Game Sequels Worse Than Its Predecessor

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1866 posts) -

What are biggest games or most famous or game you played that original game or games that were older were better games than sequel games?

I would say:

Crysis 2 and 3(after it came on consoles)

Hitman: Absolution(after it came on consoles)

F.E.A.R. 2 and 3(again, it was mainly PC game but sequels were meant for consoles)

What are your games?

What i meaning by came on consoles is: A)It came on PC first, it was PC port and then it was made on consoles(usually good games). B)Games that focused on console ports and then released it on PC(bad) C)It was PC exclusive but sequel was multiplatform(like most games).

#2 Edited by MBirdy88 (7214 posts) -

I think one of the biggest examples in the entire industry is Dragon Age 2 .....

Awful compared to Dragon Age Origins... absolutely awful.

#3 Edited by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -
#4 Posted by biggest_loser (23982 posts) -

Mafia 2. A sequel to one of my favourite PC games and it does just about everything wrong. It's just an awful game that not only took forever to come out but seemed to ruin 2K Czech as well.

#5 Posted by jman1553 (1302 posts) -

[Insert post-2009 EA sequel here]

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (7973 posts) -

GTAIV.. After III and Vice City, I thought they were really going to turn things up with a new gen release. Instead it was just blah.

#7 Edited by Zassimick (6168 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City >>>>> Batman: Arkham Origins

I'm playing through Origins right now, and it's not a terrible game at all; I'm having a blast with it. The problem stems from the pacing, some annoyances in overworld traversal and a lack of polish and easter eggs compared to the first two games. It does improve in a couple areas though like the boss fights.

#8 Posted by shawn30 (4316 posts) -

Crackdown 1: Amazing

Crackdown 2: Garbage

#9 Posted by trollop_scat (2620 posts) -

Diablo 3

Resident Evil 5 and 6

Silent Hill Downpour (yes I actually loved Homecoming, piss off)

#10 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1866 posts) -

Mafia 2. A sequel to one of my favourite PC games and it does just about everything wrong. It's just an awful game that not only took forever to come out but seemed to ruin 2K Czech as well.

Oh yeah. I forgot this. Gameplay is ruined and story was meh... with very bad ending. I wish Mafia 2 had no cover system, more realistic gameplay, no hp reg, limited bullets, powerful story and great and dramatic ending.

Sad :(

#11 Posted by lightleggy (15844 posts) -

Amnesia a machine for pigs.

It was made by the guys who did the non-game of dear esther, and they did exactly the same with AMFP. It seems that these guys aren't aware that you can't have good story/storytelling and good gameplay at the same time, so they literally stripped down every gameplay feature of the previous one in order to give us better story telling.

I mean, not even exaggerating here, if you'd give the 2 games to someone who didn't know jack about the franchise, he'd say that AMFP is the 1st game and that TDD is the sequel, because of how dumbed down AMFP is.

#12 Posted by ni6htmare01 (840 posts) -

Devil May Cry was awesome and Devil May Cry 2 was not the same!

#13 Posted by Stringerboy (6892 posts) -

#14 Posted by Daious (892 posts) -

Every resident evil game past 4

#15 Posted by lostrib (31905 posts) -

Crysis 2

I also thought Far Cry 2 kind of flopped

#16 Posted by CARNAGES41 (308 posts) -

basically every one

It would be easier to list game sequels that were better than its predecessor

#17 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25849 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (still a great game though)

Zelda: Twilight Princess (still a good game)

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 4 (decent fighting game marred by a dull third person action single player campaign)

#18 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6630 posts) -

Resident Evil 5

Far Cry 2

that new Stronghold game

Ninja Gaiden 2

Ninja Gaiden 3

Final Fantasy 10

Final Fantasy 12

Final Fantasy 13

Halo 2

Halo 3

most franchises, really

#19 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (still a great game though)

Zelda: Twilight Princess (still a good game)

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 4 (decent fighting game marred by a dull third person action single player campaign)

I don't know how you could think SMG2 is worse than SMG

#20 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

What are biggest games or most famous or game you played that original game or games that were older were better games than sequel games?

I would say:

F.E.A.R. 2 and 3(again, it was mainly PC game but sequels were meant for consoles)

What are your games?

What i meaning by came on consoles is: A)It came on PC first, it was PC port and then it was made on consoles(usually good games). B)Games that focused on console ports and then released it on PC(bad) C)It was PC exclusive but sequel was multiplatform(like most games).

All the Hitman games were on consoles except the first one.

#21 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1866 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

I would say:

What are your games?

You don´t get it? Those were PC ports. First made on PC then later ported on consoles.

Absolution was made just for console gamers. Its big difference

#22 Edited by Boddicker (2287 posts) -

The God of War franchise has gotten progressively worse with each installment. The story in 3 was wretched and I don't even want to think about Ascension. It should have remained a trilogy instead they made 6 of them counting the handheld games.

It's debatable though whether GoW1 or GoW2 is the better game, though GoW1 definitely trumps 2 in challenge.

#23 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

dead space 2. the first game was awesome because different parts of the ship were being quarantined, and you were being overrun by aliens. It made escape impossible and you had to plow through enemies to get away.

in the second game, not only were the jump scares predictable, but most of that intensity was lost when they allowed you to just run through rooms without killing anything. it seems like a downgrade in overall atmosphere/setting.

#24 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3824 posts) -

mass effect 2

mass effect 3

#25 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@biggest_loser said:

I second that. Considering what an absolute classic Mafia was, Mafia II was one of the biggest disappointments in recent history. Take-Two's avarice & incompetence ruined what potentially could have been an epic sequel.

For those who never played it, Mafia on the PC was/is one of the best games ever made. Many people make the mistake of dismissing it as a GTA clone, which it was assuredly was not. This game was still in development before GTA III was even released on the PS2, and, unlike GTA III, possessed a riveting storyline and was based in a city that actually felt authentic.

If there's one franchise I'd love to see get back on track it's this one.

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5496 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

@biggest_loser said:

I second that. Considering what an absolute classic Mafia was, Mafia II was one of the biggest disappointments in recent history. Take-Two's avarice & incompetence ruined what potentially could have been an epic sequel.

For those who never played it, Mafia on the PC was/is one of the best games ever made. Many people make the mistake of dismissing it as a GTA clone, which it was assuredly was not. This game was still in development before GTA III was even released on the PS2, and, unlike GTA III, possessed a riveting storyline and was based in a city that actually felt authentic.

If there's one franchise I'd love to see get back on track it's this one.

Really? I liked Mafia 2. Very underrated to me.

As for others, Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as U2 for me.

#27 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Half Life 2, as good as it is, is not as good as Half Life.

Playing through all 6 games last year straight through (HL1, BS, OF, HL2, Ep1, Ep2), Half Life 2 just has a pacing problem that Half Life 1 does not.

It's nothing major, but I believe most parts of the game could have made do with being a few minutes shorter through cutting a few firefights(or just shortening them), or maybe reducing travel time to certain destinations.

#28 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8611 posts) -

-Every God of War after the first (the series immediately stagnated right then and there. It's seriously worse than the New Super Mario Bros. series in that regard)

-Darksiders 2 (changing from an upgrade system to a looting system ruined the feeling of accomplishment you got for exploring)

-Arkham Origins (it's still one of the best games of 2013, but it's still not on the level of the GOTG Arkham City. It's got a few bugs and some crappy stuff like the Deathstroke boss fight being a super simple and easy series of QTEs)

-Yoshi's Island DS (The first is a masterpiece, this one was actually quite lame)

-Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (I don;t like the level structure it took)

#29 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16959 posts) -

Rebel Strike. Ground missions killed it.

Halo 2. Everything about the Arbiter is terrible.

CoD 2. Consolized crap.

F.E.A.R 2. Consolized crap.

Wind Waker. Dumbed down everything that was worth a damn.

Fable II. Just a boring all around game, and had the worst final boss ever.

#30 Posted by speedfog (2868 posts) -

UC 2 - My opinion... UC1 had a better campaign.

Killzone 3 - Killzone 2 was pretty good. The online was also good. Too bad they went the COD way in the third one.

Amnesia A Machine For Pigs - Wth... Story is good but no horror elements at all. Just some creepyfest.

Modern Warfare 2 - The killstreaks killed it for me.

Every God of War after the first - repeating sh*t everytime.

Gears of War 2 - I loved the third and the first one. But the second was made without any inspiration.

#31 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2680 posts) -

System Shock 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bioshock

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25287 posts) -

Uncharted 3

#33 Posted by donalbane (16150 posts) -

Halo 2... story was poo poo compared to the elegant simplicity of CE. Far Cry 2 was also jaw droppingly terrible. But the worst sequel I've ever played without question is The Legend of Zelda 2. Oh man, that game was bad.

#34 Posted by Draign (526 posts) -

Halo 2... story was poo poo compared to the elegant simplicity of CE. Far Cry 2 was also jaw droppingly terrible. But the worst sequel I've ever played without question is The Legend of Zelda 2. Oh man, that game was bad.

Halo 2 was damn good, sorry. Playing the role of the alien and introduction of the apes? Cmon.

#35 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3248 posts) -

Devil May Cry 2. Oh my god...

#36 Posted by joel_c17 (2808 posts) -

Gears 2,3

Uncharted 3

Killzone 3

Fable 2,3

Every halo after 3

Witcher 2

Bioshock 2

Arkam city/origins

#37 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

All of them...

Hitman has been released on consoles for many, many years.

#38 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

Modern Warfare 2

Modern Warfare 3

Halo 4

Gears Judgment

Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Spyro: whatever the 4th one was.

Assassin's Creed: revelations

#39 Edited by donalbane (16150 posts) -

@draign said:
@donalbane said:

Halo 2 was damn good, sorry. Playing the role of the alien and introduction of the apes? Cmon.

I'm sincerely glad you enjoyed it, but even Bungie said the story was an afterthought. That's why when Halo 3 and 4 came out, each time they promised, "The story is more like CE."

#40 Edited by edwardecl (1811 posts) -

I actually liked Silent Hill Homecoming and Downpour, obviously does not compare to the originals (1 & 2) but still good in their own right. but anyhow sequels worse then the originals... might be a long list.

The Settlers 2,3,4,5,?!? (small maps, not as fun)

Xcom/UFO: everything after TFTD? (although I never played TFTD much so can't comment on that but it was just a mod of the original for the most part, yes even the new one is not as good but OK).

Age of Wonders 2 (took out what I liked about the game and did not improve on important things like the AI)

X-Rebirth (what a total piece of crap)

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (PS2): I really regretted buying this game as it was so full of bugs it was unplayable, I actually managed to save the game during a cutscene and was stuck permanently in it (game breaking).

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: While this game was great open world graphically with improved combat, the leveling system was total crap, the lack of challenging enemies and lack of personality (poor world design) and missing promised features let it down.

Motorstorm 3: While the game was fun and all, I prefer the original, too much cat Mario events.

Farcry 2: Got uninstalled fairly quickly as I got fed up with my main character having aids or something and knew where it was going gameplay wise.

Syndicate Wars: What the hell...

Syndicate (2012): Wait what why?

#41 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12187 posts) -

Dragon Age 2.

At least Inquisition is looking great.

#42 Posted by jg4xchamp (46701 posts) -

Mafia 2

#43 Edited by way2funny (4569 posts) -

@way2funny said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

I would say:

What are your games?

You don´t get it? Those were PC ports. First made on PC then later ported on consoles.

Absolution was made just for console gamers. Its big difference

Um, pretty sure Blood Money, the one that fans say is one of the best, had a demo out on Xbox where the PC had no demo. Pretty sure blood money was made with consoles in mind, in conjunction with the PC version.

#44 Edited by Seabas989 (9966 posts) -

NiGHTs: Journey of Dreams

Uncharted 3

Rogue Squadron III

COD: MW2

Halo 2

Age of Empires III

MGS2

Kingdom Hearts 2

#45 Edited by AdrianWerner (27879 posts) -

Dear God, there's so many

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Empire Earth 3

Rise of Legends

Seven Kingdoms 3

Fallout 2 and Fallout 3

Oblivion

Heroes of Might and Magic IV

Might and Magic 8 and 9

Wing Commander Prophecy

Master of Orion 3

Star Control 3

Myth 3

Close Combat IV

just to name a few.

#46 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4, Ninia Gaiden Sigma 2, Infamous 2 (I'm sure I'll get some flack for that), Starcraft 2 (great game, but got nothing on broodwar!) Most Call of Duty games, every final fantasy since 10, I'm sure I can go on and on

#47 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22319 posts) -

Asscreed 3 is probably the most recent example I can think of. Nearly killed the series for me

#48 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38170 posts) -

DMC 2

MGS 4

Lost Planet 2

Crysis 2

Uncharted 3

Bioshock 2

Arkham Origins (still good though)

and the king of bad sequels.... AC 3

#49 Posted by ANGRYWOLF (2 posts) -

Dead Space 3 I guess. The franchise is unofficially dead.So called experts may say nothing really happened at Visceral.I don't know.We players only know what we read about it online, self styled journalists aside.

DA2 yes.Although the company blames EA.

Grandia 3.

Dragon's Quarter/Breath of Fire

I am sure there are a lot others.

#50 Posted by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

Halo 2 is the worst offender. It had a fun multiplayer at the time, but they absolutely destroyed the story.

AC3. Revelations was a fail, but nowhere near as bad as 3. AC2 was so amazingly awesome and I have no idea what they were thinking for 3.