GameStop Italy Reports Watch_Dogs is Cancelled on Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (13166 posts) -

As pointed out by GAF, GameStop Italy is reporting that Watch_Dogs is no longer coming to the Wii U. Sure enough, if you go to their website you'll find the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs has been marked 'Cancelled' and had its pages removed. The PS3, PS4, 360, Xbox One, and PC versions are all still present and available for preorder.

We'll have to wait for confirmation from Ubisoft before knowing the game's status worldwide. Considering Watch_Dogs is the biggest third-party title coming to the Wii U, it paints a bleak picture for future support of the system. Thoughts, System Wars?

#2 Edited by charizard1605 (57675 posts) -

It makes sense at first glance, but to be honest, it actually doesn't: at this point, cancelling a completed game would make no sense at all. It's a sunk cost, might as well release it and recoup what you can.

We'll see what Ubisoft has to say.

#3 Posted by DocSanchez (1603 posts) -

Its a little underdeveloped as evidence goes. We will see. Can't see a reason they wouldn't release an almost finished game unless they're really having trouble with the platform.

#4 Posted by Raptor_Herc (222 posts) -

The game is still listed on Ubisoft's website as "coming soon".

#5 Edited by clyde46 (46289 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

It makes sense at first glance, but to be honest, it actually doesn't: at this point, cancelling a completed game would make no sense at all. It's a sunk cost, might as well release it and recoup what you can.

I agree, plus its Ubisoft and they seem to like the Wii U.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (57675 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

WiiUbisoft

#7 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3574 posts) -

Best to wait for official confirmation. I sure hope it's not.

#8 Posted by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

Doubt that would be true. There would just be no logical sense this far through the dev cycle to remove a platform.

#9 Posted by clr84651 (5446 posts) -

That's not enough to say it's cancelled for sure. I've seen it before & then Game Stop puts the game back on there.

#10 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14092 posts) -

As much as I dislike nintendo's business practices of late. It wouldn't make much sense to cancel a game that's nearly completed.

#11 Posted by millerlight89 (18543 posts) -

I wouldn't want to play this on WiiU. Stupid to cancel this now, though.

#12 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

Ubisoft finally tired of Nintendo's shit.

#13 Edited by spike6958 (4786 posts) -

Seems unlikely. The games out in March, at this point the money is already spent, and the Wii U version is likely to just be the PS3/360 version with some gamepad gimmicks thrown in. It's gonna sell better on Playstation and Xbox, but we knew that already and so did Ubisoft, just like we knew Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 would sell better on those systems than on Wii U. I could believe it if they said Watch Dogs was to be Ubisofts final Wii U title, but as said, they've already spent the money on the Wii U version, might as well ship it out there and see something back for it.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (57675 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

Seems unlikely. The games out in March, at this point the money is already spent, and the Wii U version is likely to just be the PS3/360 version with some gamepad gimmicks thrown in. It's gonna sell better on Playstation and Xbox, but we knew that already and so did Ubisoft, just like we knew Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 would sell better on those systems than on Wii U. I could believe it if they said Watch Dogs was to be Ubisofts final Wii U title, but as said, they've already spent the money on the Wii U version, might as well ship it out there and see something back for it.

They actually have Child of Light planned for Wii U after this.

#15 Posted by Slashkice (13166 posts) -
@spike6958 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Watch_Dogs still doesn't have a firm release date. Considering the recent bombs of ACIV and Splinter Cell on the Wii U combined with rumors suggesting Watch_Dogs development is far behind on the platform, it's not out of the question that Ubisoft would just cut their losses and cancel it entirely.

#16 Posted by charizard1605 (57675 posts) -

@Slashkice said:
@spike6958 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Watch_Dogs still doesn't have a firm release date. Considering the recent bombs of ACIV and Splinter Cell on the Wii U combined with rumors suggesting Watch_Dogs development is far behind on the platform, it's not out of the question that Ubisoft would just cut their losses and cancel it entirely.

There are rumors of development of the game on Wii U struggling?

#17 Edited by Desmonic (14064 posts) -

This doesn't make sense. Unless it was cancelled quite some time ago, like chaz said, it's just sunk cost. They might recoupe it on the other platforms, but it'll take a bit longer...

#18 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1363 posts) -

Makes sense. I don't see many parents letting their kid have a game like Watch dogs, probably reminded them too much of gta.Uni probably realized this and decided to cut it loose.

#19 Posted by silversix_ (14605 posts) -

bu bu bu but Ubisoft loooooves WiiU

#20 Edited by KHAndAnime (13758 posts) -

Wouldn't be surprised - considering WiiU sales - it's probably not even worth them to finish the port and distribute to stores. WiiU doesn't sell jack shit. It's more obvious now than ever - which explains why they'd decide to cancel it now.

#21 Posted by lazerface216 (7500 posts) -

goddamn, this whole nintendo shit storm is coming down hard. i really hate seeing nintendo in this situation, i hope this is merely rumor.

#22 Posted by spike6958 (4786 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@spike6958 said:

They actually have Child of Light planned for Wii U after this.

I know, I just meant it would make more sense if they were to say that Watch Dogs was their final project and not release Child of Light (how far into development is it, I didn't think it was far) or any other future titles on Wii U, than it would be to simply cancel Watch Dogs. Though, hopefully neither will happen, Nintendo can't afford anymore losses, games or money wise.

#23 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7393 posts) -

I agree with what many are already saying - it wouldn't make sense. Doubt it's canceled.

#24 Posted by Slashkice (13166 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

There are rumors of development of the game on Wii U struggling?

I couldn't find a link, but I remember reading prior to the game's delay (September-ish) that only the Wii U version was going to get pushed back. Of course, all of them got delayed so it could still be chugging alongside the other versions.

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (23912 posts) -

not surprising at all, they've released 12 separate titles for the Wii U which has only earned them a combined 2 million game sales in all

#26 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2804 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

not surprising at all, they've released 12 separate titles for the Wii U which has only earned them a combined 2 million game sales in all

We have a winner here.

#27 Posted by Speak_Low (1087 posts) -

Normally I'd say it's just a website glitch, but this could make the Sheep nervous if true:

“The rumor comes from one of our readers, and has been unofficially by Italian GameStop stores. Last week, our reader received a call by a GameStop employee, saying that his previously preordered copy of Watch Dogs for Wii U was not going to be offered; therefore, our reader was advised to move the preorder to another game. Asking for reasons, the employee told him that Ubisoft scrapped this version.”

http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/23/rumor-watch-dogs-wii-u-canceled/

Wiitalia goes on the account of contacting multiple GameStop stores, and claims that each time a store was contacted, they were told the same news their reader was told: the Wii U version pre-orders were canceled because Ubisoft has canceled it. The site is currently trying to reach out for an official confirmation on this, and GaminRealm will do the same.

Why would Ubisoft tell Gamestop Italy and not make a bigger announcement to other retailers around the world?

#28 Edited by Heil68 (44508 posts) -

Oh dear. Getting the game on PS4 anyways. :D

#29 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

Uh, isn't the game just about finished though? I really don't see why they would cancel it at this point.

#30 Posted by nini200 (9800 posts) -

It's happened before with Crysis and with Aliens: Colonial Marines so it wouldn't be too farfetched to at least consider it a possibility.

It would suck though as it's the system I'm planning on getting this on due to gamepad implementation.

#31 Edited by Bigboi500 (29914 posts) -

Getting the game on PS4 anyways, but it seems like a bad move to cancel a game so deep in development.

#32 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26708 posts) -

@Slashkice said:
@spike6958 said:

Splinter Cell didn't just bomb on the Wii U. It bombed across ALL platforms.

#33 Posted by getyeryayasout (7498 posts) -

WiiUh-oh! Seems like the all the Gamepad's unique functionality will be for naught. If Ubi tosses in the towel on the WiiU will they have any of big third parties on board? Mama Mia!

#34 Posted by drekula2 (1945 posts) -

prob just a rumor.

would be funny to see it come on wii u and look at everyones reaction.

#35 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11344 posts) -

This is something common isn't it? I can't recall examples but I am more than certain that there have been many times when Gamestop removed a listing but it still ends up being sold.

#36 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25357 posts) -

My Amazon Page still has it on Pre-Order and that's all I know.

It maybe canceled in the European Regions since No one in Europe owns a WiiU.

#37 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

Was planning on buying it on PC so doesn't really impact me. I can't imagine them wasting all that time on development on the Wii U without a product though.

#38 Edited by trugs26 (5483 posts) -

If this is true, my guess is that Ubisoft had a decent game ready for launch on Xbox One and PS4, but due to hype, they needed to polish it. Maybe because the launch date is coming soon, they still need more time to polish, thus dropping support for the console that will probably have the least sales, as well as the most different architecture to develop on: Wii U.

Just my guess on a reason why.

#39 Posted by superbuuman (2838 posts) -

Hope its not true...will be sad if it is true.

#40 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16612 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@clyde46 said:

@charizard1605 said:

WiiUbisoft

After this play on words Ubisoft has announced they will definitely be canceling Watch Dogs on WiiU

#41 Posted by MirkoS77 (7484 posts) -

Highly doubt it's true.

#42 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26708 posts) -

Ubisoft's response: Nothing to comment on at the moment. Sounds shady.

In the meantime, looks like the same Gamestop Italy still has pre-orders up.