Game resolutions

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: Last gen console fanboys argued over smaller differences than now, and did so for over half a decade. The gen before that was the same as well. What on earth made you think things were going to be different with such an obvious punchline available? Here, on System Wars?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I cannot believe all of the arguing over what these games look like! Last gen there were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough?? Personally I think that the games we have seen so far...Infamous, Ryse, Titanfall, Forza 5, KZSF and BF4 are all very impressive looking as far as console games go! My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water. Personally, I play games, I don't stop and pause to look at textures!!

Cows need to grasp on to something, so they blew up this resolution issue.

eh? The controversy is that the situation has totally reversed this gen. It blew up itself.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Why do XBox fans insist on comparing the XBone to the PS4, then? If resolution and game performance don't really matter, then why not get in an endless pissing match with the Sheep instead?

I mean, OP is right, but I don't see him trying to measure ye olde E-peen with sheep or talking about exclusives with them whatsoever. It's hard to take the "performance doesn't matter" or "insert random score here" arguments from the Lems lately. The WiiU completely outclasses the current selection of XBone games in numbers and scores.

So, I'm left with the impression that all this whining about resolution battles is a bitch fest over the PS4 than some genuine assertion as to the XBones place in the gaming world.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

I laugh at the Consolites trying to fight over Resolutions. Face it you'll never beat the Kings of Gaming. (****)

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

why is 1080p not standard.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I cannot believe all of the arguing over what these games look like! Last gen there were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough?? Personally I think that the games we have seen so far...Infamous, Ryse, Titanfall, Forza 5, KZSF and BF4 are all very impressive looking as far as console games go! My suggestion to all of you is to go build some $3000 PC if all you want to do is sit and stare at grass, rocks and water. Personally, I play games, I don't stop and pause to look at textures!!

eh? The controversy is that the situation has totally reversed this gen. It blew up itself.

Not at all. Sony fanboys have been touting resolution like it is the end all, be all. Apparently polygons and game play don't mean anything any more. CoD Ghosts plays and pretty much LOOKS the same on both. This resolution issue is about as overblown as it can be.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@misterpmedia said:

@StormyJoe said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Not at all. Sony fanboys have been touting resolution like it is the end all, be all. Apparently polygons and game play don't mean anything any more. CoD Ghosts plays and pretty much LOOKS the same on both. This resolution issue is about as overblown as it can be.

Much of all. False, that's hyperbole on your part. It's very much in discussion because 360 had superior multiplats in most cases. It's going to get discussed again this gen. Compare that to last gen when 360 owners were drilling Sony fanboys into floor because of it and you've got an interesting turnaround that lights fires when you're pitching console V console.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

its 2014 and we get even get 1080p on a 500 dollar console thats just pathetic. I don't care about 60fps even but 1080p is so common place and 720p is only sold on ultra low end tvs.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

More res whining.

Don't worry, a 20% CPU boost in two years will fix everything.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

My $700 pc can max all but a handful of games. Also, I agree with you. The arguing is stupid.

Why do PC people ignore the fact that you need to pay for a monitor and peripherals? There's no way a complete package like that is only $700.

I use a TV as a PC monitor. Besides HDMI, why do you think all TVs nowadays have a VGA or DVI port at the back? Check your TV. More than likely it has one and it certainly wasn't put there for consoles.

I haven't bought a PC monitor since 2006.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

My $700 pc can max all but a handful of games. Also, I agree with you. The arguing is stupid.

Why do PC people ignore the fact that you need to pay for a monitor and peripherals? There's no way a complete package like that is only $700.

I use a TV as a PC monitor. Besides HDMI, why do you think all TVs nowadays have a VGA or DVI port at the back? Check your TV. More than likely it has one and it certainly wasn't put there for consoles.

I don't understand why people seem to think that just because you have a computer you need a monitor. I'm guessing these people never seen the back of the newer tvs or tvs from recent years. Most of them have pc VGA inputs and HDMI. Even if the said tv didn't have a VGA, you could use the HDMI....

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#63 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Get ready, dude. Here comes "you have low standards" responses. I agree, personally as far as my console games go. No matter the resolution, they look better than anything I had on my PS3/360 so next gen achievement unlocked. And Now that I have a slam banging gaming PC that is blowing my mind with the games I have on steam, I can get a multiplat and outperform the PS4/X1 anytime I want.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 cainetao11

@Floppy_Jim said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Last genthere were hardly any true 1080p games if any and I'd bet that there were less than 50% of titles that actually ran at 720p and 60 fps and now 900p isn't good enough??

Exactly, last gen. There's nothing wrong with expecting a large leap in power/resolution, especially with the unusual length of gen 7. I think the phrase "reverse snobbery" applies here.

Ok but even if resolution is 900p is that not a leap over last gen where as TC pointed out not all games even hit 720p? If the current gen game is 720p, the graphics aren't better than last gen? Its all resolution? Because I haven't seen one PS3/360 game that looks as good as next gen games, regardless of resolution.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

LOL lems still living in last gen. Every game with the exception of BF4 is 1080p on PS4. Meanwhile 1080p is the exception on XBone not the norm. Lems and their lowered standards lol.

"b....bu....bu.....but my eyez can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p!!1"

Xbone 720p is weak POS #DEALWITHIT

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 cainetao11

@I_can_haz said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

LOL lems still living in last gen. Every game with the exception of BF4 is 1080p on PS4. Meanwhile 1080p is the exception on XBone not the norm. Lems and their lowered standards lol.

"b....bu....bu.....but my eyez can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p!!1"

Xbone 720p is weak POS #DEALWITHIT

Well according to many here there is NO EXCUSE to not hit 1080p, and as you yourself said, my PS4 doesn't do so in EVERY game, so by those "standards" its fail. I didn't make the standard. If you aren't 100% there.................how does it go? If you're not first you're last. PC it is

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I don't understand why people seem to think that just because you have a computer you need a monitor. I'm guessing these people never seen the back of the newer tvs or tvs from recent years. Most of them have pc VGA inputs and HDMI. Even if the said tv didn't have a VGA, you could use the HDMI....

Every LCD TV I've seen since our first one from 2003 have had a DVI and/or a VGA port even before HDMI became standard on them. It also seems unthinkable to many of them that HDTVs can be located elsewhere besides the living room.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

To be honest I would happily play a game that looks like it was from the PS2 era as long as it's open ended, has environments that are destructible and that you can interact with, and just overall a great game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Every LCD TV I've seen since our first one from 2003 have had a DVI and/or a VGA port even before HDMI became standard on them. It also seems unthinkable to many of them that HDTVs can be located elsewhere besides the living room.

You guys do actual work on an HDTV?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jun_aka_pekto

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Of course. You do know HDTVs have different modes. Right? Some of them actually suit a PC signal just fine.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yeah i'll do productivity work on my pc at home, connected to a tv.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Because progression.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Graphics vs Gameplay arguments are stupid and are made by people who are butthurt because their game doesn't have both. Because simply having fun is not good enough anymore.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@CyberLips said:

"Some people are so poor, all they have is money."

that's a great quote in your sig mate.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

This is all the lemmings fault. Last gen all they did was brag about how every multiplat was superior on the 360. So now that Sony has the superior multiplats, Sony fans are rubbing it in their faces.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

It's not that 900p isn't good enough, it's that it's not good enough for the more expensive console to have literally every game (bar two) be noticeably inferior. That's the issue.

Anyone who tries to make the problem about the games in general is missing the point.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: No flaming.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

screw that guys, why you need to play 3d games, we were perfectly fine playing 2d games in nintendos!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@stationplay_4 said:

why is 1080p not standard.

Because of TV and Sports.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SolidGame_basic

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Of course. You do know HDTVs have different modes. Right? Some of them actually suit a PC signal just fine.

And if you want to watch TV and use the computer?

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 kitty  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

I think you are missing the point. :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@kitty: am I? I hardly know anyone who uses their computer the way you guys suggest. If you're going to shell out money for a proper gaming rig, how are you not going to get a proper monitor? I also don't know regulars tvs that support higher than 1080p resolution unless you want to early adopt 4k tvs. I rest my case

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Krelian-co

is this oficially the most pathetic damage control thread ever?

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kitty  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:

@kitty: am I? I hardly know anyone who uses their computer the way you guys suggest. If you're going to shell out money for a proper gaming rig, how are you not going to get a proper monitor? I also don't know regulars tvs that support higher than 1080p resolution unless you want to early adopt 4k tvs. I rest my case

You might hardly know anyone that does it, but that doesn't mean that people don't. If you are going to shell out money for a next gen console you'd better have a good tv am I right? I can do this to. So if you want to include a high priced monitor with the pc parts list, you'd better include the price of a tv with the console. A proper monitor can be 1080p... 1080 is still the standard you know, or am I late to this and 1200, 1440 and 1600 are? I believe those resolutions I mentioned suit a higher end pc more than a proper gaming one. My pc is more than capable of gaming at higher than 1080p, but I choose to keep 1080p because I'm fine with it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@kitty said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

If I had my other TV which is now in my mother in law's room, I would've had PiP. But, my current configuration is now dual-monitor with one of the monitors being a 1080p TV. With a few mouse clicks, I can switch my primary monitor to be the older PC monitor while I switch the 1080p TV from PC mode to TV mode.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 jun_aka_pekto
@SolidGame_basic said:

As gamers, we should be a cut above the casual crowd techwise. In the meteorology field, we've been using +40" large 1080p monitors (aka HDTV without an ATSC tuner) hooked up to PCs since 2002. We've been doing multi-monitor since the late 90's.

At this stage, I know folks much older than me (in their 70's) who routinely hook up their laptops to their HDTV with a VGA cable. If they can figure that out, I don't see why younger folks can't.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#88  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Most games on PC I run at either 2560x1440 on one monitor or 3200x1800 on another monitor i have - depending on the games gpu demands... its sad the "next gen" struggles to do 1080p which has been a common resolution for over a decade now.

When i upgrade my video card at the end of the the year or next, i'll be going a 4k res minimum or above that. And the consoles will still be stuttering at 1080p and the console die hards will still be trying to make excuses for it... a 500 dollar console should be able to do the ancient 1080p resolution without question.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

It's going to be hilarious following the console downscaling this "generation."

On upcoming titles it'll be (relative to PC) either 1080, low settings, low draw distance, etc

Or 720 again, medium settings, low draw distance.

We're going to witness massive smoke and mirrors as the devs try to outsmart the peasants this gen.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

My rule is that if the game doesn't have 2560x1440, 60fps(minimum), good AA, precise and responsive controls, and large FOV is not worth playing.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

@MK-Professor said:

My rule is that if the game doesn't have 2560x1440, 60fps(minimum), good AA, precise and responsive controls, and large FOV is not worth playing.

Okay so 99.99% of games and computers in history, you would not look at? Bit of a dick thing to say to be fair. Why have that attitude that graphics are what make the game.

As years pass standards rise (you ask for more every time). Also I didn't mention graphics, what I mean with my above statement is what I care for good gameplay and sharp image quality.

Let me break it down: (2560x1440, 60fps(minimum), good AA, precise and responsive controls, and large FOV)

• 2560x1440 = sharp image quality
  • 60fps(minimum) = greatly affects gameplay, more fluidity in your movements, more responsive controls, etc
  • good AA = to have a clean image
  • precise and responsive controls = k/m with the combination of 60fps offers the best precision and responsiveness making the gameplay better.
  • large FOV = you can see more of the environment as result a better understanding of your surrounding objects, therefor contribute to a better gamplay.

basically I prefer to play a game with good gameplay and with bad graphics(as long as it is sharp and clean) than the opposite.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

game resolution is the most important part of a game imo, unless i can play it at 1080p i may as well not play it but it just appears to be a big blur to my eyes. thankfull sony listened and designed the ps4 around my needs.

#sdc

#1080p or death

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Is it so hard to clean up the quote-tree?

Anyway, I can watch TV in a window on my PC if I so choose.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

game resolution is the most important part of a game imo, unless i can play it at 1080p i may as well not play it but it just appears to be a big blur to my eyes. thankfull sony listened and designed the ps4 around my needs.

#sdc

#1080p or death

what about all of those people who have a PS4 and a 720p HDTV?? Are they playing in 1080p??? Does that lessen the experience for someone who is playing Infamous? Id say no! Ryse is a damn good looking at at 900p as is BF4 on the PS4? Neither of those hit 1080p and are two of the best looking new games and destroy anything from last gen!

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

#sdc

#1080p or death

what about all of those people who have a PS4 and a 720p HDTV?? Are they playing in 1080p??? Does that lessen the experience for someone who is playing Infamous? Id say no! Ryse is a damn good looking at at 900p as is BF4 on the PS4? Neither of those hit 1080p and are two of the best looking new games and destroy anything from last gen!

Yes it does lessen the experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

why do console gamers ignore the fact that they have to buy a television. stupid arguement is stupid. Periperals are cheap. and that is still not even over a $1000.

just stop.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@MBirdy88 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jake44 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

why do console gamers ignore the fact that they have to buy a television. stupid arguement is stupid. Periperals are cheap. and that is still not even over a $1000.

just stop.

If I wanted to get the most of PC gaming this gen, it would cost a lot more than $700. Otherwise, you're pretty much getting the same experience. And that includes a good gaming monitor, not some $120 crap from Microcenter.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 SolidGame_basic

@kitty said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

You might hardly know anyone that does it, but that doesn't mean that people don't. If you are going to shell out money for a next gen console you'd better have a good tv am I right? I can do this to. So if you want to include a high priced monitor with the pc parts list, you'd better include the price of a tv with the console. A proper monitor can be 1080p... 1080 is still the standard you know, or am I late to this and 1200, 1440 and 1600 are? I believe those resolutions I mentioned suit a higher end pc more than a proper gaming one. My pc is more than capable of gaming at higher than 1080p, but I choose to keep 1080p because I'm fine with it.

Don't you think that's apples and oranges? We're in a post PC world where PC sales have been on the decline. Most people can do what they need to do on a tablet and smartphone. They already have TVs. Buying a whole new desktop for a hobby like gaming or video editing comes with significant costs if you want the best out of it.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Krelian-co

@SolidGame_basic said:

@kitty said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Don't you think that's apples and oranges? We're in a post PC world where PC sales have been on the decline. Most people can do what they need to do on a tablet and smartphone. They already have TVs. Buying a whole new desktop for a hobby like gaming or video editing comes with significant costs if you want the best out of it.

pc sales has been on decline because you needed a desktop pc for everything, now it gets divided into laptops tablets and gaming pcs, so thanks for stating the obvious. People who bought powerful pc to game back then will continue to do so.