Games that you consider masterpieces and why...

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Say something.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

GTA IV.

A lot of people b!tch about it, but I have never seen an open world game nail the feel of a real city like that. The shift between neighborhoods is subtle, yet recognizable. the driving, once you get used to it is really well done with the vehicles all having a nice weight to them. There really isn't a better realized place in gaming. I can't wait to see what they have done to LA.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

gta san andreas

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Super Metroid, Metroid Prime and Megaman 2 all spring to mind.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Half Life series.

I say this because despite the game having a story it's really up to the player to tell the story themselves.

That might sound confusing, but there is a level of interaction in the game necessary, and it's up to the player to commit themselves to flesh out the story through what they view in the world.

Two people can have wildly different experiences with the game, and this comes despite the game being linear.

I've played through Half Life 2 probably a dozen times, and I still find new things in the world that change my previous perceptions about the story in the game. In my last playthrough, which wasn't too long ago, I walked out of a building, and in the corner of my eye I noticed a group of civilians tearing down a tv which had Dr. Breen displayed on it. It was something I just hadn't noticed before.

And honestly the first few times I played I had no idea who Dr. Breen was, but I was walking through some Black Mesa scientist's office, and saw him standing with a group of scientists. It just blows me away to discover the story based on my own interaction with the game.

It seems every time I play I discover even more about the Half Life universe which always motivates me to play it again. I'm actually currently in the middle of a playthrough right now :P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
None comes to mind
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Final Fantasy VII

Castevania: Symphony of the Night

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

Mass Effect 2

Deus Ex:HR was close...the tacked on boss fights and no true ending were the only weak points.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrongBlackVine

None comes to mindMonsieurX

Your standards are way too high then...

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime and Megaman 2 all spring to mind.darkspineslayer

Oh yeah and i add "Zelda A link to the past" :oops:

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Is this a veiled favorite games of the gen thread or am I supposed to be somehow objective?

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

Legend of Legaia - Unique battle system, awesome story, emotional development with characters

Brave Fencer Musashi - Night/day time system, same reasons above

Final Fantasy 12 - "" ""

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Halo: Reach. Awesome campaign, awesome co-op, and awesome multiplayer all rolled up into one masterful package.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

GTA IV.

A lot of people b!tch about it, but I have never seen an open world game nail the feel of a real city like that. The shift between neighborhoods is subtle, yet recognizable. the driving, once you get used to it is really well done with the vehicles all having a nice weight to them. There really isn't a better realized place in gaming. I can't wait to see what they have done to LA.

heretrix

This. SA gives you a bucket of things to do and rarely hits the mark. Its quantity over quality. IV is the reverse. Its more selective but a hell of a lot more refined.

Also, I think Braid is close to a masterpiece just in terms of imagination and design. I love the way it teaches you to think about how to complete the puzzles based on previous chapters.  

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Legend of Legaia - Unique battle system, awesome story, emotional development with characters

Final Fantasy 12 - "" ""

Liquid_

You, sir, are probably one of the only people on these boards that has fully played through Legend of Legaia.  I don't have the same opinion that it's a "masterpiece" but it's still really, really good (kind of a grind when it comes to leveling, though).

On topic:
FFIX
Uncharted 2
Halo: CE
Megaman 2
Super Metroid
Myst
Shadow of the Colossus
Journey
FFX
Starcraft

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

[QUOTE="Liquid_"]

Final Fantasy 12 - "" ""

Basinboy

You, sir, are probably one of the only people on these boards that has fully played through Legend of Legaia.  I don't have the same opinion that it's a "masterpiece" but it's still really, really good (kind of a grind when it comes to leveling, though).

On topic:
FFIX
Uncharted 2
Megaman 2
Super Metroid
Myst
Shadow of the Colossus
Journey
FFX
Starcraft

I've beat it probably 10-12 times
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

[QUOTE="Liquid_"]

Final Fantasy 12 - "" ""

Liquid_

On topic:
FFIX
Uncharted 2
Megaman 2
Super Metroid
Myst
Shadow of the Colossus
Journey
FFX
Starcraft

I've beat it probably 10-12 times

Me: 4-5 times, haven't played it in years.  Its boss battles are some of the best of the PS1 generation.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Mirror's Edge of course :D! The most pure and beautiful viusal style of any game. Unique and great gameplay. Feels really amazing when you get into the flow, exactly like how a freerunning game should feel. Lots of options for how to tackle the courses using the handful of techniques you have at your disposal. I play it a few times every month and never get tired of it. A true Masterpiece!

Edit: Other Masterpieces: Arkham Asylum, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Zelda: A Link To The Past

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Halo 2. > the MP was just SOO much fun that i truely wish there was clock on it. 

from 2004-07 i play the game EVERYDAY from the time i got home from school till midnight from the momment i woke up on the weekends till i went i sleep. ALL free time went to it

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Journey.

Because what it set out to do and did... It did perfectly. Its not my favorite game. Or my top ten of all time. But the games above that I can always point out notable flaws that will keep it from being a masterpiece, no matter how little they bother me. Can't say the same about Journey.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Arkham City

-Perfect combat

-Atmospheric open world

-Polished

-Excellent characters/story

-Superb voice acting/overall sound

-Good graphics

-Good stealth

-Flying/platforming

-Puzzles

-Lots of easter eggs

-Its Batman

-No obvious flaws, long loading times after death is probably the only thing i can think of, and even the loading screens have excellent little cutscenes of the villains talking S*%) to you.

Final Fantasy 7

-Everything

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus. It's rare that a game full of just boss fights one after another with almost no other characters and a very one tone environment can conjure up so many emotions and epic scale/set pieces without shoving everything in your face. The story is almost non-existent yet it makes you think and speculate more than most games ever do. That game was just my imagination doing all the filling in.

Dark Souls. Deep and satisfying role playing elements, fantastic world and level design. When you do huge arcs and realise it was all connected is genius. A hugely deep lore and backstory that can be so easily tossed aside and never even see half of it. It never shoves it in your face either and lets you discover things for yourself, also allowing a bit of imagination in its ambiguity. The lore could fill a whole trilogy of games but it's all expertly put into one. Also some of the most unique enemy designs and great bosses

These are the only 2 games I have ever given a 10/10 and consider almost prefect

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

sh2pc2011-04-2319-01-wjqca.png

Silent Hill 2 is a game with the goal of telling a story, but it doesn't shower the player with exposition. Instead, the tale is told through the game world in some obvious and not-so-obvious ways. Everything is intentional and nothing is wasted.

Slashkice

+1 for silent hill 2 also. Almost the epitome of the genre, well paced, great scares and terrific atmosphere all weaved around a great story

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Streets of Rage 2-3
Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles + CD
M.U.S.H.A
Tie Fighter
X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter
Age of Mythology
Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime Trilogy
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Why? They are polished, represent the best of their respective genres, and have or will withstand the test of time.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

far cry 3

doom 3

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Fatal Frame 1, 2 because they are the scariest games of all time.

Resident Evil 1,2,3,4 because they're the best survival horror games.

God of War 1,2,3 because they're the best hack n' slash games.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Fatal Frame 1, 2 because they are the scariest games of all time.

Resident Evil 1,2,3,4 because they're the best survival horror games.

God of War 1,2,3 because they're the best hack n' slash games.

clr84651

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiRAtqA3z4U-N9C0pGbMiimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH9JkCGgh266Na1ZUdeZ-images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpRAOACBXtZOam7Uk-Y1w

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 headninjadog
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts
The first Devil May Cry (2001)
-I've never seen third person action melee combat executed that way in any game before it. It really connects the player to what's on screen. -Gorgeous art direction. Haunting gothic ambiance in every manner. -Character and asset designs are top notch. -Challenging as hell! I still never cleared it on PS2 and now I have the HD edition which I'll probably never clear as well. -Lets face it, this game has created a whole new sub-genre of action gaming paving the way for Ninja Gaiden (another masterpiece!), God Of War, Heavenly Sword and countless other games.
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

for me:

kingdom hearts 1 and 2- pretty much my favorite games /series of all time. i also loved Birth by Sleep.

mgs4- fantastic ending. very emotional.

uncharted 2- after finishing the campaign for the first time, i felt blown away by how amazing this game was. 

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yoshi's Island: I'm a huge platformer fanatic and I don't believe a game has ever topped Yoshi's Island in this genre. It featured very original gameplay and superb level design and challenge. It became quite an obsession of mine to get 100 points in each level.

-Pikmin: Completely original and done excedingly well. I don't know what more I can say. This game really had a strong effect on me. It breathed new life into me as a gamer. It showed me that innovation and creativity could still happen in spades. This game was just a rush of originality and gave me the same sense of wonder I had when I picked up a video game controller for the very first time.

-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker: This was the pinnacle of the Zelda franchise. This legendary series has built upon itself over the years until it reached Wind Waker. This game has the most lively and emense overworld of the series with the most content to boot. IT also features the standard Zelda gameplay but refined. This game also boasts one of, if not the best story present in mainstream gaming. The game actually uses strong symbolism and metaphor for the express purpose of conveying a rather touching and powerful message. The Zelda series has never quite lived up to this game ever since and it may never reach this level again.

-Metroid Prime: a game that perhaps captures the strength of the gaming media better than any other. It's pure interactive entertainment. You are always in control and the story only unfolds if you, the player, decides to scan every detail of your environment. It's all about you isolated in this brilliantly designed world.

-Batman Arkham City: I've seen many games attempt many different gameplay mechanics at once before, but each aspect they implement usually ends up mediocre. This is not the case in Batman Arkham City. This game does melee combat, strealth, exploration, and puzzles all at an extremely high level wrapped up in a near perfectly polished package. I've never seen a game this ambitious live up to all of its promises completely.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Ocarina of Time: First of the Nintendo 64 games to recieve such an epic story with emotional ties, with a solid visual style complimented by the best gameplay around.

Half-Life 2: Ahead of it's time when it comes to visuals and gameplay, giving birth to Gary's Mod introducing a massive flood of youtube videos and games to follow.

Halo: Combat Evolved: First game on the 2nd gen consoles to offer difinitive FPS gameplay, with an epic story and great graphics for it's time.

Super Mario Galaxy: Great visual design,  amazing level design, and gameplay make this stand out amongst the greatest.

Gran Thieft Auto III: First GTA game to hit critical success, offering some great visuals as well as hitting the news for controversial issues.

Uncharted 2: First game to offer such a cinematic experience, with some of the greatest visuals, amazing voice acting and animations, and a great story that changed the way some games play.  

League of Legends:  One of if not the most played game, also one of the biggest competative games to date.

Journey:  One of the best experiences to date, Journey offers you an emotional rollercoaster, as well as top notch visuals and a different prospective on how the industry can look at a game.  Anyone who disliked this game was someone who expeced it to be something it wasn't trying to achieve.

World of Warcraft:  Best MMORPG to be released, flooding the PC with hundreds of copy cats due to its success at polishing the game to near perfection. 

Guitar Hero III:  The first game in the Rhythm industry to reach its success and drawing a large amount of users to partake in games such as the earlier guitar hero games and rock band.  Also (IMO) the last good Guitar hero game.

Braid: Some of the most relaxing visuals and music, great story and gameplay.  Really changed the way most people look at Downloadable games. Commercial success.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Anyone who played Super Smash Brothers Melee knows how good this game was, I put thousands of hours into this game.  With a large roster of characters, solid visuals and controls, and THE BEST LAN gameplay around.  

Pokemon (red or blue):  The first Pokemon game that launched it's success, with great story and gameplay, and groundbreaking visuals for the Gameboy color.

Kingdom Hearts: Offering a MASSIVE cast of characters, combining the Final Fantasy universe and Disney universe to create an emotional story with great gameplay.  It's a dark game also featuring winnie the pooh.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Commercially a success, with some good gameplay, the story was TOP NOTCH, the game made you feel for Snake as he struggles to reach his final goal.

Batman: Arkham City: Really changed the way Open World games play, featuring amazing voice acting and visuals, hooked with a solid story line which was almost completely baron in this genre of video games.

Bioshock: Some of the best gameplay anyone can find in the FPS genre, featuring scares where scares were often not found: Under the ocean.

Shadow of The Collosus: Breathtaking visuals and great gameplay, the first time I was shown a collosus my mind was blown.

Golden Eye 007: Goes without saying, this game defined the FPS Genre and what it is today, with collaboration of Halo: CE and the influence of CoD 4.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: The last official Call of Duty game (IMO before being milked to hell), offering groundbreaking gameplay, very good visuals for its time, and a controversal and bloody story changing the Call of Duty's (Teen) rating to mature.  The Multiplayer spawned what everyone sees today in terms of shooters, and multiplayer games.

Mass Effect 2: Offering some great visuals, and a compelling story with a great cast of characters.  One of the first games to offer decisions throughout your journey that greately affected how you approached the game.  The game made you feel for the characters and how you approached the game.

All that comes to mind. :P

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

GTA IV.

heretrix

I love the city and moving about. It's just there's not much to actually DO in that awesome city. Imo.

I'd rather a worse world with more to do, ala Saint's Row.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

ico20hd1npr7y.jpg

Bridge scene.

ico_sotc_collection_1soow6.jpg

Haunting, poignant, just brilliant. It's a magnificent game that succeeds in all it attempts. One of the rare titles which pushes its themes through gameplay.

sh2pc2011-04-2319-01-wjqca.png

Silent Hill 2 is a game with the goal of telling a story, but it doesn't shower the player with exposition. Instead, the tale is told through the game world in some obvious and not-so-obvious ways. Everything is intentional and nothing is wasted.

Slashkice

I aprove this post, especially SotC, what a masterpiece of a game.

I'll also add Red Dead Redemption cause of the emotions it evoked on me, especially coming from R*. Never expected such a serious tone in game coming from the GTA makers

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Canon-Gatorade
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts
Haze, the game is severely underrated and the game is just a total masterpiece. It is even named after Fog, which usually covers the beauty of daylight and provides deception to the actual cause and effect. Haze was a memory that I will never forget standing the test of time over and over again, while besting out every game since released, especially in the same genre. The Plot was highly original and ignored because it was labeled a Halo killer, and then it was slapped with generic. These people either did not pay attention with an already large amount of bias, or they never played the game or even really watched any gameplay videos. The Story beats out games like Halo and definitely games like Killzone, COD, BF etc. It is the only FPS that makes you feel like you are in the game with a larger variety of environments and personalities, instead of similar looking stages and worlds over and over with a few tweaks or with the same thing throughout. HAze was perfect in almost everyway in that regard, and it should have been the first FPS game to get a 10 alone, but that's not even the core. The gameplay is a mind-trick, so you have to use the utmost skill and it tests your ability to adapt, and gets you better everytime you fail giving you that sense of satisfaction guaranteed. It gives you a feeling of reward when using those quick reflexes to take out your allies, and this could transition to real life as well, but that's another story. Everything is fluid, the controls are tight, but they are made so that you can do numerous strategies with your allies and enemies, and the controls are made for fast reflexes and, wait for it, REALISTIC movement. The game was most likely to be a SIMULATOR for the army from the looks of it, but the false negativity got them to drop it. Because of this, the controls are the best in the industry and not justin its genre, and that is why people ignore it's not some mind numing run around and shoot, it is your brain and checking if it is functioning. The Graphics even now, are impressive, you can claim better games, but the no slow down with tons of bullets in the aire, the fast control responses near instant, the armor lighting in the sun, and the animations of the character models, and the special effect having no Frame rate issues, or casing low frame rate is still and issue in shooters today, as well as having the most consistent scale and draw distance, where EVERY FPS today, has the sides fogged, or has the area ahead clearly lose quality instead of it looking far away, even with games like Crysis, unless you fully mod it on PC, but even then Haze stand tall. The Intensive gameplay will keep you playing for hours, and never get board, as there are many different tactisc and strategy to use with its dynamic battle system. A field that some FPS games got better at but not as consistent as Haze. The combination of smart and dumb A.I. working in union to from stratigies for you and against you, in places where their reactions make sense, are both just as ever changing. It's not the old:"Go here and shoot at target, move if this happens, go back" that are in the majority of FPS games, and HAze is the greatest game of all time still not being surpassed on A.I. consistency alone. The story and Graphics, and Environments are immersive, and you feel like you are actually there in the game, reviews do not reflect this do to the Haze developers not throwing in money for review scores, and decided to put out the game truthfully as its. This made people mad, so they slandered the game with full force, and adding Halo killer without permission already caused massive bias and just finished the job. The Game is the perfect game, and is the best game of all time, and IMO it is a killer game that is underrated by the masses. The gameplay is advanced and can be difficult or simple depending on how you use your mind. The Game is what we need in games today, mind. The fact that you decide how difficult the game is by what you learn and how you use the controls and how you deploy your tactics, just makes the learning curve perfect because the learning curve is you! YOU are the learning curve! Playing with friends with the most responsive multiplayer, that does not even take away quality form the SP, a first for any FPS game and most games in general, is the most fun you will ever have, and you will play the game for years until this gen through the life-cycle of the console it was released on. Yes that long, and more, because there is so much to do. There is the variety of content that games keep locking out, yes, on disc DLC is dumb, and it's not even DLC anymore since you're not really downloading it, so all companies that do it should be fined. Not only that locked on disc content? Haze is the full complete game in one package, it has more content, strategy, and gameplay than Crysis, Halo, Killzone, Half-Life, Doom 3, and BF combined. COD is not even really trying to compete with it's lack of everything, and all other shooters are irrelevant. The game will be looked back upon as the best, and they will most liekly put it in the hall of fame to treasure it forever, it was the peak of gaming before the current downward spiral, and it will forever be the game that we play in memory of the great times and back when developers used effort, and us players were given a chance to play a classy game like this in our homes.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

GTA IV.

heretrix
Agreed. Burnout 3 Takedown. The takedown system was a brilliant innovation and combined with EA's money, Burnout 3 came out of nowhere and actually became one of the best games of 2004, alongside GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, and Half-Life 2.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#36 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts
[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"]Haze, the game is severely underrated and the game is just a total masterpiece. It is even named after Fog, which usually covers the beauty of daylight and provides deception to the actual cause and effect. Haze was a memory that I will never forget standing the test of time over and over again, while besting out every game since released, especially in the same genre. The Plot was highly original and ignored because it was labeled a Halo killer, and then it was slapped with generic. These people either did not pay attention with an already large amount of bias, or they never played the game or even really watched any gameplay videos. The Story beats out games like Halo and definitely games like Killzone, COD, BF etc. It is the only FPS that makes you feel like you are in the game with a larger variety of environments and personalities, instead of similar looking stages and worlds over and over with a few tweaks or with the same thing throughout. HAze was perfect in almost everyway in that regard, and it should have been the first FPS game to get a 10 alone, but that's not even the core. The gameplay is a mind-trick, so you have to use the utmost skill and it tests your ability to adapt, and gets you better everytime you fail giving you that sense of satisfaction guaranteed. It gives you a feeling of reward when using those quick reflexes to take out your allies, and this could transition to real life as well, but that's another story. Everything is fluid, the controls are tight, but they are made so that you can do numerous strategies with your allies and enemies, and the controls are made for fast reflexes and, wait for it, REALISTIC movement. The game was most likely to be a SIMULATOR for the army from the looks of it, but the false negativity got them to drop it. Because of this, the controls are the best in the industry and not justin its genre, and that is why people ignore it's not some mind numing run around and shoot, it is your brain and checking if it is functioning. The Graphics even now, are impressive, you can claim better games, but the no slow down with tons of bullets in the aire, the fast control responses near instant, the armor lighting in the sun, and the animations of the character models, and the special effect having no Frame rate issues, or casing low frame rate is still and issue in shooters today, as well as having the most consistent scale and draw distance, where EVERY FPS today, has the sides fogged, or has the area ahead clearly lose quality instead of it looking far away, even with games like Crysis, unless you fully mod it on PC, but even then Haze stand tall. The Intensive gameplay will keep you playing for hours, and never get board, as there are many different tactisc and strategy to use with its dynamic battle system. A field that some FPS games got better at but not as consistent as Haze. The combination of smart and dumb A.I. working in union to from stratigies for you and against you, in places where their reactions make sense, are both just as ever changing. It's not the old:"Go here and shoot at target, move if this happens, go back" that are in the majority of FPS games, and HAze is the greatest game of all time still not being surpassed on A.I. consistency alone. The story and Graphics, and Environments are immersive, and you feel like you are actually there in the game, reviews do not reflect this do to the Haze developers not throwing in money for review scores, and decided to put out the game truthfully as its. This made people mad, so they slandered the game with full force, and adding Halo killer without permission already caused massive bias and just finished the job. The Game is the perfect game, and is the best game of all time, and IMO it is a killer game that is underrated by the masses. The gameplay is advanced and can be difficult or simple depending on how you use your mind. The Game is what we need in games today, mind. The fact that you decide how difficult the game is by what you learn and how you use the controls and how you deploy your tactics, just makes the learning curve perfect because the learning curve is you! YOU are the learning curve! Playing with friends with the most responsive multiplayer, that does not even take away quality form the SP, a first for any FPS game and most games in general, is the most fun you will ever have, and you will play the game for years until this gen through the life-cycle of the console it was released on. Yes that long, and more, because there is so much to do. There is the variety of content that games keep locking out, yes, on disc DLC is dumb, and it's not even DLC anymore since you're not really downloading it, so all companies that do it should be fined. Not only that locked on disc content? Haze is the full complete game in one package, it has more content, strategy, and gameplay than Crysis, Halo, Killzone, Half-Life, Doom 3, and BF combined. COD is not even really trying to compete with it's lack of everything, and all other shooters are irrelevant. The game will be looked back upon as the best, and they will most liekly put it in the hall of fame to treasure it forever, it was the peak of gaming before the current downward spiral, and it will forever be the game that we play in memory of the great times and back when developers used effort, and us players were given a chance to play a classy game like this in our homes.

:lol:
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I think the games speak for themselves, what a great generation...

Batman Arkham series
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2
Half Life 2/Orange Box
Oblivion/Skyrim

These are must play games. I won't even bother going back to other geneartions because there's just too many (and I know I left some out here too). 

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrongBlackVine

I think the games speak for themselves, what a great generation...

Batman Arkham series
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2
Half Life 2/Orange Box
Oblivion/Skyrim

These are must play games. I won't even bother going back to other geneartions because there's just too many (and I know I left some out here too). 

immortality20

All of those are great except Skyrim...crap.

Canon-Gatorade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Canon-Gatorade
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts
[QUOTE="speedfreak48t5p"][QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"]Haze, the game is severely underrated and the game is just a total masterpiece. It is even named after Fog, which usually covers the beauty of daylight and provides deception to the actual cause and effect. Haze was a memory that I will never forget standing the test of time over and over again, while besting out every game since released, especially in the same genre. The Plot was highly original and ignored because it was labeled a Halo killer, and then it was slapped with generic. These people either did not pay attention with an already large amount of bias, or they never played the game or even really watched any gameplay videos. The Story beats out games like Halo and definitely games like Killzone, COD, BF etc. It is the only FPS that makes you feel like you are in the game with a larger variety of environments and personalities, instead of similar looking stages and worlds over and over with a few tweaks or with the same thing throughout. HAze was perfect in almost everyway in that regard, and it should have been the first FPS game to get a 10 alone, but that's not even the core. The gameplay is a mind-trick, so you have to use the utmost skill and it tests your ability to adapt, and gets you better everytime you fail giving you that sense of satisfaction guaranteed. It gives you a feeling of reward when using those quick reflexes to take out your allies, and this could transition to real life as well, but that's another story. Everything is fluid, the controls are tight, but they are made so that you can do numerous strategies with your allies and enemies, and the controls are made for fast reflexes and, wait for it, REALISTIC movement. The game was most likely to be a SIMULATOR for the army from the looks of it, but the false negativity got them to drop it. Because of this, the controls are the best in the industry and not justin its genre, and that is why people ignore it's not some mind numing run around and shoot, it is your brain and checking if it is functioning. The Graphics even now, are impressive, you can claim better games, but the no slow down with tons of bullets in the aire, the fast control responses near instant, the armor lighting in the sun, and the animations of the character models, and the special effect having no Frame rate issues, or casing low frame rate is still and issue in shooters today, as well as having the most consistent scale and draw distance, where EVERY FPS today, has the sides fogged, or has the area ahead clearly lose quality instead of it looking far away, even with games like Crysis, unless you fully mod it on PC, but even then Haze stand tall. The Intensive gameplay will keep you playing for hours, and never get board, as there are many different tactisc and strategy to use with its dynamic battle system. A field that some FPS games got better at but not as consistent as Haze. The combination of smart and dumb A.I. working in union to from stratigies for you and against you, in places where their reactions make sense, are both just as ever changing. It's not the old:"Go here and shoot at target, move if this happens, go back" that are in the majority of FPS games, and HAze is the greatest game of all time still not being surpassed on A.I. consistency alone. The story and Graphics, and Environments are immersive, and you feel like you are actually there in the game, reviews do not reflect this do to the Haze developers not throwing in money for review scores, and decided to put out the game truthfully as its. This made people mad, so they slandered the game with full force, and adding Halo killer without permission already caused massive bias and just finished the job. The Game is the perfect game, and is the best game of all time, and IMO it is a killer game that is underrated by the masses. The gameplay is advanced and can be difficult or simple depending on how you use your mind. The Game is what we need in games today, mind. The fact that you decide how difficult the game is by what you learn and how you use the controls and how you deploy your tactics, just makes the learning curve perfect because the learning curve is you! YOU are the learning curve! Playing with friends with the most responsive multiplayer, that does not even take away quality form the SP, a first for any FPS game and most games in general, is the most fun you will ever have, and you will play the game for years until this gen through the life-cycle of the console it was released on. Yes that long, and more, because there is so much to do. There is the variety of content that games keep locking out, yes, on disc DLC is dumb, and it's not even DLC anymore since you're not really downloading it, so all companies that do it should be fined. Not only that locked on disc content? Haze is the full complete game in one package, it has more content, strategy, and gameplay than Crysis, Halo, Killzone, Half-Life, Doom 3, and BF combined. COD is not even really trying to compete with it's lack of everything, and all other shooters are irrelevant. The game will be looked back upon as the best, and they will most liekly put it in the hall of fame to treasure it forever, it was the peak of gaming before the current downward spiral, and it will forever be the game that we play in memory of the great times and back when developers used effort, and us players were given a chance to play a classy game like this in our homes.

:lol:

You can get it cheap now to see what I mean. Luckily, it has not increased in value too much. Soon the game will be a collectors item and the price may go up, even used.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

And honestly the first few times I played I had no idea who Dr. Breen was, but I was walking through some Black Mesa scientist's office, and saw him standing with a group of scientists. It just blows me away to discover the story based on my own interaction with the game.

It seems every time I play I discover even more about the Half Life universe which always motivates me to play it again. I'm actually currently in the middle of a playthrough right now :P

Ly_the_Fairy

How the hell can you play through the game even once and not know who he is? He f*cking talks to you.

Anyways I'd say Metroid Prime, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
planescape: torment - has a story that can I feel I can actually compare to movies and books. fantastic dialogue selections, great party variety, very dark and gripping atmosphere battle garegga - addicting gameplay, great aesthetics, top notch scoring/ranking system with a lot of depth, perfect difficulty and very replayable. have to love that soundtrack too :) team fortress classic - an mp FPS that I find perfect in every aspect. very steep learning curve, very customizable, great class variety, fast paced, strategic, and still lots of room for new techniques/improvisation.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#42 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Fallout 2

- Dune 2

- Earthbound

- Planscape Torment

- Gothic 2

- Mount & Blade: Warband

- Team Fortress 2

- Half Life 1/2

- Super Mario Bros 3

- Final Fantasy Tactics

- Red Dead Redemption

- Warcraft 2

- Diablo 2

- KOTOR2 (Even better with the latest Restoration Mod)

To name a few imo :P

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#43 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Half Life 2 - Pitch-perfect pacing and varied level design with something different to do in each chapter. 

Mafia - a totally uncompromising open-world game with a great story that isn't bothered with following coventions. 

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
MGS4, cuz that Kojima
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

cain006

How the hell can you play through the game even once and not know who he is? He f*cking talks to you.

Because there is a difference between knowing who he is, and know WHO he is, if you know what I mean :) There's no need for the angry response.

It's not enough to just know that he is the antagonist of the game, but why he is, where he came from, how he got the power, how people see him, and how you yourself (Gordon Freeman) know him.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Demon's Souls
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Eh, really tough to say...

I wouldn't say masterpieces, but for me...

Demon's and Dark Souls

Bioshock

Final Fantasy VII

RE4

Walking Dead

Limbo

FF10

SOTC

They all, for me, offer great gameplay and compell me.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Resident Evil 4

REsident Evil

Metroid Prime

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Shadow of the Colossus

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#49 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Because there is a difference between knowing who he is, and know WHO he is, if you know what I mean :) There's no need for the angry response.

It's not enough to just know that he is the antagonist of the game, but why he is, where he came from, how he got the power, how people see him, and how you yourself (Gordon Freeman) know him.

It's SW you don't need a reason for an angry response.

And I'm pretty sure he was a dude from HL right? Anyways I never liked the game much, the ai is crappy and the gameplay isn't very good.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Uncharted series, the game plays for me. What is better than that?