Xenoblade Chronicles

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

House of the Dead: Overkill

---

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by gameofthering (10256 posts) -

Not bad. I have 11 of those games.

#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

They forgot Samurai Warriors 3, among several other masterpieces.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

Very good. The Wii was a gem of a console.

#5 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8953 posts) -

1) Donkey Kong Country Returns

2) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

3) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

4) Punch-Out!!

5) Super Mario Galaxy 2

I'd say these are the big top 5. Surprising that Skyward Sword isn't on there. That game is the best proof of concept the console has

Also where in the heck is Boom Blox? It's an amazing party game that used the motion controls really well

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

Okay, here's my top ten:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  3. Mario Kart Wii
  4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  6. Wii Sports Resort
  7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  9. Moster Hunter Tri
  10. The Last Story
#7 Edited by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

Okay, here's my top ten:

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Monster Hunter Tri
  • The Last Story
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Resident Evil 4
#8 Edited by Minishdriveby (9977 posts) -

Where's Little King's Story?

EDIT: I have 16 on the wii and 2 on other consoles (RE4 and Okami).

#9 Posted by Blabadon (26333 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Poor original Galaxy always getting the shaft because sites always want to diversify the list and not repeat a series. Seriously, Galaxy 1 is fantastic as well.

#10 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Terrible list. It's almost like they do it on purpose.

Wheres Shattered Memories, Skyward Sword, Deadly Creatures, Red Steele 2, Sin & Punishment, Muramasa, Other M, Little King's Story?

#11 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4637 posts) -

wheres wario land shake it? very underrated. and mario galaxy 1 should be on list

#12 Posted by Wanderer5 (25702 posts) -

Not bad I guess, but ugh at No More Heroes. Sequel was much better even through it lost a bit of the charm the first one had despite its flaws.

#13 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17161 posts) -

No mention of Sonic Colors, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Sin and Punishment makes that list a failure to me.

My favorites:

1. Sonic Colors
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
  3. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  4. Skyward Sword
  5. NiGHTS Journey of Dreams
  6. House of the Dead 2 & 3
  7. Super Smash
  8. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
  9. Mad World
  10. Red Steel 2
#14 Posted by Blabadon (26333 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

wheres wario land shake it? very underrated. and mario galaxy 1 should be on list

Another Wii classic.

#15 Posted by Behardy24 (4192 posts) -

I would put MadWorld on there personally, that game was super rad.

#16 Posted by TTUalumni13 (493 posts) -

I have all of those except warioware and wii fit :P wii had so many great games and hidden gems, easily my favorite console.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

No mention of Sonic Colors, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Sin and Punishment makes that list a failure to me.

My favorites:

1. Sonic Colors
  3. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  4. Skyward Sword
  7. Super Smash
  9. Mad World
  10. Red Steel 2

NiGHTS was on Wii?!?!?

#18 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17161 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

My favorites:

1. Sonic Colors
  3. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  4. Skyward Sword
  7. Super Smash
  9. Mad World
  10. Red Steel 2

NiGHTS was on Wii?!?!?

The second one is which is an exclusive for it. Journey of Dreams isn't as good as the original, and it's no where near as challenging, but it still has some of that magical charm that makes NiGHTS so special.

It has flaws, but if you love NiGHTS into Dreams, Journey is worth at least checking out.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury: The hell. Now I have to track this down.

#20 Posted by thehig1 (2008 posts) -

I like the look of those games, but the controls on the wii sucked so much I didn't bother playing my favorite franchises.

However emulation has been fantastic, donkey Kong returns Mario brothers wii and Mario galaxy all work well with a 360 controller on dolphin

#21 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

It has Xenoblade Chronicles. i am satisfied.

#22 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11846 posts) -

What a poopy list for a poopy console.

#23 Edited by SolidTy (43300 posts) -

I saw the thread title so I came in here to see if I missed any of those Wii games, except for the multiplats that were better on other systems (Rockband 3, Dead Space Extraction, COD: Black Ops, and Okami), I own almost all of them. I still own those excellent multiplats as well, but just not on Wii.

I don't own Wii Fit and I never will, but I own other games I believe are better choices. GS just wanted to round off their list, but I would have had Boomblox, Kirby's (Various), Mad World, No More Heroes, Nights, Wario Land (various), Little Kings Story, etc.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I saw the thread title so I came in here to see if I missed any of those Wii games, except for the multiplats that were better on other systems (Rockband 3, COD, and Okami), I own almost all of them. I still own those as multiplats as well, but just not on Wii.

I don't own Wii Fit and I never will, but I own other games I believe are better choices. GS just wanted to round off their list, but I would have had Boomblox, Kirby's (Various), Mad world. No More Heroes, Nights, etc.

Rock Band 3 and CoD are objectively better on other systems, but it is very hard to argue that Okami is better on PS2 or PS3, unless you absolutely hate motion controls, in which case it comes down to your personal preference more than anything else.

#25 Edited by SolidTy (43300 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

I saw the thread title so I came in here to see if I missed any of those Wii games, except for the multiplats that were better on other systems (Rockband 3, Dead Space Extraction, COD: Black Ops, and Okami), I own almost all of them. I still own those excellent multiplats as well, but just not on Wii.

I don't own Wii Fit and I never will, but I own other games I believe are better choices. GS just wanted to round off their list, but I would have had Boomblox, Kirby's (Various), Mad World, No More Heroes, Nights, Wario Land (various), Little Kings Story, etc.

Rock Band 3 and CoD are objectively better on other systems, but it is very hard to argue that Okami is better on PS2 or PS3, unless you absolutely hate motion controls, in which case it comes down to your personal preference more than anything else.

I don't agree. The original Kamiya directed Clover Studio team had nothing to do with the years later Wii port and due to that the drawing was too much of a chore over the original masterpiece. Okami is objectively better on the original PS2 due to the controls for combat...and I wanted to like Okami better like RE4 when I bought it, but it didn't cut the mustard. Sold it to a collector friend who wanted both my copies. I was only willing to part with the late Wii version. I waited years to get my hands on it, but alas.

In fact, Nintendo Power recommended the PS2 version over the Wii version back then. I was all for the Wii version at first, but I had to agree with their assessment being a major Okami fan. That wasn't the only site. I still think the Wii version is good, but I was spoiled by the previous version two years before and I imagined the controls being a better improvement than they were. It's tough to talk to those that didn't play Kamiya's masterpiece when it first came out because the fans I spoke to that later played the Wii version agreed. However, I meet people that played the late port Wii version online and it turns most of the times in those discussions over the years out that was their first time with the game. I can't argue against that.

I'm not going to defend my choice (as well as others in SW having that same opinion, including sites) now again after all these years as I've had this conversation about what seems to be 100x in SW when this game was relevant (2006 I had a lot of discussions, and then again in 2008). I know many reviews touched on the celestial brush controls problems with the Wii port though.

Doesn't the PS3 version support Move controls and is in HD? I believe that's the case. That might trump every version, but I still hold to the PS2 classic until I get around to messing with the PS3 version. Move was more accurate than the Wii with motion+, and Okami didn't even use motion+. That's just objectively looking at this if I was a waggle fan. Combat was better on the Dualshock 2 in 2006 and although possible on Wii, it wasn't as good as I imagined it could have been (maybe motion+ could have rectified this issues, I'm not sure).

It's tough to talk about a 2006 game and later 2008 port again in 2014 though.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

I don't agree. The original Kamiya directed Clover Studio team had nothing to do with the years later Wii port and due to that the drawing was too much of a chore over the original masterpiece. Okami is objectively better on the original PS2 due to the controls for combat...and I wanted to like Okami better like RE4 when I bought it, but it didn't cut the mustard. Sold it to a collector friend who wanted both my copies. I was only willing to part with the late Wii version. I waited years to get my hands on it, but alas.

In fact, Nintendo Power recommended the PS2 version over the Wii version back then. I was all for the Wii version at first, but I had to agree with their assessment being a major Okami fan. That wasn't the only site.

I'm not going to defend my choice (as well as others in SW having that same opinion, including sites) now again after all these years as I've had this conversation about what seems to be 100x in SW when this game was relevant. I know many reviews touched on the celestial brush controls problems with the Wii port though.

Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree here. Okami was one of the rare instances where I found the motion controls added substantially to the game and its immersion, while on the PS2, it just felt like another game, a great game, but just a game.

I will have to disagree with Nintendo Power and all these other reviews you refer to, since quite obviously, their opinion does not supercede my own for me. The original Okami was great- the port made it even better by successfully translating it to a system where the game truly came into its own and transcended its medium.

#27 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

So let me get this straight: Black Ops made the list, but Super Mario Galaxy, one of the most critically acclaimed games of the generation, and Skyward Sword didn't?

lol

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (57672 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

So let me get this straight: Black Ops made the list, but Super Mario Galaxy, one of the most critically acclaimed games of the generation, and Skyward Sword didn't?

lol

I think they were a) trying not to repeat games from within a series, b) represent multiple genres (in which case Black Ops is certainly the best shooter on the console), and of course, there is c) Skyward Sword fucking sucks.

#29 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

lol

I think they were a) trying not to repeat games from within a series, b) represent multiple genres (in which case Black Ops is certainly the best shooter on the console), and of course, there is c) Skyward Sword fucking sucks.

I don't see the point in a best game's list if they're just going to omit games for the sake of diversity. Maybe if article contained a best platformer on the Wii, best FPS on the Wii, etc. kind of thing, I would see why some games of certain series got omitted.

#30 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

007: Goldeneye was one hell of a remake and a fantastic shooter in its own right.

Surprised it didn't make the list yet Black Ops did.

#31 Edited by Blabadon (26333 posts) -

@Demonjoe93: Welcome to games journalism, where top games list are usually dominated by games that are nostalgic and influential instead of being still good

See: Super Mario 64

#32 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

Some of the games on that list are great and deserving of the spot, while others aren't (mainly Super Paper Mario- they should've stuck with the RPG format). Also, Silent Hill Shattered Memories deserves a place on that list. It's easily one of the most well told stories in a game.

#33 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Demonjoe93: Welcome to games journalism, where top games list are usually dominated by games that are nostalgic and influential instead of being still good

I still think SM64 was one of the best N64 games, for its time, I mean. Yeah, it hasn't aged as well as some N64 games have, but it's still a really good game even today. I definitely think the Galaxy games will be better remembered than it ten years down the road though. The Galaxy games are just amazing.

#34 Edited by cainetao11 (17554 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah better than given credit for. I actually enjoyed the COD games on the Wii. Motion controls worked for me in them. Mad World? I enjoyed that game.

#35 Posted by Blabadon (26333 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@Blabadon said:

I still think SM64 was one of the best N64 games, for its time, I mean. Yeah, it hasn't aged as well as some N64 games have, but it's still a really good game even today. I definitely think the Galaxy games will be better remembered than it ten years down the road though. The Galaxy games are just amazing.

SM 64 is my go-to example for a 90s game I don't consider crap today. Still, seeing it in the top 10 games list is insulting. It's simply not as good as a lot of games today, even if ironically it is as good if not better than a lot of games today (especially the remake)

#36 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah better than given credit for. I actually enjoyed the COD games on the Wii. Motion controls worked for me in them. Mad World? I enjoyed that game.

Gotta say I love the feeling of reloading by shaking the nunchuk. Just feels right.

#37 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (829 posts) -

There is one good Wii game and it is Resident Evil 4. That's the only game where I was like "hey, using this piece of shit remote didn't sap 100% of my enjoyment from the game"

I sort of liked DKCR too, but it's pretty hard to fuck up a 2D platformer, and while they tried their best to do so with mapping commands to motion controls, it still managed to be an alright game.

The rest are pretty much shit, and the system overall was not worth the $250 I spent on it.

#38 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@Blabadon said:

SM 64 is my go-to example for a 90s game I don't consider crap today. Still, seeing it in the top 10 games list is insulting. It's simply not as good as a lot of games today, even if ironically it is as good if not better than a lot of games today (especially the remake)

That's an issue I often have with the top ten games of all time lists. It's really hard to compare games that are of different generations.

#39 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25356 posts) -

needs more Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus.

#40 Posted by MonsieurX (30228 posts) -

Not sure why CoD is in there but I agree with the rest

#41 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts? they are that all these games are bad imo but i still say console wise wii was best console of last gen even thought 90% of wii games are kiddy games.

#42 Posted by MonsieurX (30228 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts? they are that all these games are bad imo but i still say console wise wii was best console of last gen even thought 90% of wii games are kiddy games.

How are they bad? You never played any of those

#43 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@SNIPER4321 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Thoughts?

i have played some of them. and plenty of nintendo games

#44 Posted by MonsieurX (30228 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@SNIPER4321 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Thoughts?

i have played some of them. and plenty of nintendo games

But why?

It's too pink and girly for you,not enough blood,trips and sweat

#45 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

But why?

i just give them a try.

also contra was best game on SNES thats why.

#46 Edited by MonsieurX (30228 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:
@MonsieurX said:

But why?

i just give them a try.

also contra was best game on SNES thats why.

Still not 1st party and a Nintendo game

#47 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Because CoD is awesome, especially on Wii.

#48 Edited by MonsieurX (30228 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Unlike you and Selena Gomez

#49 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@MonsieurX said:

Unlike you and Selena Gomez

Really no need to be a jerk.

#50 Edited by Gue1 (9985 posts) -

the Wii really was a piece of shit. But to its credit the Wii was the longest fad I have ever seen, it redefined the word.