GameSpot: Nintendo's problem is its all about Nostalgia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Gamespot.  The site with absolute zero credibility and skewed articles/reviews.  And they seem to have it in for Nintendo.

No, this is not Nintendo's problem.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Nintendo are nostalgia. All the fans of Nintendo are fans because of nostalgia and nothing more and the few new fans they made with the Wii they lost them to Kinect. I know how it feels because I already went through that phase but you guys have to realize that the Nintendo we have now is not the same Nintendo from the Snes days.  Just because you were stuck with a N64 or GC playing Ocarina of Time and Smash Bros all year long doesn't make them good consoles, is just that you had nothing else.

Objectibely speaking, every single Zelda 3D game is like playing an expansion pack of the older ones but somehow they still score triple across the board everytime! That right there is nostalgia at its finest. Mario Galaxy? Not even that good! Not only does it look downright ugly at times, the tacked-on feel of some of its controls, its utter lack of a compelling story and super easy difficulties makes this game the most overrated thing I have played in my life. Not even joking with this. Zelda TP and SS? More overrated crap. Metroid Prime Trilogy? The only good one was the first... Smash Bros? Same crap, you can't even tell them apart. Mario Kart? They are all the same since the Snes. And so on... Nintendo are nostalgia.

Gue1
It's amazing how much of your life you spent typing this horrible trollbait.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Blabadon

Gamespot.  The site with absolute zero credibility and skewed articles/reviews.  And they seem to have it in for Nintendo.

sonic_spark
Which is why Super Mario Galaxy got a 9.5 and Game of the Year and its sequel got a 10/10. Sure, GameSpot has it in for Nintendo.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Their games are still the best. They aren't even the same as they used to be anyway.. Is luigi's mansion 2 the same as the original? No, in fact it's drastically different in style and control.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

Blabadon
Which is why Super Mario Galaxy got a 9.5 and Game of the Year and its sequel got a 10/10. Sure, GameSpot has it in for Nintendo.

how long ago were those reviews? Yeah as of late it seems they underrate most major nintendo titles (fire emblem, luigi's mansion etc)
Aparthide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Aparthide
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

Shinobishyguy

how long ago were those reviews? Yeah as of late it seems they underrate most major nintendo titles (fire emblem, luigi's mansion etc)

They do that with all games not just Nintendo. They just give out lower scores nowadays. And how did FE get underrated? It only scored like 6 points lower than the average review. Nothing significant. Sheep really are the worst fanboys there are
Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I don't read anything on Gamespot, but the Gamespot forums (System Wars to be precise), for a reason. They don't put out good material, but I like the people on the forums. Seriously, their output is terrible.

TilxWLOC
Wow I'm almost the same way. I am just so used to the Gamespot forums because I have been coming here since 2004. My default for content is Giantbomb these days.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Aparthide"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Which is why Super Mario Galaxy got a 9.5 and Game of the Year and its sequel got a 10/10. Sure, GameSpot has it in for Nintendo.

They do that with all games not just Nintendo. They just give out lower scores nowadays. And how did FE get underrated? It only scored like 6 points lower than the average review. Nothing significant. Sheep really are the worst fanboys there are

they seem to be doing it with nintendo more and more lately. hell their luigi's mansion review was a frigging joke.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

Shinobishyguy

Three years ago, by Tom McShea, who still reviews games here. Also, the Game of the Year award and the nomination that the second got was made as a staff decision, meaning that Kevin V, Petit, Watters, etc. were all part of it. Get over the Fire Emblem and LM reviews dude. They're simply a matter of opinion.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Which is why Super Mario Galaxy got a 9.5 and Game of the Year and its sequel got a 10/10. Sure, GameSpot has it in for Nintendo.Blabadon

Three years ago, by Tom McShea, who still reviews games here. Also, the Game of the Year award and the nomination that the second got was made as a staff decision, meaning that Kevin V, Petit, Watters, etc. were all part of it. Get over the Fire Emblem and LM reviews dude. They're simply a matter of opinion.

So are those.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] how long ago were those reviews? Yeah as of late it seems they underrate most major nintendo titles (fire emblem, luigi's mansion etc)Goyoshi12

So are those.

Feel free to elaborate on this seemingly moot response.
Aparthide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Aparthide
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Aparthide"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] how long ago were those reviews? Yeah as of late it seems they underrate most major nintendo titles (fire emblem, luigi's mansion etc)

they seem to be doing it with nintendo more and more lately. hell their luigi's mansion review was a frigging joke.

Yes Luigi's Mansion was a frigging joke but so was the Gravity Rush review so it balances out. Gamespot just consistently scores games lower than other reviewers. Sheep just seem to think it's only Nintendo games that get affected but it's not.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

I don't read anything on Gamespot, but the Gamespot forums (System Wars to be precise), for a reason. They don't put out good material, but I like the people on the forums. Seriously, their output is terrible.

TilxWLOC

I 100 percent agree with this.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Three years ago, by Tom McShea, who still reviews games here. Also, the Game of the Year award and the nomination that the second got was made as a staff decision, meaning that Kevin V, Petit, Watters, etc. were all part of it. Get over the Fire Emblem and LM reviews dude. They're simply a matter of opinion.Blabadon

So are those.

I'm bored.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

So are those.

Goyoshi12

I'm bored.

Me too.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#66 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises. carljohnson3456

How many more cartoons can they make?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#68 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
i prefer mario marioparty zelda ssb mariokart metroid kirby dkc sf kid icaris over 5 gow games 2 kz games and 1 gt fullgame
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#69 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises. StrongBlackVine

How many more cartoons can they make?

They need to do something different. That's my point. They should continue making Marios and what not, but give us something new. Hell the PS3 has survived this gen on new IP's like Resistance, Uncharted, LBP, and Heavy Rain. Imagine if they still only survived on their PS1 games.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Nintendo has the biggest stable of proven IPs in the world. As long as they continue to give is all new experiences, and they do, it doesn't matter what they do.charizard1605

Then why isn't the Wii U selling if it doesn't matter what they do?!:idea:

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Shinobishyguy

Get over the Fire Emblem and LM reviews dude. They're simply a matter of opinion.Blabadon
well no shit Sherlock, every review is a matter of opinion.

My point is they're consistently underrating every major 3ds exclusive. If it were just a few isolated cases I wouldn't pay it any mind, but this has been happening multiple times in a row. Hell the system's going on three years and it still hasn't gotten one AAA here.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Blabadon
I'm bored.Goyoshi12
Let's be bored together then pal.

My point is they're consistently underrating every major 3ds exclusive. If it were just a few isolated cases I wouldn't pay it any mind, but this has been happening multiple times in a row. Hell the system's going on three years and it still hasn't gotten one AAA here.

Shinobishyguy
Underrating the 3DS exclusives according to whom? What would count as a few isolated cases? Maybe they just feel the 3DS doesn't deserve any AAA games and the Vita does because of the quality of their games.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]I'm bored.Blabadon
Let's be bored together then pal.

Shinobishyguy
Underrating the 3DS exclusives according to whom? What would count as a few isolated cases? Maybe they just feel the 3DS doesn't deserve any AAA games and the Vita does because of the quality of their games.

So when the 3ds goes an entire generation without a single AAA here (but plenty on metacritic, other sites etc) you're not gonna notice that something is up?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Blabadon
Goddang, FE:A deserves a 10, according to me.
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises.

carljohnson3456

I don't know, I'd imagine they'll probably start on that stuff once their on solid ground,with Xenoblade doing well and other smaller 1st party titles like Pushmo getting good reception. Maybe that with this brought to one of their marketing heads they'll start giving successful developers freedom for new IPs that they'll push. X is probably Xenoblade 2, so I'm not expecting that to be a new IP, but they seem to be pushing it at this point possibly because of how well Xenoblade did.

This is more wishful thinking than anything, but it seems like, if a developer studio does well enough they start supporting their projects more(Retro/Monolith Soft), whether that's a new IP or not is probably the latter, but like I said, a lot of attention has been going to the lack of new IPs lately it might influence them. On the other hand a lot of people want new entries, and like stated earlier in the thread you can only keep so many people happy. Who do you think would be better to please, those who want you to add on to what you'd done, or those wh complain there is nothing new?

We'll see in the future, I suppose.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"] Let's be bored together then pal.

Shinobishyguy

So when the 3ds goes an entire generation without a single AAA here (but plenty on metacritic, other sites etc) you're not gonna notice that something is up?

Not at all, there's always a lengthy review written regarding what the issues were for the games at hand. Just because these guys are critics doesn't mean they have to line up with other critics, or even anywhere near them. If you disagree with the review's contents, that's another matter entirely, but the scores really mean nothing to me if someone feels that way. Also, lol at saying that something's up when 3DS games are still getting high scores here.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]So when the 3ds goes an entire generation without a single AAA here (but plenty on metacritic, other sites etc) you're not gonna notice that something is up?AznbkdX

Not at all, there's always a lengthy review written regarding what the issues were for the games at hand. Just because these guys are critics doesn't mean they have to line up with other critics, or even anywhere near them. If you disagree with the review's contents, that's another matter entirely, but the scores really mean nothing to me if someone feels that way. Also, lol at saying that something's up when 3DS games are still getting high scores here.

Well I don't buy games that get 7.5's on any random site. Thats just not my style and shows how crummy they are. Those reviews bum me out too much.

Thank goodness for video reviews.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Well I don't buy games that get 7.5's on any random site. Thats just not my style and shows how crummy they are. Those reviews bum me out too much.

AznbkdX

Yeah even 8's are pushing it. It needs to be AAA or nothing. Its just not cool to have any differing opinions from mine otherwise I go crazy.

AAA? Please. The only games I've played this generation are GTA4, MGS4, and SMG2.
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

Blabadon

Yeah even 8's are pushing it. It needs to be AAA or nothing. Its just not cool to have any differing opinions from mine otherwise I go crazy.

AAA? Please. The only games I've played this generation are GTA4, MGS4, and SMG2.

As funny as this all is, sometimes their reviews are poorly done, the Pokemon B2 and W2 was a case of judging it based on past games not on its own merits.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I always use reviews when arguing with people to find a middle ground but I never buy games based on reviews, never! With demos and Youtube who needs reviews anyway? Reviews these days are so hard to trust because of bribes and because reviewers don't even use the scale of 10 the right way so we end up with a bunch of games scoring 8s, 9s and 10s everywhere. The review system for games is broken and never will be fixed because of how much importance are publishers now putting on review scores which translate to much more pressure on the reviewer.

Unless you're a casual gamer you shouldn't care about scores so much beyond some SW ownage.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Thank goodness for video reviews.Blabadon

That's a really nice list. Mine is full of stupidity in comparison with all these games that the reviewers are claiming barely scratch my idea of perfection. Without them I wouldn't even know what is considered good, so I guess its fine.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TilxWLOC

I expected Tom, I saw Tom. Is this McShea? It's bad that I expected him in something negative for Nintendo.

SaltyMeatballs

Skyward Swords controls don't work, it's an impossible game.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
they said it themselves: they're still excellent games and a lot of fun.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

TilxWLOC

As funny as this all is, sometimes their reviews are poorly done, the Pokemon B2 and W2 was a case of judging it based on past games not on its own merits.

The only poorly done review that I can remember of them recently is Natural Selection 2, to the point where the game got a new review. I remember being asshurt about the Black 2/White 2 review and then actually reading the review and seeing that the reviewer backed up his/her points quite well, even if I didn't disagree with them. I don't really see how the reviewer (I'm just going with Ashton from now on) judged the game based on past games in any way that wasn't correct, especially because 1) Ashton liked the past games and said how they did stuff better than this game did, which is the mindset of how a millions of buyers were going with when buying Black 2/ White 2 2) It's a numbered sequel. It pretty much has to be judged off Ashton's past Pokemon games' experience in order to make its improvements seem significant at all. If it wasn't, some people (not saying you) would be mad about how the reviewer never played Pokemon before and is reviewing it. 3) Despite its numerous changes, the Pokemon series still stays very strong to its core. Judging it off past games is only logical in a series as unique as Pokemon. These are really my personal opinions on it, but I'd say they're more than logical given the game.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises. carljohnson3456
Because taking risks on new IP is way more important than delivering more of what people want to buy.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Blabadon
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

I expected Tom, I saw Tom. Is this McShea? It's bad that I expected him in something negative for Nintendo./QUOTE] Not to sound desperate to get this point across, but he gave Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10. I mean, c'mon.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

AznbkdX

Yeah there are some awkward ones to be sure, but everyone really needs to remember that they don't represent anything but just another opinion. No matter how awkward it is, or how wrong and misinformative, try not to take it personally nor judge anything off of reviews without further research.

Well, people are influenced by reviews, that's why they exist, so you'd expect them to be well thought-out. Doesn't matter to me personally, I don't trust anybody who gets paid for this sort of thing, like a journalists on websites like these, for my games. They can be pretty funny to read sometimes though.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Zeviander
Hell the PS3 has survived this gen on new IP's like Resistance, Uncharted, LBP, and Heavy Rain. Imagine if they still only survived on their PS1 games. carljohnson3456
New IP's that have seen more iterations in a single generation than 3D Mario platformers in the past 20 years.
SuddenlySudden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SuddenlySudden
Member since 2013 • 618 Posts

They do rely on nostalgia a lot but it's pretty much the only thing that's working for them right now so they shouldn't quit.

tryagainlater
Not Nintendo's fault that sheep love cartoons and strawberry princess Vs Evil Apple Army
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

I expected Tom, I saw Tom. Is this McShea? It's bad that I expected him in something negative for Nintendo.Blabadon

Not to sound desperate to get this point across, but he gave Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10. I mean, c'mon.

SMG2 is a great game, but that was in 2010, before he started trolling Nintendo fans with Skyward Sword. I guess he took the criticism too seriously and now just enjoys trolling Nintendo fans.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Gue1

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"] Hell the PS3 has survived this gen on new IP's like Resistance, Uncharted, LBP, and Heavy Rain. Imagine if they still only survived on their PS1 games. Zeviander
New IP's that have seen more iterations in a single generation than 3D Mario platformers in the past 20 years.

still new IPs and not to mention that this year we'll get 4 new ones: Knack, TLOU, Beyond, Drive Club and who knows what else they'll show at E3, maybe Last Guardian? Yet another new IP.   :cool:

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

I expected Tom, I saw Tom. Is this McShea? It's bad that I expected him in something negative for Nintendo.SaltyMeatballs

Not to sound desperate to get this point across, but he gave Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10. I mean, c'mon.

SMG2 is a great game, but that was in 2010, before he started trolling Nintendo fans with Skyward Sword. I guess he took the criticism too seriously and now just enjoys trolling Nintendo fans.

Dude. He gave it a 10. That's his only ten ever. There's been like, what, fourteen tens overall on this site? Say what you want about individual franchises, but the dude does not hate Nintendo.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Gue1

[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]It'd be crazy for Nintendo to drop Mario, Zelda, and the other flag ship titles. What Nintendo needs to do is get serious about creating new core games and franchises. Zeviander
Because taking risks on new IP is way more important than delivering more of what people want to buy.

it makes sense but I hope I don't ever see you in a thread complaining about COD or Sony milking their games. You lost that right by writing this comment.   ;)

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Gamespot proving their stupidity once again. 

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Zeviander
maybe Last Guardian? Yet another new IP.Gue1
Last Guardian is not a new IP, it is set in the ICO universe. It is also vapourware.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Gue1

they said it themselves: they're still excellent games and a lot of fun.BrunoBRS

just like COD games...  Excellent and very fun.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Zeviander
it makes sense but I hope I don't ever see you in a thread complaining about COD or Sony milking their games. You lost that right by writing this comment. Gue1
Actually, I can complain about Sony milking their games... because they barely change anything in each iteration.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#98 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]they said it themselves: they're still excellent games and a lot of fun.Gue1

just like COD games...  Excellent and very fun.

nono CoD games are very bad remember? the internet's logic never wrong!

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Get over the Fire Emblem and LM reviews dude. They're simply a matter of opinion.Shinobishyguy

Not that I give a shit about gamespot eviews anymore, but the fact that I agree with Shinobishyguy about something is worrysome. 

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#100 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] Not to sound desperate to get this point across, but he gave Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10. I mean, c'mon.

Dude. He gave it a 10. That's his only ten ever. There's been like, what, fourteen tens overall on this site? Say what you want about individual franchises, but the dude does not hate Nintendo.

That has nothing to do with what I said, as I said SMG2 was before the Skyward Sword bullshlt. Anyway, I am clearly talking about him trolling fans. I didn't say he dislikes Nintendo, but he likes to annoy Nintendo fans.