GameIndustry: Microsoft moneyhat strategy is doomed to fail

• 96 results
#1 Edited by -Damien- (5268 posts) -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-08-14-microsofts-chequebook-warfare-is-bound-to-fail

Amidst the skepticism, there were a number of voices pointing out the obvious but often-ignored; the fact that we were talking here about one of the richest companies in the world, headed up by the world's wealthiest man. Microsoft hadn't succeeded at everything it attempted, even back then, but it had deeper pockets than anyone else.

ouch

All the same, it shows you something about Microsoft's culture during that era. Money wasn't the only thing that ultimately brought success to Xbox, but in the face of adversity, it was the first weapon that an embattled Microsoft reached for. If success didn't come naturally, if a product didn't perform to expectations, if skepticism and uncertainty stood in your way; a deep enough wallet could overcome anything. Nobody could compete with Microsoft's money. It was the company's trump card.

more ouch

"For the sake of both the Xbox and the industry, I hope that Microsoft isn't blinded by its own wealth. The reality is that a chequebook war between Microsoft and Sony wouldn't really be good for anyone"

it would just pour more money into franchises that are already successful and create artificial platform divisions that would smother innovation and creativity. Microsoft is losing ground right now and needs to make it up, but the only way to do that effectively is the hard way - it has to be better than Sony. It has to find, nurture and launch better games; it has to provide better services and a better vision for the future of gaming. That's not easy. It takes patience, effort and bloody brilliant people to accomplish something like that, and it's easy to see why the quick fix of reaching for the chequebook is tempting by comparison. The chequebook, however, is no real alternative. The success of Xbox 360 was built on great games and great services; so was the eventual resurgence of PS3. If Xbox One is to stage a comeback, it will need to do so on the same terms. There's no financial shortcut.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (55950 posts) -

Jesus, at least get the name of the outlet you are citing right.

#3 Posted by -Damien- (5268 posts) -

yeah oops sorry, fixed it

#4 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8348 posts) -

Fanboys like you are bound to fail.

#5 Posted by Bigboi500 (29279 posts) -

Didn't work for Nintendo, wont work for Micro$oft.

#6 Edited by cainetao11 (16838 posts) -

I agree with him 100%.

#7 Posted by farrell2k (5785 posts) -

Not surprising. Everything Microsoft has done with the Xbox has failed. 14 years and nothing but an average of $215 million per year of losses to show for it.

#8 Posted by RossRichard (2332 posts) -

I would buy an XBox One, I really would. But their exclusives keep being either timed or ported to PC. So I won't buy one.

#9 Posted by clone01 (24486 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

@charizard1605 said:

yeah oops sorry, fixed it

You are a sad human being.

#10 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

Bad writer, bad article, fanboy premise. /Thread

#11 Posted by lostrib (34153 posts) -

Why are you complaining about this kind of thing TC? I thought you were in favor of companies buying exclusives ?

#12 Posted by navyguy21 (12743 posts) -

When Sony does it.......its fine.............right TC?

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (46457 posts) -

Well, seems to be working ok for Sony so far.

#14 Posted by Legend002 (7019 posts) -

There's no choice since they don't have much going for them internally.

#15 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3961 posts) -
#16 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26244 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much. It's what I've been saying since this outcry reared it's ugly head in.

#17 Posted by kitty (114541 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much.

Good luck getting a answer from him on this.

#18 Posted by B4X (3474 posts) -

The internet needs to dry up these tears.... My mother board is corroding.

/fanboys :D

#19 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3961 posts) -

I bet uncle Phil thought he'd be the toast of Gamescom by snapping up TR. Instead we're all talking about Silent Hills and laughing at MS for falling over itself to try and explain TR exclusivity. Good ol' Phil has squandered the "gamer cred" he'd been building up over six months in the space of a week. I love it. Best Gamescom ever.

#20 Posted by lostrib (34153 posts) -

@kitty said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much.

oh here's your answer on it:

"But I think Sony should secure the exclusivity completely, no timed-exclusive, no PC, no Xbone, no PS3, no WiiU, nothing, JUST PS4! I want this game all for PS4, forget sharing with other platforms"

"I'm gonna start tweeting Yoshida about NMS exclusivity, hope he gets the idea ;-)"

(http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/sony-should-secure-no-mans-sky-exclusivity-complet-31371011/)

"I hope Shu really buy this IP outright, so PC fans can just shut the hell up"

(http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamespot-no-mans-sky-coming-to-ps4-in-2015-no-pc-31416629/?page=3)

#21 Edited by B4X (3474 posts) -

I bet uncle Phil thought he'd be the toast of Gamescom by snapping up TR. Instead we're all talking about Silent Hills and laughing at MS for falling over itself to try and explain TR exclusivity. Good ol' Phil has squandered the "gamer cred" he'd been building up over six months in the space of a week. I love it. Best Gamescom ever.

You do mean dumb ass fanboys looking for something to cry about?

#22 Posted by B4X (3474 posts) -

You guys in here complaining about TR. Ask yourself these questions.

1: Is the game cancelled?

2: Do I have access to play the game day one, If I desire?

3: Do I feel my priorities as a gamer are correct?

4: Should I handle this situation in this manner?

5: Should I buy the game on day one on X1/360?

6: Should I limit my hobby to emotions?

7: Am I going about my hobby all wrong?

8: Will my dedication and frustration make me happier in the end, when my true passion is games?

#23 Posted by lglz1337 (3123 posts) -

100% pure gold!

#24 Edited by lostrib (34153 posts) -

@b4x: so how long will we be stuck with the pleasure of your company ?

#25 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2106 posts) -

Its just their greedy. They losing money and they are most greedy. They put DLC on every game, ask more money for gold and give less games than PSN.

PSN gives share, also to rent PS1,PS2 and PS3 games. Greedy makes you lose.

#26 Edited by B4X (3474 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Its just their greedy. They losing money and they are most greedy. They put DLC on every game, ask more money for gold and give less games than PSN.

PSN gives share, also to rent PS1,PS2 and PS3 games. Greedy makes you lose.

They want their product to be successful?

Rent games you already own on pre-existing hardware. How thoughtful?

Block EA access. Precious.

Block MP3 and CD play. The love we feel.

Microsoft only does this. EVERY MONTH..... The horror and money grabs!!!

• PartiesThe Party App has been re-organized, so you can now see what activities everyone in your party is doing and tell more clearly who is playing in the same game with you. You can also more quickly perform common actions like muting, joining, or sending game invites. Also, Parties now have a Party Leader. This person can change whether the party requires invitations, and she/he can remove others from the party.
  • New Friends Section – The new Friends section has been available for a few early access preview members and we’re expanding it to additional participants enrolled in the preview program. The new Friends section enables you to see at a glance what’s going on with your friends. You can stay up-to-date with your current activities, the most popular games your friends are playing, and a Gamerscore leaderboard to see who has improved their Gamerscore the most over the last 30 days.We’ll continue to roll this feature out to all participants in the coming updates.
  • Media Player – A new app will be available soon that enables you to play media files from either an attached USB device or from a network connected home media server that supports DLNA protocols. The preview version of the Media Player app will initially only support USB devices, with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.
  • Xbox One Digital TV Tuner – Announced last week, this new hardware accessory will enter a limited preview program in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain), in advance of its retail launch beginning in October.
  • Stream TV to SmartGlass – Launching first in markets receiving the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you will be able to stream your TV across your home network to your smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. You can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on Xbox One.
  • Boot to TV – Now you will be able to set your console to boot directly to television when coming out of connected standby.
  • Live TV Miniguide – For markets where OneGuide is available, a new mini guide on the bottom of the screen will display details about the TV content that is currently playing. You can quickly change channels and see what’s on other channels, while still watching TV.
  • SmartGlass Updates – You can now post status messages from the Activity Feed as well as add comments and share items from both your Activity Feed and from Game Clips. Along with the new comment and share features, a personalized Activity Feed has been added to your profile. Messages have been updated to a new layout supporting a full conversation view. Additionally, we are adding the ability to record game clips directly from the Now Playing bar. Finally, if you upgrade the app directly we have introduced a What’s New page highlighting the features of each release.
  • “Xbox On” in New Markets – Adding support for additional markets to use the “Xbox On” Kinect voice command to power on consoles: Australia, Canada (French), Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Brazil – a top used feature.
  • Country Expansion – We’re doing a lot of work on the back end to prepare for Xbox One to launch in 29 new markets in the coming weeks.
  • Multiple GameDVR Deletes – You will be able to choose multiple GameDVR clips to delete at once in the Upload app.
  • Save your Avatar Gamerpic – A new option is now available to save Avatar GamerPics to your OneDrive.
  • Settings Updates – New options help you manage your controllers and accessories. Also, Instant Sign-In is being moved to Settings, to the Sign-in, security & Passkey area.
  • Bandwidth Usage Display – Located in Network Settings under the Troubleshooting column, Bandwidth Usage will show you how much bandwidth your Xbox One is consuming over a period of time. This is useful if you want to track against bandwidth caps set by ISPs in certain markets.

Once again, we can’t thank you enough for your continued input and feedback. We look forward to sharing more when the next Xbox One system update rolls out to the larger community.

Xbox One compatible file types:

• 3gp audio
  • 3gp video
  • 3gp2
  • aac
  • adts
  • animated gif
  • asf
  • avi divx
  • avi dv
  • avi uncompressed
  • avi xvid
  • bmp
  • jpg
  • gif
  • h264 avchd
  • mjpeg
  • mkv
  • mov
  • mp3
  • mpeg 1 ps
  • mpeg 2
  • mpeg 2 hd
  • mpeg 2 ts
  • mpeg 4 h264 aac
  • mpeg 4 sp
  • png
  • tiff
  • wav
  • wma
  • wma lossless
  • wma pro
  • wma voice
  • wmv
  • wmv hd

#27 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2445 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Why are you complaining about this kind of thing TC? I thought you were in favor of companies buying exclusives ?

This ^^

@lostrib said:

@kitty said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much.

"But I think Sony should secure the exclusivity completely, no timed-exclusive, no PC, no Xbone, no PS3, no WiiU, nothing, JUST PS4! I want this game all for PS4, forget sharing with other platforms"

"I'm gonna start tweeting Yoshida about NMS exclusivity, hope he gets the idea ;-)"

(http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/sony-should-secure-no-mans-sky-exclusivity-complet-31371011/)

Ewwww , creepy stuff .

Hypocrisy is strong in this one .

#28 Posted by Alcapello (754 posts) -

yes

#29 Edited by -Damien- (5268 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@kitty said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much.

(http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamespot-no-mans-sky-coming-to-ps4-in-2015-no-pc-31416629/?page=3)

obviuosly you geniuses failed to distinguish, while NMS is a completely new franchise, never been released before, TR is a multiplatform franchise since forever. I have no problem when MS secures/helps/finances new exclusive franchises like SO, QB or Scalebound, but stealing one multiplatform franchises is one pathetic move on their end.

Xbone cant' win this war by being the most hated platform on the planet, judging by the shit storm in the past few days, Xbone didn't win any new vote from the majority of gaming community, they only dig their grave deeper

#30 Edited by lostrib (34153 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

@lostrib said:

@kitty said:

obviuosly you geniuses failed to distinguish, while NMS is a completely new franchise, never been released before, TR is a multiplatform franchise since forever. I have no problem when MS secures/helps/finances new exclusive franchises like SO, QB or Scalebound, but stealing one multiplatform franchises is one pathetic move on their end.

Xbone cant' win this war by being the most hated platform on the planet, judging by the shit storm in the past few days, Xbone didn't win any new vote from the majority of gaming community, they only dig their grave deeper

The point is that you complain about MS "starving Playstation and PC fans from playing what's suppose to be multiplatform games" but then you completely support (and even request) that Sony purchase exclusivity and take it away from other platforms ("Forget sharing with other platforms")

"obviuosly you geniuses failed to distinguish"

Well so much for this as well..."I don't do personal attacks, I don't call posters names or call them stupid" (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gamespot-no-mans-sky-coming-to-ps4-in-2015-no-pc-31416629/?page=3)

You're just on a roll today

#31 Posted by Heil68 (43373 posts) -

I could see that happening since they failed with Kinect(lol) and trying to change the industry on their own with shitty DRM/AO.

#32 Edited by B4X (3474 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

@lostrib said:

@kitty said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@navyguy21 said:

Pretty much.

A herd of Sony fanboys = gaming? Thanks for the heads up.

Here's some news. Gamers go where the games go.

Ask these

Atari, Sega, Coleco, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Intellivision, Panasonic (3D0), Apple....fans.

Gamers go to the games, fanboys CRY on the internet, and miss out on games due to ______? I have no clue what "?" is....

#33 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28355 posts) -

lolololololololololololol

In business where making no moeny means you die making money will make you fail? lolololololololoooolloolololol

#34 Edited by lamprey263 (23087 posts) -

The butthurt over Tomb Raider is still going strong. MS buying timed exclusives, nothing new. Nobody was making a fuss when they got Dead Rising 3. And, it wasn't just MS's offering money as to why Square Enix went for this deal. Even the last Tomb Raider, with it's critical praise, still only sold around two million copies on each console, which wasn't huge considering the combined install base of about 160 million consoles. Generation transitions are hard on publishers, so it's rather risky to release this IP when the combined userbase is a lot smaller. So, I don't blame Square Enix for taking the money, it is probably the best deal they could get to support the Tomb Raider franchise. People forget the series was nearly on it's death bed and everything pretty much hinged on the last game doing decent commercially. So, considering the risk of the series possibly ending with the new sequel, despite how good it might actually be, I'd much rather MS pay for timed exclusivity to keep it alive to be ported later and more sequels can get made, rather than the series tanking because it couldn't sell enough copies early in the generation.

Anyhow, the last Tomb Raider game was good, but didn't sell super well at all, and there's a disproportionate amount of bitching out there for people who aren't supporters of the series. At least no insofar as people who went and bought new retail copies of the games, unless this game got traded a lot on the used game market, and as to those second hand scum you don't deserve a say.

#35 Edited by jsmoke03 (12724 posts) -

did they just plagiarize you char? lol

#36 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (944 posts) -

To be fair for Microsoft,

most of the gaming media editors of today are actually 90s hardcore Playstation fans (see neogaf, n4g, etc mostly playstation centered websites)

So i wont take their fanboy rants very serious.

#37 Posted by Shewgenja (8425 posts) -

@b4x said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

You do mean dumb ass fanboys looking for something to cry about?

The only people defending it are XBox fanboys. Even publications are calling it out. You'll join us back here on planet Earth one day.

#38 Edited by Shewgenja (8425 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

most of the gaming media editors of today are actually 90s hardcore Playstation fans (see neogaf, n4g, etc mostly playstation centered websites)

Is that why the 360 was the media darling last generation despite having the life expectancy of a fruit fly and pay-to-play online? Now the press is actually Sony fanboys?

Do you guys listen to yourselves? You Lems are living in some parallel reality ever since the XBone was revealed. Like, ya'll are losing it before our very eyes. It's a tangible thing.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (16838 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-08-14-microsofts-chequebook-warfare-is-bound-to-fail

Amidst the skepticism, there were a number of voices pointing out the obvious but often-ignored; the fact that we were talking here about one of the richest companies in the world, headed up by the world's wealthiest man. Microsoft hadn't succeeded at everything it attempted, even back then, but it had deeper pockets than anyone else.

ouch

All the same, it shows you something about Microsoft's culture during that era. Money wasn't the only thing that ultimately brought success to Xbox, but in the face of adversity, it was the first weapon that an embattled Microsoft reached for. If success didn't come naturally, if a product didn't perform to expectations, if skepticism and uncertainty stood in your way; a deep enough wallet could overcome anything. Nobody could compete with Microsoft's money. It was the company's trump card.

more ouch

"For the sake of both the Xbox and the industry, I hope that Microsoft isn't blinded by its own wealth. The reality is that a chequebook war between Microsoft and Sony wouldn't really be good for anyone"

it would just pour more money into franchises that are already successful and create artificial platform divisions that would smother innovation and creativity. Microsoft is losing ground right now and needs to make it up, but the only way to do that effectively is the hard way - it has to be better than Sony. It has to find, nurture and launch better games; it has to provide better services and a better vision for the future of gaming. That's not easy. It takes patience, effort and bloody brilliant people to accomplish something like that, and it's easy to see why the quick fix of reaching for the chequebook is tempting by comparison. The chequebook, however, is no real alternative. The success of Xbox 360 was built on great games and great services; so was the eventual resurgence of PS3. If Xbox One is to stage a comeback, it will need to do so on the same terms. There's no financial shortcut.

You sure showed MS, guy. If you aren't at MY next stock holder meeting as a candidate for head of sucking MS/Sony nuts division; yes that is a real division because whether in Sony, or at home, stock owned can be profitable. And we need you, -Damien- This war is real. And no matter if you are American or Not, the Japanese Power of Sony MUST WIN!!!!!...............BONZAI!!!!!!!!

#40 Edited by kuu2 (6955 posts) -

Another TR crying thread?

Sony Fan is seriously losing it.
Can someone please get these guys some tissues?

#41 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6117 posts) -

So let me get this straight..........investing money in your system is bad. Got it.

#42 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3961 posts) -

Lemmings still sore their TR "shockwave" backfired.

Don't worry, lems, maybe Phil will buy three months exclusivity of another B-tier AAA.

Why did you list a bunch of forums, lem?

#43 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150261 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Since you need a shot of reality I will provide it. PC gamers are/were just as upset about this announcement. Now back to your little one console corner with you.

#44 Posted by kuu2 (6955 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Since you need a shot of reality I will provide it. PC gamers are/were just as upset about this announcement. Now back to your little one console corner with you.

Here is a dose of reality, it didn't sell well on PC even after heavy discount.

Cows and Hermits can continue crying.

#45 Edited by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

lolololololololololololol

In business where making no moeny means you die making money will make you fail? lolololololololoooolloolololol

M$ has ever made profit out of the xbox brand bro. They are not out of business because M$ has deep pockets and that's how they been playing the game this entire time. Right now M$ already lost over 400 million dollars on the Xbone alone you know, and if this new TR game doesn't sell a shit ton of copies then they'll be losing even more.

#46 Posted by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

because when Sony does something they do it right. They fund the game, they own the IP, they publish the game, they market the game and it's always a new IP. The game's theirs 100%. Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain are just some of the examples.

#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150261 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@kuu2 said:

Here is a dose of reality, it didn't sell well on PC even after heavy discount.

Cows and Hermits can continue crying.

True gamers don't separate by platform. They play on as many as possible and/or appreciate competing platforms. I'm sorry you only have one platform. Seems like a personal problem.

#48 Posted by YD_11 (1624 posts) -

Wow cows are still crying over tomb raider

#49 Posted by madsnakehhh (14135 posts) -

Honestly, i still don't see the big deal with this...i mean is not even an exclusive game is a timed exclusive, only a timed exclusive, is people that desperate for games that they can't wait for a few months (6 i'm guessing) to play the new Tomb Raider...when does TR became THE game to play? It was a money issue? of course it was, companies are here for the freaking money.

IMO...deal with it.

#50 Posted by B4X (3474 posts) -

@YD_11:

Crying.... Try death threats to SE and CD...