GameSpot: Why You Should Buy a Vita in 2014

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13240 posts) -

An article by System Wars favorite, Tom McShea:

I haven't been shy about my love for the Vita. Hardly a day goes by that I don't lose myself in one of the countless digital offerings on Sony's fantastic handheld. And yet, if you were to look at the sales figures, you would see that I'm part of a tiny minority. Well, I can't explain why others haven't been as excited as I am, but I can sure tell you why this is a system that you need to own.

The Library

The Vita is a veritable greatest-hits collection of the best independent games out there. For some, having ports dominate the library is a bad thing; I have no idea why that's the case. Games from every platform find their way onto the Vita, so instead of rushing from one device to another, I have most everything I want in one place. Sony has really embraced portability by giving some games cross-buy/cross-save functionality.

Although the indie section is where the Vita is strongest, there's a wealth of more traditional retail offerings as well. As far as I'm concerned, Rayman Origins and Legends were meant to be played on the Vita, because platformers thrive in short bursts. And visual novels such as Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc have coaxed me to leave my Kindle at home while I'm absorbed in their digital stories. If you want to spend more than a hundred hours invested in one amazing adventure, Persona 4 Golden will keep you riveted with the daily lives of ordinary high school students who battle demons. Oh, and whenever you need your heart warmed, Tearaway is like an arts and crafts table brought to life.

Don't forget about the expansive back catalog from previous generations. Many of my favorite games from the PlayStation and PSP can be downloaded on the Vita.

Upcoming Games

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Volume, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, CounterSpy, Android Assault Cactus, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Hohokum, Dustforce, Rogue Legacy, Natural Doctrine, Starbound, and Murasaki Baby.

The Hardware

Raw specifications have never interested me. What does matter is how a system's technical prowess affects its games. Killzone: Mercenary looks just as good as its PlayStation 3 counterparts, and having that kind of power in portable form is a luxury. With gorgeous games such as Gravity Rush and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation cramming in visuals I'm accustomed to seeing on a television screen, the Vita provides great-looking games no matter where you feel like playing. Plus, don't ignore the incredible flexibility of this hardware. There's a touchscreen, back-touch panel, gyroscopes, a camera, and two analog sticks, so a huge variety of experiences can be brought to life.

Other Stuff

The Vita's focus is entirely on games and you can see that dedication when you look at the ancillary features that further enhance the experience. PlayStation Plus is a subscription service that is a huge help for those who want to spend as little money as possible while still enjoying the best games out there. Every week, Sony hands out select games free of charge, along with deals on lots of other games, so as long as you're willing to shell out $50 per year, you're always going to have new games to try out.

Another amazing feature is Remote Play. The Vita seamlessly connects to my PlayStation 4, allowing me to play console games without the need for a television. Leading up to the launch of the PlayStation 4, Remote Play never seemed that intriguing, but it's an indispensable part of my gaming routine now that I have it.

Finally, Sony just unveiled PlayStation Now, which feels downright gluttonous considering I already have more games than I could possibly find time to play. Now is a streaming service that brings the extensive back catalog from Sony's rich history (PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3) to modern platforms. And, yes, the Vita totally supports this service.

The Vita's impressive hardware, robust streaming solutions, and varied library have made it my go-to system, and it's clear to me that anyone who loves games would adore one once they give it a chance. Remember, "It's better on Vita" isn't just a slogan I made up; it's the truth.

--

Read the full article here.

Do you agree with Tom and GameSpot, System Wars? The Vita's had its missteps, but I think there's a lot to like about the platform if you're willing to give it a chance, as pointed out by McShea.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

I think it's a great platform, with some wonderful experiences to provide. I am very happy with mine, and anyone who has more than a passing interest in games should consider picking one up.

#3 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

It could definitely use more games, but it gets unfairly hated on.

Play Killzone: Mercenary and it'll make a believer out of anyone.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

Lol, I was gonna make this thread. Title should be "McShea drops the mic: Buy a Vita in 2014"

#5 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

I have one and love it. The library needs a lot of work, but i've had tons of fun with it.

#6 Posted by kunal_anand50 (79 posts) -

I love mine. I would rather have games like guacameele on it instead of ''Console quality games'' like cod. There are plenty of games out there for vita that every gamer would enjoy.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

I might trade in my 3DS for it.

#8 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

At this point, I am basicly just waiting for a price drop to $150-$170 and a price drop in the memory cards as well. Got way too big of a backlog to be bothered with buying one now anyways.

#9 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

At this point, I am basicly just waiting for a price drop to $150-$170 and a price drop in the memory cards as well. Got way too big of a backlog to be bothered with buying one now anyways.

A drop to $150 would be godly. The memory cards and their prices are probably what it felt like to be the conductor during the Great Train Robbery.

#10 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I heart my Vita. Was playing urban trial freestyle on it (free with PS+), a much better game than expected. and yep, better on Vita.

#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8196 posts) -

I much rather have a 3DS with countless exclusives that can't be played on other systems.

Vita is good for tumbleweed collecting though.

#12 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

A drop to $150 would be godly. The memory cards and their prices are probably what it felt like to be the conductor during the Great Train Robbery.

Honestly (in America), it's not that hard to find a Vita at $150 or less many, many times during the year.

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (47270 posts) -

I want one, I just dont see a reason to get one any time soon.

#14 Posted by Coco_pierrot (324 posts) -

I'm not that much into handheld system, I tried the gameboy SP during the PS2 era and didn't enjoy it at all but this one interested my since the day that the Vita hit the store I was more impress by it than the 3DS. I played the 3DS a little but I didn't like it at all. Sure some games looks really fun but I had a lot of fun with my Vita and I really don't regret it at all.I still haven't finish Soul Sacrifice because I became obsessed with P4G for too long and other game keep coming that I wanted to play. Ys and Disgaia 3 is on my wish list

#15 Edited by blamix99 (2059 posts) -

im very happy with mine, specially when im traveling..

can't wait for FFX HD. im gonna get all those weapons and aeons =)

#16 Edited by starwolf474 (697 posts) -

I hate playing games on handhelds, so I will never buy a normal Vita, but I will definitely buy a Vita TV as soon as Sony finally releases it in America. I don't understand why Sony chose to release it in Japan first since this kind of device would be much more appealing to the western market.

#17 Edited by nyzma23 (929 posts) -

it's advertising at best

#18 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3298 posts) -

The Vita is a great platform for indie games. Tom also happens to love indie titles. Its the perfect platform for him and Colin over at IGN. The average bro gamer isn't interested in the Vita and it's understandable.

#19 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Honestly (in America), it's not that hard to find a Vita at $150 or less many, many times during the year.

Maybe for somebody actively searching for a Vita at that price, but not for somebody like me just sitting around waiting for it to drop in price. I don't have time to be bother with searching for deals for a Vita.

#20 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Maybe for somebody actively searching for a Vita at that price, but not for somebody like me just sitting around waiting for it to drop in price. I don't have time to be bother with searching for deals for a Vita.

Then you have no one to blame but yourself

#21 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26585 posts) -

I enjoy mine and nothing is going to change that.However i will be taking a vita break since rune factory 4 is coming in soon and I needs to use my 3dsxl.

#22 Posted by Joedgabe (5119 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Where do you search them at? is it local stores or online stores? I live in NYC It's hard to find anything local at a decent price here.... ( this city is shit to live in, it's only cool to visit )

#23 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

So this thread boils down to multiplats and two games? No thanks.

#24 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5345 posts) -

@Slashkice:

I have been touting the charms of the vita since inception. It's my most played system, even my PS4 and gaming pc don't stack up to the amount of time I spend on my vita. I take the thing to work everyday and have a 32gb stick filled and own over 20 retail game cards. It rocks, and plus just makes it better. I won't even get into the awesomeness that is the psp and ps1 upscalling with dual analog support. Can't wait for PSNow. I want to play elder scrolls on this thing!

#25 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Where do you search them at? is it local stores or online stores? I live in NYC It's hard to find anything local at a decent price here.... ( this city is shit to live in, it's only cool to visit )

Just using CAG. I bought mine off Cowboom.com with an 8GB memory card for $128 back in December 2012.

I can imagine NYC is significantly harder. A lot of stores like KMart have had random drops to $150, others have $170 with TWD and 4GB of memory.

I'd honestly suggest Cowboom.com

#26 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5345 posts) -

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I just bought a 32gb stick on sale at gamestop 2 weeks ago for $39... those things retail normally for $80. You just got to look for the deals. So now I have an 8gb and a 16gb collecting dust (wish my ipad had expansion slots...errr..)

#27 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9843 posts) -

I'll get one when Sony makes a PS4VITA bundle

#28 Posted by stuff238 (722 posts) -

I have no problem spending the $200 for the PS Vita. I want one. The problem is the price of memory cards. It's $80 for a freaking 32GB card. That's a huge rip off and I am not willing to spend that much to save my games, And I refuse to buy anything smaller because even with 32GB, you can only save 8-16 games. lol.

I don't understand what makes these memory cards so special that they cost so much? I can get normal 32GB memory cards anywhere from $20-40 in stores. Add in sales and they are even cheaper.

#29 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Like I said. I will wait until it drops in price to $150-$170. Are you going to start having another crybaby rant about the way I do things again?

#30 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Like I said. I will wait until it drops in price to $150-$170. Are you going to start having another crybaby rant about the way I do things again?

Forever useless AmazonTreeBoa. Never change you, never change.

Question, is your sole purpose on this planet to make others feel better about themselves?

#31 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Question, is your sole purpose on this planet to make others feel better about themselves?

As I expected.

#32 Edited by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

You dipshit, you're not supposed to post that, you're supposed to change the other user's post with that.

Stop making me feel so good about myself. The endorphins shouldn't be rushing this much.

#33 Posted by bbkkristian (14956 posts) -

@cain006: that's really all there is to play on it. Lol

Only a couple exclusive games give you the memorable experience that games aim to provide. That memorable feeling is what makes me recommend the 3DS over the Vita, there are just simply more games that offer that quality that I search for.

I play more PSP games than I do Vita games, and when I see console ports on it, why would I buy the portable version when the console version is superior, for example: Jak Collection, whichwas the worst port of its three adaptions. And Future ports such as FFX/X2 don't even have cross buy, so why would I get it on Vita? I'm not taking the risk of an inferior port.

#34 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3615 posts) -

You don't need to convince me to get one.

#35 Posted by wolverine4262 (19391 posts) -

Nah, I dont need a port machine.

#36 Posted by Seabas989 (10402 posts) -

Meh Tom didn't convince me at all.

#37 Edited by bobbetybob (19291 posts) -

If you want to play games on the go it's great, if you want it just as another gaming device it's not worth it.

There we go, that solved that whole dilemma.

#38 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

I think it's a great platform, with some wonderful experiences to provide. I am very happy with mine, and anyone who has more than a passing interest in games should consider picking one up.

I like this side of you. The one where you speak more like a fan of gaming instead of an asshole Nintendo fanboy.

#39 Posted by Slashkice (13240 posts) -
@bbkkristian said:

@cain006: that's really all there is to play on it. Lol

Only a couple exclusive games give you the memorable experience that games aim to provide. That memorable feeling is what makes me recommend the 3DS over the Vita, there are just simply more games that offer that quality that I search for.

I play more PSP games than I do Vita games, and when I see console ports on it, why would I buy the portable version when the console version is superior, for example: Jak Collection, whichwas the worst port of its three adaptions. And Future ports such as FFX/X2 don't even have cross buy, so why would I get it on Vita? I'm not taking the risk of an inferior port.

Impressions of Final Fantasy X are actually very positive. Ports like the Jak Collection are in the minority on the Vita; the majority are quality conversions. That aside, the major reason (for me at least) to play multiplatform games on Vita is portability. It's why I prefer to play Hotline Miami, Persona 4, Disgaea, Rayman, Dragon's Crown, Sound Shapes, and numerous other games on the system despite having a perfectly functional PS3 and PC. Though, if you're someone who only puts up with handhelds because of the exclusives and not because you actually enjoy portability, this won't mean a lot.

#40 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

How are you so neutral? What's the secret of not being a fanboy? xD

#41 Edited by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

There are a ton of discrete Japanese

@Blabadon said:

@lild1425 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

It is actually only $185 right now on Amazon. I thought it was still $200+. But the Vita is a fragile handheld, so it may be hard to get a used one where a kid didn't attach a rocket to it then drop it in the toilet than start eating it like a pop art.

#42 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Spending $200+ on a platform to play multiplats on the go (something I don't need) does not sound enticing.

#43 Posted by mooooo99 (1249 posts) -

the ps vita is fantastic.. sure there are multiplats on the console but there also a nice amount of exclusives. i have had mine since release and only 1 month has gone buy when i havent played anything on it. between the vita and the 3ds, the vita wins hands down. 3ds is still a great console with great games.

#44 Posted by Consternated (496 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Nah, I dont need a port machine.

I hate mine, because this is exactly what it is.

#45 Posted by freedomfreak (40954 posts) -

No thanks.

#47 Posted by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

Best games. Best tech. Best handheld.

#48 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

The only reasons to own one:

#49 Edited by rogelio22 (2381 posts) -

I just bought one like 2wks ago and am stunned on how badass it is! Having way more fun with it than my ps4... now im just waiting on my 64gb memory card from japan which was $100 but better deal than the $80 32gb.. I cant wait to install all my games I got over the last few months for free/cheap of psn :D

#50 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

I bought a Vita....and it could definitely use more games. But I'm not really into dl.