GamesIndustry.biz: Sony brings backwards compatibility with Gaikai

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-01-sony-brings-backwards-compatibility-to-playstation-with-gaikai-deal

Excerpt of Article:

First and third-party games to be streamed to hardware

Sony's rumoured cloud gaming deal with Gaikai is to allow current-generation hardware to play PlayStation 2 and PSone games via a streaming solution,GamesIndustry Internationalunderstands.

According to sources, the service will offer first-party games and be open to third-party publishers to sell back catalogue to players. The partnership is likely to be announced at E3 next week as part of Sony's conference on Monday.

GamesIndustrybiz

So this is another rumour circulating regarding Sony's deal with a cloud-gaming company. What does SW think?

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
My launch ps3 is better.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

So No PS3?

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 casharmy

My launch ps3 is better. Fizzman

yeah being able to play the games i already have with no hassle>this other option.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Surprised more than anything that it is with Gaikai, and not Online. Don't really see the point, when any PS3 can play PS1 games and PS2 games on the PSN store. If you have to buy them again to stream them, then what is the point?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

So you are just rebuying PS1/PS2 games you bought already.This isn't backwards compatibility, they are just reselling old games to you over the cloud.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

So you are just rebuying PS1/PS2 games you bought already.This isn't backwards compatibility, they are just reselling old games to you over the cloud.

heretrix

Exactly what I was going to say, who in their right mind would consider this backwards compatibility.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

So Sony decides to do this when this gen almost finished?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
It wouldn't be bad if it was new PSN+ feature announcement (as in, it's FREE with PSN+). Actually that would be a pretty awesome perk to go with PSN+ along with cloud saving on regular games (and they need to go from 150MB to like 250MB or even 1GB on that). However I don't think I would actually pay for this thing on it's own, so unless it's FREE then it's a bit of a "who cares" announcement.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
That is NOT backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility would be me popping in my PS2 games into my PS3 and playing them.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#11 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Unless their tech is epically improved from Onlive, this doesn't sound all that attractive.

Though I suppose it's easier for them to make video of PS2 games not look like garbage.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Surprised more than anything that it is with Gaikai, and not Online. Don't really see the point, when any PS3 can play PS1 games and PS2 games on the PSN store. If you have to buy them again to stream them, then what is the point? BibiMaghoo

the point is that now devs doesn't have to put any work in converting the game to work on the PS3, so the process of adding new games will be faster and cheaper. But to tell you the true I don't like the idea of paying for a game that will be stored in a far away server that when it goes or when I don't have an internet collection I will not be able to play it. Sony always come up with the worst ideas....

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
That is NOT backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility would be me popping in my PS2 games into my PS3 and playing them.AmazonTreeBoa
you could if sony would release the software emulation profiles they are using for the current ps2 classics line.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
I hope this is some sort of subscription, rather than pay per title. A netflix-esque service with PS1/PS2 library would be good. Cloud-streaming isn't that bad, and the tech is rapidly improving. I'd imagine that my internet connection at present would handle it.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Surprised more than anything that it is with Gaikai, and not Online. Don't really see the point, when any PS3 can play PS1 games and PS2 games on the PSN store. If you have to buy them again to stream them, then what is the point? Gue1

the point is that now devs doesn't have to put any work in converting the game to work on the PS3, so the process of adding new games will be faster and cheaper. But to tell you the true I don't like the idea of paying for a game that will be stored in a far away server that when it goes or when I don't have an internet collection I will not be able to play it. Sony always come up with the worst ideas....

then get use to it buddy, sooner or later cloud gaming is going to take over physical media. Its already happening with dvd's and blu-rays

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

DeadMan1290
If it works well, I could see this transferring to the next console as well.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
My launch ps3 is better. Fizzman
this
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Unless there is some way to put in a physical PS2 game I already own and then play it over the streaming, this is a joke, and a double insult that they have not just developed an emulator by now and released it for free. Good grief, if Microsoft can emulate original xbox games on 360 then the PS3 should have no trouble powering through some PS2 games.

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Unless there is some way to put in a physical PS2 game I already own and then play it over the streaming, this is a joke, and a double insult that they have not just developed an emulator by now and released it for free. Good grief, if Microsoft can emulate original xbox games on 360 then the PS3 should have no trouble powering through some PS2 games.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 casharmy

I hope this is some sort of subscription, rather than pay per title. A netflix-esque service with PS1/PS2 library would be good. Cloud-streaming isn't that bad, and the tech is rapidly improving. I'd imagine that my internet connection at present would handle it.Ravensmash

That would be awsome but that's wishful thinking at it's best. Sony finally seems to be thinking of ways to make money as well, but if what you said comes to pass alot of people would jump aboard that option

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

would be cool if it they used a suscription strategy. Like Netflix.

Unless their tech is epically improved from Onlive, this doesn't sound all that attractive.

Though I suppose it's easier for them to make video of PS2 games not look like garbage.

Cherokee_Jack

they are buying potential. This is not a conservative move.

At least not for a console hardware maker. There is a good article about this. Let me try to find it.

Found it

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
That's not BC, i still have to pay for games I already own. Most likely will also be the type of "BC" on the ps4.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

DeadMan1290

could be a test run for PS1-3 support with the PS4

edit: GS is messing up my posts. Anyone else having this problem?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gue1

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Surprised more than anything that it is with Gaikai, and not Online. Don't really see the point, when any PS3 can play PS1 games and PS2 games on the PSN store. If you have to buy them again to stream them, then what is the point? Chris_Williams

then get use to it buddy, sooner or later cloud gaming is going to take over physical media. Its already happening with dvd's and blu-rays

cloud gaming will not take off, this is no Steam. There is a huge difference between a DD delivery service to play streamed games.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gue1

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]Surprised more than anything that it is with Gaikai, and not Online. Don't really see the point, when any PS3 can play PS1 games and PS2 games on the PSN store. If you have to buy them again to stream them, then what is the point? Chris_Williams

cloud gaming will not take off, this is no Steam. There is a huge difference between a DD delivery service compared to play streamed games.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That would be intresting.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
If this is a subscription thing like Netflix then cool. Old games could be easily streamed. But this is not BC
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

DeadMan1290
Well it's something that could easily pass onto PS4 without extra hardware I guess.
madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

If this rumor is true to begin with then Sony would be smart to allow people to stream ps3 games in addition to ps1/2 games. Otherwise this is waste of time imo. Especially if it's a pay per game deal and not subscription based.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

If this rumor is true to begin with then Sony would be smart to allow people to stream ps3 games in addition to ps1/2 games. Otherwise this is waste of time imo. Especially if it's a pay per game deal and not subscription based.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Woohoo we can buy our games for THIRD time!! First for the PSOne then as a DD version from PSN and now from a cloud facility! Oh joy how lucky we are! [spoiler] That was sarcasm by the way [/spoiler]
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

meh.. I still got my Ps2 and my Ps1.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Nothing wrong in the service for those that would make use out of it.
RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts
They should of done this when they started releasing PS3s with no backwards compatibility, not when the next gen is right around the corner. Just trying to get more money and piss us off.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
I hope you gamers are smart enough to not throw away your current PS3/360 games/hardware as we head into the next gen. I more worried that BC won't be in PS4/720.
rumbalumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rumbalumba
Member since 2011 • 2445 Posts

GIJames248

because software emulation doesn't work for all games, as evidenced by the 80GB Launch PS3 which used part-software emulation and part-hardware. not all games work, even first-party games like God Of War had issues with the cutscenes, etc.

the first Xbox had no games whatsoever compared to the PS2, so problems like this can occur but in a minute amount. you can see consumers will get pissed off if they found out that their PS2 games won't work due to software emulation problems, so it will do more bad for Sony than good. and before you whine more, there's a lot of third-arty games for the PS2 that it would be stupid for Sony to try to fix games they don't own or didn't produce it would cost much more to fix it rather than putting in hardware like the 60GB Launch PS3, which is expensive enough already.

do you really think Sony can't do PS2 emulation on the PS3 because they're so money-hungry? lol. software emulation has problems of its own. the PS2 and PS3 have different architectures, that's why the 60GB Launch PS3 had a built-in PS2 Emotion Engine processor alongside the PS3's Cell processor. a PC with an Nvidia 8800GT has problems running software PS2 emulation, so how about an RSX which is leagues lower than the 8800GT?

people here don't use their heads often. Sony is presenting a way for us to play PS2 games on current- and next-gen consoles because it's much more expensive to shoe in a PS2 or PS3 motherboard in there.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
PS1 emulation is easy as pie, every PS3 does it. The cloud would be useful for PS2 and PS3 games because they are much harder to emulate correctly.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="GIJames248"]

rumbalumba

because software emulation doesn't work for all games, as evidenced by the 80GB Launch PS3 which used part-software emulation and part-hardware. not all games work, even first-party games like God Of War had issues with the cutscenes, etc.

the first Xbox had no games whatsoever compared to the PS2, so problems like this can occur but in a minute amount. you can see consumers will get pissed off if they found out that their PS2 games won't work due to software emulation problems, so it will do more bad for Sony than good. and before you whine more, there's a lot of third-arty games for the PS2 that it would be stupid for Sony to try to fix games they don't own or didn't produce it would cost much more to fix it rather than putting in hardware like the 60GB Launch PS3, which is expensive enough already.

do you really think Sony can't do PS2 emulation on the PS3 because they're so money-hungry? lol. software emulation has problems of its own. the PS2 and PS3 have different architectures, that's why the 60GB Launch PS3 had a built-in PS2 Emotion Engine processor alongside the PS3's Cell processor. a PC with an Nvidia 8800GT has problems running software PS2 emulation, so how about an RSX which is leagues lower than the 8800GT?

people here don't use their heads often. Sony is presenting a way for us to play PS2 games on current- and next-gen consoles because it's much more expensive to shoe in a PS2 or PS3 motherboard in there.

....the original xbox had no games whatsoever compared to the ps2? :roll: and the ps3 currently has software emulation on a complete form hence the ps2 classics line they have on psn.
rumbalumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rumbalumba
Member since 2011 • 2445 Posts

[QUOTE="rumbalumba"]

[QUOTE="GIJames248"]

WilliamRLBaker

....the original xbox had no games whatsoever compared to the ps2? :roll: and the ps3 currently has software emulation on a complete form hence the ps2 classics line they have on psn.

yes, xbox had no games. i was living in Asia and i didn't even know what Halo was, that's how the Xbox was so invisible. oh right, USA = world, right?:roll:

the PS2 classics were code-tested and went through QA, so they work flawlessly and most of the times they're optimized so they run at 60 fps.

you have to uderstand that there's 2,000+ retail PS2 games released. Sony did all the QA for the PS2 classics on PSN. if Sony were to advertise that the PS3 has a feature capable of software emulation, there will be a ton of complaints for numerous bugs and incompatibilities. did you read my post? Sony has to test ALL games and software before they advertise a feature, or else it will be false advertising. get that inside your thick skull.

there's about 80 PS2 classics on PSN right now, which is less than 10% of all PS2 games released. if 80 titles work flawlessly but 1,920 others don't, you think Sony's so stupid to risk that? it takes months to do QA and pass certification. use logic and common sense.