Games from last gen that haven't aged well?

• 50 results
Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

6th gen was the longest generation and because of this, a lot of developers had been using the same engines, or rushing out products when those engines became way more affordable for cash-in games. Another consequence is games that were top of the line the first few years of last gen, are now mostly, but not all, terrible to go back to.

From N3, to Haze, to Halo 3, to Oblivion, To Twilight princess, To Mad World, To Heavy Rain, To Doom 3, to GT5, to Fable 2, to pretty much most the Sonic games, to pretty much most the Megaman games. It's a pretty long list of games that have not ages well.

Which games do you think haven't aged well.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Mass Effect

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Most Sony exclusives. And Halo and Gears of War.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Last gen was 7th. I think fps and open world iterated and improved fastest, so early ones look pretty dire. Compare GTAV to Saints row 1, or Far Cry 4 to Perfect Dark Zero or Resistance 1. Thats essentially a generation gap imo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

PDZ and FM2 but to be fair, FM2 was crap compared to 3&4 so. :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I never thought Twilight Princess was aged poorly. Graphically, yes (technically, it had terribad textures right from the get go), but the game itself, I don't know.

I think the game that aged poorly has to be GTA4. Not saying it was a good game to start with, but yeah. Oblivion was shit from the start.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Not a believer in anything aging poorly, visually sure, but gameplay wise? Nah, reality is some of those games were never that good to begin with ala Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo 3, etc.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

I have no idea how people can be getting "gameplay" instead of visually after the Op. But no, this is about graphics.

wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

I went to replay through the mass effect trilogy for a second time and didn't get throught ME1.

does not age well in gameplay aspect at all.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Oblivion did not age well at all. Even with visual mods it still looks terrible today. GTA IV didn't age so gracefully either.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

Not a believer in anything aging poorly, visually sure, but gameplay wise? Nah, reality is some of those games were never that good to begin with ala Mass Effect, Uncharted, Halo 3, etc.

Sure you said Mario 64 'doesn't hold up' today. If that's the case, and what you just posted is the case, then Mario 64 was never good to begin with. Interesting.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

@bobrossperm said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Sure you said Mario 64 'doesn't hold up' today. If that's the case, and what you just posted is the case, then Mario 64 was never good to begin with. Interesting.

Some of it's level design? Sure a lot of it doesn't hold up today, it was getting passes for looking pretty at the time, and if it was judged on the merits of coming out of the Snes era when we had all these classic platformers, then yeah I'm saying that Mario 64 and a lot of the n64's games that got massive free passes for their technical achievements (Ocarina of Time being the biggest one for that) would have received more criticism than they actually got.

Do I think Mario 64 is still a great game? Yeah mechanically it's still top notch, the level variety is still mostly great, lot of content, and by the end of it you will be tested on your handle of said mechanics. But things like the camera isn't all that smooth at times, that was always there. Things like the levels have some pretty ordinary/bland design with 90 degree angles, that was always the case. Things like that one sky level where if you fall, you go back to the beginning of the castle? that shit was always there. You get what I'm saying? It's one thing when a game becomes a victim of its own success and everyone iterates on it, it's another when people were glossing over a short coming.

Admittedly this is mostly after replaying it recently. But, for the most part now I would go to bat for that game.

In the case of ME which I posted. That game ran poorly, that game had atrocious gunplay the day it launched, that game was always was shallow, that plotline and universe was built on a variety of scifi cliches that are easily noticeable if you so much as have a brief knowledge of other scifi films or books, that game's level design was pretty freakin bad for a tps even in 2007. To me that game didn't age, it always sucked. It just got apologized for.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IV

The major accomplishments of this game tend to lay on the technical side, namely how Liberty City is crafed and feels so organic. With those technical feats now bested and beyond, there's no real hook to the game anymore aside from something fundamentally clunky and structurally unsound. Not to mention the half-baked dating games, which just kinda suck. Niko's arc remains the one thing fascinating about GTA4 but it's not enough to wade through all the trouble to experience it.

The Ballad of Gay Tony, despite being in the same realm doesn't suffer from the same issues. The story is fun and varied enough to play to this day, and it's an interesting buffer between the mistakes Rockstar learned from making GTA4 and prototyping ideas which would making their way onto the fifth game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

@drinkerofjuice said:

Grand Theft Auto IV

The major accomplishments of this game tend to lay on the technical side, namely how Liberty City is crafed and feels so organic. With those technical feats now bested and beyond, there's no real hook to the game anymore aside from something fundamentally clunky and structurally unsound. Not to mention the half-baked dating games, which just kinda suck. Niko's arc remains the one thing fascinating about GTA4 but it's not enough to wade through all the trouble to experience it.

The Ballad of Gay Tony, despite being in the same realm doesn't suffer from the same issues. The story is fun and varied enough to play to this day, and it's an interesting buffer between the mistakes Rockstar learned from making GTA4 and prototyping ideas which would making their way onto the fifth game.

It's almost like Grand Theft Auto 4 was always a pretty shitty game, amirite? : >

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Mass Effect

I much as I hate to admit it, I agree. I still love the game, but the wonky, slugish controls, horrible inventory, and "only sometimes works" cover system makes an otherwise great game a slog to play through. That and it looks like ass.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Resistance 1.

Some PS2 games look better

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@drinkerofjuice said:

Grand Theft Auto IV

It's almost like Grand Theft Auto 4 was always a pretty shitty game, amirite? : >

that depends how much you like bowling

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim--basically every Bethesda game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • COD: Modern Warfare
  • Max Payne 3
  • TES 4: Oblivion
  • Dragon Age 2

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The first one that immediately springs to mind is Oblivion. The creepy mannequin people is the main reason I can't play it anymore. Though I did appreciate that if you were a Vampire sunlight actually hurts you (unlike Skyrim vampires).

The jump in just graphics alone to Skyrim in the same gen was just mind boggling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Oblivion is the poster boy for this.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Mass Effect 1 and Oblivion.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BobRossPerm
@jg4xchamp said:

@bobrossperm said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Some of it's level design? Sure a lot of it doesn't hold up today, it was getting passes for looking pretty at the time, and if it was judged on the merits of coming out of the Snes era when we had all these classic platformers, then yeah I'm saying that Mario 64 and a lot of the n64's games that got massive free passes for their technical achievements (Ocarina of Time being the biggest one for that) would have received more criticism than they actually got.

Do I think Mario 64 is still a great game? Yeah mechanically it's still top notch, the level variety is still mostly great, lot of content, and by the end of it you will be tested on your handle of said mechanics. But things like the camera isn't all that smooth at times, that was always there. Things like the levels have some pretty ordinary/bland design with 90 degree angles, that was always the case. Things like that one sky level where if you fall, you go back to the beginning of the castle? that shit was always there. You get what I'm saying? It's one thing when a game becomes a victim of its own success and everyone iterates on it, it's another when people were glossing over a short coming.

Admittedly this is mostly after replaying it recently. But, for the most part now I would go to bat for that game.

In the case of ME which I posted. That game ran poorly, that game had atrocious gunplay the day it launched, that game was always was shallow, that plotline and universe was built on a variety of scifi cliches that are easily noticeable if you so much as have a brief knowledge of other scifi films or books, that game's level design was pretty freakin bad for a tps even in 2007. To me that game didn't age, it always sucked. It just got apologized for.

Yeah I can get behind those criticisms. They were very much experimenting with 3D level design and they had room for improvement sure. And yes, mechanically I feel Mario 64 is still the best platformer out there. But Mario Sunshine is proof that mechanics alone does not make a great game. Though I personally love the shit out of that game and am not ashamed of it.

Mario 64 is a victim of the Galaxy series eclipsing it at almost every level. But that doesn't mean 64 is outmoded. And that cloud level where you fall back to the beginning isn't really a flaw. It's just a detail they added. Guess it could get annoying after failing a good few times.

Mass Effect was never my thing in the first place so I won't comment. Not remotely excited for 4. Though I appreciate people think it's the shit and stuff. Especially the second one which I haven't played. But I played a bit of 3 and was bored shitless. I'm contemplating playing 2 due to how much better it apparently is.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

No, I can believe things age poorly. Even within a gen, Gears is a huge difference from Gears 2 or 3. Halo and ODST almost look like previous gen games compared to Reach and Halo 4. I didn't get my 360 until a couple of years after my PS3, and I played a few of those games in reverse order... and when I went back to the originals I was like... damn this is unplayable.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@lostrib said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@drinkerofjuice said:

Grand Theft Auto IV

that depends how much you like bowling

I love bowling. So yeah, GTA 4 was one of the greatest games ever made.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

I'd say the early games from 2004-2006 that used alot of bump mapping and not so much detail on the textures. ie Doom3,Fear, etc

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#27 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Captainqwark10:
Dragon Age Origins... my god the graphics on that game are cringe worthy in spots (but the gameplay makes up for it).

OblivionHaze
Quake4
Mass Effect 1 (but the rpg elements are better in me1 than 2. Never played me3 though so can't say there..)

Uncharted 1 and Heavenly Sword from the beginning of Gen 7 still look amazing though.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Resistance and Killzone

I mean, console FPS have always been clunky by design, and the older they are the worse. But there's something just wrong with those 2 games in particular.

The DS3 is just plain horrible for first person shooters. So when one has to be made exclusively for it............yeah

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Visually: anything that used a gray/brown colour palette and tried to go for a realistic aesthetic at the same time. So Call of Duty, Gears, Resistance, etc...

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BobRossPerm
@deadline-zero0 said:

Resistance and Killzone

I mean, console FPS have always been clunky by design, and the older they are the worse. But there's something just wrong with those 2 games in particular.

The DS3 is just plain horrible for first person shooters. So when one has to be made exclusively for it............yeah

Depends which Killzone and Resistance. Killzone 2 and Resistance 3 are good games through and through.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Heavenly Sword, Halo 3, Gears of War 1, Resistance: Fall of Man, Alan Wake, Twilight Princess..

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

-inFAMOUS 1

-Red Dead Redemption

-Batman Arkham Asylum (because of Arkham City)

-God of War 3 was dated upon release

-The uncharted franchise will age really poorly in the future

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Modern FPS such as the COD games and many other fps that copy from it. I really find them outdated. In fact dare I say that older fps aged better then shooters today. And also games with mostly cut scenes aka movie games such as Max Payne 3 which I hated. That game aged bad compared to Max Payne 1 and 2 which were way better games in my opinion. Hell it aged bad the moment I played it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I'm glad that you think that about Mass Effect. I played it a few years back (think I was in high school) and was not impressed. It was KOTOR with more swearing and sex with too loose gameplay. I didn't see anything especially great about the world building, either. Pretty standard as far as WRPGs go. I don't agree it was a bad game (I enjoyed myself for the most part) but I do agree that hot damn is it littered with flaws.

Also, on topic, GTAV. Because it's not really a good game. Not compared to other open world games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp

@2Chalupas said:

@jg4xchamp said:

No, I can believe things age poorly. Even within a gen, Gears is a huge difference from Gears 2 or 3. Halo and ODST almost look like previous gen games compared to Reach and Halo 4. I didn't get my 360 until a couple of years after my PS3, and I played a few of those games in reverse order... and when I went back to the originals I was like... damn this is unplayable.

Yeah visuals, but actual core game design, as in how the game plays, as in the things that actually matter about a game are legit timeless when done effectively. Gears of War's campaign can look fugly all it wants in comparison to 2 and 3, it's better paced than 2 and 3 as a whole, and nowhere near as boring as 3. 2 I can at least get the argument that people prefer the better enemy variety. Halo's campaigns suck, but I do distinctly remember the Halo community going to bat for Halo 3 over Halo Reach and Halo 4 for multiplayer, another example graphics aren't everything.

More to the point the term unplayable is completely off base to boot.

@bobrossperm said:

Yeah I can get behind those criticisms. They were very much experimenting with 3D level design and they had room for improvement sure. And yes, mechanically I feel Mario 64 is still the best platformer out there. But Mario Sunshine is proof that mechanics alone does not make a great game. Though I personally love the shit out of that game and am not ashamed of it.

Mario 64 is a victim of the Galaxy series eclipsing it at almost every level. But that doesn't mean 64 is outmoded. And that cloud level where you fall back to the beginning isn't really a flaw. It's just a detail they added. Guess it could get annoying after failing a good few times.

Mass Effect was never my thing in the first place so I won't comment. Not remotely excited for 4. Though I appreciate people think it's the shit and stuff. Especially the second one which I haven't played. But I played a bit of 3 and was bored shitless. I'm contemplating playing 2 due to how much better it apparently is.

Bottom line: this thread is a glorified "this game was overrated" thread, because every failure that game had was there on fucking launch day.

Oblivion? The shit combat, the poor dungeons, the level scaling, the sheer dumbing down of so many elements from Morrowind that wasn't all positive, etc. It was a bad RPG that got glossed over because it looked pretty. Technical shit always ages, but the truly best games ever tend to age gracefully because they were great where it mattered. Even good games, Gears of War from 06 looks like butt, but it's a totally enjoyable shooter still, to this day. Likewise Alan Wake didn't age, it's just as average now as it was when it launched. It's not like the repetition is shit you couldn't notice in 2010, it's not like you couldn't notice the bad lip synching, it's not like you couldn't realize how limp dick it is to end a game on a fucking boss fight with a Tornado.

That's my beef.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

MGS4 and GT4 both looked like crap before the PS4 and XBone were even announced.

There are plenty but im picking on those two since they are both 10/10s, you would think they would have hold up better.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

-inFAMOUS 1

-Red Dead Redemption

???????????

Ok hold on there buddy....

Infamous 1 looked like crap since day one and every one said it had the worse graphics out of all PS3 exclusive. If a game never looked great to begin with, why would any one expect it to age well?

IDK whats so wrong with RDR, even for today's standards.

God of War 3?????????????????? are you fucking kidding me? that shit was amazing looking and still is, the **** are you on?

Please explain how Uncharted will age poorly? I honestly cant see it.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@Captainqwark10: I'm going to disagree with Halo 3 on your list. It is easily the best of the series. Halo Reach had some pretty obvious design flaws, and graphically speaking the gray filter over everything really brought the visuals down imo.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

@Nengo_Flow

RDR looks very pixelated.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

-inFAMOUS 1

-Red Dead Redemption

???????????

Ok hold on there buddy....

Infamous 1 looked like crap since day one and every one said it had the worse graphics out of all PS3 exclusive. If a game never looked great to begin with, why would any one expect it to age well?

IDK whats so wrong with RDR, even for today's standards.

God of War 3?????????????????? are you fucking kidding me? that shit was amazing looking and still is, the **** are you on?

Please explain how Uncharted will age poorly? I honestly cant see it.

It's not just about the visuals. I went with games that I can no longer enjoy playing from a gameplay perspective. Most of these I used to enjoy, but find I cannot revisit them.

God of war has a very dated formula that's reminiscent of very restrictive NES titles. Most games have moved beyond a very strict beginning to end formula that has no means of revisiting chapters and has no scoring system whatsoever. After 3 iterations you'd think they'd add some kind of reason to play the game beyond the bare minimum. It's still a solid enough game, but its extremely outclassed at this point.

Uncharted is a series that mostly gains praise from visual presentation. It's not going to stay pretty forever. It sure as hell won't be remembered for the gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@bobrossperm said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I don't think so. In fact, they play so differently I don't even know if it is worth comparing them. Mario 64 really pushed 3D platforming. It strived for something inherently difficult. Galaxy, even though it is a 3D game, is much slower and has a more restrictive 2d level design.

I won't claim the Mario 64 cam as perfect, far from it, but the camera options actually help out quite a bit. Try switching to the second(Laikitu) option for the R button.

Nintendo did things right with that N64 analog stick. For 3d games a circular gate is not as effective. Nintendo need to bring that back and restock the gamecube adaptor and start bringing out old console style controllers.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

One that really stuck out to me was Gears of War 1. I reinstalled it on my PC and was taken aback by how clunky it controlled. It left me thinking "I played this? And liked it?"

@The_Stand_In said:

That and it looks like ass.

Do you have the Xbox 360 or PC version? The PC version has an amazing visual overhaul mod. It doesn't help the game's stability or gameplay, but at least it looks prettier.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#43 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@AcidTango said:

Modern FPS such as the COD games and many other fps that copy from it. I really find them outdated. In fact dare I say that older fps aged better then shooters today. And also games with mostly cut scenes aka movie games such as Max Payne 3 which I hated. That game aged bad compared to Max Payne 1 and 2 which were way better games in my opinion. Hell it aged bad the moment I played it.

+100

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

I still play games such as PONG..I dont have eyes made of glass nor do i dry hump my screen over graphics..so..having said that..the original splinter cell,halo ce,resident evil,mario 64,nes zelda,atari 2600 combat,all look incredible to me..as does cod2,kameo,kill zone 2,ssx,..to me new games look ok but nothing head turning from last gen so far.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Captainqwark10 said:

6th gen was the longest generation and because of this, a lot of developers had been using the same engines, or rushing out products when those engines became way more affordable for cash-in games. Another consequence is games that were top of the line the first few years of last gen, are now mostly, but not all, terrible to go back to.

From N3, to Haze, to Halo 3, to Oblivion, To Twilight princess, To Mad World, To Heavy Rain, To Doom 3, to GT5, to Fable 2, to pretty much most the Sonic games, to pretty much most the Megaman games. It's a pretty long list of games that have not ages well.

Which games do you think haven't aged well.

Doom 3 is the gen with Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox.

I say it holds up well considering that and it's age.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RyviusARC

@vtoshkatur said:

Oblivion did not age well at all. Even with visual mods it still looks terrible today. GTA IV didn't age so gracefully either.

Really?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh... I'm not sure I entirely agree. It's like watching old movies from the 1920's, technical limitations of the era, invention of new mechanics, and contemporary ideology tint the experience in a new light.

At the same time I can definitely agree that some games do withstand the erosion of time more than others.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RyviusARC

@Legend002 said:

Mass Effect

It looks ok to me.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Witcher 2 looks incredibly dated on ultra 1440p on PC it just looks weirdly dated. The character models look fantastic still but the environments are dark and kind of wooden I made a thread about it and people disagree because it's basically a PC game and anyone who dares to say any PC game doesn't look amazing in high res needs to be shot because that's how stupid PC gamers are.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RyviusARC

@blueinheaven said:

Witcher 2 looks incredibly dated on ultra 1440p on PC it just looks weirdly dated. The character models look fantastic still but the environments are dark and kind of wooden I made a thread about it and people disagree because it's basically a PC game and anyone who dares to say any PC game doesn't look amazing in high res needs to be shot because that's how stupid PC gamers are.

Looks fine to me.

It was the best looking game at the time of it's release.

Maybe you had ubersampling disabled while still having sharpening enabled which makes the game look really bad.

Only reason to keep sharpening enabled is when you have Ubersampling enabled.