Gamespot should switch to a 5-point scoring scale

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

**** the scoring system. I pay no attention to it. Continue it or not, idgaf. Best to watch gameplay videos, impressions by non-pro reviewers and playing demos.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

They should scrap the 5-point system and use a 2-point system : Recommended or Not Recommended. Let's face it - anything in between is trivial and pointless.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Honestly, gamespot reviews are riddled with politics and click bait and I've no respect for them. But when it comes to reviews the less precise the scoring the better. Switch to a percentage and you get constant bickering because such and such game got 89% instead of 90%. Switch to out of 10 and people complain because of inconsistencies.

Write a good review (out of bounds for the likes of O' Shea) and give us a thumbs up or down. I'll read it and form my own opinion. I know gaming and trust most forum users much more than the reviewers who are either paid up by companies or looking for attention.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
@TheEroica said:

@Nengo_Flow said:
@TheEroica said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

**** NO! the 5 point/star system is the worst out of all of them.

The best in the .5 increments

followed by the single digit out of 10

then the 1-100

then no score at all system

Just a little devils advocate, and let me assure you, I too like the 10 point by .5 increment scale the best... thing is, don't we only really concern ourselves with 5 points of that scale anyway? I mean its nice to say we have different levels of shit (1-5) but isnt shit... well, shit? I think the move to a 5 point scales is actually accomplishing the same thing as the 10, just that its ok to use the entire scale rather than only paying attention to one half of the scale and calling the rest... shit.

B*tch dont question me.

c'mon Nengo... You can do better than that. :P

I really cant do any better than this...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:
@TheEroica said:

@Nengo_Flow said:
@TheEroica said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

**** NO! the 5 point/star system is the worst out of all of them.

The best in the .5 increments

followed by the single digit out of 10

then the 1-100

then no score at all system

Just a little devils advocate, and let me assure you, I too like the 10 point by .5 increment scale the best... thing is, don't we only really concern ourselves with 5 points of that scale anyway? I mean its nice to say we have different levels of shit (1-5) but isnt shit... well, shit? I think the move to a 5 point scales is actually accomplishing the same thing as the 10, just that its ok to use the entire scale rather than only paying attention to one half of the scale and calling the rest... shit.

B*tch dont question me.

c'mon Nengo... You can do better than that. :P

I really cant do any better than this...

lol... fair enough

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

For SW sake, go back to the 100 point scale. Nothing better than a game getting an 8.9 and seeing the rage that ensues. For GS sake, well, who the hell cares?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

I think the problem with Gamespots review staff is that they have very different tastes than the community here. Kevin and Carolyn love artsy fartsy games and anything that empowers women or the LGBT community. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They just seem to beat us over the head with it. Then there is Tom McShea who loves the Vita, Indie games and pissing off Gamespot users with troll review scores. I even question if he really pays attention to the AAA games he plays. He said he thought Joel from TLOU was a drug dealer for crying out loud. I'm still on the fence with Chris and don't know enough about the others yet.

Carolyn is a feminist and brings it to her reviews when they don't need to be there

Kevin is an idealist trying to change the way we look at games

Tom is a bad troll

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Every site should use a 5 point system. It's the only one that make sense.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I liked the really old way games were reviewed here, with graphics and game play etc all broken down and scored on individually. Man those were good times

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Anyone think that not having a numerical score at all could be a nice trend in this industry?

Wouldn't happen.

You would need a site that could first get the kind of traffic to get away with doing reviews where there is no score. And then letting that kind of criticism start influencing other people. But at the end of the day the real issue isn't the scoring systems themselves(okay, maybe any of them that are over 10 points, those are just overkill), but mostly the way criticism of a videogame is done or accepted.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Who gives a shit? No matter how many or how few numbers its still a numerical system assigned to give a game a score. What does it matter if a game gets a 3 or a 50? They both mean the exact same thing. At least with 100 you get a broader range.

But still it all boils down to its some random stranger on the internet opinion and means nothing to me.