GameStop-"Why buy new?"

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46187 Posts

Good for you, if the salesman kept harassing you with that question so they can earn more monies than you are right to leave and go to a better store.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I can't remember the last time I stepped into a gamestop.

Mine was last night lol, bought MGRR. The girl over there was kinda cute.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

@lostrib: agreed, plus amazon new prices are less than gamestops used prices. Stopped supporting them many years ago.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

@jsmoke03: I agree but also can't ignore the fact that at the end of the day, a sale has to be done, today, in order to go against other store's sales numbers. So by brushing me off to wait a week, he didn't only promote the near by Best Buy, he lost a sale. Personally speaking, I'm done with them, wish I could sell my points to someone.

well he wasnt being smart about it at all. i know when i was working at gamestop i was really asked to push things and upsell everything even though i knew the new game was a lower price. i was actually warned by my manager that if they give me a used box i should sell them used despite the new game was on sale for lower.

that is the culture when you make a living on one type of service. i love bestbuy because they dont have to convince me to purchase a used copy of some game because they make their money in their other departments. only problem is, their used games are actually a bit more expensive than gamestop

amazon is awesome and i love their new games costing really cheap. only problem is that i have to buy in bulk because of the shipping and im not sure if prime is worth the now $100 price tag just to ship.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

I like how people act like video games are different than movies or music.

You should be able to try before you buy to know if you really want to support the brand.

The lack of demos releasing for games is also helping create piracy because people want to try before they buy.

lol heewee,bandodging again?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Like it or not DD and/or DRM for physical copies is coming for future consoles.

The writing's been on the wall for a few years now. Sony bowed down and gave into consumer demand because they really didn't have a choice, while MS really should have stuck to its guns (even though the X1 is admittedly a POS). I have a strong feeling the next console gen will be very different.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Boddicker said:

The writing's been on the wall for a few years now. Sony bowed down and gave into consumer demand because they really didn't have a choice, while MS really should have stuck to its guns (even though the X1 is admittedly a POS). I have a strong feeling the next console gen will be very different.

I can only imagine how poorly the Xbone would be doing right now had Microsoft stuck to their guns.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44540 Posts

I hate GameStop employee when I hear customers ask why they don't have new copies of games, I always hear them claim the games are no longer in production. Which is a blatant lie. They don't stop getting new copies of games because publishers stop producing and distributing them, they stop carrying them to exclusively sell used copies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#59 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@SolidTy said:

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

Walked in this morning to pick my standard copy of Second Son when the rep.....EDGAR.....kept asking me "are you suuuuuure you don't wanna hold out a week and get it used? After all, you ARE a Power Up member." He must have asked me at least four times until I turned around and walked over to the Best Buy across the road. Are they receiving commission??!!!

That's sales rep is an idiot, he has a customer in his store and he's asking him to leave and come back (taking the chance the guy will go to another store entirely)....some of these stores hire fanboys and morons. Next time I went in I would ask that kid Edgar some questions and figure out why he was keen on that really stupid idea. Clearly he doesn't understand retail. You don't sent customers out the door. Perhaps he doesn't value his job.

The obvious thing is used sales, but that isn't what I think he was doing. They aren't trained to send customers out the door until next week, this was an initiative started for some other reason.

Please, do elaborate.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Boddicker

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Boddicker said:

I can only imagine how poorly the Xbone would be doing right now had Microsoft stuck to their guns.

It probably would have got alot more exclusives.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I hate GameStop employee when I hear customers ask why they don't have new copies of games, I always hear them claim the games are no longer in production. Which is a blatant lie. They don't stop getting new copies of games because publishers stop producing and distributing them, they stop carrying them to exclusively sell used copies.

It all depends on the game and how well it sells, then of course after time any store will stop selling a product once it generates little to no revenue.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

I can't stand the Gamestop million questions....one NO should be plenty. I take all my business to Best Buy or digitally.

Luckily i've been going to my store long enough where they know I don't put up with that shit.

I've been going to my Gamestop long enough where most of the employees there know my name. lol!! I used to get a lot of free swag from the managers when I worked in the business. Probably because I'd bring back stuff for them from E3, CES and SDCC shows. Only thing I don't really like about GS is their trade in crap and how they accept used games even when they are scratched to hell.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidTy said:

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

Walked in this morning to pick my standard copy of Second Son when the rep.....EDGAR.....kept asking me "are you suuuuuure you don't wanna hold out a week and get it used? After all, you ARE a Power Up member." He must have asked me at least four times until I turned around and walked over to the Best Buy across the road. Are they receiving commission??!!!

That's sales rep is an idiot, he has a customer in his store and he's asking him to leave and come back (taking the chance the guy will go to another store entirely)....some of these stores hire fanboys and morons. Next time I went in I would ask that kid Edgar some questions and figure out why he was keen on that really stupid idea. Clearly he doesn't understand retail. You don't sent customers out the door. Perhaps he doesn't value his job.

The obvious thing is used sales, but that isn't what I think he was doing. They aren't trained to send customers out the door until next week, this was an initiative started for some other reason.

Please, do elaborate.

I can not comply, with respect, due to other issues.

However, if this story is even true, that employee is a paid moron. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, I think every week I witness in RL some truly nonsensical actions performed by employees of various companies while eating lunch, driving, or shopping.

It's a non-stop depressing roller-coaster ride as I notice these events faster and faster as I age.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#64  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidTy said:

@HoVDaHuSTLa1 said:

Please, do elaborate.

However, if this story is even true, that employee is a paid moron. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, I think every week I see morons when I eat lunch or shop retail.

Maybe the employee is just sticking to Gamestop's overriding creed? Which is to sell used games due to the obscene profit margins on them? Gamestop emphasizes that over everything else, so this story makes sense.

I am not quite sure what you were driving at with the implication in your original post, though- it sounded like you were implying that Gamestop was deliberately trying to prevent the sale of inFamous: Second Son in this situation; judged in conjunction with your comment about 'fanboys' and the comment about 'this was an initiative started for some other reason,' I get the feeling that they were trying to prevent the sale of inFamous: Second Son, a PS4 exclusive, for some reason.

In which case, even putting aside the sheer hilarity and conspiracy-nuttiness of the theory, I much ask... why would they even do that? They get money the same from every new game sale.

If this is not what you were driving towards with your original ppost, my apologies, and you can ignore my question raised in response to said theory.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Just tell them no. It's not really that big of a deal. People these days are really up tight.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PurpleMan5000

@Boddicker said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Boddicker said:

That's very doubtful. Every game on the system would also be selling far worse than they are right now.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Because 'used' is sold for $5 less from these turds, what a fking amazing saving heh?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SolidTy

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidTy said:

Please, do elaborate.

However, if this story is even true, that employee is a paid moron. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true, I think every week I witness in RL some truly nonsensical actions performed by employees of various companies while eating lunch, driving, or shopping.

It's a non-stop depressing roller-coaster ride as I notice these events faster and faster as I age.

Maybe the employee is just sticking to Gamestop's overriding creed? Which is to sell used games due to the obscene profit margins on them? Gamestop emphasizes that over everything else, so this story makes sense.

I am not quite sure what you were driving at with the implication in your original post, though- it sounded like you were implying that Gamestop was deliberately trying to prevent the sale of inFamous: Second Son in this situation; judged in conjunction with your comment about 'fanboys' and the comment about 'this was an initiative started for some other reason,' I get the feeling that they were trying to prevent the sale of inFamous: Second Son, a PS4 exclusive, for some reason.

In which case, even putting aside the sheer hilarity and conspiracy-nuttiness of the theory, I much ask... why would they even do that? They get money the same from every new game sale.

If this is not what you were driving towards with your original ppost, my apologies, and you can ignore my question raised in response to said theory.

I understand you made an assumption on what I was driving at and no that's not what I meant, but I can't go into that any further as I said already. If I told you a story, it would be just that. A tale on the internet. No proof. It would be trolled and ridiculed and pointless. No point in bothering, and certainly I don't want to reveal anything personal on my end. However, I'll just say that things like this story are not mandated by the company at all in any shape or form. It's basic retail rules. I'll explain:

It's a terrifying prospect to close a store down because you have employees that are actively sending money out the door in hopes they would return. The general assumption of retail is they don't return for that sale, they just go somewhere else that day. You don't let money walk out the door. You have your overall profit/losses to consider, payroll, et cetera. Assuming this employee has been doing this for awhile, he may be cutting into his own paycheck in the form of less hours as sales decline. In fact, the company already had to close down hundreds of stores from their rapid expansion a few years back. Some stores flounder as other GS stores in the very same territory (a few miles down the road) do exceptional. If a GS has the used product on hand, hell yeah they will try and sell it, but if they don't, they the idea is keep the sale but add on anything if possible, or just settle for the sale. This is basic retail to keep your store afloat until the holidays.

However, paid employees should not send people out the door in hopes they will return later. You have to capitalize on the product, any product, while it's hot and people want it. Next week, some other game will be hot. Unfortunately, Gamestop does hire fanboys and idiot kids, which may or may not be related to this blunder. There are many other variables at work as well (employee may hate his boss or job, etc), again though, without more information is all just speculation. There is sadly, inter-store politics some times in play. We could be looking at a borrowed employee from one store doing his best to sabotage a neighboring store, it's really hard to say, but yes that sadly does happen (more than at just GS). Some customers learn to hate one Gamestop only to enjoy another. Gamestop isn't alone in this, and yes, it's strange but it comes down to the in-store experience at retail. The policies are universal, but the execution varies depending on staff. Gamestop would be lucky if that burned consumer just went to another Gamestop. That store would suffer a lost consumer and hundreds of dollars a year per burned consumer but the other Gamestop could do well and capitalize on this event...that's the best case scenario for Gamestop. More likely, people like this find other businesses to shop at.

What I can tell you without speculation is Gamestop would frown on this event. Companies like Best Buy are getting into the used game business, and customer retention is incredibly vital. Keeping that customer loyal means hundreds of dollars a year (potentially thousands depending, per happy customer), not to mention possible future sales per loyal consumer, pre orders, subscriptions, and definitely future used sales on other games. They will sell plenty of used copies of Infamous 3 as well as other games in the future, but if you don't have the product, you sell what you do have and what the consumer wants.

Gamestop also tracks their big releases all year, so this employee is only screwing over his stores ranking on one of the titles.

Pushing a consumer out the door is risking that customer loyalty to another retail business recognizing an opportunity with this disgruntled consumer. You treat them well, they come back. This employee either forgot the basics of retail, didn't know the basics, or is doing something else. The long term effect of actions like these on a grander scale is the store closes and the employee loses his job, only to work perhaps ironically at another retailer that will train him correctly. Who knows, this poor employee may not be the only reckless employee, this store could have a team of idiots. The management team failed this employee not training him retail basics or this employee has his own/different agenda than what Gamestop set out to do.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

lol i clicked on the thread when it said 420 views.

Ya buying a game from gamestop is more enjoyable than walmart and you can walk directly into the game section lol faster and you dont need someone to unlock game for you then find a register.

overall buying a game at gamestop is faster than walmart or bestbuy.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By steamistrash

You can use gamestop used games are a rental service lol because they will give you full money back in your hand with used game return.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

This is why I love digital downloads.

What's mine is mine and will always be mine.

Until the service goes down. You own the license and not the actual game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SolidTy

@Gaming-Planet said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

That's right...it's all depending on that service.

And he can't sell his Digital Download, he can't loan out his Digital Download to family or friends, or trade his DD game with friends for other games. So much for loving Digital downloads. It's true, some changes are in the works for some issues, but not all, like selling my copy of a DD game it turns out I didn't like that much.

When compared to physical non-DRM retail copies of the same price, DD sucks.

People justify it in extreme ways as seen above, but ultimately it's just convenient to DL copies, it's not better for the consumer.

This is coming from me, a consumer who owns probably nearly 1000 pieces of paid for digital content. Thankfully, I go into a DD purchase with all of this in mind and pay pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, I see others pay full retail price (despite the money saved on no disk, shipping, case, manual, etc), and companies see this too, which is why they continue to exploit consumers and tie them down to a digital service if they can.

Another example is Capcom, Activision, and others lost the Marvel license back to Disney. They had to pull the digital copies of MvC3, MvC2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Deadpool, MvC Origins, and other games along with other Marvel games. If you are DD only customer, that means you can't buy any of those games now, no matter how bad you want to.

The games that made it to retail however, you can track down used when they sell out of the new copies. Just another of the myriad advantages retail physical copies have over digital. Digital may be the future, but from a consumer standpoint, it's not a beneficial future. It only puts more money in the pockets of companies.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

About two years ago, I tried to work at gamestop, but before i put in a application, I looked up the reviews for working there. You have to annoy the customer to buy products, or sign up for this or that, its your job. A lot of stores do this, the part that sucks is it pisses off the customer which means they wont shop there and the worker gets cut in hours or the job if he isn't selling enough. I also hear working at gamestop will make you hate video games from numerous sources. I skipped it and any other job that forces you to annoy the customer and will penalize you if you don't sell enough.

Also, I don't bother with gamestop because I never felt like I was getting a good deal. Back in the day, maybe, but now, no..I find better deals online or regular retail. I also never liked the fact that a new game was already opened at gamestop, I wasnt sure if it was really new or used and the used price is no bargain. i expect a used price to be way less than a new copy.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Everything has their downsides.

Someone steal your games, you could break the disc, or you could sell it and regret doing so. At least one of those things has/will happen to everyone.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 vl4d_l3nin

@SolidTy said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

no shit.

I wouldn't buy DD if it wasn't for price difference.

to each his own.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#77 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i guess its also piracy to buy a 20 year old car ?

or how about any thing and everything you buy from garage sells , i mean why go to garage sales if you think buying used games hurt the industry, . what about your used proctor selix coffe maker or your used black and decker drill, huh lets start bitching about everything used if you wanna go there, or that out of production plymouth fury everyone dreams about hahahah

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@Gargus said:

Besides how much new stuff do they sell that's actually new? I remember wanting to buy a psp game so I went to the counter and the guy went and got the display box off the wall that was bleached out from sitting in the sun, had stickers UNDER the plastic on the box artwork, stickers stuck on the back of the box, a crack, dusty and covered in god knows what from being handled for years. He put a sticker on it to "seal" it and sold it as a new product. I asked him about it and he said "If the game disc has never been inserted into a console then its still brand new because it hasn't been played regardless of the packaging. That's gamestop policy. Besides dude its just the box the game is fine". I didn't buy it.

This... I hate this. They have tried to do this so many times to me. Even with games that just released a few days prior. I usually ask them for a sealed copy and if they don't have one I just go buy it somewhere else.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SolidTy

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@SolidTy said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

That's right...it's all depending on that service.

And he can't sell his Digital Download, he can't loan out his Digital Download to family or friends, or trade his DD game with friends for other games. So much for loving Digital downloads. It's true, some changes are in the works for some issues, but not all, like selling my copy of a DD game it turns out I didn't like that much.

People justify it in extreme ways as seen above, but ultimately it's just convenient to DL copies, it's not better for the consumer.

This is coming from me, a consumer who owns probably nearly 1000 pieces of paid for digital content. Thankfully, I go into a DD purchase with all of this in mind and pay pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, I see others pay full retail price (despite the money saved on no disk, shipping, case, manual, etc), and companies see this too, which is why they continue to exploit consumers and tie them down to a digital service if they can.

Another example is Capcom, Activision, and others lost the Marvel license back to Disney. They had to pull the digital copies of MvC3, MvC2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Deadpool, MvC Origins, and other games along with other Marvel games. If you are DD only customer, that means you can't buy any of those games now, no matter how bad you want to.

The games that made it to retail however, you can track down used when they sell out of the new copies. Just another of the myriad advantages retail physical copies have over digital. Digital may be the future, but from a consumer standpoint, it's not a beneficial future. It only puts more money in the pockets of companies.

no shit.

I wouldn't buy DD if it wasn't for price difference.

to each his own.

You say no shit, but you also stated your initial reason for loving DD was because, and I quote:

"This is why I love digital downloads.

What's mine is mine and will always be mine."

It doesn't look like money was a variable. The only thing you said was your love was based on your ownership. Your newer post above is not worthy of your emotional response because I'm not a mind reader and I don't know what you know, only what you typed.

It reads that you love DD because you value the ownership (albeit it incredibly limited). Price was never mentioned.

Also, it's not 'no shit', because I've been here since 2005, and people defend DD all the time without realizing the full ramifications of what DD full priced support entails. People buy full priced DD downloads and some of them here in SW have justified it because "they got deals on Steam in the past, they can spend a few bucks this time around for a DD copy of XYZ". Some people buy DD and don't really realize the differences until later. I see this in teenagers I have met online and in RL all the time. The differences are not a huge issue when mommy and daddy are fronting the costs for many games for some of these people as well. Yes, the price difference for savvy shoppers is a no brainer to me and others, but if you read your above statement I wouldn't say it's 'no shit' would have applied to your original statement. It's only now upon your elaboration that you point out how you really felt about DD.

"I wouldn't buy DD if it wasn't for price difference."

That second response changes your entire point. You loved DD for ownership, but also for good prices. I posted about the limitations of DD ownership as did another user, but at least I know now you only buy DD games due to price differences.

Hmmm....it's a good thing you were quoted by other users or we would have been mislead into believing your first and only post in this thread. I should at this time point out that there are massive price differences found at retail physical copies as well. You can literally pay less than $5-$20 for new copies of RETAIL physical games if over time. DD didn't create price differences. Retail gets a lot of discounts because of overstock, a problem that doesn't happen with DD.

You are right, to each their own. I agree. People can buy what they want. However, you chose to bring up the Digital downloads in a topic about Gamestop new vs. used. You said the reason to love DD was because of ownership.

When you invite discussion, especially a flawed premise as your first statement, be prepared for responses that attempt to point out what is obvious to some, and not so obvious to others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#80 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Digital downloads will always be yours? you sure? I wouldnt be so sure about that...

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/64193-order-war-first-game-erased-steam-user-libraries/

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SolidTy

@Vatusus said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Digital downloads will always be yours? you sure? I wouldnt be so sure about that...

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/64193-order-war-first-game-erased-steam-user-libraries/

That deserves to linkified.

I'll also throw in some quotes from the article.

Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

"Earlier this year, for the first time, Steam removed a game from user libraries"

"Previously games have disappeared from the Steam Store, no longer available but Order of War: Challenge is apparently the first game to be 'wiped from history' in this way, as if it never existed, or was never purchased."

"...The game was removed from all user libraries. As mentioned in the intro the game's main thrust was of multi-player online combat which required the servers but it also did contain 18 single-player missions."

"The story of the removal of Order of War: Challenge really does bring home the feeling of uncertainty about buying digital goods and ownership. Forbes reminds us that as part of Steam's TOS we consumers don't really own the games but they are leased to us. It is within Valve's rights to remove games"

"Companies want you to respect their property just like it was a TV or a car but on the other hand this kind of removal of your goods would never happen for a fully paid up purchase in the real world."

In the last year I have really boosted my collection of games on Steam, due to some attractive sales and bundles. After reading the Forbes article I'm wondering what would be left in my library, if left untouched, in 10 years time. Would it contain just the DRM free Humble Bundle type games I have?"

----

Thanks for posting Vatusus, because this removal of a Steam game from user's libraries reveals a new precedent with DD games people don't always consider. :)

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PurpleMan5000

To be fair, that game had always-online DRM and the servers were shut down, so any disk copy you purchased at the store would not work, either.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@steamistrash said:

@MonsieurX said:

Because gamespot make more money off used copies

You can get your money back not store credit if you buy a used copy from gamestop.

So it's best to buy used plus if ur used copy doesnt work they will give you another copy or your money back..

Get out of here with this shit.

I hate Gamestop and have not bought anything from them in over year, but I caved and pre-ordered my copy of Second Son from them because it come with 500 Sony Rewards points. If they try to sell me on some other crap one me I will really have to bite my tongue to not say something rude.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SolidTy

@PurpleMan5000 said:

To be fair, that game had always-online DRM and the servers were shut down, so any disk copy you purchased at the store would not work, either.

To be also be fair, from the article:

"It also did contain 18 single-player missions."

Tabling any discussion about that particular game, the issue was ownership. A user said he loved DD because of ownership. Turns out, Steam can and have removed a DD game from user libraries.

The article said, "...part of Steam's TOS we consumers don't really own the games but they are leased to us...". When discussing DD ownership and a reason to love DD games, this article seemed incredibly relevant.

Not just because this particular game's DRM, but also because of the precedent Steam demonstrated with this removal of 'DD games from users' action. Is it a unique situation? Right now, I'd agree, but it's certainly worrying.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#86  Edited By Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

Remember when you could walk into a EB Games store and not have your head hurt from the unorganized mass of video games all thrown over the place, feeling the physical copies of the games before you bought them, and didn't get hounded to get an account/credit. Those were the days, how humanity has fallen.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@MonsieurX:

"Yeah,and if you want the industry to die by not supporting the devs"

Lawl. A herm talking about supporting devs. Give me a break.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@SolidTy: arent herms always going on about calling psn+ a rental service and if you buy from Steam...the game is always yours? Looks like the times they are a changin'.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I don't shop at Gamestop. I worked there about 8 years ago, and all you have to do is work there to understand why not to shop there. I opened up a brand new location, set up everything and all that good stuff. We had one of the big shots from Texas show up to help us open the store and preach the values that Gamestop lives by. He kept emphasizing over and over and over again how they don't give a shit about the customer and the success of the business is entirely reliant on screwing people over. He said that 90% of the revenue generated by Gamestop is from used games, which is obvious considering they buy games for pennies and sell them for a few bucks cheaper than brand new copies. It was just sickening to hear how cutthroat this man was and how little he valued the customers, it was despicable.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Boddicker

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Boddicker said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Boddicker said:

That's very doubtful. Every game on the system would also be selling far worse than they are right now.

Sadly we'll never know.

Like I said we'll see what Sony does with the PS5. MS' intentions are clear and Nintendo is pretty much irrelevant at this point (I hope they come back). I think after this gen is over with the console makers will be at a crossroads they were only mildly at before.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#91 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

something something store policy.

something something would get fired if didn't say anything.

something something preorder so they can keep job.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 vl4d_l3nin
@arkephonic said:

I don't shop at Gamestop. I worked there about 8 years ago, and all you have to do is work there to understand why not to shop there. I opened up a brand new location, set up everything and all that good stuff. We had one of the big shots from Texas show up to help us open the store and preach the values that Gamestop lives by. He kept emphasizing over and over and over again how they don't give a shit about the customer and the success of the business is entirely reliant on screwing people over. He said that 90% of the revenue generated by Gamestop is from used games, which is obvious considering they buy games for pennies and sell them for a few bucks cheaper than brand new copies. It was just sickening to hear how cutthroat this man was and how little he valued the customers, it was despicable.

this doesn't surprise me at all. If gamestop gave 1 shit about gaming, they wouldn't sell used copies of games.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Why buy new? Cuz for a mere $5 more you know there wasn't a cockroach orgy taking place on your disc at some point.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

This is probably the first time I've ever seen such an argument in support of digital downloads.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Boddicker

@Wickerman777 said:

Why buy new? Cuz for a mere $5 more you know there wasn't a cockroach orgy taking place on your disc at some point.

I regularly buy DVD's from a local resale shop (I know, I know) and 1-2 a year a cockroach will fall out of the case when they're opening them to check the disc.

When that happens I throw away the case and clean the DVD extra good.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I started buying digital only this gen specifically to avoid GS. I mean yeah, at some point I might have to delete games to make room for others, but I'd be in the same situation with retail copies since both are installed fully to the HDD this gen. I'm just not a fan of discs in sometimes tacky cases anymore. Just turn the system on and go right to it. Cuts Gamestop right out of the equation, and still supports the developers. Doesn't hurt that both companies have made swapping to a new system and redownloading your games attached to the profile easy, and convenient.

Besides, I'm always online now. It was great to wake up this morning, press a button to buy Infamous: SS, eat breakfast and browse the forums, and then the game was already ready to start playing while the download finished in the background. No heading out to Gamestop and being harassed by desperate clerks who have to push reserves and used games on me to get more hours. I know why they do it, and I sympathize at least a bit. But they really need to realize that's a sinking ship and move on.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I don't get asked anything except "Are you intereseted in preordering any games right now?"

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I just went and got Dark Souls 2 from there. They don't hassle me ever at all.

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 steamistrash

@Pittfan666 said:

Remember when you could walk into a EB Games store and not have your head hurt from the unorganized mass of video games all thrown over the place, feeling the physical copies of the games before you bought them, and didn't get hounded to get an account/credit. Those were the days, how humanity has fallen.

ya ebgames used to be higher end store and the people werent as much of dumbasses and gamestop/funcoland was a ghetto unorangized mess but they merged together so that explains it.