Games are not even out and already announcing DLC...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by accesdenied (466 posts) -

thats just a slap in the face, and companies lol right at you. just saying. now go and get your games.

#2 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

I have a feeling that this thread might convince them to do otherwise

#3 Posted by accesdenied (466 posts) -

haha I like you your sarcasm

#4 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
1. 5 years too late. 2. what do you expect devs to do when game goes gold...sit on their ass?
#5 Posted by accesdenied (466 posts) -

whats five years too late?

and no you make a new game. but you didnt read the thread. so here so you can see GAMES ARE NOT EVEN OUT (did you catch that, that means the game is still developing) AND ALREADY ANNOUNCING DLC...

so if I saw a developer sitting on his ass all day doing nothing while my game is being developed someones getting fired.

#6 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
If you don't buy it, eventually they'll stop making it. Simple as that! :)
#7 Posted by mems_1224 (47789 posts) -
dont buy it....problem solved
#8 Posted by Sushiglutton (5390 posts) -
Don't buy games new. Wait a year and pick up the GOTY edition. All patches have been released, all content in one place, no hassle, cheap :)! Easy gaming!
#9 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

GAMES ARE NOT EVEN OUT (did you catch that, that means the game is still developing)accesdenied

http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-4-done-6397200

Halo 4 has been out since September 26? Jeez, they could have told us about it back then...

#10 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

On the other hand, many games are coming with more content out of the box than in the past.

#11 Posted by clyde46 (46992 posts) -

On the other hand, many games are coming with more content out of the box than in the past.

Cranler
On disc DLC is worse.
#12 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

whats five years too late?

and no you make a new game. but you didnt read the thread. so here so you can see GAMES ARE NOT EVEN OUT (did you catch that, that means the game is still developing) AND ALREADY ANNOUNCING DLC...

so if I saw a developer sitting on his ass all day doing nothing while my game is being developed someones getting fired.

accesdenied

Games go gold(are completed) usually about a month before the game actually releases. So some developers might make DLC within that month.

#13 Posted by Justinps2hero (2172 posts) -
DLC, a useful feature if implemented correctly. Unfortunately its just seen as a cash cow buy the devs, sad but true. Vote with your feet.
#14 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7582 posts) -
If it is on disc DLC and the only way to get it is buying the dlc then yes I generally have a problem with it. Some developers are known for that such as Capcom. There are cases were it is not as bad though 1- If it is DLC that comes free with new owners I do not have as much a problem with it. The DLC though imo has to be fluff and not necessary to any part of the game even if it is just the story but instead just more game. I understand the need to encourage new buyers with the used market so big. 2-large games that go through quality control so the game can go gold takes a lot of time and they can not add to the game during that point. Instead of just doing nothing they work on new content. They can put together a 4 to 5 dlc while waiting since most of the assets they would use are already done from the main game.
#15 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Don't buy games new. Wait a year and pick up the GOTY edition. All patches have been released, all content in one place, no hassle, cheap :)! Easy gaming!Sushiglutton

An excellent advice, works on almost all big releases with plenty of DLC, they all eventually get the "Complete edition"! :)

#16 Posted by jdc6305 (3951 posts) -

I no longer buy games new or when they come out. I wait for complete editions and price drops. I'm sick of buying broken games on release and DLC. Game companies can kiss my ass with their tactics to milk us.

#17 Posted by Sushiglutton (5390 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Don't buy games new. Wait a year and pick up the GOTY edition. All patches have been released, all content in one place, no hassle, cheap :)! Easy gaming!Rocker6

An excellent advice, works on almost all big releases with plenty of DLC, they all eventually get the "Complete edition"! :)

I wish I could follow it myself more :( :P
#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
no, thats called planning. BUT i know what you mean.
#19 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

1. 5 years too late. 2. what do you expect devs to do when game goes gold...sit on their ass?campzor

Lots of DLC is written and tested along with the main game then disabled before release. People that buy day 1 dlc are causing the problem.

#20 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]1. 5 years too late. 2. what do you expect devs to do when game goes gold...sit on their ass?tenaka2

Lots of DLC is written and tested along with the main game then disabled before release. People that buy day 1 dlc are causing the problem.

im talking about the dlc which isnt day 1..but still announced before launch.
#21 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

It was known that GTA IV would get episodic content before it launched... didnt see anyone crying about that.

#22 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
-Game is released with mention of expansion pack coming some day. -Expansion pack is released a year later -"OMG THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE DISC TO START WITH YOU GUYS"
#23 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

-Game is released with mention of expansion pack coming some day. -Expansion pack is released a year later -"OMG THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE DISC TO START WITH YOU GUYS"tagyhag

Got no problem with that... problem however, is Day 1 DLC On-disc DLC.

That's a rip-off and "don't buy it" just doesn't cut it, you're still getting ripped off.

#24 Posted by lundy86_4 (43861 posts) -

There are differeing scenarios here:

1. Games that reach Gold whilst content is still being worked on, thus it must be released later, rather than postponing the release of the full game.
  2. Games that reach Gold but companies announce intended DLC for the games.
#25 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -

It's only really a problem when developers take content out of the game to turn it into DLC.

#26 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]-Game is released with mention of expansion pack coming some day. -Expansion pack is released a year later -"OMG THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE DISC TO START WITH YOU GUYS"GreenGoblin2099

Got no problem with that... problem however, is Day 1 DLC On-disc DLC.

That's a rip-off and "don't buy it" just doesn't cut it, you're still getting ripped off.

Yeah that annoys me too. However, they wouldn't have it anymore if enough people didn't buy them so that's unfortunate.