Gaming isn't what it used to be?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

It's big business now and I guess Bobby Kotick can enjoy his large wallet. Thing is I have a ps4 and love it. It's everything i'd want in a console. It's fast. It's slick. It doesn't have all this unneeded stuff like the xbone. As a gaming platform it's really what I'd want. I know it's early but where are the games? I think this goes for both platforms too. The xbone doesnt have anything on it that has me excited. And it's not just the lack of them. It's the rehashing and the big budget marketing. I'm here playing killzone, nba 2k and madden. The same games i've played for the last 15 years. Don't STarve was pretty neat and new but it's still an expansion of the whole crafting genre. Still a cool and orignal take though. I find myself playing that more than anything.

Call of Duty, Halo. Even Watchdogs is just another open world GTA clone. I used to manage a babbages back in the day before it became gamestop and I remember all the different games and the amount of games. Sure you had genres like flight simulators and rpgs but there were a lot of just original ideas and games and takes on these genres. It wasn't developers just copying the other..

Why can't these developers with all that they have just make games fun again? It used to be a hobby for me I enjoyed and it's just not the same.

Every game i play it's like i've played this before. I know the argument can be made everything has been done but that is a weak excuse and I don't buy it. It's more these companies are just releasing the same crap over and over because it's money in their pockets. There is a lack of integrity and actual balls with some of these guys to take a chance on something new. Is that how it works the larger the wallet you have the smaller the balls?

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

TLDR...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Is there a serious lack of creativity in particular genres? Yeah.

Do handhelds and light PC gaming, having a plethora of genres and niche games not available on consoles help me find a way around that? Yes as well.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Celtic_34

@dobzilian said:

TLDR...

maybe you are just lazy and unaffected like most douchebags these days.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Celtic_34

@Blabadon said:

Is there a serious lack of creativity in particular genres? Yeah.

Do handhelds and light PC gaming, having a plethora of genres and niche games not available on consoles help me find a way around that? Yes as well.

Steam is pretty cool with all it's free to play stuff. I have found some more original games that way. Most of these games don't get the support though and have their flaws. When Team Fortress 2 is one of the biggest games there I still think steam is flawed though. A lot of the other stuff isn't worth playing. It just seems like there is a lot of big budget stuff and junk these days. There is very little in between. Every developer is trying to target some demographic and miss the mark. We have a farming simulator though. Finally!

Understand I go way back. When you had a ton of developers and games. Interplay,Westwood, Cinemaware, Sierra, LucasArts, Bard's tale. Deja VU. Ultima. Atari. Konami. It just seemed like there were a ton of games that weren't trying to be anything but that and all kind of hit that mark. Microsoft was making Flight Simulator and stayed out of it pretty much. Most of those developers are gone now and you have Microsoft running everything. It's backwards.

It's like they map out everything and when each game is going to be released at what time etc.. I remember looking at release date charts and you'd have like 10 games coming out on a certain date. Now it's like 1 or 2 every couple months.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dobzilian

@Celtic_34: Awwww little boy Celtic is having a cry, now now baby Celtic dont cry.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celtic_34

@dobzilian said:

@Celtic_34: Awwww little boy Celtic is having a cry, now now baby Celtic dont cry.

lol you are the one who was complaining. Go back to your cave liittle boy.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

Patches,DLC made developers to stop trying making games complete.This pisses me off.

Patches - excuse for developers to rush their product , **** even Naughty Dog abused this.They released TLOU with glitches and UC3 without a cutscene viewer wtf. WB Montreal i dont even need to say anything to them,lazy ass devs. Quality Assurance doesnt exist anymore.I'm freaking happy Sony/MS charge for patches. I just hope they punish the big corporations more (ND,WB) rather than smaller ones (Mojang)

DLC - It was fine at first,Developers were not sure how to use this,Horse armour was the prime example.Then started coming INCOMPLETE games,that needed DLC for whatever blipping reasons.Then came DAY ONE DLC ,then came PRE ORDER DLC. And then came the worst of all, Season Tickets. It's disgusting to even write about this.

Gaming and Online is a mixed marriage,there are many many positives,but so many negatives and Corporation greed tactics that do indeed paint a sad picture.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

To me gaming hasn't changed much since I was a kid except for online play replacing local multiplayer and less unlockables in games. Sure technology is better but videogames are simply just videogames to me or in other words, videogames are as fun as they ever have been in my eyes. I think it will help anyone enjoy videogames more if they focus more on the good things about the games they play rather than getting hung up on things they don't like. For the first time in my life I actually can't get through all the games I have thanks to PS+, some games I have aren't that great while some I have I played hundreds of hours like Borderlands 2. I also just tried out the FFXIII-3 demo and that boss fight at the end was amazing! So I think if someone isn't having fun with the games they play maybe its not really the games that have changed but the person themselves. Just something to think about.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

As someone who's gamed since the atari 2600...gen 7 was my favorite by far.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

I get what you mean tc, most games nowadays have that feeling of been there done that, very predictable, we need more Japanese developed games, Japanese developers always comes up with some new and fresh gameplay

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dobzilian

@Celtic_34: delusional aswell as cry baby. You created a topic where all you are doing is sulking and then bitch at people who cant be bothered to read the crap that you come out with. This whole topic stinks of Fan boyish BS and frkm the get go of the topic its quite obvious to see with you praising sony and bitching about MS. Simple and short answer is "You are a ¥*!?ing retard"

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Celtic_34

demon's souls was new and fresh imo although they kind of overdid it with the difficulty. They needed that marketing hook. I agree though japanese developers still seem to have that oldschool factor to them though. AC when they made it like a pirate game was pretty cool imo too. Kind of oldschool. AC black flag I enjoyed quite a bit although the game is huge. I miss defender of the crown lol. Pirates was a great game too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its not just Games, The Gaming Audience has changed too...... For the worse.

It seems like Console gamers have also begin to favour playing online instead of people within close Proximity.

And whats with PC Gamers wanting things to be more convenient ? Thats what consoles are for, the whole point of having a PC is to Customize and mod The Living shit out of it, it was an Anorak's wet dream. Lately people just aren't that interested in that anymore, more convenience means less Options.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Celtic_34

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Its not just Games, The Gaming Audience has changed too...... For the worse.

It seems like Console gamers have also begin to favour playing online instead of people within close Proximity.

And whats with PC Gamers wanting things to be more convenient ? Thats what consoles are for, the whole point of having a PC is to Customize and mod The Living shit out of it, it was an Anorak's wet dream. Lately people just aren't that interested in that anymore, more convenience means less Options.

I agree with that. I remember playing dungeon master and eye of the beholder on the amiga. I basically managed a babbages all through highschool and college which led from the commodore 64 to the playstation 2 if i'm not mistaken. 10 years of gaming goodness lol. From when i was 14 to mid 20's. We could take out games for free too. IT was just different. The audience was different. It was more a hobby and games were geared towards adults I felt like. It was a kids thing but the games were just not really geared at being too kiddy. The writing and sense of humor in games like the sierra games and lucasarts games was also hysterical. Monkey island etc.. The last 2 gens have been more geared towards a different audience imo. I think it really started wth last gen where they started killing off all the old. Maybe I just got older but i don't think that's fully it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

gaming is as good as it ever was(and maybe even better) the problem here is people change over time.

of course gaming won't have the call over you that it did a decade ago.

you are a decade older with different concerns and priorities.

you should be more worried if gaming meant the exact same thing to you now as it did then.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Blog this crap. Short answer tho, get a gaming PC

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@ Celtic_34

Nope. Theres definately a change, and I would change with it, if it wasn't so crappy on the otherside.

I'm not looking foward to "Pay To Win" Pre-Launch DLC, death of Local Multiplayer, Same Controller, etc.

I'm gona get the Wii U. The company people accuse of being behind just so happens to be the copany that has been completely different across three consecutive generations, with Backwards Compatibilty to boot.

And on the PC, Theres still Mods and Pirates out there working hard against the scorge of DLC and DRM.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Gamings always been about money and it's better than ever. You just aren't 5 years old anymore, hence less "magical".

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By XboxDone74

@Rage010101: why would he want to constantly beg for console game ports? :-/

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

You can't expect so much from consoles that have only been out for a couple of months.

And if you only have a ps4, your selection will obviously be limited. PC and handhelds are where you'll find most creative freedom and niche genres.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Get a PC, 3DS, and maybe a Wii U at some point.

That should solve your problems, TC.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Nothing remains the same over time.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rage010101

@xboxdone74 said:

Ah, another jelly cow that PC has more higher rated games than all the consoles combined. The PC God Race never settles, we always want more. Not our fault you scrubs always just settle for the scraps.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The gaming business will always be about money, nothing will change that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

If you know it is early, then why are you asking for the video games? As I understand the PlayStation 3 was considered to of had a terrible line up of video games at launch and for a long while after that. There are video games coming out, it just a matter of if the person is willing to give the video games a chance or not; usually people probably won't and they will just have to wait it out. Many saw the trailer for Basement Crawl for example, thinking it was going to be some other type of video game, even though were have enough of those type of video games coming out this year; it ended up being a Bomberman type video game instead and I wanted to get Basement Crawl, but due to people not liking what type of video game it is, I will sadly have to probably not purchase it ever, as I will have to rely heavily on the on-line multi-player in order to play it. Basement Crawl will most likely come out for the PlayStation 4 on January 28th for the United States, so check it out if you are interested, you probably are not.

To me, the problem you are describing is something that started last generation. I feel things were better for the sixth generation. If you do not like many of the type of video games coming out, then why did you purchase a PlayStation 4? There are many video games I want for PlayStation 4, but all of these video games I want are not out yet, but I am also willing to keep an open mind and purchase and play video games that I know others would not.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think gaming is better than ever. There's a bigger price range, so everyone can game according to their budget. There's a greater diversity of experiences. Mechanics generally feel much better than they used to. Production values have increased exponentially in quality. More games allow you to play the way you want. A lot less exclusives, meaning most games can be enjoyed by everyone.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@ SEANMCAD

Hell Yeah !

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XboxDone74

@Rage010101 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Ah, another jelly cow that PC has more higher rated games than all the consoles combined. The PC God Race never settles, we always want more. Not our fault you scrubs always just settle for the scraps.

Never settles, i agree. PC Panhandlers always beggin'. No goty exclusive.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/13/dark-souls-pc-petition-at-nearly-70000-signatures-namco-listening/

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/release-destiny-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/rock-star-games-bring-red-dead-redemption-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-release-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-we-want-the-last-of-us-to-come-to-pc

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

It's big business now and I guess Bobby Kotick can enjoy his large wallet. Thing is I have a ps4 and love it. It's everything i'd want in a console. It's fast. It's slick. It doesn't have all this unneeded stuff like the xbone. As a gaming platform it's really what I'd want. I know it's early but where are the games? I think this goes for both platforms too. The xbone doesnt have anything on it that has me excited. And it's not just the lack of them. It's the rehashing and the big budget marketing. I'm here playing killzone, nba 2k and madden. The same games i've played for the last 15 years. Don't STarve was pretty neat and new but it's still an expansion of the whole crafting genre. Still a cool and orignal take though. I find myself playing that more than anything.

Call of Duty, Halo. Even Watchdogs is just another open world GTA clone. I used to manage a babbages back in the day before it became gamestop and I remember all the different games and the amount of games. Sure you had genres like flight simulators and rpgs but there were a lot of just original ideas and games and takes on these genres. It wasn't developers just copying the other..

Why can't these developers with all that they have just make games fun again? It used to be a hobby for me I enjoyed and it's just not the same.

Every game i play it's like i've played this before. I know the argument can be made everything has been done but that is a weak excuse and I don't buy it. It's more these companies are just releasing the same crap over and over because it's money in their pockets. There is a lack of integrity and actual balls with some of these guys to take a chance on something new. Is that how it works the larger the wallet you have the smaller the balls?

The devs cant make the games industry what you have romanticized because of what the market demanded. The publishers and developers react to the market. People always clamor for better AI, better graphics, bigger game worlds. This costs more and more money. So the risk has to be lowered in order to try to make back at least some of what a game cost. It is the consumer who drove the industry into the place it is in. But judging by popularity of gaming, and sales, majority are having fun with games. Maybe you should try a different hobby now that gaming may not be to your liking.

Also, just curious, the unneeded stuff on the X1, did you feel that way about the "it only does everything" PS3?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm gaming (on the PC) pretty much like I used to from the 80's and 90's. Different genres, new stuff being tried out. If you stick with consoles only, it's usually the same rehashes.

As for petitions..... I don't recall ever petitioning any game, period and I've been gaming longer than the majority here.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

Patches,DLC made developers to stop trying making games complete.This pisses me off.

Patches - excuse for developers to rush their product , **** even Naughty Dog abused this.They released TLOU with glitches and UC3 without a cutscene viewer wtf. WB Montreal i dont even need to say anything to them,lazy ass devs. Quality Assurance doesnt exist anymore.I'm freaking happy Sony/MS charge for patches. I just hope they punish the big corporations more (ND,WB) rather than smaller ones (Mojang)

DLC - It was fine at first,Developers were not sure how to use this,Horse armour was the prime example.Then started coming INCOMPLETE games,that needed DLC for whatever blipping reasons.Then came DAY ONE DLC ,then came PRE ORDER DLC. And then came the worst of all, Season Tickets. It's disgusting to even write about this.

Gaming and Online is a mixed marriage,there are many many positives,but so many negatives and Corporation greed tactics that do indeed paint a sad picture.

I agree with you on patches.

Where is your proof that games are released incomplete? To me it looks like games come with more content than ever. I think Gears was the first game to have the season pass. Gears has tons of content out of the box. Sp, mp, bot mode and horde mode.

COD also has season ticket. COD was originally a short mp game with a basic mp component. Look at Ghosts. You get the sp, a full fledged mp component with many more modes than it used to have, then you also get squad and extinction mode. It's like 2 games in one package.

Most games come with more content than ever. You have games that were once sp only now adding mp and vice versa.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rage010101

@xboxdone74 said:

@Rage010101 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Never settles, i agree. PC Panhandlers always beggin'. No goty exclusive.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/13/dark-souls-pc-petition-at-nearly-70000-signatures-namco-listening/

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dragonsdogma-pc/

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/release-destiny-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/rock-star-games-bring-red-dead-redemption-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/konami-release-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-on-pc

http://www.change.org/petitions/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-we-want-the-last-of-us-to-come-to-pc

Again, we never settle. We are ambitious. On top of having more quality games as already is, we want it all! While you settle for scraps.

Avatar image for wg_mcfartypants
WG_McFartypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WG_McFartypants
Member since 2013 • 233 Posts

Gaming isn't what it used to be, because...... Game makers keep making the same games they used to?

Why can't they make something new that catches my interest? I hate the Xbone because they tried added new stuff that I don't want.

Is it any wonder game makers can't figure out what the consumer wants? You guys don't even know yourselves...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Games have definitely gotten easier over the past 10-15 years. AAA titles cost so much to make they have to sell a bajillion copies to turn a profit. This has led to "streamling" and games holding your hand like you're a small child.

Sad, really.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

OP needs to look at the indie scene, whats coming out of kickstarter and Nintendo games... those are for the most part where the more creative stuff is being made and games that have GAMEPLAY as the focus are found.

Ripsaw1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ripsaw1994
Member since 2013 • 196 Posts

Consolization for stupid audiences has hurt us all my friend

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

If you want fresher ideas, play indie games.

Otherwise gaming is just going through the same thing other mediums tend to go through. The bigger the budget, the safer the game idea is going to be.

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

@ripsaw1994: Console games were never as complex as your average PC game, but they used to be harder and didn't hold your hand. The audience changed A LOT during this generation.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If your world is only as small as Sony and MS then yes you're stuck with a rather generic and uninspiring library filled with nasty business practices, lies about game content and hardware performance, full price f2p games, long load times, online dependence and weird restrictions, caveats and obligations, high pricing and not much to look forward to, especially on the MS side. Sony's only big issues are being closed, game pricing and no exclusives.
Don't get the platform that mostly the uninformed people get, because it's bound to get gang banged by corporate thugs. Times a changin. We're dealing with crooks these days.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Yes let's go back to CGA shareware titles that all played the same but with different colors and like 4 different sprites, and then searching through until we find the most responsive one.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It's changed. There does seem to be a larger focus on the bottom line, but that could be due to the ease of access to the internet... Obviously businesses were always businesses, but many seem to play the safe bet now more than ever.

My experience is more with the early-mid 90's gaming to current.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I hear you man, PSX will always be my favorite era. I'm pretty happy to have grown up right when things got real good.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Gaming is better than it used to be.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm sure the PS4 will end up having a lot of great games that nobody plays like the PS3 has, but it doesn't have many at all right now. You can get a huge variety of games with the PC, Vita, and 3DS. The Wii U is the only console with a lot of good games in this current gen. You just need to read gaming sites, knowing the type of game you like, if you want to find the games, though. The market is completely flooded with casuals who buy the same games every year, so don't expect to see most of the good games heavily advertised. More 3D Assassin's Creed games have been made than 3D Zelda games. That's just crazy.