Gameinformer's GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
And it is...
#2 Posted by mems_1224 (47810 posts) -
already a thread on this. GG, better luck next time.
#3 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

I knew what it was going to be just by looking at the TC of this thread.

#4 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

Mass_Effect_3.jpg

#5 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]And it is...

The ending caused an uproar but honestly this was the obvious winner of the year. One of the best games all gen, from one of the best franchises of all time. Mass effect 2 was a tad better tho
#6 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"
#7 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"

and yet it won....maybe because you are wrong. Ending was fixed. Choices did matter. The multiplayer was a suprise. Lore was fine...all in the narrative. Level design was ok...so its not great but even GOTY's have weaknesses. Three dimensional characters with full character development. And the only Deus Ex Machina was subverted and turned on its head.
#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (7973 posts) -

What is it with all these GotY awards already happening? This isn't January yet, the year is not over. Far Cry 3 has just released and it seems to be one of the most highly regarded games this year and yet GI has already selected their winner. Since when is it normal for GotY awards to disregard the final month of the year? Or have they always been December-November instead of January-December?

#9 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
and yet it won....texasgoldrush
Whoops... did I accidentally wander into the Gameinformer forums by mistake?
#11 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]and yet it won....Zeviander
Whoops... did I accidentally wander into the Gameinformer forums by mistake?

and it will win numerous GOTYs, get over it.
#12 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
 Or have they always been December-November instead of January-December?elisay
depends on the site.
#13 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"

The original emding had tons of plot holes yes. But its general consensus that mass effect actually does character development better than almost any other franchise. Do u know how popular Garrus is? Hahaha All reviews actually said the multiplayer is good and works. And it really does, it was fun and served the story properly. The lore sucked? Its almost the complete opposite, its one of the biggest richest lores of any gaming franchise. Do some research, ull see theres a ton to the lore. And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium.
#14 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
and it will win numerous GOTYs, get over it.texasgoldrush
This is Gamespot bro. Get over it.
#15 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="ms555"] The original emding had tons of plot holes yes. But its general consensus that mass effect actually does character development better than almost any other franchise. Do u know how popular Garrus is? Hahaha All reviews actually said the multiplayer is good and works. And it really does, it was fun and served the story properly. The lore sucked? Its almost the complete opposite, its one of the biggest richest lores of any gaming franchise. Do some research, ull see theres a ton to the lore. And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium.

ur doin it wrong
#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (7973 posts) -

[QUOTE="elisay"] Or have they always been December-November instead of January-December?texasgoldrush
depends on the site.

Then I don't get how they can claim any game GotY when they don't fully take into account the entire year. Most of the noteworthy games arrive around the holidays. Any GotY award that disregards any month is irrelevant.

#17 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="ms555"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"

The original emding had tons of plot holes yes. But its general consensus that mass effect actually does character development better than almost any other franchise. Do u know how popular Garrus is? Hahaha All reviews actually said the multiplayer is good and works. And it really does, it was fun and served the story properly. The lore sucked? Its almost the complete opposite, its one of the biggest richest lores of any gaming franchise. Do some research, ull see theres a ton to the lore. And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium.

And the multiplayer is still supported....the boss killer Quarian Marksman Solider was released yesterday. Its amazing how each character plays so very differently. Nevermind the ending was a classic DEM does backwards.....a classic DEM has a god pulled down by a "crane" to contrively solve the problems of the mortals and the protagonist. In ME3, the protagonist gets the "crane" to solve the problem of the god (which causes problems of the mortals). So basically, there is no true DEM as a literary device.
#18 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="ms555"] The original emding had tons of plot holes yes. But its general consensus that mass effect actually does character development better than almost any other franchise. Do u know how popular Garrus is? Hahaha All reviews actually said the multiplayer is good and works. And it really does, it was fun and served the story properly. The lore sucked? Its almost the complete opposite, its one of the biggest richest lores of any gaming franchise. Do some research, ull see theres a ton to the lore. And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium.

ur doin it wrong

No, you are doing it wrong. He is expalining how ME3 will win awards.
#19 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -

The other Biodrone beat you to it.

Also :lol: Game Informer.

#20 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] No, you are doing it wrong. He is expalining how ME3 will win awards.

I'm doin it so right. Where is the essay telling us how wrong we are?
#21 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. ms555
Only by people who don't know a damn thing about science-fiction.
#22 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. DarkLink77

Well then there must be hundreds of idiots
#23 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

I don't think Mass Effect 3 is a bad game by any means, but I also don't think that a narrative-centric game which implements one of the worst deus ex machinas in recent memory should be winning GOTY awards

#24 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. ms555

They're not idiots. They're just completely ignorant of science fiction. Tell me, have you ever read William S. Gibson? J.G. Ballard? Robert A. Heinlein? Asimov? Arthur C. Clarke? Ursula K. LeGuin? Phillip K. Dick?
#25 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -

I don't think Mass Effect 3 is a bad game by any means, but I also don't think that a narrative-centric game which implements one of the worst deus ex machinas in recent memory should be winning GOTY awards

WTA2k5
wrong read my comment in this thread on how it SUBVERTS the Deus Ex Machina.
#26 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

[QUOTE="ms555"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Only by people who don't know a damn thing about science-fiction.DarkLink77

They're not idiots. They're just completely ignorant of science fiction. Tell me, have you ever read William S. Gibson? J.G. Ballard? Robert A. Heinlein? Asimov? Arthur C. Clarke? Ursula K. LeGuin? Phillip K. Dick?

Man, thinking of all their material makes me wish games would take more cues from their respective brands of sci-fi instead of basically just Star Wars and Star Trek.

#27 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"] Well then there must be hundreds of idiotsWTA2k5

Man, thinking of all their material makes me wish games would take more cues from their respective brands of sci-fi instead of basically just Star Wars and Star Trek.

That's not even all of the, though. That's all of the ones I could think of off the top of my head without Google or getting up to look at my bookshelf.
#28 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"] Well then there must be hundreds of idiotsWTA2k5

and yet the ending is not pulled out of any of those franchises....nevermind that Riddick and Blade Runner are also influences for Mass Effect.
#29 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They're not idiots. They're just completely ignorant of science fiction. Tell me, have you ever read William S. Gibson? J.G. Ballard? Robert A. Heinlein? Asimov? Arthur C. Clarke? Ursula K. LeGuin? Phillip K. Dick?texasgoldrush

and yet the ending is not pulled out of any of those franchises....nevermind that Riddick and Blade Runner are also influences for Mass Effect.

No, instead they stole the ending from Deus Ex.
#30 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

texasgoldrush

I guess you're right in some sense, Shepard is called upon to find a solution for the gods instead of vice versa. The problem still remains that this final set of solutions (s)he's presented with still aren't organic to the rest of the narrative. The sudden shoehorning of an easy, conflic-resolving plot element at the last possible moment is still a DEM in my book.

#31 Posted by jg4xchamp (49281 posts) -

They did. Mass Effect also threw in some Escape of the Body Snatchers and Battlestar Galactica while it was at it. Mass Effect has a pretty good universe on a fundamental level, but it's the part where you can tell exactly where it cherry picked its ideas from that make it less impressive. Plus as far as space operas go the trilogy didn't exactly show up without missing some sh1t.
#32 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

DarkLink77

Wrong Only one ending is even comparable to Deus Ex...and not the original, but Invisible War. The others are nothing like Deus Ex.
#33 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and yet the ending is not pulled out of any of those franchises....nevermind that Riddick and Blade Runner are also influences for Mass Effect.

Wrong Only one ending is even comparable to Deus Ex...and not the original, but Invisible War. The others are nothing like Deus Ex.

Nope. They stole it from Human Revolution.
#34 Posted by TrueAmerican007 (700 posts) -
Isn't this the Biodrone that was hyped for that Rapelay 2 game????
#35 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They're not idiots. They're just completely ignorant of science fiction. Tell me, have you ever read William S. Gibson? J.G. Ballard? Robert A. Heinlein? Asimov? Arthur C. Clarke? Ursula K. LeGuin? Phillip K. Dick?jg4xchamp

They did. Mass Effect also threw in some Escape of the Body Snatchers and Battlestar Galactica while it was at it. Mass Effect has a pretty good universe on a fundamental level, but it's the part where you can tell exactly where it cherry picked its ideas from that make it less impressive. Plus as far as space operas go the trilogy didn't exactly show up without missing some sh1t.

This is true. Well, that and aside from the fact that it's blatantly obvious what it's stealing from, it also does it worse.
#36 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

WTA2k5

I guess you're right in some sense, Shepard is called upon to find a solution for the gods instead of vice versa. The problem still remains that this final set of solutions (s)he's presented with still aren't organic to the rest of the narrative. The sudden shoehorning of an easy, conflic-resolving plot element at the last possible moment is still a DEM in my book.

Wrong again.... Both Destroy and Control were discussed throughout the game, in fact using Anderson and TIM to represent them proves this. And it was not shoehorned, the plot establishes that the Catalyst and the Crucible were the solution way before the ending. The only thing is you did not expect what the Catalyst really was.
#37 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] No, instead they stole the ending from Deus Ex.

So tell me, how does JC, Alex, or Adam Jansen become a God AI that controls powerful machines. Like I said, the only similarty is synthesis with the JC Denton ending of Invisible War.
#38 Posted by Jankarcop (10187 posts) -

I wonder how much they got payed for taht.

#39 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -

I wonder how much they got payed for taht.

Jankarcop
nothing....get it through your head that people thought the game was great.
#40 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Wrong Only one ending is even comparable to Deus Ex...and not the original, but Invisible War. The others are nothing like Deus Ex.

So tell me, how does JC, Alex, or Adam Jansen become a God AI that controls powerful machines. Like I said, the only similarty is synthesis with the JC Denton ending of Invisible War.

Um... it doesn't. Because that's not possible in Deus Ex. But the ending is pretty much a carbon copy of Human Revolution's, just altered to make sense within Mass Effect's lore.
#41 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Nope. They stole it from Human Revolution.

Um... it doesn't. Because that's not possible in Deus Ex. But the ending is pretty much a carbon copy of Human Revolution's, just altered to make sense within Mass Effect's lore.

and yet was Eliza Cassan the main antagonist, the one that was responsible for everything? Than its not like Deus Ex.
#42 Posted by with_teeth26 (6243 posts) -

I feed off the tears of ME 3 haters. Its not my personal GOTY but its a great game, I'd be happy to see it win everywhere just to see the reaction of the people that hate it.

#43 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

The game was great up until that atrocious ending. ME2 is one of my all time favorite games but the ending of the series just killed 3 for me. I'd pick several games over it this year. Personally this year it's close between Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2.

#44 Posted by texasgoldrush (9290 posts) -

The game was great up until that atrocious ending. ME2 is one of my all time favorite games but the ending of the series just killed 3 for me. I'd pick several games over it this year. Personally this year it's close between Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2.

Vari3ty
and yet the ending wa fixed... The original ending was really flawed, but now, its because you don't like how it ended, not because of the flaws of the ending. The only flaw in the new ending is how they handle low EMS characters, everything else is just personal taste....this is what bashers don't get.
#45 Posted by super600 (30862 posts) -

I feed off the tears of ME 3 haters. Its not my personal GOTY but its a great game, I'd be happy to see it win everywhere just to see the reaction of the people that hate it.

with_teeth26

It won;t win on GS.FC3,Halo 4 and Dishonoured have a higher chance of winning compared to ME3.

#46 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26224 posts) -

>Mass Effect 3

>GOTY

Pick one.

#47 Posted by DarkLink77 (31736 posts) -

>Mass Effect 3

>GOTY

Pick one.

ChubbyGuy40
:lol:
#48 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Knew the game just by the reading the poster. Of course I completely disagree and I don't even think ME3 should even be nominated for GOTY.

#49 Posted by jg4xchamp (49281 posts) -

everything else is just personal taste....this is what bashers don't get.texasgoldrush
Which is exactly what a GOTY award is, critical acclaim, or anyone enjoying the game is to begin with. A matter of taste or stance on how you felt everything was executed.

The game defense teams lives in this bubble where it's completely absurd to think less of the game even if it was justified.

#50 Posted by jg4xchamp (49281 posts) -

>Mass Effect 3

>GOTY

Pick one.

ChubbyGuy40
tumblr_luoa5xU3tM1qb5fj8.gif