Gaming going to decline in revenue according to study

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

Looks like gaming is going to decline by 2019. We'll just have to wait and see i guess.

According to a new study from Juniper Research, revenue from PC and console game markets is set to decline from $46.5 billion to $41 billion by 2019.

However, even with the decline, PC and console gaming will still account for more than 50 percent of revenue in the industry for the next five years. Global revenues from software sales on both the PC and console platforms will remain relatively healthy, with PC games software sales exceeding sales on the console platform.

The study also predicts that handheld devices will continue to struggle in attracting gamers, and revenues from this platform will shrink to under 2% of the total games industry sales by 2018.

You can read the full report here.

Link

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (8927 posts) -

This would not have tracked digital sales.

#3 Posted by Roler42 (767 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: a lot of these sites rarely track digital sales, wich is understandable when companies like valve don't even release their sales figures, but at the same time, these "studies" shouldn't really pretend digital sales don't exist (just like how a report last year claimed windows computer sales were on decline while ignoring the fact more people are opting for custom builds)

#4 Posted by TheEroica (13695 posts) -

I'd love to see a return to a more sustainable model where game devs focus on augmenting game design while steering away from huge budgets, "sell 5 million or your fired", bland, copycat games like we get now aday. They can avoid a lot of headaches if they stick to focusing on bring something new and fresh... in 2019 I doubt people will entertain paying 60+ dollars on a game they've played a zillion times. Bring something fresh or gtfo

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

This would not have tracked digital sales.

yeah they need to do that

#6 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

only 41 billion? but but how will we feed the children?

#7 Posted by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I'd love to see a return to a more sustainable model where game devs focus on augmenting game design while steering away from huge budgets, "sell 5 million or your fired", bland, copycat games like we get now aday. They can avoid a lot of headaches if they stick to focusing on bring something new and fresh... in 2019 I doubt people will entertain paying 60+ dollars on a game they've played a zillion times. Bring something fresh or gtfo

Couldn't agree more.

#8 Posted by PapaTrop (1309 posts) -

As long as PC gaming maintains what it's doing then I'm okay.

Gaming wouldn't change much for me if things like tablet/phone apps, shallow big-budget games, or mmo/moba clones were gone which I assume will be the most greatly affected by expansion of the industry (we already see many devs close their doors when big-budget games fail to sell).

#9 Posted by lglz1337 (3854 posts) -

ònly sony can save us now

#10 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3833 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Investors saw a potential market and imposed the Hollywood Business Model on the industry. Hopefully, they're starting to realize that it does'nt work ;)

Games don't need expensive, well known voice actors; they need compelling gameplay and good production values.

#11 Posted by Shewgenja (9614 posts) -

*Does the Oculus Rift Dance and leaves thread*

#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27866 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Shut yer mouth and play the next FIFA/Madden/CoD/BF/MetalGear/Halo/Mario/Forza/AC/Uncharted/etc game or there'll trouble mister ...

#13 Edited by Gue1 (10192 posts) -

but why exactly is going to decline? Based on what?

Because of loss of interest? Because the economy's gonna get worse like the great depression? I don't want to read... But hasn't gaming only grown bigger with each generation?

#14 Edited by Motokid6 (5704 posts) -

Is there a known reason as to why digital sales figures aren't released?

#15 Edited by wis3boi (31462 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

Shut yer mouth and play the next FIFA/Madden/CoD/BF/MetalGear/Halo/Mario/Forza/AC/Uncharted/etc game or there'll trouble mister ...

I havent bought my season pass and my Mt Dew yet :S

#16 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

This is like the 4th report this year showing PC sales above consoles (all systems), awesome.

#17 Posted by RossRichard (2393 posts) -

If they keep with the focus on DLC and microtransactions, the market will likely shrink a lot more than that by 2019.

#18 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

but why exactly is going to decline? Based on what?

Because of loss of interest? Because the economy's gonna get worse like the great depression? I don't want to read... But hasn't gaming only grown bigger with each generation?

This. Most gamers who are getting married and having kids will continue gaming albeit less and then you have all the new kids so it should continue growing. Most non gamers are the 50+ crowd. These are the people who were kids when video games were garbage and never really got into it.

Eventually everyone will have grown up in a video gaming culture and then you'll have a much larger percentage of older gamers. Soon we'll start seeing retirees video gaming more than kids do.

#19 Edited by nutcrackr (12632 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Early Access is just that model. You create an alpha product and then get a steady stream of sales until people get bored and move to another unfinished game

#20 Posted by WallofTruth (1745 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

I'm not sure how MetalGear fits into that category. MGS V actually seems fresh and new IMO.