Franchises that need to die

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

list the franchises that u think need to die.

halo - original trilogy was good but has been horrible since then. multiplayer now also sucks and the story in halo 4 is terrible so best they stop making this garbage series now

killzone - for the love of god sony use your resources elsewhere, this trash has never been good ever. the sooner they kill it off the better. im hoping gorrila new ip means the end of this sh*t

god of war - trilogy is over, time to change the scenery now. either switch to a different time period, like egypt or kill it off

gears of war - the story was garbage in the trilogy and now that its over they can only make prequels because the main quest is finished. multiplayer was good but its better if they make new game using similar mechanics

#2 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24228 posts) -

The Last of Us - It does NOT need to be a Franchise. Kill it before we get a 2.

Resident Evil - You've gone too far Capcom, just stop.

Final Fantasy - 15 is your last Chance Square.

Mass Effect - 3 was enough, Adding a Sequel is just going to make the Milk Sour.

Assassin's Creed - Loved 4, but I think that's where they should stop the "Main Story" it just dragged out way too long.

#3 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

Resident Evil - You've gone too far Capcom, just stop.

Final Fantasy - 15 is your last Chance Square.

Mass Effect - 3 was enough, Adding a Sequel is just going to make the Milk Sour.

Assassin's Creed - Loved 4, but I think that's where they should stop the "Main Story" it just dragged out way too long.

agree with mass effect, though they could make a spin off series i dont think they should. i just got so bored of ass creed revelations its put me off the franchise now

#4 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34079 posts) -

None really come to mind TBH. The only time a series should just die is if its story ends or something, although even then they could maybe do spin-offs or prequels or whatever.

I'll say that as long as there is still a large amount of support for a series, it should not die. While alot of people love to s*** all over CoD, I certainly will not hold it against Activision for continuing to make something that is clearly wanted my many and nets them buttloads of cash in return.

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3223 posts) -

None need to die.

#6 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Anything made by Nintendo really. I wish they would actually do something original for once instead of jerking off the same old franchises constantly for decades on end.

Assasins creed.

Resident evil.

Gears of war.

Halo.

Final fantasy.

Tomb raider.

Castlevania.

Transformers.

#7 Posted by Renevent42 (5009 posts) -

Final Fantasy...nothing but emo-nonsense for over two decades. Loved the NES/SNES version although III IMO is when they started to get silly.

#8 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

Gran Turismo- the series has been in slow decline since prologue and hasn't been the same since

Gears- 3 was ok and judgement was awful I feel the story is good but any thing else we get will just be a rehash

God of war- Kratos has had more life than most he's badass but not necessary anymore

Mario- I love Mario but it's getting old I know I'm going to get flamed for this since I love Mario but he needs to die or do something new

Halo- Halo 1&2 were amazing 3 was ok and the rest were boring I hated 4 and 5 has the name but just not my hype unless they do something amazing masterchief needs a vacay

#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9266 posts) -

HALOGEARSFORZA

GranTurismo

Mass Effect (just leave it, dont drag it onto Next gen)

Ass Creed (just fucking stop and make a new IP)

COD

Battle Field (well it doesnt need to die, but the should not come out with the next one till like 3 years from now)

God of War... I guess... since its over, but damn I would love to see how mindblowing a GOW game would be on the PS4.

Final Fantasy, either start all over with else or just die. I dont play those games anyways tho...

IDK about KZ, I like it. I havent played Shadow Fall, but that was GG experimenting in which new direction they can stir the franchise. I would wait to see how KZ4 turns out, before i say im tired of it. GG has another IP the are working on, so thats good that they arent just stuck to KZ.

#10 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Anything made by Nintendo really. I wish they would actually do something original for once instead of jerking off the same old franchises constantly for decades on end.

Assasins creed.

Resident evil.

Gears of war.

Halo.

Final fantasy.

Tomb raider.

Castlevania.

Transformers.

I think your list is as good a place to start as any. I would also add the Uncharted franchise to that list as well.

We need more originality in the gaming industry. They're as bad as Hollywood now in giving us nothing but sequels and regurgitated pap.

#11 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24228 posts) -

Gran Turismo- the series has been in slow decline since prologue and hasn't been the same since

Gears- 3 was ok and judgement was awful I feel the story is good but any thing else we get will just be a rehash

God of war- Kratos has had more life than most he's badass but not necessary anymore

Mario- I love Mario but it's getting old I know I'm going to get flamed for this since I love Mario but he needs to die or do something new

Halo- Halo 1&2 were amazing 3 was ok and the rest were boring I hated 4 and 5 has the name but just not my hype unless they do something amazing masterchief needs a vacay

Heh I almost put Mario in there too, but I forget that Mario actually appeals to Kids too and those games should stick around.

Same goes for Sonic.

#12 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Tomb raider.

why tomb raider? i thought the reboot was outstanding and yes it did play like uncharted but there is nothing wrong with that. i just hope the sequel has a better story

i dont play racing games but arnt the sequels just new cars and a few new features? surly gt can do that and if they kill it off sony have no other racing sim.

IDK about KZ, I like it. I havent played Shadow Fall, but that was GG experimenting in which new direction they can stir the franchise. I would wait to see how KZ4 turns out, before i say im tired of it. GG has another IP the are working on, so thats good that they arent just stuck to KZ.

lets hope it doesnt get as far as killzone 4. unless 1st party studios are going to be original there is no point in even making 1st person shooters because 3rd party have that genre on lock.

#13 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

@Gargus said:

Assasins creed.

Resident evil.

Gears of war.

Halo.

Final fantasy.

Tomb raider.

Castlevania.

Transformers.

I think your list is as good a place to start as any. I would also add the Uncharted franchise to that list as well.

We need more originality in the gaming industry. They're as bad as Hollywood now in giving us nothing but sequels and regurgitated pap.

hell no, not uncharted. because its not a trilogy each game can have its own adventure. its the Indiana jones of gaming, depending on how 4 turns out i would want maybe 1 more last hooray near the end of gen before they put the series to bed.

#14 Posted by edwardecl (1777 posts) -

I don't think any series need to die, but unless they can add something new and improved to a game or make a good story they should end it.

Final Fantasy is a piece of shit now because they decided to take out what was fun about the game rather than improving it. If they continue doing that then they should pack it in.

God of War did get a bit stale by latest PS3 one, nothing was really added and after seeing Kratos got to hell again (how many times is it?) the story become uninteresting. Still a good game though, just the enthusiasm I had for the previous ones had died down because I've played it before.

Dead Space... I got bored of the first one by the end, and the sequels added nothing.

Dynasty Warrior... Has anything much changed from the PS2 versions...

Need for Speed... game is a total piece of shit, the only one that was mildly amusing at the time was the original hot pursuit.

CoD, Battlefield, Medal of Honour, generic first person shooters.

#15 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27199 posts) -

Pretty much all series should be capped at 3 when you've got the same characters I think. Can't think of any which I've enjoyed or haven't gone stale past that (very happy to be wrong though!)

As for ME I can't wait for another game, but it won't be with Shep. It will be just be set in the ME universe, following a new storyline.

#16 Posted by dvalo9 (1269 posts) -

Sonic. Is the only correct answer

Halo. gears .killzone .ass creed still at least churn out good games but sonic should have died 25 years ago.

Honorable mentions to final fantasy and resident evil for somehow being alive

#17 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

Pretty much all series should be capped at 3 when you've got the same characters I think. Can't think of any which I've enjoyed or haven't gone stale past that (very happy to be wrong though!)

As for ME I can't wait for another game, but it won't be with Shep. It will be just be set in the ME universe, following a new storyline.

but thats what kills it for me, the overarching story is over. because of the open ended nature of me3 ending they can only set the storyline to a time before the reaper threat. maybe it could be about krugen war or something but its like reading a book after knowing how it ends anyway, sure it might be good but it wont reach the same level of excitement

#18 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: I can't quote since I'm on mobile but GT used to be the defining racing sim it feels stale and old I get people still like it but sales are showing that it isn't doing well they have amazing tech but it seems DriveClub is set to replace it and for good reason

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

god of war - trilogy is over, time to change the scenery now. either switch to a different time period, like egypt or kill it off

Would be cool if Kratos plans to become the Egyptian or Norse God of War.

But I love The Last of Us :'(

#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25812 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

Heh I almost put Mario in there too, but I forget that Mario actually appeals to Kids too and those games should stick around.

Same goes for Sonic.

On top of that, Nintendo is NOTHING without Mario (and Zelda/Pokemon). May as well ask them to kill themselves.

#21 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

@dvalo9 said:

Sonic. Is the only correct answer

Halo. gears .killzone .ass creed still at least churn out good games but sonic should have died 25 years ago.

Honorable mentions to final fantasy and resident evil for somehow being alive

sonic generations? heard good things about it and from the footage i have seen it looks good. havnt played it yet but its on my steam wishlist so when the price drops i will buy it

#22 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

hell no, not uncharted. because its not a trilogy each game can have its own adventure. its the Indiana jones of gaming, depending on how 4 turns out i would want maybe 1 more last hooray near the end of gen before they put the series to bed.

If Uncharted is the Indiana Jones of gaming, than I don't want an Unchrated 4 :|

#23 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27199 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

but thats what kills it for me, the overarching story is over. because of the open ended nature of me3 ending they can only set the storyline to a time before the reaper threat. maybe it could be about krugen war or something but its like reading a book after knowing how it ends anyway, sure it might be good but it wont reach the same level of excitement

Have you played KOTOR? :P

EDIT and RPG's generally have "canon" routes that are taken.

Or the Baldurs Gate series?

Both of those widely considered amongst the best RPG's ever and both set in universes that previously widely explored.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (54383 posts) -

Let's see, the ones I think actively outstayed their welcome are:

• Need for Speed (seriously, kill this one and bring back the much better Burnout instead. I say this as someone who loved Rivals, btw)
  • Killzone (stop trying to make it happen, Sony. It's not happening. Killzone had one game that was better than average, and its reception was inflated because at that time, it was the only good exclusive shooter on its console. Killzone games look good, but they are generally mediocre otherwise)
  • Gears of War (I actually love all three Gears of War games, but it's clear that three is as many as was needed. Anything more than that feels like milkage- see also, Judgement)
  • God of War (God of War is one of my favorite series, but Sony has milked it beyond endurance in too short a time. I would be okay with them not killing it if they switched it up a lot, incidentally. In fact, I would prefer that rather than it being axed outright)
  • ModNation Racers (again, stop trying to make this happen, Sony. No one cares)
  • Resistance (see: Killzone, ModNation Racers)
  • Anything Mario that is not Kart or the main platforming series (Enough. With. The. Fucking. Mario. Milkage. Jesus Christ, Nintendo. What the fuck is your problem? The release of a Mario game used to cause everyone to sit up and take notice, now no one cares because there is one every month. Stop milking it so much. Keep Kart and the mainline platforming series. Axe everything else. All of it. No exceptions)
  • Gran Turismo (The PSP game was bad. Prologue was bad. 5 was bad. 6 is somehow worse. The series has peaked. It's on its way down. Quit while you are still at least somewhat ahead)
  • Fable (honestly, I loved Fable. I loved Fable 2 even more. Charming games, with so much player agency, and so much fun. But then, Fable 3 was awful, The Journey was a joke, and now they're coming up with this shitty looking Fable Legends. Just... let it go, Microsoft. Try to make a new IP for once. Rest Fable and stop tarnishing Molyneux's legacy so bad)

That's all I remember right now, but I'll be back with more.

#25 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

Madden, seeing as how uninspired and lackluster the last 3 have been I wish, all while knowing they won't do this, EA would shut down for a year or two and truly develop a grand next gen version. Other than that so long as I enjoy the game, keeping making as many of them in a franchise as you want. If the quality int there I wont buy it. But if it is I'm sold.

#26 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Have you played KOTOR? :P

EDIT and RPG's generally have "canon" routes that are taken.

Or the Baldurs Gate series?

Both of those widely considered amongst the best RPG's ever and both set in universes that previously widely explored.

no i dont usually play those type of games. the only ones i played is mass effect and the witcher, maybe u are right. im just sceptical and dont really have confidence in the mass effect writers. i heard they didnt even have a planned ending to the trilogy till they got to me3

#27 Posted by StormyJoe (4577 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: I say:

Kill all franchises except the RPGs. Halo, Uncharted, Gears, GoW, Metal Gear, Mario, Metroid, etc. Been there, done that. I say "keep the RPGs" because it's nice to continue the lore, which is so key to the game.

#28 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6594 posts) -

@charizard1605: I think Nintendo should continue to make Smash and Golf as well. Also, a Dynasty Warriors spinoff entitled Mushroom Warriors would be a welcome addition to my household.

#29 Posted by Telekill (4213 posts) -

Halo, God of War and Pikmin.

#30 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Puggy301 said:

If Uncharted is the Indiana Jones of gaming, than I don't want an Unchrated 4 :|

haha u may have a point. but in naughty dog i trust

• Need for Speed (seriously, kill this one and bring back the much better Burnout instead. I say this as someone who loved Rivals, btw)
  • Killzone (stop trying to make it happen, Sony. It's not happening. Killzone had one game that was better than average, and its reception was inflated because at that time, it was the only good exclusive shooter on its console. Killzone games look good, but they are generally mediocre otherwise)
  • Gears of War (I actually love all three Gears of War games, but it's clear that three is as many as was needed. Anything more than that feels like milkage- see also, Judgement)
  • God of War (God of War is one of my favorite series, but Sony has milked it beyond endurance in too short a time. I would be okay with them not killing it if they switched it up a lot, incidentally. In fact, I would prefer that rather than it being axed outright)
  • ModNation Racers (again, stop trying to make this happen, Sony. No one cares)
  • Resistance (see: Killzone, ModNation Racers)
  • Anything Mario that is not Kart or the main platforming series (Enough. With. The. Fucking. Mario. Milkage. Jesus Christ, Nintendo. What the fuck is your problem? The release of a Mario game used to cause everyone to sit up and take notice, now no one cares because there is one every month. Stop milking it so much. Keep Kart and the mainline platforming series. Axe everything else. All of it. No exceptions)
  • Gran Turismo (The PSP game was bad. Prologue was bad. 5 was bad. 6 is somehow worse. The series has peaked. It's on its way down. Quit while you are still at least somewhat ahead)
  • Fable (honestly, I loved Fable. I loved Fable 2 even more. Charming games, with so much player agency, and so much fun. But then, Fable 3 was awful, The Journey was a joke, and now they're coming up with this shitty looking Fable Legends. Just... let it go, Microsoft. Try to make a new IP for once. Rest Fable and stop tarnishing Molyneux's legacy so bad)

i think fable should stay, i dont like the series and frankly i find it very boring and have yet to play it for longer than 2 hours but they can make new games with completely different universes and stories and the genre is not over saturated yet. they just need a better team handling the game

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (6823 posts) -

My friend, this is a very easy question to answer..

#32 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17088 posts) -

People enjoy those games. Why would I take away anyones enjoyment and fun?

Oh right...internet...gamers....yeah...

#33 Edited by nintendoboy16 (25812 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Whoa! I wouldn't say every month. That is a stretch. Sure last year, there was around eight or nine Mario games (it was mostly the year of Luigi, but that's ending next month), but it wasn't monthly. This year, we only have had two NES Remix, DR Luigi, and the soon to be released Smash 4, Mario Golf, and Mario Kart. Other than that... what do we have left with Mario this year?

Still, if you thought these recent years were crazy with Mario, realize this, they were NOTHING compared to 2005...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games_by_year

#34 Posted by silversix_ (13553 posts) -

I'd be perfectly okay if they killed every last gen franchise but the Souls series.

#35 Posted by yokofox33 (28919 posts) -

I don't mind if Square continues the FF series, just fucking stop with 13 already. There are reports saying 15 could be linked to 13 in some way. Enough already. They are not good games.

#36 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26159 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

I don't mind if Square continues the FF series, just fucking stop with 13 already. There are reports saying 15 could be linked to 13 in some way. Enough already. They are not good games.

Imo yea 13 games are good. Anywho on topic nothing needs to die why take someone elses enjoyment.people could just avoid these games if they hate them so much. Unless they just like being jerks.

#37 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3271 posts) -

My friend, this is a very easy question to answer..

haha this made me laugh. its 1 titanfall too many, the hype is ridiculous for this game

#38 Posted by speedfog (2851 posts) -

UC: Serious, Drake's story ended at the third one for me. I would only like a prequel to a Sully campaign. But they should make some better storyline next time.

Killzone: It's just garbage. Always good graphics but the stories and gameplay are shit.

God of War: Prequel prequel prequel, sequel sequel sequel. Just end it already.

Halo: 343 can better work at other games.

#39 Edited by iloveatlus (247 posts) -

I don't think a franchise need to die, I just think some franchise such as Gears Of War & Killzone, need to reinvent itself.

#40 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24228 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Would be cool if Kratos plans to become the Egyptian or Norse God of War.

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yeah, freakin' The Last of Us is cool, but it's brilliance would be tainted with a Sequel. It's a game that should be a 1 and done. Don't make it a franchise, enjoy the game for what it is and move on.

#41 Posted by Tlgersuperman (87 posts) -

gears of war - the story was garbage in the trilogy and now that its over they can only make prequels because the main quest is finished. multiplayer was good but its better if they make new game using similar mechanics

There hasn't been another one of these for a long time wut?

#42 Posted by heretrix (37246 posts) -

Just because you don't like a franchise doesn't mean it deserves to die. Get over it, other people like them.

#43 Edited by coasterguy65 (5721 posts) -

Sonic..seriously put the hedgehog out of it's misery already.

Also any series where they have to make prequels because the story has already ended....God of War, Gears, etc.

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yeah, freakin' The Last of Us is cool, but it's brilliance would be tainted with a Sequel. It's a game that should be a 1 and done. Don't make it a franchise, enjoy the game for what it is and move on.

But the same could be said about Left Behind, as it added to what was already a one and done game, but it was a brilliant add-on.

I'm not saying they should do another game about Joel and Ellie, as that story is over. But it has an interesting world to dive further in, and I'm sure there could be other stories to tell.

#45 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27199 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

But the same could be said about Left Behind, as it added to what was already a one and done game, but it was a brilliant add-on.

I'm not saying they should do another game about Joel and Ellie, as that story is over. But it has an interesting world to dive further in, and I'm sure there could be other stories to tell.

Yea I totally agree with this. All too often a story should be left alone without a sequel spoiling it, but there's no reason why other stories within the world/universe can't be told just as well or better.

#46 Edited by DocSanchez (1395 posts) -

Zelda. Stuck on its conventions so much that it's been outdone millions of times even by small developers.

Mario. It's been done. Where do they go now? Where? New Super Mario Bros was the absolute poster child for over familiarity.

Uncharted. I loved it, but the character pales into comparison to Lara Croft and they should move on. Will probably buy the next one because its likely to push the PS4 but would've preferred something new.

Gears of war. Stale by the third, cardboard by the fourth, couldnt face another one. Stupid characters and needs a change of scenery.

There's more.

#47 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Franchises shouldn't be killed, but they should stop getting more annualised. The need for one every year can slowly kill a good franchise. If franchise fatigue is setting in said franchise should be given a break, maybe a whole gen break or keep it to only two games per gen limit.

No-one really wants any franchise to die. Most probably would like said franchises to be reimagined and freshened up.

#48 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8574 posts) -

I think God of War and Gears of War are two of the most obvious ones. I think just about everybody's tired of those.

I'd like to add

-Uncharted

-Mario Kart (unless they can shake things up a bit)

-Resident Evil (unless they can get back to making survival games)

#49 Posted by Sushiglutton (5171 posts) -

God Of War comes to mind. I wouldn't mind if SSM created a new Hn'S franchise, but Kratos has kind of reached the end of the line. I feel about the same when it comes to Uncharted.

#50 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3738 posts) -

my beloved childhood game character - sonic the hedgehog.

i felt the series peaked around sonic 3 / sonic & knuckles. after that it's been one disappointment after another.

oh well. sonic's a recognisable character, no wonder they keep using him.