Games that remind you why you're a gamer

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

To me that game was Bloodborne this year. Up until then I had been a little disenchanted with the current state of games. Games were becoming too formulaic, too uninteresting, and too predictable. But Bloodborne brought back that excitement for me. And now, Arkham Knight can be added to that list too. It finally feels like next gen is here and I'm like a giddy school boy playing games again. What about you, SW? Has any recent game brought you back from the dead?

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

The Citizen Kane of games.

TLOU

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Call of Duty

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts

Master Chief Collection :-)

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Mario 1/3

Zelda 1/3 + OOT

Super Metroid

Megaman x1234

im a nintendo gamer nintendo is a gamer maker and capcom gamer

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

Kingdom hearts 3

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It's not a new game, but I played Xenogears for the first time last year and that made me remember why I love games.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Uh, I don't have an identity crisis?

... I don't know. Journey? I play games to look at nice things and feel like I'm another world. That game encapsulates exactly what I want.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

To me that game was Bloodborne this year. Up until then I had been a little disenchanted with the current state of games. Games were becoming too formulaic, too uninteresting, and too predictable. But Bloodborne brought back that excitement for me. And now, Arkham Knight can be added to that list too. It finally feels like next gen is here and I'm like a giddy school boy playing games again. What about you, SW? Has any recent game brought you back from the dead?

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I've really enjoyed that game.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles. It reminded me how much emotion can be put into games, the music alone has brought me to tears due to the sheer beauty of it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Platinum Games.

Tight game mechanics with layers of depth to the gameplay that make them an absolute joy to learn. They can be challenging, replayable, but above all else fun and entertaining. There isn't some pretention of telling some video game story that is only passable by the low ass standards of this medium, nor a "another one" sequelitis vibe you get from all these other studios. Just good ol fashioned self awared cheese fests built on excellent gameplay. My kind of games.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy 2. A reminder that the best games have truly great core gameplay above all else.

Bayonetta 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Super Meat Boy and Resident Evil 4 are other examples.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The Witcher 3

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15  Edited By UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

Gaming is a means to unload, unwind and relax for me. Any game that I find entertaining and enchanting, is a game that deserves to be played. Not because I want it to match the pretentious identity of what makes us "gamers." But rather it's awesome to sit down and have fun.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

That's how I felt about Demon's Souls.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#17 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Tearaway.

Magnificent game and the way it makes the world feel like it's living inside your Vita and how personal it makes the gameplay is second to none.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Recently?

Either Sir, You Are Being Hunted or Destiny before I ended having no free time (minus Dark Below raid).

Eh....I'll throw in Batman: AK. I just really like those games.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

The only game I have played that has completely overwhelm me with the feeling of, this is why I am a gamer, was Demon's Souls from last gen.

No, game from last generation or since has given me such a strong sensation of being glad I am a gamer.

I was about to give up on the idea that I even liked gaming until I played that game. After I did play it, and to an insane extent, It simply showed me that my love for video games hadn't diminished, it was simply the quality of games that were being released.

I come from an old school console gamer back ground where nearly all the games released were virtually perfect out the box and great in their own right.

If you find yourself "looking" for greatness in a game instead of the games greatness in it grabbing you and sucking you in then that game isn't for your or there was no greatness to be found in that game to begin with. REMEMBER THAT.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Shovel knight

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

The Order 1886.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The Order 1886.

I swear as soon as I read yours was the last post, I was betting on Mafia 2.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

There have been plenty of games to come along and resuscitate my interest over the years. Some of them already listed in this thread like SMG2, Demons Souls, Ninja Gaiden Black, Shovel Knight, etc..

But the one game that truly brought me back was MGS3. It's not like 2004 was a bad time for gaming by any means. But back then I used to play almost every fucking game that came out and after a while it all started running together. Gaming started to feel more like a job and the "magic" was gone. MGS3 brought me back into the fold big time though. Really made me love the hobby again.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Donkey Kong Country Returns brought me back to the hardcore, my Kirby games, just hearing the music brings joy to me. Xenoblade Chronicles made me fall back in love with RPGs.

Dark Souls on the other hand took me to a deep dark place, i destroyed everything in that game, if it moved, i killed it. Except the Everlasting Dragon, i didnt kill him, but i refused to join.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#25 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

The Master Chief Collection did a great job of reminding me why. So many great memories and all of the games are still incredibly fun.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U can't be beat when you have a group of friends over mixing up free-for-all and teams in four-player and eight-player smash.

Persona 4 Golden was fresh and nostalgic at the same time. A great JRPG with some fantastic design, music, and characters.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

The most recent game would be Azure Striker Gunvolt, but I always mumble something like that to myself whenever I'm watching the credits for Streets of Rage, Sonic, Mega Man, or some other favorite.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Persona 4, FFIV, FFVI, Mass Effect, Smash bros, The Last of Us and most TLoZ.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

-Donkey Kong Country Returns Awoke something in me I hadn't felt in a long time.

-Rocksteady's Batman games have really impressed me. Arkham City was a game that went far beyond what I thought a single game could accomplish.

-Bloodborne

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

There have been plenty of games to come along and resuscitate my interest over the years. Some of them already listed in this thread like SMG2, Demons Souls, Ninja Gaiden Black, Shovel Knight, etc..

But the one game that truly brought me back was MGS3. It's not like 2004 was a bad time for gaming by any means. But back then I used to play almost every fucking game that came out and after a while it all started running together. Gaming started to feel more like a job and the "magic" was gone. MGS3 brought me back into the fold big time though. Really made me love the hobby again.

Do you realize that, despite Shovel Knight, all of the games that reinvigorated your interest in gaming are Japanese?

Just something I noticed, a lot of other posters are mostly mentioning games and studios like Platinum for games that reminded them why they love gaming. It's interesting considering how people like to rag on Japanese games and their lack of worth or value to gaming.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Bloodborne.

If I could pick only 3 franchises forever two would be From Software games. Souls and Armored Core. Throw in elder scrolls and I'm set

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Most recently... Witcher 3.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

The fact I'm compelled to play everything I can get my hands on whether largely regarded good or bad and yet have fun all the same is what reminds me why I'm a gamer, NOT saying I only play what's largely regarded by popular consensus as the best game on the market and turn my nose up at everything else.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

The healthy mix of AAA productions and praiseworthy, even awe-inspiring, efforts by indie and smaller studios. And we have such a diverse options in genres, a few years back it was simply movie games, now its EVERYTHING GOES.

I used to feel that '98 was the golden year but now I truly believe we are in the golden age of gaming. Not golden year but AGE.

We are in it for a lot of good fun, boys and girls.

Ouh, recently I was hooked line and sinker with Starbound. Made me feel super happy with my hobby.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Don't Starve is the last one I can think of

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

Recently, souls/bloodborne.

I have been forcing myself to finish most games in the last few years as its just boring

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Ori and the Blind Forest and Witcher 3 most recently.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

GTA V (played for the first time on PC) and Witcher 3 were both very impressive.

I want to give a shout out to The Talos Principle though, absolutely amazing game that doesn't get enough recognition. It kinda blew my mind when I played it last December.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

When I played Dark Souls for the first time

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@playharderfool said:

Do you realize that, despite Shovel Knight, all of the games that reinvigorated your interest in gaming are Japanese?

Just something I noticed, a lot of other posters are mostly mentioning games and studios like Platinum for games that reminded them why they love gaming. It's interesting considering how people like to rag on Japanese games and their lack of worth or value to gaming.

Yep, and even Shovel Knight heavily borrows mostly from great Japanese games of the NES days like Megaman, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, etc..

People love to spew hate about Japanese devs, but if I were to list my top 30 favorite games of all time I know that most (if not all) of them would be Japanese games. I know Japans output has been in a slump for a while, but I still feel like they develop some of the best games out there even if they are fewer in number these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Dark Souls

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

For me, right now the two games Im playing: Witcher 3 and Life is Strange.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

The Peggle games. No matter how shitty I play, I always feel like I almost broke some world records & shit.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

First one that comes to mind is Brutal Legend. Yeah the gameplay gets shit on all the time, but the world that was created and how you interact with it was something you can't get in any other medium.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@LZ71: Dude that's exactly how I feel about Psychonauts. Must be a Schafer thing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp

@playharderfool said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

I haven't changed my mantra on the following: on their best day I'll take a great japanese studio over an alleged great western studio. Nintendo on their best day is still the class of the field, and when Capcom is on all cylinders, Platinum, From Software, Mikami, Kojima, etc it's a different brand of game from the western outing.

To me the best western stuff is indie stuff. Usually it's a by product of a simple concept: Japan's best games tend to be gameplay centric, ditto for the indie scene since they can't compete in production value. Western triple A devs? presentation, presentation, presentation, story, presentation, look how pretty our tech is, presentation.

It is what it is.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

@Guy_Brohski said:

@LZ71: Dude that's exactly how I feel about Psychonauts. Must be a Schafer thing.

Was gonna say Psychonauts too, but I played Brutal more recently so I went with that. Makes me want to get off my lazy ass and finally play Broken Age, I got sort of scared off after people tore Part 2 apart.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#47 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I don't need one. I know why I am a gamer same as I know why I like films. Entertainment.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Anything metal gear, even 4 to an extent despite it easily being the worst (Poor snake, getting cucked by that bitch meryl with Johnny shit pants and turned mega old). Just amazing games.

Kojima you better be planning something big after phantom pain, don't just fade away.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Splatoon comes to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Oh Plenty. Games I playied this year, that reminded me:

-Captain Toad

- Resogun

- Dying Light (in co-op

- Pillars of Eternity

- Hyperdimention Neptunia: Re;birth2

- Super Mario 3

- The Legend of Zelda (yeah that old heap of 8-bit).

- Golden Axe

- Company of Heroes

- Astebreed

- Tropico 5

- War for the Overworld

- River City Ransom

- Endless Legend

- The Witcher 3

- Lego Jurassic World