Games No Longer Want To Be Games: An Identity Crisis Or A Maturing Industry?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -

What happens when games decide they dont want to be games anymore? What happens when developers dont want their games to be "GAMEY" anymore. Is that an identity crisis, or is that just a sign of the industry maturing?

Hmm.......Well its incredibly ironic!

Compare pacman to, idk, mass effect 3. Just notice how much video games have changed. Gaming has evolved in so many ways, but I think the big difference we can notice between say pacman and mass effect is this: games have been progressively transforming into interactive movies.

pacman.gifMass-Effect-3-.jpg

THIS IS NO SMALL MATTER. In fact right now the gaming industry is hitting a fork in the road. While on one hand games want to stick to their roots and focus on high scores, achievements, grinding, statistics, there is also a movement in the industry that is wholeheartedly convinced the future of gaming is to make games indistinguishable from movies. And perhaps that is just the logical next step for gaming, a step id jokingly say hideo kojima has been promoting for ages.

But here is the main focus, i think we all generally dont mind our games becoming cinematic with moderation. For example mass effect 3 is extremely cinematic but at least players have plenty of involvement. Even a game like GTAV can be admired for how movie-like it presents itself. But there have been many developers that we accuse of taking this movement too far. Developers like naughty dog and the devs of heavy rain for example, many fans would argue their new products arent games at all but rather movies with quicktime events.

SO THEN!! the question for you guys, the industry is quite convinced the future of gaming is CINEMATICS. Becoming closer and closer to movies. Is that truly a horrific direction for our industry or is it time we redefine our definition of what a game really is and make a martyr of the old school ways in the name of evolution

#3 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Unfortunately the trend will continue more next gen. As console hardware becomes more powerful, developers have more tools and techniques to make their worlds believable, and much more realistic. Thus, we will see more Uncharted esque games and cinematics.

#4 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Games becoming more and more like movies is the worst possible thing that can happen to this medium and anyone who disagrees is, quite frankly, wrong.

#6 Posted by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Gaming for the most part has lost it's identity. Nintendo is here to keep the meaning alive.

#7 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

Last of Us, Farcry, Dishonored, Crysis, etc.
People care more about cinematics and graphics than gameplay. Miyamoto and Retro will continue to give us true games that live up to the meaning.

#8 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -

People care more about cinematics and graphics than gameplay. Miyamoto and Retro will continue to give us true games that live up to the meaning.

Samus3D
Hmm, i wouldnt say dishonored counts as one of the big games in the "cinematics movement". If anything, dishonored is actually pretty old school. No real cutscenes, just a playground with no rules. Dishonored respects the player alot, sort of the antithesis of a game like uncharted which wants to keep u to the script
#9 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

I don't understand, so trying to improve on aspects they couldn't before means having an Identity crisis? Very few games are actually like movies, the only ones this gen I can think of are Uncharted and Heavy Rain.

#10 Posted by illmatic87 (15157 posts) -
A perception crisis of an aging demographic.
#11 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

There are more different kinds of games out now than ever before. Fanboys wear some thick goggles nowadays. You can mention all the cinematic games you desire, fact is there are more games that aren't like those than are.

#12 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

Games becoming more and more like movies is the worst possible thing that can happen to this medium and anyone who disagrees is, quite frankly, wrong.

DarkLink77

Well you did recommend someone purchase Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 today, so you aren't really helping the cause :P

#13 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Samus3D

You realize you listed 3 games with quite good gameplay and 1 game that hasn't released yet right? Oh wait nvm I saw your second sentence, it explains everything.

#14 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -

There are more different kinds of games out now than ever before. Fanboys wear some thick goggles nowadays. You can mention all the cinematic games you desire, fact is there are more games that aren't like those than are.

whiskeystrike
Hey whiskeystrike, I do not think there is enough evidence here for u to categorize this as a "famboy issue". Especially since the term "fanboy" deals with allegiances, yet the argument of games being too cinematic is a neutral and broad topic. Now my reply to your point though. You are absolutely right, it is not like video games have fully transitioned into movies. Frankly we still got games like borderlands, dark souls, skyrim, xcom, and so many others that forget the cinematics and deliver us what games are expected to! But its not about the number of games that do what and how. Its about trends, patterns, in the industry. And when you analyze the trends amongst blockbuster games and games that have real impact, games are ataling on a more cinematic form. And there is a hierarchy of course! With games like uncharted and heavy rain all the way at the top. But even look at a game like mass effect or gtaV. Now they are not interactive movies, right? But that does not mean they do not reflecf the trends of the industry. Case in point, go watch the last video for gtaV. Its a game that wants you to be impressed with its cinematic presentation. Im gonna make a hasty, possibly invaldi assumption based off ur Tales of Xillia pic that blockbusters and mainstream games arent ur main focus. Understand we are talking about trends in mainstream gaming. And im sorry if ypu disagree but frankly that is the case, games want to be movie like. Its something i notice constantly. Something i noticed even starting farcry 3 today. Sometimes their cinematic presentation doesnt hinder their gameplay. And thats good. But it still reflects the industry's mindset
#15 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

Gaming is a huge industry.

Paying attention to only the wanna be movies from the major publishers is like only paying attention to the tv shows on the 4 major american tv networks.

#16 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -

Paying attention to only the wanna be movies from the major publishers is like only paying attention to the tv shows on the 4 major american tv networks.

topgunmv
There are a ton of shows on tv but it doesnt mean we can not notice trends and patterns across the major shows and deduct the common mindset amongst tv directors. Same goes wth movies right? Its generally believed gritty dark movies are trending. Now lets look at the reality, the number of non gritty movies actually outnumber the gritty movies. But u gotta consider what people are taking into account and what is considered negligible. And same goes with games. Its generally believed games are becoming more cinematic, and u know what there are tons of exceptions. TONS! But ud have to be blind not to see the direction many developers are trying to push the industry. And the signs are sometimes subtle, sometimes painfully obvious!
#17 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Ly_the_Fairy

Well you did recommend someone purchase Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 today, so you aren't really helping the cause :P

It's okay in moderation, and in God of War's defense, it's still exceptionally gamey. Uncharted's aight. I don't think it's as prevalent as people claim, but if the entire industry went that way, it'd be bad.
#18 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

ms555

There are a ton of shows on tv but it doesnt mean we can not notice trends and patterns across the major shows and deduct the common mindset amongst tv directors. Same goes wth movies right? Its generally believed gritty dark movies are trending. Now lets look at the reality, the number of non gritty movies actually outnumber the gritty movies. But u gotta consider what people are taking into account and what is considered negligible. And same goes with games. Its generally believed games are becoming more cinematic, and u know what there are tons of exceptions. TONS! But ud have to be blind not to see the direction many developers are trying to push the industry. And the signs are sometimes subtle, sometimes painfully obvious!

The future of big budget (most of which goes to paying for commericals) games maybe.

#19 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
What makes a game a "game" is an organic set of tools that can be used by a player in an inordinate number of ways. It doesn't have to be a sandbox game (although these tend to be rather good at it), all it needs to do is offer the ability for the player to do something the developer did not intend. Speed running is an excellent example of gamers doing things with games that the developer never really intended originally. Organic games allow the player to "make their own fun/story" without relying on heavy scripting or hand-holding. Games that try to be more like movies (in terms of gameplay, not necessarily narrative delivery) are just sending gaming in a wholly improper direction. Medal of Honor: Warfighter is an example of this problem.
#20 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

the question for you guys, the industry is quite convinced the future of gaming is CINEMATICS. Becoming closer and closer to movies. Is that truly a horrific direction for our industry or is it time we redefine our definition of what a game really is and make a martyr of the old school ways in the name of evolution

ms555

I think the future of gaming will go in all directions simultaneously.

We'll get games as movie like as today, even more movie like games - we'll get a whole spectrum, as well as entirely new genres etc.

#21 Posted by Jankarcop (8998 posts) -

Samus3D

Farcry and Dishonered aren't movie-games or linear.

#22 Posted by jg4xchamp (47418 posts) -
Identity Crisis more often. I'm not against cinematic games completely, but trying to be like the movies will consistently point out how much better film is as a medium at story telling. What we should be working on is doing things that only this medium can pull off. The interactivity/gameplay is what makes the medium what it is. If it's supposedly the art form that it is, then that needs to be driving force behind it.
#23 Posted by jg4xchamp (47418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Samus3D"]

Jankarcop

Farcry and Dishonered aren't movie-games or linear.

Or the original Crysis for that matter. In fact the original was every bit a game. Fantastic even for the first half...and then the aliens happened.
#24 Posted by bobbetybob (19184 posts) -

Games like Pac Man still exist they're just on phones and stuff like XBLA now. Nobody is going to pay $60 for a puzzle game any more unless it offers something more (like Portal). Story has become important because it's what leads you through a game, people like to be engaged with characters if they're going to have to play as them for hours on end, imagine if an FPS just dropped you into a world and said "Go here, pull this switch, shoot that thing" with no story or characters it would be feel hilariously outdated.

In my eyes the only games that have aspired to be interactive movies are the Uncharted series and things like Heavy Rain. Mass Effect is an RPG, they're always been story heavy, there's a difference between that and those previous games I mentioned, a very big difference.

#25 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Identity Crisis more often. I'm not against cinematic games completely, but trying to be like the movies will consistently point out how much better film is as a medium at story telling. What we should be working on is doing things that only this medium can pull off. The interactivity/gameplay is what makes the medium what it is. If it's supposedly the art form that it is, then that needs to be driving force behind it. jg4xchamp

reverse-1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clap

Well said.

#26 Posted by Epak_ (6765 posts) -

[QUOTE="Samus3D"]

GD1551

You realize you listed 3 games with quite good gameplay and 1 game that hasn't released yet right? Oh wait nvm I saw your second sentence, it explains everything.

I agree, what are you on Samus?

#27 Posted by N30F3N1X (7982 posts) -

Pac-Man with modern day graphics would have a more compelling story than ME3.

If that's what you mean by "maturing" then we are all doomed.

-

Nothing says the way games were originally conceived has always been and always will be the way games are meant to be. In the eighties we simply could not conceive the way games would have been 10 or 20 years later. They were quick timekillers that didn't require any mental effort beside memorization of patterns and quick reflexes, the same thing we would expect today out of a flash game.

With that said I'm against pretentious games that take themselves too seriously to the point that they forget they are games.
Games like every Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Prototype, Diablo 3 are a majestic representation of everything games should try not to be. They are rotten in the core.

On the other hand the ingenuity and no nonsense attitude of the older gamemakers can still be found in today's games. Games like The Witcher 2, DXHR, King's Bounty, to some extent even Skyrim, try to do something more, but they never forget they are meant to be games. That's how it should be.

#28 Posted by jg4xchamp (47418 posts) -

With that said I'm against pretentious games that take themselves too seriously to the point that they forget they are games.
Games like Prototype are a majestic representation of everything games should try not to be. They are rotten in the core.

N30F3N1X

You mean the game about karate kicking choppers, and elbow dropping tankes? That game is pretentious, doesn't know it's a game, and all that jazz?

By no means do I think Prototype is great, but the game is pretty damn gamey. All the things it excells at are entirely gameplay related(mostly its core mechanics being very satisfying). In terms of movement, terrain mobility, powers, and general combat Prototype is actually pretty good. The missions designs being horrendous is hardly a lack of them seeing themselves as a game. As much as it feels like it was made by a studio who absolutely hates gamers.

#29 Posted by N30F3N1X (7982 posts) -

You mean the game about karate kicking choppers, and elbow dropping tankes? That game is pretentious, doesn't know it's a game, and all that jazz?

By no means do I think Prototype is great, but the game is pretty damn gamey. All the things it excells at are entirely gameplay related(mostly its core mechanics being very satisfying). In terms of movement, terrain mobility, powers, and general combat Prototype is actually pretty good. The missions designs being horrendous is hardly a lack of them seeing themselves as a game. As much as it feels like it was made by a studio who absolutely hates gamers.

jg4xchamp

Oh please.

The mechanics were junk. I enjoyed perhaps the first hour and a half when they still had the cool animation factor. When that wore off I managed to force myself to play it simply because the period when it came out was dry for games.

#30 Posted by jg4xchamp (47418 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You mean the game about karate kicking choppers, and elbow dropping tankes? That game is pretentious, doesn't know it's a game, and all that jazz?

N30F3N1X

Oh please.

The mechanics were junk. I enjoyed perhaps the first hour and a half when they still had the cool animation factor. When that wore off I managed to force myself to play it simply because the period when it came out was dry for games.

Even if that were the case(I disagree, but whatever I'm not wanting to argue for a game I didn't even think was good) That still wouldn't fit your label with how ME3/AC3/DA2/Diablo 3 do business. As it is it's not really a pretentious game, it's not an overly cinematic game, and everything about its action is meant to be chaotic and messy gameplay. In that regard it's not trying to be other than a game. Admittedly violent and borderline dumb game, but a game none the less.
#31 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
Identity Crisis more often. I'm not against cinematic games completely, but trying to be like the movies will consistently point out how much better film is as a medium at story telling. What we should be working on is doing things that only this medium can pull off. The interactivity/gameplay is what makes the medium what it is. If it's supposedly the art form that it is, then that needs to be driving force behind it. jg4xchamp
This hits it so hard..
#32 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
Of course it's having an identity crisis. It's in its puberty, after all.
#33 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

Signs of the medium maturing: Sleep is Death.

Signs of it ruining itself: Heavy Rain.

I think the term video games ia bit restrictive though.

#34 Posted by MBirdy88 (7733 posts) -

OB-47
Heavy Rain, along with other good adventure games are great GAMES. This childish opinion that interactive movies are not games is obsurd. And no, mass effect has lots of gameplay, it may not be the best, but I would like to see YOU pull off a better r[pg/shooter hybrid that manages to attract as many fans as mass effect has. pleanty of gameplay in there, wether anyone likes it or not. I would play it a 1000 times over compared to boring pac man. Competitive gaming is now incredible large and that is all about gameplay. th eMOBA genre on PC has consistantly around 500-700k players at peak times across only 3 games. MMOs, Shooters ect all focus on gameplay outside of single player campaigns. Graphics are tech based, Gameplay is design based, the latter is much harder to focus on, it really is a stroke of genius or pot luck to get it right. Don't blame graphic focus... graphics are just at tool.
#35 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

MBirdy88

Heavy Rain, along with other good adventure games are great GAMES. This childish opinion that interactive movies are not games is obsurd. And no, mass effect has lots of gameplay, it may not be the best, but I would like to see YOU pull off a better r[pg/shooter hybrid that manages to attract as many fans as mass effect has. pleanty of gameplay in there, wether anyone likes it or not. I would play it a 1000 times over compared to boring pac man. Competitive gaming is now incredible large and that is all about gameplay. th eMOBA genre on PC has consistantly around 500-700k players at peak times across only 3 games. MMOs, Shooters ect all focus on gameplay outside of single player campaigns. Graphics are tech based, Gameplay is design based, the latter is much harder to focus on, it really is a stroke of genius or pot luck to get it right. Don't blame graphic focus... graphics are just at tool.

The game in your avatar could not live up to its hype since it attempted to put a lot of focus on storytelling but failed in the execution. Banal story is no better than no story at all. In fact, having far less focus on story would free up the game and could have made it what it was supposed to be.

#36 Posted by 001011000101101 (3951 posts) -
Maturing industry. Things are changing. For the better, imo.
#37 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

DarkLink77
Any one who dissagrees probably doesn't have time to run around in a game like dragon's dogma throwing people off of cliffs. Games are fun, but they can easily eat away time with silly fun things to do or challenges to complete. I think the industry will have both, cinematic only games can't survive on their own because eventually people will get bored of playing games like that, On the other hand it's nice to have a game with minimal challenges and a lot of direction sometimes when TV just isn't enough but you don't want to have to put the effort into your next plan of attack in shogun.
#38 Posted by LordQuorthon (5287 posts) -

DarkLink77

This thread should have ended with this post. Too bad that's not going to happen.

#39 Posted by pelvist (4634 posts) -

Most of the big games on consoles and many of the big multi platform games I wouldnt even call games any more. More like interactive entertainment where you get to press a button every now and then to progress through a story you cant possibly loose at.

#40 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

It's one of the things I appreciate about Half Life 2 so much.

The game is still linear, and the story isn't amazing, but it does not funnel you to locations, and force you to see certain events unfold.

I had played the game a handful of times at this point, and this specific time I walked out into City 17 (quite a ways into the game when the civilians were rebelling at this point), and I will always remember seeing a group of them tearing down a monitor which was playing Dr Breen's propoganda.

It's something you may never see as you play the game, but it just amazes me that the story can change, even just that little bit, simply based on my own personal interaction with the game.

#41 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Just finished playing Uncharted 2 yesterday...I see where you're coming from. Uncharted 2 had excellent characters, graphics, writing, and story, but the gameplay definitely was lacking. The puzzles were too easy, the climbing became monotonous after a while, and the gunplay was good but a bit repetitive.

I don't think this is true for all games, however, but there is definitely more focus on graphics and story than in the past. That's the one thing I like about Nintendo, they care the most about gameplay over story.

#42 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Yeah not really... maybe if you stack the best up against the best, but average to average they are about the same...

#43 Posted by Mazoch (2408 posts) -
Video games can be more than one thing at a time. Just because technology has advanced to allow us to create games that explores new boundaries doesn't mean that the old type of simple and directly accessible games have been thrown away. Look at Tetris, Angry birds, Meatboy, Super Mario... there's plenty of games that uses simple (but hopefully enjoyable) game play mechanics. The difference is that we're are now seeing a range of different types of games in addition to classic arcade style games such as shooters and combat games. Building and creation games from Sim City to MineCraft to the Sims to Farmville. Adventure games, Interactive story games, and many more. It's not that the industry want to do only cinematic, its that we now have the ability to do tons of different things including cinematic.
#44 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15920 posts) -

You sound like some of the strategy game grognards (PC gaming) when FPS games started taking over. Well, you have two choices, go with the flow or quit gaming. A lot of the strategy grognards put their money where their mouth is. They quit gaming.

#45 Posted by Oscar-Wilde (1675 posts) -

"Gamey" games and cinematic games can or/and should coexist, old school CRPG like baldur's gate and Planescape did it, my favorite games/new genre this gen has been puzzle\RPGs like puzzle quest and might and magic: clash of heroes do it, there's been a resurgence of roguelikes on PC that do it and there also games like No more heroes, bulletstorm and Lara croft and the guardian of light this gen who strives on this mix of cimematics and arcade gaminess that are just play awesome that also do it

I would like to also remind people of the greatness PSN, Xbox live arcade, and the still thriving PC indie scene for still giving us those old style of games that we miss so much that mix these styles so well. I'll probably would have quit gaming if it wasn't for them.

#46 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Identity Crisis more often. I'm not against cinematic games completely, but trying to be like the movies will consistently point out how much better film is as a medium at story telling. What we should be working on is doing things that only this medium can pull off. The interactivity/gameplay is what makes the medium what it is. If it's supposedly the art form that it is, then that needs to be driving force behind it. GD1551

Yeah not really... maybe if you stack the best up against the best, but average to average they are about the same...

not even close. Video games at best are B movies. This trend towards the cinematic in video games shows that the video game industry is in bad shape. They think they have to be movies to be appealing. Being games is not enough.

#47 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Games used to be more arcade-y where the main aspect was the challenging gameplay. Story and characters were secondary. Mario's identity stems from his appearance not from his personality. Afterwards games start focusing more and more on story and character development with rpgs being the main example. Some rpgs chose simpler gameplay (mainly jrpgs) while other chose more complex gameplay (mainly wrpgs). Variety is a good thing, there's no reason why games should strive only for challenging gameplay like in arcade examples and not in story or cinematics or the other way around. We can have good combinations with cinematic looks and challenging deep gameplay. Some arcade cinematic games like Vanquish or some cinematic challenging complex games like Demon's Souls are good examples.
#48 Posted by Oscar-Wilde (1675 posts) -
Games used to be more arcade-y where the main aspect was the challenging gameplay. Story and characters were secondary. Mario's identity stems from his appearance not from his personality. Afterwards games start focusing more and more on story and character development with rpgs being the main example. Some rpgs chose simpler gameplay (mainly jrpgs) while other chose more complex gameplay (mainly wrpgs). Variety is a good thing, there's no reason why games should strive only for challenging gameplay like in arcade examples and not in story or cinematics or the other way around. We can have good combinations with cinematic looks and challenging deep gameplay. Some arcade cinematic games like Vanquish or some cinematic challenging complex games like Demon's Souls are good examples.kuraimen
Yay another poster gets it, good show man.
#49 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Funny stuff is that when mostly indie developers release arcade-y games now many of those whining about cinematic games being the norm don't consider those games in the same level as the cinematic ones and consider them of a lesser status. Like dl games like Super Meatboy or Megaman or Braid.
#50 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Identity Crisis more often. I'm not against cinematic games completely, but trying to be like the movies will consistently point out how much better film is as a medium at story telling. What we should be working on is doing things that only this medium can pull off. The interactivity/gameplay is what makes the medium what it is. If it's supposedly the art form that it is, then that needs to be driving force behind it. GunSmith1_basic

not even close. Video games at best are B movies. This trend towards the cinematic in video games shows that the video game industry is in bad shape. They think they have to be movies to be appealing. Being games is not enough.

So you don't think VG stories stack up to the likes of Total Recall (2012), Terminator (all), Titanic, Transformers, Expandables, Rambo, Rocky, TDK (series), Avengers, Skyfall etc etc .. or are all those B movies?

I don't see how expanding on VG narrative (when it actually has way more potential than film) is a bad thing, and most games aren't this overly movie type experience like uncharted is, infact movie type games are in an extreme minority. Just because you guys only see what the major publishers throw out doesn't make that the only games on the market. Additionally, if you think I am wrong, please tell me what makes a game trying to be a movie. Cutscenes? Trying to have a story? Occasional set pieces? I really want to know.