GameSpot alternative take review of Lightning Returns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Well, not so much an alternative take as Chris didn't think it was a good game either; he thought it was worse.

Anyway, while LR doesn't sound like a good game by any means, he probably should have at least finished it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
@GreySeal9 said:

Well, not so much an alternative take as Chris didn't think it was a good game either; he thought it was worse.

Anyway, while LR doesn't sound like a good game by any means, he probably should have at least finished it.

I think if anyone should review anything, the golden rule is at least finish the main story

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreySeal9

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

I think if anyone should review anything, the golden rule is at least finish the main story

Agreed.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I truly wish S-E would tone down the horrendous stylization shell they wrap their gameplay in (concerning FFXIII saga). Turn down the wonky anime sh*t and stick to the stylizations of earlier FF titles (any previous game was far more tolerable - more worlds along the lines of VI, VIII, IX, and X please).

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Why the hell did he choose this game to be his gateway Final Fantasy? I call foul play, why would anyone start on the third sequel to one of the worst reputed games in the series? What was going on through the author's mind, I have no idea. I mean, Bravely Default released almost at the same time, why didn't you choose the more well received one? Or check out FFX-X-2?

This waste of time has been provided to you by GameSpot.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@GreySeal9 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Agreed.

I don't know if they have even that requirement for this site. Which worries me a lot

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

so he never played the previous FFXIII games that LR's story is based on, and he didn't even finish the game, well, at least he was honest about it

well, I enjoyed the previous two games, so I'm eventually gonna play this, there were haters then and whatever mechanisms of human behavior that push us to conformity didn't stop me from enjoying them

anyhow, if it does bad that just means it'll go cheap quicker

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Let's be honest here. The XIII saga was like runny shit that made your socks soggy. No one should have to reach the finish line like that. Sometimes, terribad is terribad and FFXIII is that game.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Basinboy said:

I truly wish S-E would tone down the horrendous stylization shell they wrap their gameplay in (concerning FFXIII saga). Turn down the wonky anime sh*t and stick to the stylizations of earlier FF titles (any previous game was far more tolerable - more worlds along the lines of VI, VIII, IX, and X please).

It can't even be classified as just wacky anime shit, because honestly what square has achieved with their "art style," in the 13 series particularly when it comes to characters is just bat shit crazy mixed with multicolored half off day at the Thrift Shop.

It's like they studied up on Harajuku style or some other awful shit and decided to go with that. FF has always had crazy designed characters with the tamest probably being ff7 and 8.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Its a JRPG... Ofcourse he didn't like it.

Final Fantasy XIII was my 1st JRPG.

My whole view on the genre is based on that.

I know its wrong. But its right.... :)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Basinboy said:

It can't even be classified as just wacky anime shit, because honestly what square has achieved with their "art style," in the 13 series particularly when it comes to characters is just bat shit crazy mixed with multicolored half off day at the Thrift Shop.

It's like they studied up on Harajuku style or some other awful shit and decided to go with that. FF has always had crazy designed characters with the tamest probably being ff7 and 8.

LOL. One can only hope that demographic is in recession.

But you start to get where designs like these came from:

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#12 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

You disappoint me, Chris.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh look. He only described the Gameplay in just three paragraphs. And even then It explained very little.

Just thought that was weird because this is a video game review. Watching cutscenes isn't all the difficult to grasp. And yet 90 percent of the review is about the story.

Which he didn't even finnish !

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

That's just mean... for this awful title, anyways. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Honestly, I didn't find the review to be very well written. He mentions the flaws, yes, but doesn't elaborate on why it makes the game so weak. The problems listed under "the bad" seem like they could be forgivable with all the info he gave about them. To me, it seemed like he was just listing them off without really explaining why the issues he mentioned dragged the game down so much.

Also, finish the damn game. You can't really review a game until you've beaten the main story at the very least. I did that once, I regret it now. That's something really shitty user review writers do, not professionals.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I guess it's good to have a unbiased opinion, but starting with the third in a trilogy doesn't make sense.

I laughed at the pro for architecture though. That's really stretching the compliments.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

He called it poor. After beating it and putting 60hrs in its far far away from a poor game.Just cant agree with his opinion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

He called it poor. After beating it and putting 60hrs in its far far away from a poor game.

In your opinion. In his opinion, it's a poor game.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finalfantasy94

@GreySeal9 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

He called it poor. After beating it and putting 60hrs in its far far away from a poor game.

In your opinion. In his opinion, it's a poor game.

Well I did edit my post :p.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

Why the hell did he choose this game to be his gateway Final Fantasy? I call foul play, why would anyone start on the third sequel to one of the worst reputed games in the series? What was going on through the author's mind, I have no idea. I mean, Bravely Default released almost at the same time, why didn't you choose the more well received one? Or check out FFX-X-2?

This waste of time has been provided to you by GameSpot.

I guess he wanted to try one of the newer mainline FF titles. Though with FF13 being better received then LR surprised he didint go there since its part of a triliogy.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it is really a shitty game, specially at the beginning searching them numbers on the wall

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Easiest thing to notice with a shit load of videogame reviewers.

You learn quickly what kind of sites actually finish the game vs they get to a point of "well my mind is made up, nothing significant can happen from here".

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

What a waste of time.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

It is a little weird to me that he's reviewing the third game in a trilogy without playing the first two. On the other hand by all accounts the plot in LR is shit so maybe that doesn't matter.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I tried to play the game but couldn't get past the first CGI cut-scene. It's that bad... This is one game that only a hardcore weaboo or a delusional Square fan would be able to enjoy. Easily the worst in the trilogy.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

I enjoyed the game for the most part. I give the game a 7 out of 10. I hated the pacing to the game and the learning curve with the time limit made it hard till the end when I realized I had a lot of time left. Some of the mechanics of accessories and shemata I didn't understand fully till the end either, but the game is built for multiple playthroughs so it made the second more fun.

Honestly though, the game also suffers from offering dumb long conversation quests.The same thing that Xenoblade did which imo hurt the pacing.I think S-E should really start making games the way they want to and "not" listen to the fanbase. I feel that this game resulted in what S-E thought the fans wanted ie:" A town, big open world, and quest". I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII a lot, others did not. Just move on. I liked it more when Square just pushed the games they loved and were happy about it.One of the reasons why I'm glad Nomura is directing Final Fantasy XV

on topic, I don't see why someone would allow a newcomer to review this game. Let alone do it twice.It would make more sense with a popular reviewed game.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

If he put 20 hours into a game and wasn't having a good time at all, then why keep playing? Why should he subject himself to more in hopes that it will get better? If a game isn't any fun or interesting after 20 hours of play, then that is a solid reason to post a review and tell others that the game should not be purchased. Even if the next 20 hours turned out to be amazing, it doesn't change the fact that it takes 20 hours of awfulness to get there.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

You learn quickly what kind of sites actually finish the game vs they get to a point of "well my mind is made up, nothing significant can happen from here".

Which is why the review should be edited and redone.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 finalfantasy94

@Gue1 said:

I tried to play the game but couldn't get past the first CGI cut-scene. It's that bad... This is one game that only a hardcore weaboo or a delusional Square fan would be able to enjoy. Easily the worst in the trilogy.

wow what a mature comment. Putting down anyone els who likes a game you dont.Also since you couldint get pass the first CGI cutscene doesint that mean you didint even play it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Hannibal! Good choice.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#31  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@Gue1:

That post is so full of stupid.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#32 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Starting off with the second sequel of the thirteenth game in the main franchise is funny as ****.

Still, I'm not convinced it's all doom and gloom with this game. DarkLink made it sound interesting enough otherwise.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I gotta give him credit for putting up with 20 hours of an obviously shit game.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

If he put 20 hours into a game and wasn't having a good time at all, then why keep playing? Why should he subject himself to more in hopes that it will get better? If a game isn't any fun or interesting after 20 hours of play, then that is a solid reason to post a review and tell others that the game should not be purchased. Even if the next 20 hours turned out to be amazing, it doesn't change the fact that it takes 20 hours of awfulness to get there.

Because it's unprofessional.

If it's a player review from someone who isn't being paid, that's fine, but it's his job to review a game. He should see it to the end, regardless of how bad it is.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Agreed.

what if its sooo bad that they couldnt????

ive had a couple of those in my lifetime

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I miss those days when ff games were must buy

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@jsmoke03: Then he shouldn't be writing the review.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

While i havent played Lighting Returns yet but LOL let me know when GS actually knows how to review a game.