Gabe Newell Confirms Valve Is Working On Source 2

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -
[Quote="EuroGamer"]Gabe Newell has confirmed what we all suspected: that Valve is working on a new game engine, undoubtedly Source 2. When members of a forum popped over to Valve's office to deliver Newell's 50th birthday present they also asked him some questions. The most pertinent was this: Is Valve potentially already working on a new engine? Source 2? Could or could not be? Newell replied: We've been working on Valve's new engine stuff for a while, we're probably just waiting for a game to roll it out with. Then, Is it going to be more than just an extension to Source? Is it an entirely new engine? Newell: Yeah! This isn't the first time we've heard mention of Valve's next game engine. In August files found within Valve's Source Filmmaker program referenced a next-gen engine from the company, referred to as Source 2. The numerous lines of code that referenced Source 2 suggested the new engine was in development and primed for inclusion within Filmmaker at a later date. The original Source engine originally debuted with Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 in 2004. So, what's this game Valve is waiting to roll Source 2 out with? Is it Half-Life 3? Elsewhere in the **** chat, videoed below, Newell confirms Ricochet 2, which Valve has often jokingly referred to when press and fans ask about Half-Life 3, is in the works. Meanwhile, Newell reveals SOB, the abbreviation for a game some believed to be in the works at the company, refers to Stars of Blood, an internal project that was never released. We're not doing it any more, Newell says. We had an internal project called Stars of Blood, which was a space pirate game, and that never saw the light of day.

Source Half Life 3 confirmed :cool:
#2 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4146 posts) -

When is he going to start work on something that ends in "3"?

#3 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
hl3 confirmed for 2016, ps4 exclusive.
#4 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

Jolt_counter119
First, we need to make sure he completes his elementary school education. Anyone wanna chip in?
#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

Yay, I guess.

Only a few more years and we might get to see the first screenshot of HL3

#6 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)
#7 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4365 posts) -

the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)campzor

Well considering L4D, Portal 2, The Orange Box, and CS GO all came out on consoles this gen I would guess its gonna be multiplat. There is too much money to be made on consoles to ignore them.

#8 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Who is Gave Newell? :P

#9 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Bring it on!

#10 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12824 posts) -
the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)campzor
PC first. Gabe has a thing against working towards closed systems. They'll then scale it down and port it over to whatever other systems have a potential market.
#12 Posted by Merex760 (4337 posts) -

Jolt_counter119
Left 4 Dead 3? Soon.
#13 Posted by freedomfreak (43036 posts) -
Tone it down with showcasing your physics engine with silly puzzles this time, Valve.
#14 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Half Life 3, Portal 3, Team Fortress 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 all to be released on this engine... I'm ready for it.

#15 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Hell ye, Gaben Gaben Gaben!

#16 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)JohnnyCageMK

Well considering L4D, Portal 2, The Orange Box, and CS GO all came out on consoles this gen I would guess its gonna be multiplat. There is too much money to be made on consoles to ignore them.

#18 Posted by BattleSpectre (6848 posts) -

Bring on Left 4 Dead 3 baby

#19 Posted by lulmont (670 posts) -

Guess we're gonna see a new Counter-Strike sooner than I thought CS Source 2 anyone bundled with HL3.

#20 Posted by kraken2109 (13208 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)JohnnyCageMK

But Valve console games are always terrible compared with the PC versions.
#21 Posted by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

The site we are on, Gamespot.com, reported this news yesterday.

I even said with regards to a new Source in the comment section :

"Nice to hear, looking forward to whatever comes down the pike (L4D3, HL3, Episode 3, Portal 3, New IP, etc.)"

#22 Posted by -CheeseEater- (5258 posts) -

Love me some Gave Newell.

#23 Posted by Another-World (783 posts) -
I weep for the space pirate game that wasn't to be, that has been one idea I wish somebody would make a great game on, and Valve would definitely be the guys to do it. Or rather, would have been. *sniff*
#24 Posted by Malta_1980 (11483 posts) -

It was quite obvious, Source engine though good does feel outdated...

Lets hope they show it off with a new IP while maybe work also on titles such as HL3, Team Fortress 3 & a completely a new Counter Strike game :) (but i know this would be asking way too much)

#25 Posted by organic_machine (9699 posts) -

F*cking finally. We've all known what they've been up to, but I've been waiting for an explicit confirmation from them. This is that explicit confirmation.

#26 Posted by organic_machine (9699 posts) -

Gaben confirmed Half Life 3 ages ago :)

Stringerboy

Find this confirmation, please.

Here's a hint: you can't. There has been no explicit confirmation, even though we all know it.

There are two stages to the Half Life 3 development:
1) Half Life 2: Episode 3 is in development, HL3 is not.
2) Half Life 3 is in development, HL2:E2 is not.

The question is, when did Valve stop working on Half Life 2: Episode 3 and start working on Half Life 3? There really hase been no confirmation that this has taken place. Now, there has been evidence which stronly suggests that this has taken place and the transition took place around early 2009. But people keep throwing around the term "confirmation." Confirmation means explicit, set in stone, proven true. This is not the case. The evidence is strong, but Valve can come out tomorrow and say that they're still working on HL2:E3 and not HL3. There has been no explicit confirmation. Stop parading around claiming that there has been. Again, evidence suggesting /= confirmation.

#27 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Valve always make games for the PC first and give it so much love, and then port it to consoles. The result is that PC version of their games are superior. Hell, 97% of multiplats are superior on PC.

Valve games are meant to be played on PC.

#28 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Going to toot my own horn and say called it. Makes sense, when Valve goes silent for so long they're going to be committing to something big. They've admitted the HL2 episodes were a failure as an attempt at episodic development, and they're looking at making source a free license engine and toolkit ala Unity, so HL3 and Source 2 are logical developments.
#29 Posted by clyde46 (47458 posts) -
Come on Gabe, YOU OWN TO GAMERS TO MAKE HALF-LIFE 3!
#30 Posted by toddx77 (3303 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnnyCageMK"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]the only interesting thing about source 2 is whether it will be engineered for mostly pc purposes or if they caved and will make it multiplatform for ps4/720/(lolwiiu)GamerwillzPS

Valve always make games for the PC first and give it so much love, and then port it to consoles. The result is that PC version of their games are superior. Hell, 97% of multiplats are superior on PC.

This. On consoles TF2 never got all the free updates, Left 4 Dead DLC wasn't free, no user content, and MS wouldn't let Live link with Steam to play Portal 2 online like Sony did with the PSN.

#31 Posted by marklarmer (3883 posts) -

say you wouldn't happen to be working on anything else there would you Gabe? you know maybe like the next episode of HL2 seeing asthough the last one came out over 5 freaking years ago!?!?!?! it'll probably still only be like 4 hours long, i assume they're just waiting till they can come up with something else to bundle it with.

#32 Posted by clyde46 (47458 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

[QUOTE="JohnnyCageMK"]

toddx77

This. On consoles TF2 never got all the free updates, Left 4 Dead DLC wasn't free, no user content, and MS wouldn't let Live link with Steam to play Portal 2 online like Sony did with the PSN.

MS really did cripple the Valve games which is a real shame as I had a huge blast playing L4D over XBL.
#33 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

Tone it down with showcasing your physics engine with silly puzzles this time, Valve.freedomfreak

Source biggest issue to me was its loadtimes and size of the levels/areas. After every level/area you finished, and most weren't very long, you had to wait for the next part to load.

Portal 2 managed to have bigger levels but still had a lot of load times.

I hope they can have more streaming, bigger levels and less loading screens in their new engine.

#34 Posted by PAL360 (27254 posts) -

Half Life 3 and Left 4 dead 3 running on Source 2 for Xbox 3 and PS4 would be amazing! Make it happen...

#35 Posted by clyde46 (47458 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Tone it down with showcasing your physics engine with silly puzzles this time, Valve.R4gn4r0k

Source biggest issue to me was its loadtimes and size of the levels/areas. After every level/area you finished, and most weren't very long, you had to wait for the next part to load.

I hope they can have more streaming, bigger levels and less loading screens in their new engine.

Aside from the initial load in, I dont notice the loading screens.
#36 Posted by Sushiglutton (5493 posts) -
Breaking news: A company is working on a new engine that will be finished sometime in the future. Some game will be the first to use it.
#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

Aside from the initial load in, I dont notice the loading screens. clyde46

Really ? Half Life 2's loading times were infamously long:?

The game even had to load its main menu (which was nice, but totally not worth the wait)

#39 Posted by freedomfreak (43036 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Aside from the initial load in, I dont notice the loading screens. R4gn4r0k

Really ? Half Life 2's loading times were infamously long:?

The game even had to load its main menu (which was nice, but totally not worth the wait)

Yeah, the loadings would pop up randomly. Hell, I know when they pop up because I finished it that much :P
#40 Posted by Heil68 (46810 posts) -
That's good to hear and I'm looking forward to the games that come from it.
#41 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17476 posts) -

Yeah, the loadings would pop up randomly. Hell, I know when they pop up because I finished it that much :Pfreedomfreak

Same here. I know them by heart by now

I'm waiting to replay it untill Black Mesa is finished so I can play them all one after another. Maybe HL3 will be finished by then :P

#42 Posted by Allthishate (1876 posts) -
Fat gabe finally got himself out of the kitchen to confirm they are making source engine 2... so at this slobs rate the next half life will be on the shelves in 2020 GG GL FUKIN HAVE FUN.
#43 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Impress me Valve.

#44 Posted by kraken2109 (13208 posts) -
Fat gabe finally got himself out of the kitchen to confirm they are making source engine 2... so at this slobs rate the next half life will be on the shelves in 2020 GG GL FUKIN HAVE FUN. Allthishate
umad
#45 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Tone it down with showcasing your physics engine with silly puzzles this time, Valve.R4gn4r0k

I imagine this is something that Valve will absolutely rectify. Bear in mind that in 2004, loading times were very common. Perhaps they couldn't change the architecture of the engine to sort this out without f*cking up.
#46 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
Finally.
#47 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
You guys better savior the moment because we will never see a source 3 in the near future
#48 Posted by RR360DD (13033 posts) -
You guys better savior the moment because we will never see a source 3 in the near futureLittleMac19
Source engine 3 is for our grandchildrens kids.
#49 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is.....

#50 Posted by organic_machine (9699 posts) -

Call me crazy, but I don't see what the big deal is.....

ShadowMoses900

You're crazy. :|

Jk. I think the reason is because for several years now people have had to put up with Gabe's almost politician-like question dodging, never giving a real answer.

It's only now that we're getting real answers. Which in turn implies that, at least for fans of Valve's work, big things are coming down the pipeline. Valve never ever talks about anything unless they're confident about it. Given that he even recognizes the existence of source 2 is a big step. Again, at least for us fans.

Hopefully they do the engine correctly this time and we have a worthy competetor to the Unreal Engine 4 whose predecessor, without a doubt, has dominated this gen.