Gamespot/Cnet Rips on the Kinect 2.0 (vs PS4 cam)

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Ask The Experts: Kinect vs PS4 Camera

Are you ready to use your voice to control the new generation of consoles? They might not listen to you. Jeff and Peter breakdown how well the Kinect and PS4 camera are able to track your movement, voice, and more.

"Kinect is not that reliable when there's other chatter going on..." Well, Duh for this part...

"I'm sick of people giving it a pass..."It doesn't really work but when it does it's like it's from the future..." Where else would that be ok....It's like the car doesn't always start but when it does..."

"There seems to be a lot of code to deal with when working with the Kinect. With Playstation 4 it's more seamless and natural and that's what I want..."

Not looking good for the Kinect. I think they might have been a little more picky and hard on the kinect due to the fact that it's the reason there's an extra 100$ price on for the Xbone and maybe they expect a little more bang-for-buck...

Not really a fan of cameras either way. I think they're a gimmick. The playroom would be nice to test with my little cousins and nephews but that's about it....

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Its still early days.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I've played around with the X1 and it's voice commands and I've found if your not saying exactly what it wants to hear your not going to be able to navigate it that well. If you say "Xbox" it starts listening if you want to snap something say "xbox snap" the options for snap come up and if you say "TV" it will snap it , but if you just go and say "xbox snap tv" its hit or miss on whether it's gonna do it or not. It's kinda like the cars that have the same features, I've figured out what I can and can't say to get it to do something. It's not Siri, you can't just talk to it...yet

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@xxyetixx:

you cant talk to it but it is always listening, always watching

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan1
BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattlefieldFan1
Member since 2012 • 841 Posts

LOL...

Another $2+ billion R&D for Microsoft to get an inferior product to $10 mill R&D for SONY... ROFL...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I didn't even realize the PS4 had voice commands

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib

@xxyetixx said:

I've played around with the X1 and it's voice commands and I've found if your not saying exactly what it wants to hear your not going to be able to navigate it that well. If you say "Xbox" it starts listening if you want to snap something say "xbox snap" the options for snap come up and if you say "TV" it will snap it , but if you just go and say "xbox snap tv" its hit or miss on whether it's gonna do it or not. It's kinda like the cars that have the same features, I've figured out what I can and can't say to get it to do something. It's not Siri, you can't just talk to it...yet

It sounds like it has to hear and process each command before moving to the next step. It's not like Siri/Google Now which hears the full thing and then runs the full command

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattlefieldFan1

@lostrib said:

Yup. $10 million in R&D and utterly annihilates $2+ Billion in R&D for Kinect... ROFLROFLROFL...

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Lol, sorry but kinect works so much better than the ps4 camera that its not even fair to compare the ps4 camera. Its not perfect, but i'd estimate mine reads 90% of the time with light chatter in the room. What did they expect though? I want them to sho wme any voice recognition tech that can work 100% during a classroom of kids talking.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BattlefieldFan1

@Phazevariance said:

Lol, sorry but kinect works so much better than the ps4 camera that its not even fair to compare the ps4 camera. Its not perfect, but i'd estimate mine reads 90% of the time with light chatter in the room. What did they expect though? I want them to sho wme any voice recognition tech that can work 100% during a classroom of kids talking.

Nope. Microsoft doesn't have genius engineers like SONY does. Just average schmoos from Alcohol State University.

Even with the billions in R&D, Microsoft will make an inferior product to SONY and SONY hardly spends anything on R&D... LOL

First the APU and now the camera. LOL...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@lostrib said:

Yup. $10 million in R&D and utterly annihilates $2+ Billion in R&D for Kinect... ROFLROFLROFL...

hyperbole much?

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattlefieldFan1

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@lostrib said:

hyperbole much?

Just how much do you think SONY spent on camera R&D? They didn't even include it in their retail box. It's a fancy gimmick for SONY, not an intended system seller like Kinect was supposed to be for the Xbone.

I doubt R&D budget for the PS4 cam surpassed $10 million. Kinect has been cited to have cost billions in R&D.

This is why having geniuses matter. 1 genius is worth more than a trillion mediocre minds. Breakthroughs are made by sole geniuses, not by a team of average people. SONY has Cerny, Microsoft has average engineers. That's why SONY trumped MS in APU design and camera tech even with a few million in R&D while Microsoft spent close to $6 billion in total R&D for the Xbone... LOL... I can't stop but laugh at MS' incompetence.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@lostrib said:

@xxyetixx said:

It sounds like it has to hear and process each command before moving to the next step. It's not like Siri/Google Now which hears the full thing and then runs the full command

This would have been so much better for the Kinect to work much more smoothly.

PS4 does not require the camera to do voice commands, you can use your headset. But, I don't care about voice navigation anyway.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lostrib

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@lostrib said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@lostrib said:

hyperbole much?

Just how much do you think SONY spent on camera R&D? They didn't even include it in their retail box. It's a fancy gimmick for SONY, not an intended system seller like Kinect was supposed to be for the Xbone.

I doubt R&D budget for the PS4 cam surpassed $10 million. Kinect has been cited to have cost billions in R&D.

This is why having geniuses matter. 1 genius is worth more than a trillion mediocre minds. Breakthroughs are made by sole geniuses, not by a team of average people. SONY has Cerny, Microsoft has average engineers. That's why SONY trumped MS in APU design and camera tech even with a few million in R&D while Microsoft spent close to $6 billion in total R&D for the Xbone... LOL... I can't stop but laugh at MS' incompetence.

so you're just making up numbers now. No wonder no one takes you seriously

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

Pretty sad

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@John_Matherson:

1. For a lot of people - myself included, the voice commands on XB1 work about 95% of the time.
  2. The XB1 has 4 times the number of voice commands than the PS4.
  3. They did not mention how the PS4's voice recognition is worthless if there are other people in the room.
  4. They said the Kinect camera and apps available was better than the PS4 eye

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@xxyetixx:

you cant talk to it but it is always listening, always watching

Yes but apparently it can't understand what you're saying.

"Johnson I'm looking at the report from the Kinect data center and apparently a lot of our users are asking kinect to 'Botch CD' and 'Mo Roan.' Is there some type of trend we're missing out on."

"I don't know let me call the Kinect data Center. Kinect please monitor and correlate use of the phrases 'Botch CD' and 'Mo Roan.'"

*Understood Mr Johnson you want a pizza from Dominos with extra pineapples. Ordering*

".................what?"

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Odd Kinect works extremely well for me. I will be bringing in some fire wood or starting a fire for example and tell it to play music or watch tv or change channel or volume up or down just fine.

No contest imo

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BattlefieldFan1

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

1. For a lot of people - myself included, the voice commands on XB1 work about 95% of the time.
  3. They did not mention how the PS4's voice recognition is worthless if there are other people in the room.

68% of the time is more accurate.

The PS4's voice recognition system is more "intelligent" and robust. It's more seamless and integrated well into the OS allowing a far more streamlined and better experience than the Kinect.

Cerny destroys Microsofts' engineering team.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattlefieldFan1

@YD_11 said:

Odd Kinect works extremely well for me. I will be bringing in some fire wood or starting a fire for example and tell it to play music or watch tv or change channel or volume up or down just fine.

No contest imo

PS4's is better.

Cerny > Microsoft engineers

1 genius > 1 trillion mediocre minds

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StormyJoe

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

The PS4's voice recognition system is more "intelligent" and robust. It's more seamless and integrated well into the OS allowing a far more streamlined and better experience than the Kinect.

You are such a fanboy tool, dude. You have no fricken idea what you are talking about because you have never even played on an Xbox One.

If you don't know what you are talking about, keep your pie hole closed. Cows like you give Sony fans a bad name.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Seriously kid???? Lay off the crack loser.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

It sure doesn't work for me very well when switching channels, starting games or launch an app. About the only thing it works reasonably well with for me is turning the system on and off.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 John_Matherson

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

You are such a fanboy tool, dude. You have no fricken idea what you are talking about because you have never even played on an Xbox One.

If you don't know what you are talking about, keep your pie hole closed. Cows like you give Sony fans a bad name.

Oh boy, here we go.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingtito

@John_Matherson said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Oh boy, here we go.

Melt down time?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@Phazevariance said:

Nope. Microsoft doesn't have genius engineers like SONY does.

lol.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

It works about 85% of the time for me. I don't have my TV hooked up to it. I need to learn more commands.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

bu-bu-bu dat innovation, think of da innovation!!!!!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

XBone: It only does nothing.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By John_Matherson

@kingtito said:

@John_Matherson said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Oh boy, here we go.

Melt down time?

aa Try being less predictable

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kingtito

@John_Matherson: Why? Your meltdowns are becoming legendary.

KKFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KKFF
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

PS4 seems to work better with voice commands than the Xbone

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@kingtito said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Seriously kid???? Lay off the crack loser.

He meant that the PS4's voice recognition system is more intelligent then him...That's not really saying that much since the text box in these forums is more intelligent then brofists...I mean BattlefieldFan1

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

At least for myself, 68% is lowballing. Every day when I get home from work I'm still able to say "Xbox On" and "Xbox Go To TV" and it does it straight away and while I'm walking around KInect will recognize me and sign me into my profile.

The "Xbox On" command can be a fickle bitch in that - this is my observation again - my voice in the morning is raspy and the Kinect usually won't recognize it on the first utterance of the phrase, but will recognize the phrase when I get home and my voice isn't raspy.

So far the only thing I've noticed about Kinect that I don't particularly enjoy is that it will pick up ambient noises from a loud TV or game and bring up its command prompt onto the screen - especially when playing YouTube videos (it does this probably once ever 10-15 seconds for me).This may be because my Kinect is only 1 - 1 1/2 feet from my central speaker in my surround sound...which might be the cause of this whole mess, my damn good surround sound.

--Anywho, thats my $.02

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Sony and their 'meetoo' mentality.

Sony Fan pretending like they have The One.

People actually forget that Siri was absolutely terrible when it first came out and now is the supposed standard bearer for VC.

VC on Kinect 2.0 is awesome for me. That probably has more to do though with how much time and energy I have actually put in learning how to use it.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BattlefieldFan1

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Yeah. I'm a "fanboy tool" who's riding SONY's dick when I was primarily a 360 gamer last-gen. No, little kid, I'm objective and I have no emotional or financial investment in either company. That said, I can say that the Xbone is inferior to the PS4 in every metric. SONY did everything right this gen. Microsoft messed everything up including their controller.

Furthermore, the results that have transpired recently have shown that Cerny's brilliance is limitless. He has single-handedly crushed Microsoft's Xbox Department's ENTIRE engineering team even when the enemy was funded through the f*cking roof. I bet Microsoft spent more on Xbone R&D than the amount of cash SONY as a whole has left in their bank account. The APU alone for the Xbone cost $3 billion. Considering the financial circumstances SONY is facing, it is doubtful that PS4's R&D cost more than $50 million. Yet, Cerny was able to trounce Microsoft.

As a fanboy, you might be crying and raging at Microsoft's incompetence, but anyone looking at this industry with an unbiased eye can do nothing but awe at Cerny's accomplishment.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingtito

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Yeah. I'm a "fanboy tool" who's riding SONY's dick when I was primarily a 360 gamer last-gen. No, little kid, I'm objective and I have no emotional or financial investment in either company. That said, I can say that the Xbone is inferior to the PS4 in every metric. SONY did everything right this gen. Microsoft messed everything up including their controller.

Furthermore, the results that have transpired recently have shown that Cerny's brilliance is limitless. He has single-handedly crushed Microsoft's Xbox Department's ENTIRE engineering team even when the enemy was funded through the f*cking roof. I bet Microsoft spent more on Xbone R&D than the amount of cash SONY as a whole has left in their bank account. The APU alone for the Xbone cost $3 billion. Considering the financial circumstances SONY is facing, it is doubtful that PS4's R&D cost more than $50 million. Yet, Cerny was able to trounce Microsoft.

As a fanboy, you might be crying and raging at Microsoft's incompetence, but anyone looking at this industry with an unbiased eye can do nothing but awe at Cerny's accomplishment.

You are FAR from objective. Everything you post and i mean EVERYTHING is just bashing the XOne. You don't bash off experience but for the sake of bashing just because you don't like MS.

You're not fooling anyone with the "I'm objective" shit, especially when looking at your posting history. GTFO with that crap kid.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@BattlefieldFan1: lol unbiased? U don't count yourself right? It only takes a min to see u don't just perfer the ps4 u are obsessed with hate towards the xbox.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Sony and their 'meetoo' mentality.

Sony Fan pretending like they have The One.

People actually forget that Siri was absolutely terrible when it first came out and now is the supposed standard bearer for VC.

VC on Kinect 2.0 is awesome for me. That probably has more to do though with how much time and energy I have actually put in learning how to use it.

You shouldn't have to invest time and energy into it. It should be intuitive and easy like the commercials and fake demos make it out to be.

BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BattlefieldFan1

@kingtito said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

You are FAR from objective. Everything you post and i mean EVERYTHING is just bashing the XOne. You don't bash off experience but for the sake of bashing just because you don't like MS.

You're not fooling anyone with the "I'm objective" shit, especially when looking at your posting history. GTFO with that crap kid.

Only a tool gobbling Ballmer's sweaty nutsack could possibly think that everything MS has done leading up to this gen has been anything BUT incompetent.

It's the fact that I'm not a fanboy that makes me criticize Microsoft in the same way I criticized SONY for the CELL garbage last-gen. Microsoft made stupid decisions this gen and I'm criticizing them. That's not being a fanboy. Defending them and turning a blind eye to their failures like what you're doing is what fanboys do.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Getting the voice commands to work regularly takes alot of practice, an its definitely spotty when there is alot of background noise.

I think the main problem is the OS on the X1 just seems to randomly chug for no reason, and can cause delayed wakeup commands when you say xbox... which in turn I think causes it to start listening midway through the command causing it to fail. The alternative is to speak with pauses between individual parts of the voice command, but thats annoying, especially when you only have to do that when the system is being a bitch.

But I think its fair to say "when it works, its great". Because it is great when it works. If im watching TV or movies now i loathe having to pick up the controller now.

Im sure updates will make the OS run smoother which will fix alot of the problems, and im sure there is a good amount of refinement to be had with the voice recognition software. But even in its current, and less than ideal form, the IR blaster/voice commands have been a great addition to the entertainment center.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@lostrib: yes that's exactly it, you say it almost command by command it works great but when you string one huge command out at once it can miss. I just think some kids thought they were gonna be talking to their Xbox like tony stark talks to Jarvis or something

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

lol non-gaming perephirals.

Rift > that shit

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingtito

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@kingtito said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

Only a tool gobbling Ballmer's sweaty nutsack could possibly think that everything MS has done leading up to this gen has been anything BUT incompetent.

It's the fact that I'm not a fanboy that makes me criticize Microsoft in the same way I criticized SONY for the CELL garbage last-gen. Microsoft made stupid decisions this gen and I'm criticizing them. That's not being a fanboy. Defending them and turning a blind eye to their failures like what you're doing is what fanboys do.

No kid, you're not just bashing some of the mistakes they've made, you're bashing EVERYTHING they do, good or bad. Basically, you're trolling.

Hell in this very thread you're bashing Kinect for the PS4 eye toy even though you've probably never used either. That's not being objective, that's being a troll.

You start troll threads, create new troll accounts and expect people to believe you're objective? Bwahahahaha like I said, GTFO

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

so you replace the minor aggravation of a remote with a major aggravation of kinect. Yipee

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StormyJoe

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@BattlefieldFan1 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@John_Matherson:

I am neither a kid nor little. Secondly, I am having a real hard time believing you were a 360 gamer last gen.

And, once you get past your first paragraph, your "Sony dick riding" shows it's "head" right away. I have read almost all of your posts - you are a 100% moo-cow, to the point that your inane threads that you start routinely get locked for being so out of left field in your Sony love.

You are a super-cow, with zero credibility.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

TLHBO

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

It will never be reliable, it was marketed as being a 1:1 experience. It isn't. That should have raised warning flags from the start. MS spent too much money investing in it in the 360 era because they ran out of games for the hardcore. The XB1 was no doubt built solely around the kinect first before anything else. It's therefore shoe horned in in a certain way that you HAVE to use it. Pretty sneaky trick by MS there. The fighter Within pretty much shows what the future of Kinect gaming will be, a lot like that battalion game that was just as unresponsive and dire. It's just an expensive remote and will never be suitable for gaming, voice commands how ever are a different story....when they work first time.