Franchises That Don't Seem To Get Old

• 65 results
#1 Edited by Mystery_Writer (7957 posts) -

To you personally, what are the franchises you don't mind having them around for much longer?

I.e. the ones that don't seem to exhibit franchise fatigue in your opinion and of which you'd still feel excited if new installments are announced.

#2 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8171 posts) -

Call of Duty. They always find a way to make every game feel unique.

#3 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Was gonna say Assassins Creed but I am not that hyped about the new assassins creed game. So, GTA maybe.

#4 Edited by freedomfreak (41464 posts) -

Tomb Raider and GTA. These have been going for quite some time now, and I still get excited over new installments.

#5 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9107 posts) -

It really depends on the developers. Nintendo is able to consistently produce great experiences in quarter century old franchises because they continue to infuse a great deal of invention and creativity into them.

I'll also mention that Street fighter, as a fighting game, will probably never get old. All it takes is the smallest of tweaks and the entire game changes.

#6 Posted by lostrib (39207 posts) -

Based on how well it does and how much people end up playing each iteration, I would say Civilization, and also the Sims

Personally, I don't really know because many franchises I enjoyed started going down hill--COD, BF4. If I could ever manage to finish a GTA game, i'd probably say that

#7 Edited by Spitfire-Six (551 posts) -

Mario.

#8 Posted by Suppaman100 (4022 posts) -

- Dragon quest

- SMT

- Elder Scrolls

- MGS

#9 Posted by drummerdave9099 (781 posts) -

Pokemon

#10 Posted by Boddicker (2881 posts) -

-Fallout

-Elder Scrolls (even though I hate the ES universe)

-Mario

-Zelda

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14715 posts) -

Obviously Nintendo. But to be fair in one game Mario might be Bashing bricks and in the other Mario is Driving Karts so...... Where does a Franchise end an Entilre different genre begin ?

#12 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3493 posts) -

-Mostly anything Nintendo

-SMT

-Tales of

-Most fighting games (Tekken, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive)

-Dragon Quest

-Most games by Platinum Games

-Anything by Rare pre-Xbox 360

#13 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17294 posts) -

Sonic and Zelda

#14 Posted by Zassimick (6780 posts) -

Mario
The Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy

As long as the quality stays up, I'd probably say Uncharted as well.

#15 Edited by Ballroompirate (23290 posts) -

Legend of Zelda

Pokemon

MGS

The Elder Scrolls

#16 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3659 posts) -

Resident Evil

Mario

Zelda

Halo

Sonic

Metroid

Call of Duty

GTA

I could just go on and on.

#17 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16997 posts) -

Nintendo franchises. They are always a perfect mix between pure nostalgia and new elements. For example: New Super Mario Bros U. It reminds me a lot of Super Mario World, but it has a lot of new stuff too.

God of War. Gameplay has been the same for all the GOW games, but I would be up for another one.

Fifa. Gameplay changed very little, but it's always fun with friends on the couch.

#18 Edited by DocSanchez (1727 posts) -

Baldurs Gate. Never had a chance to get old.

#19 Edited by blackace (21097 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer: Mario, Tales series, Metroid, GTA, Zelda, PGR, Halo

#20 Edited by roulettethedog (10992 posts) -

Donkey Kong and Doom have not been mentioned.

#21 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9343 posts) -

Metroid, Castlevania 2d iterations, Tom Clancy's for the most part. Halo. Probably Civilization, Total War, Galactic Civilizations / Master of Orion, Legacy of Kain, System Shock, Half Life, XCOM, Fallout, Jagged Alliance, Dungeon Keeper.

#22 Edited by Krelian-co (11696 posts) -

Mario

Metal Gear

Zelda

#23 Edited by ddlcpc (859 posts) -

none

#24 Edited by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Fallout

Pokemon

The Sims

CoD (I'm still playing MW2)

#25 Edited by remiks00 (1983 posts) -

Dynasty Warriors...

#26 Edited by Flubbbs (3312 posts) -

Fallout

Elder Scrolls

#27 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4364 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls

Total War

Tomb Raider

Civilization

#28 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (897 posts) -

Mortal Kombat

#29 Edited by Kell_the_Gamer (824 posts) -

@sherman-tank1: Your game favorite franchise needs to 'feel unique' with each game to stay interested? You've never truly loved a gaming franchise.

@remiks00:http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/demotivation-posters-auto-271573.jpeg
You are right my friend from the sea!

#30 Edited by Kell_the_Gamer (824 posts) -

I have been gone for awhile what the fuck happened to this site and why is everything more buggy despite that there are half the features I remember having?

#31 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

On going franchises? They all seem to get old, to me. Even the Souls franchise, which I love with all of my heart, started to feel tired in DkS2. The only exception for me thus far is Batman Arkham, but I have yet to play Origins.

#32 Edited by steamistrash (427 posts) -

quake and unreal

#33 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34178 posts) -

Anything that isn't the NSMB series or the Tales series.

I guess the best answer for me though is The Legend of Zelda, I've played every Zelda game that is on the official timeline + ALBW and I still excited to see what the series has to offer next.

#34 Edited by remiks00 (1983 posts) -

@Kell_the_Gamer: Yup, the site kinda sucks these days. I still come here for the few lulz to be had at times. SW's is practically a decaying shadow of it's former self..

#35 Posted by Kell_the_Gamer (824 posts) -

@remiks00: I have been away from all gaming forums for a while, can you please recommend me some?

#36 Edited by remiks00 (1983 posts) -

@Kell_the_Gamer said:

@remiks00: I have been away from all gaming forums for a while, can you please recommend me some?

The only forums I go to on the regular are System Wars (here), and Gamefaqs. Reddit seems to be the new hot spot for gaming these days.

#37 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5996 posts) -

@Kell_the_Gamer said:

I have been gone for awhile what the fuck happened to this site and why is everything more buggy despite that there are half the features I remember having?

Welcome to shit.

#38 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73007 posts) -

Assassin's Creed and Battlefield. I haven't played Mario games in a long time, but i think that counts

#39 Posted by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

Pokemon and Metroid

#40 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8171 posts) -

@Kell_the_Gamer: I was being sarcastic. Call of Duty games are far from unique.

#41 Edited by aroxx_ab (10494 posts) -

@sherman-tank1 said:

Call of Duty. They always find a way to make every game feel unique.

At least the Modern Warfare, the WWII is same old boring crap in every game:(

#42 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

Metroid and Zelda

#43 Edited by happyduds77 (1536 posts) -

GTA, Zelda, Mario, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Sims and maybe Metal Gear Solid(As long as they keep shaking the gameplay with each installment)

#44 Edited by melonfarmerz (1199 posts) -

Assassin's Creed. The campaign missions seem repetitive but as someone who loves history, the recent change in settings every game starting from AC3 makes it refreshing every year. AC4, for example, was nothing like anything that came before it.

#45 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei, Disgaea, Tekken, and Grand Theft Auto.

#46 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9676 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Baldurs Gate. Never had a chance to get old.

My dad has been playing that game for over a decade and he still loves it. I should really try it out one day myself...

#47 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9676 posts) -
  • Mario Kart - 8 almost makes me want a Wii-U.
  • Mass Effect - Just awesome games.
  • No More Heroes - I can't fucking wait for 3 to be shown; hopefully, it will be shown at E3.
  • 3D Mario platformers - Those games are some of my favorites of all time.
  • Super Smash Brothers
  • Tekken
  • Legend of Zelda
#48 Posted by Behardy24 (4753 posts) -

The Metal Gear Franchise.

#49 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73007 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

Assassin's Creed. The campaign missions seem repetitive but as someone who loves history, the recent change in settings every game starting from AC3 makes it refreshing every year. AC4, for example, was nothing like anything that came before it.

i totally agree

#50 Edited by Seabas989 (10557 posts) -

Mario, Civilization, Zelda, SMT and Street Fighter.