Game Informer "Shut up and have fun"

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/28/opinion-shut-up-and-have-fun.aspx

"This escalation of hatred is aided in no small part by the Internet. With the proliferation of comments sections and the advent of YouTube, we can all become our own version of the infamous pro-PS3 troll Chad Warden. Requiring no more than an iPhone, anyone is free to make a song about how much the PS3 sucks or record a webcam rant about how much they hate the Xbox 360. There’s a time and place for subjective criticism, but it seems silly to go out of your way purely in an effort to spew venom."

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Interesting read, and he brings up some very good points. We do spend a long time on here being very negative towards video games, when we could instead be playing games and enjoying them.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

freedom's all about the love.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

Where are the girls?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

"Before Microsoft even took the stage, an avalanche of hate-filled comments sped past my eyes at a pace almost too fast to read."

hahaha

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

White Star Lines "Titanic now offering trans Atlantic travel rates*

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

But how can PS owners have fun and play when PS4 has no games.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Shut up game informer I will hate everyone if I want!!

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Dan Ryckert=GOAT

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Btw wonder what that Game Informer dude think about SW here, if he even know about this place lol

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Thank you Sony.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mems_1224

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 danabo

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Where are the girls?

What girls? That's it. Looks like the typical scenario for a gamer to me. Nothing but dateless guys.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Too bad System Wars does not feel that way.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Where are the girls?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mems_1224

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 danabo

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

Those dumb consumers, making complaints about products they purchase.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mems_1224

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

Dont purchase bad products. Problem solved.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danabo

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

I wont go over your head talking about consumer rights or competitive and free markets.

Simply - Complaints help improve the product or service.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

As far as the online community goes, gamers are very elitist and spoiled. If you don't particularly want it, then don't buy it, but the constant bashing and shit talking on developers is just embarrassing to witness.

It's not like game development is very difficult and a very unstable job market.

Many a company have gone under for trying to accommodate this shitty community.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

This^

I wont go over your head talking about consumer rights or competitive and free markets.

Simply - Complaints help improve the product or service.

Sure, constructive complaints do. Most of the whining and crying on the internet isn't helping anything. Gamers are especially bad

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 danabo

@mems_1224 said:

Sure, constructive complaints do. Most of the whining and crying on the internet isn't helping anything. Gamers are especially bad

Well, that I can agree with. They're mostly over the top nothing complaints, made out of frustration or for amusement, that can be easily ignored or played along with.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Shut up and don't tell me what to do. I've BEEN having fun with my Wii U and 3DS.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#30 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@jimmypsn said:

But how can PS owners have fun and play when PS4 has no games.

How can they play at all when it isn't even out?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@John_Matherson said:

Agreed. Many gamers are merely complainers. A group of over privileged, spoiled brats that don't know how good they've got it.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I have fun all the time. I'm not some whiny brat.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

freedom's all about the love.

Dont forget to Live and Learn as well as Love.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

"Shut up and enjoy what you have" is the mentality of bad game journalism.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By psymon100

@princessgomez92 said:

I have fun all the time.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

Yeah, if you think most devs make back the money they spend on these games you're an idiot. I'm not justifying microtransactions and I don't parttake in buying DLC but at the same time, wtf happened to just playing fcking video games? WHat happened to watching a trailer for game and thinking man that looks good! Nowadays you see an announcement trailer and the first thing out of most idiots' mouths are "No way that's gameplay graphic!" or "that's only possible in 720p at that framerate!" who gives a shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just play the fcking game and shut the fuk up. I pay money for a game for the game to be good and to have good gameplay and story. MGS4 scored a 10/10 and not once did the review mention any crap about fcking framerate/resolution you dumb fck.

Games should be top notch at being games, not so a bunch of spoiled and anal controllerheads can over-analyse the video game and debate about gameplay graphics and resolution. Shut the fck up

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 psymon100

@kingoflife9: So have I. I guess that is because we are cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Certain people are very negative, definitely.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope. I will not yield ! Until RPGs and Story Driven games are recreated in my image !

Atleast let us complain about the things that really do need to be addressed, like DRM.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ John_Matherson

MGS 4 is an odd example seeing as it has more cutscenes then actual gameplay.

You didn't complain about that ? Or maybe you actually prefer it that way. Either way, its worth bringing it up for re-examination.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

"Shut up and enjoy what you have" is the mentality of bad game journalism.

I think you missed the point.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

It's interesting that gamers are always willing to band together to whine about their false sense of persecution, yet are quick to deny anyone the same empathy from another group who is actually marginalized.

Gamers act as though the world is out to get them, without ever realizing that no one really gives a shit about the crappy games the play. They will focus in on media outlets that paint them in a negative light while ignoring the fact that it doesn't really change their social status at large.

When a gamer works into a job interview, an employer doesn't hire him because society has conditioned his response to think less of gamers. No, he doesn't hire him because a trenchcoat and fedora do not go well with a My Little Pony t-shirt. When a woman walks into a job interview, the interviewer disregards her ability to perform the job and instead on if he can come up with enough sexual fantasies throughout the day to justify his spending of company's cash on her.

It's pretty infuriating.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Where are the girls?

Good question... I'd expect them to be standing infront of the tv talking about some nonsense, but they're not there... quite mysterious..

furthermore, the guys are just staring at the screen, the controllers are out of reach on the table.. quite mysterious..

and who's taking the picture? quite mysterious..

and is that guy on the left wearing goggles? why would he be going under water with 2 other guys in there? quite mysterious indeed..

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Don't really care which consoles are better as long as they are competitive. I will, however, spew out the bullshit that these companies feed us and expose the ignorant people that don't much about their purchases.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The problem is he read the comment section of articles. Those are filled with absolute shit. Don't listen to the extremely loud minority of users out there bitching about everything in the comments section of every article and your life improves.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Wasdie said:

The problem is he read the comment section of articles. Those are filled with absolute shit. Don't listen to the extremely loud minority of users out there bitching about everything in the comments section of every article and your life improves.

If GameSpot did that over a month ago, Feedbackula would not be made anymore.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Translation:

SHUT UP AND BUY STUFF! MUSH YOU CORPORATE WHORE! PEOPLE HAVE BILLS TO PAY, SO REMEMBER WHY YOU GAME! IT IS FOR MY BOTTOM LINE!

Seriously, that's what this asinine rant came across to me like.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Agreed.

Cows take it to the extreme with their hatred. Wish they would be more like PC/Nintendo/Xbox fans, and just play games.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@treedoor said:

Agreed.

Cows take it to the extreme with their hatred. Wish they would be more like PC/Nintendo/Xbox fans, and just play games.

But if they played games, this board would be less active :(

kidding