SW debates is an activity to bring some intelligent debates/arguments back to SW. Take this opportunity to prove to another system warrior that you are right, or to embarrass a troll in front of everyone. Here are the rules. The step we are currently on is highlighted in green. Want to help with tallying and compiling a list of nominations? Go to the SW debates union to help out. Link
WE NEED MORE COWZ AND LEMMINGS
Debate season will last for 5 months after the jury has been picked
1. A new debate topic will be posted every week.
2. Topic Ideas can be posted on the SW union board debate topic sticky, an officer will pick the best five to be narrowed down by a community vote via poll every Monday during debate season.
The System Wars Debates Central board were you post your topic ideas can be found here LINK
RULES OF DEBATE
1. The debater for each side will post his or her own introductory post stating their stance on the topic.
2. There will then be exactly three rebuttal posts from each debater, in which the debaters may address and refute points made by the other person, as well as adding any new points that may come up.
3. Finally, each debater will post one concluding post, summing up his or her side of the debate. Following the concluding posts, the thread will be closed.
4. Debaters may not post more than 5 posts in total. Once the 5-post limit is reached, further posts by that debater will be deleted from the thread, but the thread will remain open for posts by the opponent, until either his or her own 5-post limit is reached or until time runs out.
5. Debates will last five days each, unless both debaters reach their 5-post limit.
6. Debaters may include links to any supporting information or references in their posts. They may also quote extracted sections of text from other sites.
7. Each post will have a maximum of 500 words.
8. A jury comprised of two people from each faction will decide the winner of the debate based on what they have read after each participant has posted their 5 posts or both participants announce they have finished.
SIGNING UP FOR DEBATE.
You can sign up for a stance on a topic here. LINK
Debaters must be level ten or higher to participate.
DECIDING THE WINNER
1. Jurors will be able to discuss everything regarding the debate in the debate sticky.
2. Jurors will vote via secret ballot and will send their votes to the SW debate union officer running the debate thread.
3. The vote will be a simple majority rules.
4. In the event of a tie amongst the jury a community vote will decide the winner of the debate via poll.
DECIDING THE JURY
1. A jury members faction will be determined by what they signed up as in the SW bets thread. (Cow, Hermit, Lemming, Sheep, Manticore)
2. Jury members will volunteer and then chosen by SW the community.
3. The SW community will decide on jury members once at the beginning of every debate season via mass voting.
4. There will be a thread where SW posters can postto volunteer.
"I (faction) volunteer to serve on the jury" <- please volunteer in this format
5. This thread will be open for a week.
6. After a week has passed, the thread will be closed and then a new thread will be reopened with all of the volunteers listed in the OP divided by faction.
7. SW members can vote by listing their top two choices for each faction. Like below (example)
8. The person voted for in the 1 position will receive two points and the person in the 2 position will receive one point
9. In the case of a tie the rest of the contenders for a certain factions jury will be eliminated and the process will be repeated. If there is still a tie one of the mods will pick anonymously.
10 The thread to vote in for jury members will be open for a week hours. If there is a tie the thread to decide the winner of ties will only be open for 48 hours.
Jurors and debaters must be level ten or higher to participate. You must also be level 10 or higher to vote on jurors.
Please begin volunteering for juror positions. The ability to volunteer for jury will last roughly one week from the time of this post. Please color your text if you are volunteering so it is easier to pick out.