GameSpot is pathetic

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystikef
Member since 2003 • 5125 Posts

Visiting this website makes me cringe now, and as you can see from my level, I have been a frequent visitor.

I feel sorry for all the editors we know and love that now have to work in a cut-throat enviornment while they are forced to sell-out to advertisers and compromise everything they believed in.

GameSpot has ZERO journalistic integrity and their reviews can no longer be trusted. Jeff was the last person who could stand up for honesty and integrity. The suits won and everyone else loses.

I hope more of you consider dropping your accounts and visiting other sites until GameSpot (corporate) makes a sincere appology and tries to right the "ultimate wrong" a media company can make: Purposely lying to its members tosatisfy sponsers.

To all the mods that will lock this and every other thread... you are no longer part of an amazing website, but just a soldier in the corporate wh0re-house doing the bidding of the suits. Why are you still doing it? Don't you have any respect for what GameSpot used to be? It will take ALL of us to revolt if we ever want to see the website we loved back again.

SHAME on GameSpot

SHAME on CNET

SHAME on Eidos

Avatar image for deactivated-645e897010df8
deactivated-645e897010df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-645e897010df8
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?
-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts

Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?Nemme

I think what he is implying is that If it happened to one review, what's to say i couldnt have happened to others? Or it wont become a trend?

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts
I'm starting to think all the posters against Jeff are just Eidos suits trying to protect their name. Like that PSP website by that "guy" who kept saying it was "So awsome, go buy it now" using "hip" lingo.
Avatar image for deactivated-645e897010df8
deactivated-645e897010df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-645e897010df8
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts

[QUOTE="Nemme"]Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?-Serpahim-

I think what he is implying is that If it happened to one review, what's to say i couldnt have happened to others? Or it wont become a trend?

Common sense tells me they wouldn't dare doing it again.

-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts
[QUOTE="-Serpahim-"]

[QUOTE="Nemme"]Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?Nemme

Money can buy common sense :P

Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystikef

[QUOTE="Nemme"]Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?-Serpahim-

Exactly. Everyone did not agree with Jeff's reviews, but he FORCED honesty by not letting the editorial staff take ANY gifts, games, bribes, or any other payment beofre reviewing a game. Jeff was the last person with power at GameSpot that kept HONESTY AND INTEGRITY at the website. CNET fired him for it.

When the suit in charge of GameSpot says that big games with big advertisers need "special attention" and they fire the one person who was ADAMENT about giving honest reviews despite the advertising dollars for the game, then GameSpot reviews can NO LONGER be trusted. It is over. They were caught red-handed breaking the one big jopurnalistic taboo: Purposely lying to fill pockets. GameSpot now sits in the ranks of The National Enquirer, and other slop publications that will say anything if it brings them more money. Pathetic.

wisdomWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wisdomWarrior
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts

Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?Nemme

That is what he is implying and he would be totally correct in doing so.

The facts which have been exposed brings the entire website and ALL of its reviews into disrepute. This is obvious. Gamespot need to do something to fix this but who knows what?--the damage appears to be done.

wisdomWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wisdomWarrior
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts
[QUOTE="-Serpahim-"]

[QUOTE="Nemme"]Are you implying that because it happend to 1 review, it happens with every single one of them?Nemme

you're kidding right?

tccavey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tccavey2
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

Yeah gamespot is done... No review can be trusted

FancyKetchup25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FancyKetchup25
Member since 2006 • 3007 Posts
Dude On the spot is gonna suck so bad now, first they lost Rich, now Jeff, whos next Ryan?
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts

What he's saying is that it should never happen to 1 review and that doing such a thing as what they did is reaching the bottom of a bottemless pit for lows on a review site.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#15 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
If it wasn't for these forums, I definitely wouldn't have an account anyway. That said, this whole thing is totally unacceptable. Those behind it need to justify their actions, and soon I hope.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#16 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Dude On the spot is gonna suck so bad now, first they lost Rich, now Jeff, whos next Ryan?FancyKetchup25
That's one of things that bothers me the most.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
IT IS CNET, not GAMESPOT. GAMESPOT is the victim here. If gamespot went with it, why did Kane and Lynch get a 6? Use some logic people.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

we have no idea how far back this goes. For all we know this site has always been subject to a sponsor's wishes. It's just public now.

PS. I saw Jeff's video review on dugged dot com and I can see CNET's point to an extent. It is a strange situation where a game publisher pays for ads all over the site and then the review for the game condesendingly calls the game "ugly" over and over. He could have been nicer to the game, although he says some nice things about it as well. I disagree about him being fired over it though

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
if you dont like it leave
badgert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 badgert
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Visiting this website makes me cringe now, and as you can see from my level, I have been a frequent visitor.

I feel sorry for all the editors we know and love that now have to work in a cut-throat enviornment while they are forced to sell-out to advertisers and compromise everything they believed in.

GameSpot has ZERO journalistic integrity and their reviews can no longer be trusted. Jeff was the last person who could stand up for honesty and integrity. The suits won and everyone else loses.

I hope more of you consider dropping your accounts and visiting other sites until GameSpot (corporate) makes a sincere appology and tries to right the "ultimate wrong" a media company can make: Purposely lying to its members tosatisfy sponsers.

To all the mods that will lock this and every other thread... you are no longer part of an amazing website, but just a soldier in the corporate wh0re-house doing the bidding of the suits. Why are you still doing it? Don't you have any respect for what GameSpot used to be? It will take ALL of us to revolt if we ever want to see the website we loved back again.

SHAME on GameSpot

SHAME on CNET

SHAME on Eidos

Mystikef

AMEN TO THAT!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Yeah because n o other game sites are influenced by advertisers dollars. Lets see...hmmm..I wonder how those sites pay the bills and payroll?
Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mystikef

IT IS CNET, not GAMESPOT. GAMESPOT is the victim here. If gamespot went with it, why did Kane and Lynch get a 6? Use some logic people.lettuceman44

It is not the individual people or editors at GameSpot... we all know that. It is GameSpot corporate and CNET. They have made it clear that things will be done their way - the dishonest money-grubbing way. Jeff was honest and loved gaming. He was fired for it. Do you think the other editors, who were under Jeff, have any say on GameSpot policy? No. They are in as crappy of a situation as us gamers. Except crappier... because their livelyhood is on the line.

Idonomeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Idonomeus
Member since 2006 • 2273 Posts

we have no idea how far back this goes. For all we know this site has always been subject to a sponsor's wishes. It's just public now.

GunSmith1_basic

Yeah what are the chances that the first time a sponsor uses it's influence just happens to be first time they get caught out? Sure, it's the first time someone has got fired and this lead to us finding out about the influence these publishers have but the first time it's happened? Sorry, I'm not the naive or gullible.