Fumito Ueda issues The Last Guardian statement ahead of Sony's PlayStation 4 eve

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

Gasp, go ahead, fall off your chair, I did. :shock: :P

Thoughts ?

The Story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13-fumito-ueda-issues-the-last-guardian-statement-ahead-of-sonys-playstation-4-event

Fumito Ueda issues The Last Guardian statement ahead of Sony's PlayStation 4 event

"Please keep an eye out."

The creator of delayed PlayStation 3-exclusive The Last Guardian has issued an update on the game's development just days before Sony's big PlayStation (4) pow-wow in New York.

Fumito Ueda explained that work on The Last Guardian was still in-progress (as it has been since 2007) and that he remained in charge.

Cryptically, Ueda added that the release of new information surrounding the project was Sony's job, not his.

"While it's been a long time coming, The Last Guardian remains under my creative supervision and is still in development by an incredibly talented team," Ueda wrote on his personal site.

"I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian's release is [sic] solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement."

Ueda went on to mention that he was planning new projects to be undertaken "with a fresh perspective" - on a new console?

"Moving forward, it is my intent to continue my involvement with The Last Guardian project, as well as pursue new creative projects with a fresh perspective. As I rekindle my passions as a creator, I look forward to seeing where it will take me, and I deeply appreciate your support during this transition."

Ueda's statement comes exactly one week before Sony's much-hyped news conference. It's the first we've heard of The Last Guardian in months.

Sony Worldwide Studios chief Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer last year that the game was still being developed "on PlayStation 3".

Would The Last Guardian continue to be developed for PlayStation 3 after the announcement of its successor?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
At this point it is like Versus 13, I just don't care anymore, they lost me a long time ago. I will just wait till it is released before I even get my hopes up again.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I knew it. If it does end up ps4, hopefully it uses the consoles abilities and isn't stuck with ps3 level assets. It will be nice having a launch game that feels like a mid-gen developed game.
KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
We all know the quality of games that suffer from development hell. DNF and Aliens:CM say hi.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

I have literally no hype left for The Last Guardian

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44060 Posts

We all know the quality of games that suffer from development hell. DNF and Aliens:CM say hi.KodiakKoolaid
GT5 & Too Human say hello as well. :P

But I'm hoping that's not the case since that's just bad all the way around.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
well, suddenly i'm interested in sony's nintendo direct event thingy.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I don't care anymore. Seems like games that are in development for such a long time end up sucking anyway.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
As a launch game it would seem appealing, but who eats the costs on a game thats been 6+ years in the making. I'd have a hard time believing that a launch title is going to sell enough to make those back with a small user base.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
How can you develop for so long on one architecture and then just switch to something else?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

announced as Launch title....gets pushed 5 years later.

when it finally comes out, it'll be critical garbage.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
As a launch game it would seem appealing, but who eats the costs on a game thats been 6+ years in the making. I'd have a hard time believing that a launch title is going to sell enough to make those back with a small user base.blue_hazy_basic
Team Ico is a Sony owned studio anyway so, Sony would be eating the costs regardless of whatever direction they go in with The Last Guardian.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]As a launch game it would seem appealing, but who eats the costs on a game thats been 6+ years in the making. I'd have a hard time believing that a launch title is going to sell enough to make those back with a small user base.FlamesOfGrey
Team Ico is a Sony owned studio anyway so, Sony would be eating the costs regardless of whatever direction they go in with The Last Guardian.

Except if you release a game on a userbase of 80 mil vs 4 mil I'm pretty sure I know which one is likely to sell better :P
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
To think, many people bought PS3s for this and/or Versus.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you guys keep dreaming that a project that started in like 2006 that they're gonna throw all away to start a new on PS4. For that they would need new Engine and stuff  but this is Team Ico's last game. What I think is that Sony somehow made the PS4 backward compatible with the PS3 because oherwise many of these new releases will flop due to next gen hype, people selling their old consoles for PS4, etc. Or maybe the game will be optimized to run on new hardware like those classic PS2 games on PSN and Sony's gonna promote them like dual-releases ala PS-Allstar with Vita.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

you guys keep dreaming that a project that started in like 2006 is gonna throw away all that work to start a new on PS4. For that they would need new Engine and stuff  but this is Team Ico's last game. What I think is that Sony somehow made the PS4 backward compatible with the PS3 because oherwise many of these new releases will flop due to next gen hype, people selling their old PS3's for PS4, etc.

Gue1
With the huge change in architecture I can't see it being easy for the PS4 to be BC with the PS3 ...
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]As a launch game it would seem appealing, but who eats the costs on a game thats been 6+ years in the making. I'd have a hard time believing that a launch title is going to sell enough to make those back with a small user base.blue_hazy_basic

Except if you release a game on a userbase of 80 mil vs 4 mil I'm pretty sure I know which one is likely to sell better :P

Yeah, but with the way Team Ico are going it looks like Sony is either going to have to move it to the PS4 or cancel the game. Team Ico has been eating up Sonys money for over 6 years now.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
it better not be a PS4 game, TLG is one of the reasons i own a PS3.
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts
I dont see this being good anymore, I have a feeling its gone down the road of we're making a ps3 game, development takes longer than thought, hmmm ok it'll be an end of gen game a pinnacle for the PS3, takes a little longer, hmmmmm well we'll switch to ps4, start ripping stuff apart to make it work on the new system, development drags on, Sony get impatient directive comes down finish and release, product comes out as a shadow of what it should have been. could be wrong, could come out as some amazing launch title, but i have a feeling my first proposal is more likely.
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Hopefully it's for PS4 now since the whole problem was technical issues. It's so weird to think a dev team went a whole gen without releasing anything.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Would be nice to get some more info. SotC is still my favourite game of all time and I was sad to see the decline in the team and how they became a laughing stock among gamers.

This and versus 13 could end up on PS4 yet

Also for a guy who didn't really care about the event on the 20th, suddenly i'm all ears

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

you guys keep dreaming that a project that started in like 2006 is gonna throw away all that work to start a new on PS4. For that they would need new Engine and stuff  but this is Team Ico's last game. What I think is that Sony somehow made the PS4 backward compatible with the PS3 because oherwise many of these new releases will flop due to next gen hype, people selling their old PS3's for PS4, etc.

blue_hazy_basic

With the huge change in architecture I can't see it being easy for the PS4 to be BC with the PS3 ...

I don't think it will be. Sony can't exactly afford to splash the cash on such features.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Incoming for 2017.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]As a launch game it would seem appealing, but who eats the costs on a game thats been 6+ years in the making. I'd have a hard time believing that a launch title is going to sell enough to make those back with a small user base.blue_hazy_basic

Not really.

Resistance: FOM was a launch title, and its the highest selling game in the series compared to 2 and 3, despite being the worst in every reguard (and just generally terrible).

People bought it mainly due to there not being much else available on the platform in its earlier years.  Same thing with the motorstorm series.  

People will buy it because its there.  

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
If it were to release with the PS4... man that would move some consoles :O
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Team Ico is a Sony owned studio anyway so, Sony would be eating the costs regardless of whatever direction they go in with The Last Guardian.StrongDeadlift

Not really.

Resistance: FOM was a launch title, and its the highest selling game in the series compared to 2 and 3, despite being the worst in every reguard (and just generally terrible).

People bought it mainly due to there not being much else available on the platform in its earlier years.  Same thing with the motorstorm series.  

Shooter vs much less mainstream game (at least in the west)
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Except if you release a game on a userbase of 80 mil vs 4 mil I'm pretty sure I know which one is likely to sell better :Pblue_hazy_basic

Not really.

If Sony can market it right I could (at the worst), expect it to be the next 'Journey'.
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

ps4 launch game, make it happen sony.TheGuardian03

Final Fantasy Versus 13 and The Last Guardian for PS4 launch titles would be bombastically mind blowing. :P

Along with console launch IP's from Media Molecule, Evelotion Studios, Guerilla Games, and/or Naughty God.

That thing would sell 4 million copies the very first day of release.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I forgot this game even existed
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If the game released on the PS4 then it'd probably have a migher chance of me buying it since I don't think I'll be getting a PS3 at this point, with the PS4 and Xbox720 coming incoming.

Of course this game has been in development for so long it makes it harder to give any sh*ts for it.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Not really.

StrongDeadlift

If Sony can market it right I could (at the worst), expect it to be the next 'Journey'.

You mean Journey the 2hr long game with HUGE critcial acclaim which barely made back its money to a huge userbase? :?

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
At this point it is like Versus 13, I just don't care anymore, they lost me a long time ago. I will just wait till it is released before I even get my hopes up again.fueled-system
What replacement did you find? Because I hardly ever manage to find closure for vaporware. :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The Last Guardian PS4 EXCLUSIVE, DAY 1 RELEASE!? DAT MOTHERF*CKIN BOMB!! :cool: Make it happen Sony! Bring on the butthurt! :cool:

Desmonic

I would be pretty p*ssed if that happened. I bought a PS3 for TLG, not a PS4

OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Shooter vs much less mainstream game (at least in the west)

You mean Journey the 2hr long game which barely made back its money to a huge userbase? :?

Isn't that because the game went two years over schedule? I hope these games are sustainable.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

lol they took all PS3 7 year life span to make the game and now they will release it when PSnext comes out... they better not release it on PS3 or they gonna get hit hard with poor sales. Last Guardian could be amazing but it still wont sell too good, games of this type, like ICO dont sell well. Releasing this on PS3 would be suicide :?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Shooter vs much less mainstream game (at least in the west)blue_hazy_basic

You mean Journey the 2hr long game with HUGE critcial acclaim which barely made back its money to a huge userbase? :?

Which is kind of astonishing, given the utter lack of advertising.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] If Sony can market it right I could (at the worst), expect it to be the next 'Journey'. nervmeister

Which is kind of astonishing, given the utter lack of advertising.

I'm not criticising Journey, merely commenting on comparing TLG as the "next journey"
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It's obviously a PS4 title... Why else would they delay it then bring in another studio AND have it revealed or "keep an eye out" at Sonys big event that's supposed to be huge and all.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

The Last Guardian PS4 EXCLUSIVE, DAY 1 RELEASE!? DAT MOTHERF*CKIN BOMB!! :cool: Make it happen Sony! Bring on the butthurt! :cool:

Desmonic

I would be pretty p*ssed if that happened. I bought a PS3 for TLG, not a PS4

See, already causing butthurt and we still haven't heard a word about it hehe :P

I said if...

still no butthurt induced... yet :P

JMR09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JMR09
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
I'm sorry, while Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my favorite games, I've pretty much given up on The Last Guardian at this point. Give us a release date and maybe it'll peak my interest again.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I think the smart move would be to make it a ps4 game. by the time is finally does get released any thunder it once had for a ps3 release will be long gone by most consumers.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

HHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Would be a much smarter move for Sony and Square to release both LAst Guardian an Versus on the PS4.. do that and PS4 will be the biggest console of next generation.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

7 days remaining.

Lems be scared.

720OwnsPS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 720OwnsPS4
Member since 2013 • 132 Posts

Would be a much smarter move for Sony and Square to release both LAst Guardian an Versus on the PS4.. do that and PS4 will be the biggest console of next generation.

finalstar2007
Neither of those games have any effect outside Japan.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Shooter vs much less mainstream game (at least in the west)blue_hazy_basic

I thought thatgamecompany said that Journey made their money back aswell as profit? From what I understand the development of Journey almost bankrupted them but after Journey released they are back in the black.

Maybe it would've been more successful if it was about the other Journey.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I wonder if it will be a PS4 game.