Game Informer Reviews Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

• Completely shakes up the Zelda formula
  • The item rental purchase system actually adds to the risk/reward ratio of the game, adding a sense of difficulty missing from modern Zelda titles.
  • Heart piece puzzles are still clever despite having access to all the items whenever you want
  • No more map items to grab in dungeons, layout is shown right away, and yet it doesn't dumb down the experience
  • Seemed to really love the turning-Link-into-a-drawing mechanic; says it forces you to look at the entire game from a different point of view instead of just solving puzzles and moving on
  • "As if some of the best dungeons in Zelda history weren't enough, they typically end with some of the best bosses Link has ever encountered"
  • Some bosses return from LttP, but most are brand new
  • Completely free to do dungeons in whatever order, no number system or NPCs that tell you where to go next
  • Freeing to wander the map and explore at your leisure
  • World map laid out in same manner as LttP, but not copy-paste job; lots of tweaks to aid traversal and exploration
  • "I wouldn't change anything about this game"

I want to let the experience roll around in my brain for a while before I decide where it ranks among the best entries in the franchise, but I can say with confidence that it should be spoken in the same breath as A Link to the Past. In every way, A Link Between Worlds is exactly what you want out of a Zelda game.

SCORE: 10/10

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the true successor to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, the greatest game ever created.

#2 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (2533 posts) -

Game of the Year?

#3 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22107 posts) -

Gamespot: 8.0

Too confusing and it made my head hurt

#4 Posted by Blabadon (23710 posts) -

Yet they didn't give the masterpiece that was Killzone Mercenary, the best way of playing FPS on the go and only on the Vita, a 10.

3DS has a tax here and is paid off elsewhere.

#5 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8490 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Yet they didn't give the masterpiece that was Killzone Mercenary, the best way of playing FPS on the go and only on the Vita, a 10.

Game Informer only likes Copy and Paste jobs it seems.

#6 Posted by lamprey263 (21006 posts) -

Got mine pre-ordered, along with Mario 3D World, the 22nd is gonna be a good day for me.

#7 Edited by Blabadon (23710 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I'm not kidding

#8 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8490 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Blabadon said:

I'm not kidding

Neither am I.

#9 Posted by PonchoTaco (1660 posts) -

Another Zelda masterpiece

#10 Edited by mems_1224 (44739 posts) -

Ouch, RIP Vita

#11 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5682 posts) -

Game Informer really likes them some Zelda. First a 10/10 for Skyward Sword, now a 10/10 for Link Between Worlds. It will be interesting to see if other reviewers hold this new title up to the lofty standards set by Skyward Sword.

#12 Edited by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

Game Informer really likes them some Zelda. First a 10/10 for Skyward Sword, now a 10/10 for Link Between Worlds. It will be interesting to see if other reviewers hold this new title up to the lofty standards set by Skyward Sword.

>Loft standards

>Skyward Sword

What are you on, because I want some.

#13 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2288 posts) -

Best Zelda game ever?

#14 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (5682 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

>Loft standards

>Skyward Sword

What are you on, because I want some.

Standards don't get higher than a 10. Also, a 93 on metacritic is very good. I understand you didn't enjoy the game, but most thought it was excellent.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

Best Zelda game ever?

Lol no way. There's no fucking way this will be even close to A Link to the Past, and as long as it can't beat ALttP, it can't be the best Zelda game ever.

#16 Posted by RogueStatus28 (468 posts) -

3D World and Link Between Worlds will be gaming paradise on the 22nd.

#17 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (5682 posts) -

3D World and Link Between Worlds will be gaming paradise on the 22nd.

Yeah. Nintendo is really firing on all cylinders right now.

#18 Posted by PhazonBlazer (10964 posts) -

Floooooooooooooooooooooooooooop.

Can't believe Nintendo made this bad of a rehash.

#19 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (10518 posts) -

I don't know what I'm gonna do the 22nd. Mario 3D World or A Link Between Worlds. I might set aside the PS4 aside for those two.

#20 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Game Informer always wanks Zelda titles, they gave Skyward Sh*t Sword and Twilight Princess both a 10/10. They have zero credibility when it comes to reviewing Zelda titles.

#21 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (27836 posts) -

Nah.

I'm smellin' an 8.5.

#22 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@SonofK said:

Game Informer always wanks Zelda titles, they gave Skyward Sh*t Sword and Twilight Princess both a 10/10. They have zero credibility when it comes to reviewing Zelda titles.

The reviewer for this game:

No. Phil Kollar reviewed Skyward Sword while he worked here. This is my second Zelda review for GI, after doing The Wind Waker HD a couple months ago. Like I said earlier, I would have given SS a 9.

The only Zelda games I would give a 10 to are A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and this one.

#23 Edited by AmayaPapaya (9011 posts) -

Things are looking good and this game sounds interesting :) Hopefully it means more to come for future console releases.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

Nah.

I'm smellin' an 8.5.

Can't be 8.5. Only whole numbers now.

#25 Posted by osan0 (12372 posts) -

This and tearaway on the same day. lots of adventuring to do :-). looks like nintendo have finally delivered after two very dissapointing ds outings.

letting the player tackle dungeons in any order is a great idea.

#26 Edited by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

I haven't played A Link to the Past so I have no issues with copy paste environments/bosses. Day 1 purchase.

#27 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

it's game informer

#28 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27836 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

Nah.

I'm smellin' an 8.5.

Can't be 8.5. Only whole numbers now.

Oh damn, you're right. This is what I get for not paying attention to Gamespot's reviews anymore. Hm.

8.0 it is.

#29 Edited by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@osan0 said:

This and tearaway on the same day. lots of adventuring to do :-). looks like nintendo have finally delivered after two very dissapointing ds outings.

letting the player tackle dungeons in any order is a great idea.

I liked Phantom Hourglass...

@StriateEnd

I haven't played A Link to the Past

I HAVEN'T PLAYED A LINK TO THE PAST.

WHAAAAAAT?

#30 Edited by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@mrintro said:

it's game informer

An incredibly astute observation

Oh damn, you're right. This is what I get for not paying attention to Gamespot's reviews anymore. Hm.

8.0 it is.

I seriously hope it's a 9, but somehow I doubt it.

#31 Edited by AznbkdX (2922 posts) -

Looking good even if the site might be biased in the positive direction.

I'm guessing 8 here, but 9 is not out of the realm of possibility. Overall I'm guessing it will be AAA for the most part.

#32 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@charizard1605

Nope. It was well before my time (I know that's a lame reason lol).

I started with Majora's Mask and never felt the need to play the ones before it.

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@charizard1605

Nope. It was well before my time (I know that's a lame reason lol).

I started with Majora's Mask and never felt the need to play the ones before it.

GET IT NOW.

Seriously, it's the greatest game ever created. It's a masterpiece of game design that, 22 years later, has still not aged one bit, and it's the template for all Zelda games that followed.

#34 Posted by RogueStatus28 (468 posts) -

Aside from the Link to the Past GBA port, this should be the best handheld Zelda ever.

#35 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6445 posts) -

Never played ALttP but am hyped for this. Hoping for a black friday sale

#36 Posted by PsychoLemons (1696 posts) -

I estimate a 7/10 over here.

#37 Posted by Zophar87 (4323 posts) -
#38 Posted by RogueStatus28 (468 posts) -

Never played ALttP but am hyped for this. Hoping for a black friday sale

Celebrate this Link to the Past successor with full price :-P

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -
#40 Posted by Zophar87 (4323 posts) -
#41 Posted by Basinboy (10665 posts) -

Good for Zelda

Maybe it'll help Iwata keep his job a little bit longer

#42 Edited by ankor77 (925 posts) -

Im looking forward to this and mario 3d worlds but i also have both new consoles for launch. No time!

I dis just pick up link to the past on snes for my retron3. Will start it at some point. Im sure I can do them out of order

#43 Edited by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

They gave Skyward a 10/10? Guess I'll wait for some more reviews.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

That wasn't this guy. To requote the guy who reviewed this:

No. Phil Kollar reviewed Skyward Sword while he worked here. This is my second Zelda review for GI, after doing The Wind Waker HD a couple months ago. Like I said earlier, I would have given SS a 9.

The only Zelda games I would give a 10 to are A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and this one.

#45 Posted by TheEroica (12748 posts) -

The mother fucking game of the year.... Absolutely brilliant... twice.

#46 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@StriateEnd

WHAAAAAAT?

Hah, he's a lightweight!

I never played a Zelda game... what do you have to say about that, Sheep King? :P

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (52559 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@StriateEnd

WHAAAAAAT?

Hah, he's a lightweight!

I never played a Zelda game... what do you have to say about that, Sheep King? :P

I literally have nothing to say to that, or to you.

#48 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

@metroidfood said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

That wasn't this guy. To requote the guy who reviewed this:

Well I guess that's relieving.

Wait a minute, where's Majora's Mask in that list of 10/10 games?

#49 Posted by AznbkdX (2922 posts) -

@NameIess_One said:
@charizard1605 said:

@StriateEnd

WHAAAAAAT?

Hah, he's a lightweight!

Oh let me play!

Alttp has shit dungeons, terrible sprite work, and Link won't shut the hell up when he swings his sword or does anything.

Okay what is your remark to that?

#50 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@NameIess_One said:

Hah, he's a lightweight!

Ouch... that's harsh! D: