Games that won't live up to their Hype!

• 80 results
#51 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, Hyrule Warriors (McShea will review it, expect it to be the next iteration of the main franchise, and give it a 4/10, also he will have some sort of commentary on the female characters in the game, I guarantee it), No Man's Sky (Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous will shit all over it), Sunset Overdrive and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I have a strong feeling that most, if not all "hyped" games over the next year or two will fail to live up to the hype. The Xbone and PS4 are really showing their age already in terms of power (1080p60 should have been standard across the board for a "next-gen" console) and PC is going to become a much more important gaming platform as the generation drags on.

Even Japanese devs are showing support for PC, and not just shitty ports either.

#52 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17464 posts) -

destiny my ass

#53 Posted by silversix_ (14337 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@smashed_pinata said:

Bloodborne

How exactly do you expect this one to fail? Their whole team need to start doing meth for this game to fail. Also, the only thing Destiny will fail at is deliver a half decent story. Everything else in this game won't disappoint.

The game i expect to be very disappointing compared to its prequels is Borderlands Pre Sequel. Now this game will be disappointing but i don't see much hype so dunno if it counts.

It will fail because cows and everyone including their grandmother's dog has been hyping it up as the second coming of christ when all they have seen is some pretty trailer and some sections of clunky, uninspired combat. This game is going to bomb....trust me. Is the setting cool? Sure. But the game looks boring as hell. I just don't see the appeal at all.

Trust you? Why would i do that? If what was shown is boring to you then you dislike the Souls series and shouldn't bother saying it'll bomb because you hate these kind of games. All three Souls games are stellar and this one will join the crew. This game will score a minimum of 9/10 here and an 88/100 on MC, you'll see.

#54 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

destiny my ass

It's nothing ground breaking or special. Just really well made. It'll have mixed reviews across the board.

#55 Posted by Nike_Air (18327 posts) -

The Order isn't even hyped all that much , but people are excited to enjoy it for what it is anyway - a fun linear romp in a cool alternate history setting with nice graphics , lychans , mutton chops , and some cool weapons. Most are probably expected a 7 from Gamespot / 70+ Metacritic. It should be a good starting point for a franchise they want to expand on in the future. If it sells , they can blow it out into something more expansive , with co-op or multiplayer to boot next time around.

Just look at how many people are really down on it in this thread , lol.

Halo 5 will undoubtedly be overhyped like every Halo sequel before it , and fall short once again. No Man's Sky is cool , but overhyped.

#56 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5421 posts) -

Can't really remember any real hype around here. When's the last time Slashkice or someone else made a hype thread with an obvious amount of effort put into it? We used to get threads made weeks and months ahead in advance and all sorts of drama over who gets the official sticky and people calling on mods to settle the disputes.

People are just listing whatever they like to bash. There is no hype or excitement on this board for anything. Just a lot of negative, washed-up posters who still cling to this place out of habit.

This post is so beautiful.

#57 Posted by parkurtommo (26798 posts) -

No Man's Sky.

Impossible to live up to the current expectations.

I do expect it to be great. but not the infinite, perfect sci fi shooter, dogfighting sim and zoologist's dream that people are currently hyping it to be.

#58 Edited by parkurtommo (26798 posts) -

Can't really remember any real hype around here. When's the last time Slashkice or someone else made a hype thread with an obvious amount of effort put into it? We used to get threads made weeks and months ahead in advance and all sorts of drama over who gets the official sticky and people calling on mods to settle the disputes.

People are just listing whatever they like to bash. There is no hype or excitement on this board for anything. Just a lot of negative, washed-up posters who still cling to this place out of habit.

That's pretty much because we're in the middle of a huge transition from an 8 year gen to a new gen. Not many worthwhile games to talk about, unless you're a PC gamer. And of course because of the fucking stupid decisions GS made, that completely fragmented the community.

#59 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17464 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

destiny my ass

It's nothing ground breaking or special. Just really well made. It'll have mixed reviews across the board.

It's going to sell like bonkers. I've played it a bunch and really like it and it seems like that's the general consensus for a lot of people. For critics? Don't know, don't care.

#60 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

destiny my ass

It's going to sell like bonkers. I've played it a bunch and really like it and it seems like that's the general consensus for a lot of people. For critics? Don't know, don't care.

I don't think it's going to sell "like bonkers". It has a strong marketing campaign (an understatement) but if the reviews come back mixed, people may make the decision not to buy. Critic reviews have, unfortunately, a strong influence on how AAA games these days perform at retail.

Also, there is the potential for people to buy it in droves, but get bored of it eventually, killing the community. Bungie seems like they are hoping this is going to be a 3-5 year game that people continue to play as long as their Halo's. They are investing everything they have in it.

Personally, my hour with the beta was incredibly lacklustre. Beautiful game, solid gameplay, interesting universe, but nothing we really haven't seen before in the genre or from Bungie themselves. It's feels "off" to me for some reason.

#61 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17464 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

destiny my ass

I don't think it's going to sell "like bonkers". It has a strong marketing campaign (an understatement) but if the reviews come back mixed, people may make the decision not to buy. Critic reviews have, unfortunately, a strong influence on how AAA games these days perform at retail.

Also, there is the potential for people to buy it in droves, but get bored of it eventually, killing the community. Bungie seems like they are hoping this is going to be a 3-5 year game that people continue to play as long as their Halo's. They are investing everything they have in it.

Personally, my hour with the beta was incredibly lacklustre. Beautiful game, solid gameplay, interesting universe, but nothing we really haven't seen before in the genre or from Bungie themselves. It's feels "off" to me for some reason.

It's a launch year and people are looking for games to play. Just look at how great Watch_Dogs did and it only has an 80 average on metacritic. People are hyped for next gen and will gobble anything that looks remotely interesting. Plus, I don't think we should understimate Bungie or Activision. Bungie is a really strong brand and Activision knows how to market a game.

#62 Edited by cainetao11 (17423 posts) -

No game lives up to their hype. Especially shooters today. They are all bland copies of each other with the exact same mechanics + a minor gimmick to make it it's own, springled on top. I honestly don't understand why people keep buying these Run&Gun CoD'ish type shooters, when they are in fact all garbage that play the same.

Probably the same reason some men pay a woman in latex to whip them in the a$$.

#63 Edited by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

this is the most troll thread I've seen. People are already convinced some games will flop even though we haven't seen a single game play video of them.

#64 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22121 posts) -

maybe the new doom game. thought there is little info about it.

#65 Posted by santoron (7718 posts) -

Destiny

Dragon Age

Star Citizen

#66 Posted by bunchanumbers (895 posts) -

Bloodborne, The Order as well.

There's a reason why games in the era of these 2 games don't sell. They are not accessible or identifiable. A game usually needs a memorable character, or moments in the game to stick with people. However in the era of super hype all you need is a blockbuster budget and the willingness to buy off gaming Journalists. So in this case nothing will live up to the hype.

#67 Posted by Seabas989 (10205 posts) -

The Order, Destiny, Drive Club, No Man's Sky, KH3, Sunset Overdrive, and MGS5.

#68 Posted by lamprey263 (23630 posts) -

Not that I feel like naming any, but generally a great many games that get people psyched rarely live up to anything worth remembering while a small handful of games receive much commercial and/or critical acclaim. Hell, sometimes it isn't even about what games were bad while others were good, sometimes even great games don't get noticed in the shadow of something trending greater with the masses.

#69 Posted by Ribnarak (2294 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

UC4.

really? Its naughty dog, they don't usually disappoint lol.

i think Order might. and sunset overdrive.

#70 Edited by mems_1224 (47022 posts) -

Destiny

The Order

UC4

Halo 5

Bloodborne

Mirror's Edge 2

Battlefront

#71 Posted by dommeus (9276 posts) -
#72 Posted by AzatiS (7558 posts) -

Destiny

The most overhyped title the latest years , second only to Diablo 3 , that wont deliver all that epicness and awesomeness they promised. ( already peopel canceling pre-orders as we speak )

#73 Posted by AznbkdX (3159 posts) -

Destiny

The order

#74 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

destiny my ass

Sadly really well made isn't a common thing anymore........

#75 Edited by casharmy (6829 posts) -

There are a few brainless fanboys in here who have actually listed Bloodborne, what dumb fucks. Buy a clue noobs, your ignorance and stupidity is legendary.

#76 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

@casharmy said:

There are a few brainless fanboys in here who have actually listed Bloodborne, what dumb fucks. Buy a clue noobs, your ignorance and stupidity is legendary.

You've played it?

#77 Posted by casharmy (6829 posts) -

@casharmy said:

You've played it?

The series from the dev who are making Bloodborne, I have played those and so have tons of reviewers.

This is a prediction thread, so the, "have you played it?" comment works just as good for anyone suggesting it won't do well.

Have you played it!?

A better question would be, "What, if anything makes someone think an upcoming game won't live up to the hype." There we can see comical responses from people who don't have any basis for their deluded predictions.

#78 Posted by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

@casharmy: You can't know for sure if you haven't played it.

#79 Edited by casharmy (6829 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@casharmy: You can't know for sure if you haven't played it.

Of course, but there are solid and reasonable arguments I can present to validate my opinion for this specific game..

If you pose that same question other posters who list an opinion in the opposite direction for this game they will have no solid argument or one that falls apart under investigation.

Pointless question to ask me in a prediction thread were most posters are posting based off hate for games that are not on their preferred system.

#80 Posted by AcidTango (572 posts) -

All of games don't seem that interesting to me so I won't be surprised if their hype won't live up.

#81 Edited by foxhound_fox (88107 posts) -

@casharmy said:

Of course, but there are solid and reasonable arguments I can present to validate my opinion for this specific game..

If you pose that same question other posters who list an opinion in the opposite direction for this game they will have no solid argument or one that falls apart under investigation.

Pointless question to ask me in a prediction thread were most posters are posting based off hate for games that are not on their preferred system.

I'd really like to see these "solid and reasonable" arguments. There is every possibility that the game could end up flopping. Especially considering expectations are already so high after a mere teaser trailer and short gameplay video.

#82 Posted by PAL360 (26844 posts) -

Probably No Man's Sky. Hope not though, it's one of my most anticipated games!

#83 Posted by Zelda187 (768 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Final Fantasy 15 will surpass the hype, BELIEVE.

Lolz

There hasn't been a good FF game since FF9. Unless you want to include A Realm Reborn.