Game Informer "Shut up and have fun"

  • 84 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drummerdave9099 (884 posts) -

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/28/opinion-shut-up-and-have-fun.aspx

"This escalation of hatred is aided in no small part by the Internet. With the proliferation of comments sections and the advent of YouTube, we can all become our own version of the infamous pro-PS3 troll Chad Warden. Requiring no more than an iPhone, anyone is free to make a song about how much the PS3 sucks or record a webcam rant about how much they hate the Xbox 360. There’s a time and place for subjective criticism, but it seems silly to go out of your way purely in an effort to spew venom."

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Interesting read, and he brings up some very good points. We do spend a long time on here being very negative towards video games, when we could instead be playing games and enjoying them.

#2 Posted by John_Matherson (2086 posts) -

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (43453 posts) -

freedom's all about the love.

#4 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10503 posts) -

#5 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

#6 Edited by blackace (21405 posts) -

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

Where are the girls?

#7 Posted by aroxx_ab (10774 posts) -

"Before Microsoft even took the stage, an avalanche of hate-filled comments sped past my eyes at a pace almost too fast to read."

hahaha

#8 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8990 posts) -

White Star Lines "Titanic now offering trans Atlantic travel rates*

#9 Edited by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

But how can PS owners have fun and play when PS4 has no games.

#10 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Shut up game informer I will hate everyone if I want!!

#11 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5991 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

#12 Edited by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

Dan Ryckert=GOAT

#13 Posted by aroxx_ab (10774 posts) -

Btw wonder what that Game Informer dude think about SW here, if he even know about this place lol

#14 Posted by Gue1 (11374 posts) -

Thank you Sony.

#15 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

#16 Edited by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

#17 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

#18 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17535 posts) -

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

Where are the girls?

What girls? That's it. Looks like the typical scenario for a gamer to me. Nothing but dateless guys.

#19 Posted by PsychoLemons (2383 posts) -

Too bad System Wars does not feel that way.

#21 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10503 posts) -

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

Where are the girls?

#22 Edited by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

#23 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

Those dumb consumers, making complaints about products they purchase.

#24 Edited by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

Those dumb consumers, making complaints about products they purchase.

Dont purchase bad products. Problem solved.

#25 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

Those dumb consumers, making complaints about products they purchase.

Dont purchase bad products. Problem solved.

I wont go over your head talking about consumer rights or competitive and free markets.

Simply - Complaints help improve the product or service.

#26 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4146 posts) -

As far as the online community goes, gamers are very elitist and spoiled. If you don't particularly want it, then don't buy it, but the constant bashing and shit talking on developers is just embarrassing to witness.

It's not like game development is very difficult and a very unstable job market.

Many a company have gone under for trying to accommodate this shitty community.

#27 Posted by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@mems_1224 said:

@danabo said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

This^

"It’s an amazing time to be a gamer. If the only reason you follow the industry is to complain about everything it has to offer, maybe you should reconsider why you play games. I’ll be over here having a blast."

Yes. I just love micro-transactions, paying for multiplayer, unfinished games, rushed consoles, and DRM. We should be paying at least double the price for these privileges. Publishers and corporations should be worshipped!

Way to miss the point of the article. LOL

I read the entire thing. I have every right to complain about the article, too.

Sure you can, doesn't make the complaint any less dumb

Those dumb consumers, making complaints about products they purchase.

Dont purchase bad products. Problem solved.

I wont go over your head talking about consumer rights or competitive and free markets.

Simply - Complaints help improve the product or service.

Sure, constructive complaints do. Most of the whining and crying on the internet isn't helping anything. Gamers are especially bad

#28 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Sure, constructive complaints do. Most of the whining and crying on the internet isn't helping anything. Gamers are especially bad

Well, that I can agree with. They're mostly over the top nothing complaints, made out of frustration or for amusement, that can be easily ignored or played along with.

#29 Posted by RogueStatus28 (544 posts) -

Shut up and don't tell me what to do. I've BEEN having fun with my Wii U and 3DS.

#30 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9758 posts) -

@jimmypsn said:

But how can PS owners have fun and play when PS4 has no games.

How can they play at all when it isn't even out?

#31 Edited by Telekill (5130 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Agreed. Many gamers are merely complainers. A group of over privileged, spoiled brats that don't know how good they've got it.

#32 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3800 posts) -

I have fun all the time. I'm not some whiny brat.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

freedom's all about the love.

Dont forget to Live and Learn as well as Love.

#34 Edited by nutcrackr (12846 posts) -

"Shut up and enjoy what you have" is the mentality of bad game journalism.

#35 Edited by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

I have fun all the time.

#37 Edited by John_Matherson (2086 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:

@John_Matherson said:

...well then...Good point. Gamers of this gen are spoiled brats. Devs spend millions and plenty of time developing games only for snobs to complain about resolution and fps and textures. Shut up and play.

Well gee I didn't know I wasn't PAYING MONEY for games. It's not like we just get them and say " OH GOD THANK YOU DEVS." Games should be top notch all the time.

Yeah, if you think most devs make back the money they spend on these games you're an idiot. I'm not justifying microtransactions and I don't parttake in buying DLC but at the same time, wtf happened to just playing fcking video games? WHat happened to watching a trailer for game and thinking man that looks good! Nowadays you see an announcement trailer and the first thing out of most idiots' mouths are "No way that's gameplay graphic!" or "that's only possible in 720p at that framerate!" who gives a shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just play the fcking game and shut the fuk up. I pay money for a game for the game to be good and to have good gameplay and story. MGS4 scored a 10/10 and not once did the review mention any crap about fcking framerate/resolution you dumb fck.

Games should be top notch at being games, not so a bunch of spoiled and anal controllerheads can over-analyse the video game and debate about gameplay graphics and resolution. Shut the fck up

#38 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

@kingoflife9: So have I. I guess that is because we are cool.

#39 Edited by airshocker (30975 posts) -

Certain people are very negative, definitely.

#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18469 posts) -

Nope. I will not yield ! Until RPGs and Story Driven games are recreated in my image !

Atleast let us complain about the things that really do need to be addressed, like DRM.

#41 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18469 posts) -

@ John_Matherson

MGS 4 is an odd example seeing as it has more cutscenes then actual gameplay.

You didn't complain about that ? Or maybe you actually prefer it that way. Either way, its worth bringing it up for re-examination.

#42 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4146 posts) -

@nutcrackr said:

"Shut up and enjoy what you have" is the mentality of bad game journalism.

I think you missed the point.

#43 Posted by Zaraxius (221 posts) -

It's interesting that gamers are always willing to band together to whine about their false sense of persecution, yet are quick to deny anyone the same empathy from another group who is actually marginalized.

Gamers act as though the world is out to get them, without ever realizing that no one really gives a shit about the crappy games the play. They will focus in on media outlets that paint them in a negative light while ignoring the fact that it doesn't really change their social status at large.

When a gamer works into a job interview, an employer doesn't hire him because society has conditioned his response to think less of gamers. No, he doesn't hire him because a trenchcoat and fedora do not go well with a My Little Pony t-shirt. When a woman walks into a job interview, the interviewer disregards her ability to perform the job and instead on if he can come up with enough sexual fantasies throughout the day to justify his spending of company's cash on her.

It's pretty infuriating.

#44 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

@blackace said:

@psymon100 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Those Sheep. Always gaming with other people of the same gender in a big ol' bucket of hot water.

Where are the girls?

Good question... I'd expect them to be standing infront of the tv talking about some nonsense, but they're not there... quite mysterious..

furthermore, the guys are just staring at the screen, the controllers are out of reach on the table.. quite mysterious..

and who's taking the picture? quite mysterious..

and is that guy on the left wearing goggles? why would he be going under water with 2 other guys in there? quite mysterious indeed..

#45 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14423 posts) -

Don't really care which consoles are better as long as they are competitive. I will, however, spew out the bullshit that these companies feed us and expose the ignorant people that don't much about their purchases.

#46 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

The problem is he read the comment section of articles. Those are filled with absolute shit. Don't listen to the extremely loud minority of users out there bitching about everything in the comments section of every article and your life improves.

#47 Edited by BranKetra (49819 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

The problem is he read the comment section of articles. Those are filled with absolute shit. Don't listen to the extremely loud minority of users out there bitching about everything in the comments section of every article and your life improves.

If GameSpot did that over a month ago, Feedbackula would not be made anymore.

#48 Posted by Shewgenja (10982 posts) -

Translation:

SHUT UP AND BUY STUFF! MUSH YOU CORPORATE WHORE! PEOPLE HAVE BILLS TO PAY, SO REMEMBER WHY YOU GAME! IT IS FOR MY BOTTOM LINE!

Seriously, that's what this asinine rant came across to me like.

#49 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Agreed.

Cows take it to the extreme with their hatred. Wish they would be more like PC/Nintendo/Xbox fans, and just play games.

#50 Edited by kitty (115008 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Agreed.

Cows take it to the extreme with their hatred. Wish they would be more like PC/Nintendo/Xbox fans, and just play games.

But if they played games, this board would be less active :(

kidding