Gearbox has 'always profited from criticism' - Randy Pitchford (possibly fake)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Aliens getting slammed by critics, Randy Pitchford tells us he hasn't looked over reviews but Gearbox has "always profited from criticism"

Source: https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/301382292176257024

I work for the company. But don't let that fool you, I'm really an okay guy.

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts
Freaking Gearbox sucks so much.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I didn't think badly of Randy Pitchford until now, but if he doesn't publicly apologize about the demo thing he'll look like a huge douche.

It's a good thing I don't care about Borderlands or BIA.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Salt_The_Fries
I just realized it's bollocks. But nevermind, just join the fun :D
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries
Watch his speech from a week ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tpiWZDW62zM
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I didn't think badly of Randy Pitchford until now, but if he doesn't publicly apologize about the demo thing he'll look like a huge douche.

It's a good thing I don't care about Borderlands or BIA.

Cherokee_Jack
Pretty much this. I don't think I've ever lost so much respect for a developer in such a short period of time. It's not even that they made a bad game. It's that they outright lied to people about it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
he hasn't looked over the reviews my ass, they were already undergoing damage control within an hour or two of the 1AM PST review embargo lift, he went from making several Tweets a day to going silent... this is pretty pathetic
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cherokee_Jack

Watch his speech from a week ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tpiWZDW62zMSalt_The_Fries

That's kind of sinister in hindsight.

Interesting talk anyway.

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 SuperNovaftw
Member since 2013 • 2500 Posts
Freaking Gearbox sucks so much. Neon_Noir
They should have tested their game known it would suck they should have cancelled it. I dont understand how these devs make terrible games. First time is fine but second? Hell no.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I don't believe Gearbox as a whole deserves this criticism. Randy Pitchford alone deserves it pretty much.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cherokee_Jack

They should have tested their game known it would suck they should have cancelled it.SuperNovaftw

Yeah, after spending millions of dollars in funding from Sega over several years, they should have said "Yeah, a few of us were playing this game, and we decided it isn't good enough, so we're just gonna......not give you any return on your investment? Cool?"

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperNovaftw

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"][QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Freaking Gearbox sucks so much. Cherokee_Jack

They should have tested their game known it would suck they should have cancelled it.

Yeah, after spending millions of dollars in funding from Sega over several years, they should have said "Yeah, a few of us were playing this game, and we decided it isn't good enough, so we're just gonna......not give you any return on your investment? Cool?"

Better then selling somthing that wont even get any sales. Its as if they made the game the night before the deadline it sucks so bad. They should know it sucks and they should cancel and give the rest of the money to charity they dont deserve it. Dont try fvcking defending them unless you work for them.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cherokee_Jack

Better then selling somthing that wont even get any sales.SuperNovaftw

Yeah, getting zero money is sure better than getting not very much money.

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts
Pitchford scared of them pitchforks.
SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperNovaftw

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]Better then selling somthing that wont even get any sales.Cherokee_Jack

Those sales will be from hardcore fans and not knowledgeable average joes who think the game looks good. Better to get no sales then to scam people 60$
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]Better then selling somthing that wont even get any sales.SuperNovaftw

Those sales will be from hardcore fans and not knowledgeable average joes who think the game looks good. Better to get no sales then to scam people 60$

Its part of the buisness world.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="SuperNovaftw"]Better then selling somthing that wont even get any sales.SuperNovaftw

Yeah, Sega and Gearbox should have taken huge losses and probably fired a bunch of people to defend us from a game we might not like.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I just realized it's bollocks. But nevermind, just join the fun :DSalt_The_Fries

If it's fake then you should change the title to reflect that.

jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I read Gearbox didn't even develop the campaign, only the multiplayer, which I've heard is fun. I'm not saying that makes the false advertsing alright, but they're still quality developers as far as I can tell.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Well, Randy isn't wrong about what he said. When Gearbox made DNF, half of the sales were from diehard Duke fans who had to buy it no matter what. The other half was from gamers who wanted to check it out to see how bad it really was. It was almost akin to people buying 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' to see what the proclaimed worst movie of all time was like.

The thing is, when a game drastically falls short of expectation, and there is so much talk and controversy about it in the forums, people will just have to buy it and see for themselves. Admittedly, I bought RE6 just to see how bad it was. I am not an RE fan.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

he's made good games and hes made bad ones...nothing new. self confidence borders on narcisism but whatever...

mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

they'll be able to do a lot of profiting, then

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Freaking Gearbox sucks so much. SuperNovaftw
They should have tested their game known it would suck they should have cancelled it. I dont understand how these devs make terrible games. First time is fine but second? Hell no.

I don't think Gearbox could just cancel it, not after they've strung along Sega for all these years. They'd be pissed.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

not liking gearbox much lately but this doesn't seem too legit to me.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

I read Gearbox didn't even develop the campaign, only the multiplayer, which I've heard is fun. I'm not saying that makes the false advertsing alright, but they're still quality developers as far as I can tell.

jamejame
The problem from what i understood from that alleged former employee, was that gearbox originally worked on the title, until they became to occupied with Borderlands and DNF, at which point it was outsourced to timeline, who didn't like much of what gearbox had made in 2 years, and pretty much reworked everything. However when gearbox got the game back in their hands, they didn't like what Timeline had done, and basically started from scratch AGAIN. This is possibly also why the demo was so different from the actual game since the majority of the demo was what Timeline had done. Really shows how crap swapping developers back and forth is.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="jamejame"]

DoomZaW

The problem from what i understood from that alleged former employee, was that gearbox originally worked on the title, until they became to occupied with Borderlands and DNF, at which point it was outsourced to timeline, who didn't like much of what gearbox had made in 2 years, and pretty much reworked everything. However when gearbox got the game back in their hands, they didn't like what Timeline had done, and basically started from scratch AGAIN. This is possibly also why the demo was so different from the actual game since the majority of the demo was what Timeline had done. Really shows how crap swapping developers back and forth is.

If that's to be believed then the Timeline version looked like a better game by far.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"][QUOTE="jamejame"]

ReadingRainbow4

If that's to be believed then the Timeline version looked like a better game by far.

Found the article, sorry about mistaking developer name, it was Timegate (Section 8 developers)

True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

940cd4ab_Tx6e4Ik.gif.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#30 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
They should not have outsourced this game period
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

940cd4ab_Tx6e4Ik.gif.

True_Chaos_UK

Class

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Just received my copy last night and played for about three hours. IMO so far anyome that gave this game less that a 6 is a complete A hole!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

This is turning out really bad for them, they need to settle a few things and come out with a proper statement or apology about the whole thing so gamers nkow what the sh!t happened. What we were shown and what we got were incredibly different, almost disgustingly so

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

They should not have outsourced this game periodThe_Last_Ride

In the credits there was something like 6+ studios that worked on the game. Took over 20 mins to watch it... All those people... For this quality of game.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

This is turning out really bad for them, they need to settle a few things and come out with a proper statement or apology about the whole thing so gamers nkow what the sh!t happened. What we were shown and what we got were incredibly different, almost disgustingly so

seanmcloughlin
I agree, when a company is apathetic towards their fan base then it shows that they truly care. However the way they are going about everything shows that they don't.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I didn't think badly of Randy Pitchford until now, but if he doesn't publicly apologize about the demo thing he'll look like a huge douche..

Cherokee_Jack
This, I enjoyed BIA and Borderlands but after Aliens.. just wow. They clearly spent the money on Borderlands 2 making it a polished game yet Aliens looks worse than it did earlier, is riddled with bugs and Gearbox can't blame Timegate as Sega will then know Gearbox didn't actually spend the money building the game and will be in trouble. I had thought highly of Gearbox but after Aliens.. it makes me go back and doubt what they say about Duke Nukem. Maybe they had more to do with the end result than they let on seeing how bad Aliens turned out. That games do have a lot of similarities.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts
I'll wait to see if he has a statement, but it's not looking good for Gearbox.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

That game was made by Gearbox????? I had no idea until now.

When it comes to developers, they have always been the Good Guy Greg's to me and one of my faves.