferent towards some of them. I still respect what's there.

Halo 3 has bad graphics for a 360 game imo and Resistance 2 looks amazing.  Keep in mind better graphics in Resistance 2 would be impossible on PS3 since theres already 60 players online, tons of enemies on screen, all while maintaining 60fps.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="CODjon84"]

nVidiaGaMer

Halo 3 has bad graphics for a 360 game imo and Resistance 2 looks amazing. Keep in mind better graphics in Resistance 2 would be impossible on PS3 since theres already 60 players online, tons of enemies on screen, all while maintaining 60fps.

Both look rather unimpressive on their respective consoles. If R2 can receive a boost in online play, then atleast do it for SP.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Copied and pasted my thoughts :). But when it comes down to which one I play more due to lasting appeal, it's Gears and R2. Though I think CoD4 has the tightest shooting mechacs and best level design.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

Im just curious as to why people are still saying that it will be near impossible for Killzone 2 to be a "The Halo Killer" remember this isnt 2004 when Halo was the only top notch Multiplayer game on a console, I use to love Halo 3 but honestly after playing such great games like COD4 and Gears 2, I just cant look at Halo the same way I use to.. I mean Compared to Gears 2 Halo's weapons have a weak sound to them, gameplay is just slow and it doesnt even let you "Sprint" sure it has vehicles but all FPS should come standard with a sprint feature.

What im saying is, If all Killzone 2 needs to do is be a "Halo Killer" then i think it will easily acheive it this time around.. Now if people are saying Killzone 2 will be a Gears or COD4 killer, then well that is something that would actually be a real challenge, but in today's standards I dont think Halo 3 should be the default top game anymore especially compared to how great Gears 2 is..  

Oh and sales wise I believe COD4 has already outsold Halo 3 and with Gears 2 already selling 2.1 million copies then its well on its way to outselling Halo 3 

CODjon84

How about we just play COD4, Gears2 and Halo3 and call it a day. you guys think too much!

lets also be fair with the COD already outsold Halo 3 remark. Halo 3 has huge numbers on one system, while call of duty was on 3.  

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.Episode_Eve

Copied and pasted my thoughts :). But when it comes down to which one I play more due to lasting appeal, it's Gears and R2. Though I think CoD4 has the tightest shooting mechacs and best level design.

This.

CoD4 is much more fast paced than Halo, but in my opinion the Halo community - including dedicated Forgers and the Screenshot/video feature, makes me keep coming back to it. Haven't played R2 yet, but I expect it'll deliver on everything I expect of it in some way.

TheDismal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 TheDismal
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

CODjon84

Killzone 2 will never be the "Halo killer". Halo: Combat Evolved, the game that started it all, was hailed as one of the most excellent shooters ever - did Killzone? No. Did Call of Duty? No. In passing, yes, Gears of War 2 did extraordinarily well - it sold more than two million copies within three days, but Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies within 24 hours - Halo is deathless. Gears of War won't change it. Call of Duty won't change it. Killzone won't change it.          

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="CODjon84"]

TheDismal

Killzone 2 will never be the "Halo killer". Halo: Combat Evolved, the game that started it all, was hailed as one of the most excellent shooters ever - did Killzone? No. Did Call of Duty? No. In passing, yes, Gears of War 2 did extraordinarily well - it sold more than two million copies within three days, but Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies within 24 hours - Halo is deathless. Gears of War won't change it. Call of Duty won't change it. Killzone won't change it.          

Just because it sells more does not make it better then other shooters.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
[QUOTE="CODjon84"]

TheDismal

Thats funny you say that because its pretty obvious gears of war and cod4 both killed halo. Not saying they are better games or sold more but they stole halo's thunder thats for sure. Gears had halo's community before halo 3 released and then halo 3 came out and occupied that group and then cod4 came along and stole the show. You wouldnt believe how many halo players I know quit altogether for cod4 when it came out.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

Halo 3>Gears of War 2>Call of Duty 4 in the multiplayer department. I'm going by the competitive edge and room for tactical movements. Personally my favorite is backwards. That's because I'm not the most competitive individual. Call of Duty 4 is extremely noob friendly, I've had first timers get good enough to be owning in a matter of hours. Halo 3, that's not going to work.

wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

Those are not Halo killers...the Halo franchise is one of the most sucessful out there.

krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 krp008
Member since 2006 • 4341 Posts

COD4 is on 2 systems and Gears 2 sold 2 million copies in 2 weeks on one console, while Halo 3 sold 2 million copies in ONE NIGHT on one system...

Thats what happens when games reach their limits. Wait until Bungie releases their next IP, then games will try to be the "new Bungie IP" killer.

Gear's MP isnt as popular as Halo was, either. IMO Gears 2's MP sucks

krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 krp008
[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I thinks Gears 2, Resistance 2, COD4, and Halo 3 are all the cream of the crop when it comes to console shooters. I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are great.Kickinurass

This.

CoD4 is much more fast paced than Halo, but in my opinion the Halo community - including dedicated Forgers and the Screenshot/video feature, makes me keep coming back to it. Haven't played R2 yet, but I expect it'll deliver on everything I expect of it in some way.

Its because of Bungie, thats why Halo has such as amazing community. Bungie is the greatest developers when it comes to their fans. Constant playlist updates, and also the Mystic Map Pack releases with Halo Wars (i think). And BTW, Grif Ball is amazingly fun

FNKYMNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FNKYMNK
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts

Why does there even have to be a Halo kiler? Why does everyone have to argue about games being better then other games? I can understand console wars but "game wars" are just plain stupid. Everyone should just have fun playing different games and ripping on Nintendo because Miyamoto lost his mind.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts
[QUOTE="EPaul"]Why do games need to be classified as Halo Killers? Silverbond
Halo is the shooter by which all others are measured.

i thought that it was half life 1 & 2.. oh well silly me
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
halo 3 is still a great mp game the story was meh but the mp is still really good and i love the ranking system. it actually penalizes you for losing.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Halo 3>Gears of War 2>Call of Duty 4 in the multiplayer department. I'm going by the competitive edge and room for tactical movements. Personally my favorite is backwards. That's because I'm not the most competitive individual. Call of Duty 4 is extremely noob friendly, I've had first timers get good enough to be owning in a matter of hours. Halo 3, that's not going to work.

rolo107

Bungie: 'We have a lot to learn' from CoD4
Bungie: 'We have a lot to learn' from CoD4 screenshot

In news that might make my Podcastle co-host (and rampant Halo fanboy/CoD4 hater) Wardrox rip his lungs out in disgust, Halodeveloper Bungie has admitted that they could learn a thing or two from Infinity Ward's critically acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

We have a lot to learn from their success too, they did some very innovative things to keep people going and their experience-rewards system was something that we paid a lot of attention to... I think it's a great game and single player obviously is fantastic... They did a hell of a job with their set pieces, of scripting certain moments that they were really sure the player was going to actually see and experience first hand. The way that they use those moments to craft the player experience... Halo has a lot to learn from.

This is stuff I like to see -- a developer being gracious and humble enough to praise another team's work and admit that some aspects may even be superior. The likes of Itagaki have a lot to learn from Bungie, in that respect. Jolly good show.

krp008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 krp008
[QUOTE="rolo107"]

devious742

In news that might make my Podcastle co-host (and rampant Halo fanboy/CoD4 hater) Wardrox rip his lungs out in disgust, Halodeveloper Bungie has admitted that they could learn a thing or two from Infinity Ward's critically acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

We have a lot to learn from their success too, they did some very innovative things to keep people going and their experience-rewards system was something that we paid a lot of attention to... I think it's a great game and single player obviously is fantastic... They did a hell of a job with their set pieces, of scripting certain moments that they were really sure the player was going to actually see and experience first hand. The way that they use those moments to craft the player experience... Halo has a lot to learn from.

This is stuff I like to see -- a developer being gracious and humble enough to praise another team's work and admit that some aspects may even be superior. The likes of Itagaki have a lot to learn from Bungie, in that respect. Jolly good show.

If Bungie didnt exist, i dont think i would be gaming as i am today. I dont know why but Bungie gets me hyped each and every year to see what little info they will be sharing at E3 or whatever. They are just great imo

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
[QUOTE="rolo107"]

devious742

That says nothing about multiplayer other than their experience system, which is again aimed to be player friendly. It's not based on skill, whatsoever. 

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Halo has not been killed. Though Gears 2 > Halo 3 yeah.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

atm i still find HALO3 online to be better than Geow2, but probably cause am having some problems with Geow2 online (taking ages to get into a game etc).... but that might change!!

COD4's mp is simply amazing but right now am busy playing online both Geow2 (horde mode) & SOCOM ... shortly will get Resistance2 which has great mp too..

-General_Ram-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -General_Ram-
Member since 2008 • 998 Posts

the requirements of a Halo killer are:

1. fps

2. sell more then the highest selling Halo (Halo 3 now at 8.40 million).

3. sales must come from one console only

4. Out reviews Halo 3 (both COD4 and Gears 2 didnt)

COD 4 isnt a Halo killer because Halo 3 outsold the 360 COD4. Same with Gears 2.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDismal"][QUOTE="CODjon84"]

JangoWuzHere

Just because it sells more does not make it better then other shooters.

your right the score shows its better than other shooters out 9.5>90 Halo is the best shooter this gen

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts
Only Halo 4 could kill Halo 3. :P
division_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 division_9
Member since 2005 • 649 Posts
Halo sells better because its a bigger brand name. Ask someone what Gears of war is outside the gaming community and theyll be like Gears of Wii?, I might go and try it.