Game of the 7th Gen

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by drekula2 (1947 posts) -

It did come out in 2005, early in the Nintendo DS's life span, however it is still in the 7th generation. Despite being an 8 year old game, I cannot think of a single other game packed with so much content, variety, replay value and the freedom to customize and create your own fun. In the end, it's not about graphics. It's about giving the player freedom to have whatever kind of experience they want, grounded in a fundamentally sound system of core gameplay. There are very few other games that do this.

#2 Edited by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

Sorry but WoW won the 7th gen. Not only is it the king of MMOs, it was really the only game that had a universal impact on its genre this gen and brought and entire genre to the mainstream. The biggest MMO before wow was Everquest, which only had 600,000 subscribers. WoW peaked at 12 million subscribers and still has nearly 8 million to this day. WoW perfected the MMO genre and made it much more accesible. WoW is one of those games that has both quality and quantity as well. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, always something to do.

#3 Edited by Badosh (12733 posts) -

TLOU, Gears 1, WoW, Bioshock 1, TF2

#4 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Dark Souls for me.

#5 Edited by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Resident Evil 6. It's the RE4 of the gen.

#6 Edited by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

http://st.gdefon.ru/wallpapers_original/s/159244_mass-effect-2_2560x1600_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg

#7 Posted by Badosh (12733 posts) -

@Michael0134567 said:

Resident Evil 6. It's the RE4 of the gen.

You like poop more than the poopinator.

#8 Posted by cainetao11 (17748 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

Sorry but WoW won the 7th gen. Not only is it the king of MMOs, it was really the only game that had a universal impact on its genre this gen and brought and entire genre to the mainstream. The biggest MMO before wow was Everquest, which only had 600,000 subscribers. WoW peaked at 12 million subscribers and still has nearly 8 million to this day. WoW perfected the MMO genre and made it much more accesible. WoW is one of those games that has both quality and quantity as well. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, always something to do.

this or COD. No other games this gen = gaming, like these two titles.

#9 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

@Badosh said:

@Michael0134567 said:

Resident Evil 6. It's the RE4 of the gen.

You like poop more than the poopinator.

What?

#10 Posted by millerlight89 (18567 posts) -

@Michael0134567: Your act is no longer surprising. People get what you do.

#11 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@Michael0134567: Your act is no longer surprising. People get what you do.

Praise games I like?

#12 Edited by PAL360 (26939 posts) -

Games like GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect and RDR are close.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (58262 posts) -

Super Smash Bros. BRawl

#14 Edited by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -

UHM

BESIDES THE BLURRY PICTURES

GTA5 or GTA4

Not sure.

#15 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

TLOU

#16 Edited by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

SMG2

File:SMG2MarioLuma.png

... The experience this game gave me

#17 Edited by TheEroica (13710 posts) -

Mass Effect for me... The mako by itself was better then the rest of gen :P

#18 Edited by charizard1605 (58262 posts) -

@Samus3D said:

MSG2

... The experience this game gave me

MGS2?

#19 Edited by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Samus3D said:

MSG2

... The experience this game gave me

MGS2?

Gamespot's broken

#20 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25769 posts) -

I too would have said Advance Wars DS.

#21 Edited by Blabadon (26654 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Samus3D said:

MSG2

... The experience this game gave me

MGS2?

Best on Vita, duh

#22 Edited by wolverine4262 (19394 posts) -

Civ5 or Mass Effect

#23 Posted by AdobeArtist (22942 posts) -

Put me down for Mass Effect trilogy as well :)

#24 Edited by TheEroica (13710 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Good man...

#25 Posted by AdobeArtist (22942 posts) -

@TheEroica: Gotta keep the light of truth burning ;)

#26 Posted by pelvist (4870 posts) -

As much as I hate the game ill have to say WoW.

#27 Posted by Basinboy (11242 posts) -

WoW's impact is unparalleled

ME couldn't be more wrong

#28 Edited by Bigboi500 (30082 posts) -

Super Mario Godly 2.

#29 Edited by Niles-Crane (13 posts) -

I'd have to say Mass Effect 2

#30 Posted by TheEroica (13710 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Did you get as giddy as I did when they said ME4 would have nothing to do with the Shepard story arch? Mass Effect is a universe for the pickins.... can't wait for more.

#31 Edited by bobbetybob (19291 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 probably, it's a great shooter, one of the best this gen, and it's legacy is - well, you know what its legacy is.

#32 Edited by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -


This one:

#33 Edited by AdobeArtist (22942 posts) -

@TheEroica: Oh I'm very excited as there's so much potential in the expanded ME universe. It would be really interesting to see a story where you're new character's role is supporting the old cast, like Garrus, Liara, Tali, or Wrex, where they're the central focus of the story after their involvement with Shepard (so where their lives go in the aftermath of the Reaper war), and it's how you aid them in their mission.

Then there's the numerous possibilities in the rich historical settings, such as the First Contact war, or the Rachni War and Krogan Rebellions. Though I'd still prefer the story to be set after ME3, to explore the direction galactic civilization takes after surviving near extinction, to see the rebuilding that goes on (like for the Quarians, or the Krogan) and the future of the Council and so on.

Also I would love to see this new chapter allow the player to choose a race to play in the story (from Asari, to Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Quarian, etc...) and how the race choice will add stat perks to the class skills.

Oh and your new sig/avy is fucking awesome!! :D :D

#34 Posted by Bigboi500 (30082 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@TheEroica: Oh I'm very excited as there's so much potential in the expanded ME universe. It would be really interesting to see a story where you're new character's role is supporting the old cast, like Garrus, Liara, Tali, or Wrex, where they're the central focus of the story after their involvement with Shepard (so where their lives go in the aftermath of the Reaper war), and it's how you aid them in their mission.

Then there's the numerous possibilities in the rich historical settings, such as the First Contact war, or the Rachni War and Krogan Rebellions. Though I'd still prefer the story to be set after ME3, to explore the direction galactic civilization takes after surviving near extinction, to see the rebuilding that goes on (like for the Quarians, or the Krogan) and the future of the Council and so on.

Also I would love to see this new chapter allow the player to choose a race to play in the story (from Asari, to Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Quarian, etc...) and how the race choice will add stat perks to the class skills.

Oh and your new sig/avy is fucking awesome!! :D :D

Garrus is teh awesome.

#35 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

Also I would love to see this new chapter allow the player to choose a race to play in the story (from Asari, to Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Quarian, etc...) and how the race choice will add stat perks to the class skills.

Wouldn't that be extremely hard to do though? What race we play would have a huge impact on any reasonable story (and voice acting for that matter). Think about how ME1-3 would play out if we were a Krogan or Salarian for example.

#36 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I have to say it's a tie between The Last of Us, GTA V, Skyrim and Mass Effect.

Honorable mentions are Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, RDR, State of Decay, The Witcher 2, Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 2, League of Legends, Dark Souls, MGS 4 and Bioshock.

#37 Edited by starjet905 (1936 posts) -
@Sushiglutton said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Also I would love to see this new chapter allow the player to choose a race to play in the story (from Asari, to Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Quarian, etc...) and how the race choice will add stat perks to the class skills.

Wouldn't that be extremely hard to do though? What race we play would have a huge impact on any reasonable story (and voice acting for that matter). Think about how ME1-3 would play out if we were a Krogan or Salarian for example.

Something like how DAO handled the story for different races might work.

As for game of the gen, does Persona 3 count as 7th gen? If so, that is my Got7G. If not, Assassin's Creed II.

#38 Edited by AdobeArtist (22942 posts) -

@starjet905 said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Also I would love to see this new chapter allow the player to choose a race to play in the story (from Asari, to Krogan, Salarian, Turian, Quarian, etc...) and how the race choice will add stat perks to the class skills.

Wouldn't that be extremely hard to do though? What race we play would have a huge impact on any reasonable story (and voice acting for that matter). Think about how ME1-3 would play out if we were a Krogan or Salarian for example.

Something like how DAO handled the story for different races might work.

As for game of the gen, does Persona 3 count as 7th gen? If so, that is my Got7G. If not, Assassin's Creed II.

Yeah, I forgot that DAO handled multiple race options through text dialog.

#39 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

Sorry but WoW won the 7th gen. Not only is it the king of MMOs, it was really the only game that had a universal impact on its genre this gen and brought and entire genre to the mainstream. The biggest MMO before wow was Everquest, which only had 600,000 subscribers. WoW peaked at 12 million subscribers and still has nearly 8 million to this day. WoW perfected the MMO genre and made it much more accesible. WoW is one of those games that has both quality and quantity as well. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, always something to do.

It is so stupid how people are defining the 7th gen because of the Nintendo DS's release date. Handhelds are in separate generations, hence the current generation being the seventh console generation.

7th gen started when the 360 was released. WoW was released in 2004. It wasn't a current-gen game.

#40 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@princeofshapeir: Regardless I'd say CoD4 caused the most changes. Not only did it affect the FPS genre but it causes changes throughout the entire industry.

Cod had a bigger impact than WoW. Definitely not my favorite game of this generation though.

#41 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

SMG2
TLOU
Uncharted 2

Fallout 3

#42 Posted by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

#43 Edited by lostrib (37732 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

7th gen started when the 360 was released. WoW was released in 2004. It wasn't a current-gen game.

All of WoWs expansions were released in the 7th gen though

#44 Edited by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@princeofshapeir said:

7th gen started when the 360 was released. WoW was released in 2004. It wasn't a current-gen game.

All of WoWs expansions were released in the 7th gen though

Base game was released in 2004, doesn't matter

#45 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

If I had to think of 1 game that defines this gen it would be COD modern warfare. Even though its not the best game of the gen its the first one you think of when you think of video games in the 7th gen. countless others try to copy it.

#46 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

I played 95% of them and I'll pick TLoU.

#47 Posted by marcheegsr (2842 posts) -

Mass effect 2 for me.

#48 Posted by wiifan001 (18425 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Super Mario Godly 2.

#49 Edited by kipsta77 (1016 posts) -

#

End of discussion.

#50 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9020 posts) -

All in all, probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution if I had to pick just one. It had it flaws, like every other game, but what matters is I appreciate it DESPITE its flaws, and not only for its UPSIDES.