Franchises that did better, stayed the same and got worse in Gen7

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -

Hey guys... Been on a small hiatus from posting this week... that pesty family of mine :P Anyway, I was thinking on my commute to work about which previously existing ranchises from years past did better this gen than last... which did worse, and which stayed the same... Obviously IP that was introduced this gen is out of the running so don't bother listing them... List however many you'd like and bring the passion... or at least the anger!

Mine are as follows...

Better than last gen...

Deus Ex franchise

Personally, I enjoyed Invisible War quite a bit, but HR was the BALLLZ! Great game and great resurgance of a wavering franchise.

DE

Honorable Mention- Fallout Franchise (yeah I said it... what'cha gonna do about it?)

Stayed the Same...

Halo Franchise

While never being my all time favorite franchise, Halo came into this gen with a mission to prove that it would be a franchise with staying power... It did just that. While never really blowing things out of the water, alot can be said for maintaining the high standards that Halo fans expect.

Halo

Honorable Mention- Forza Franchise (the model of consistency)

Got worse... :(

Honestly, this one I feel like I could pick a dozen franchises off the top of my head, but I'll go with...

Resident Evil

Preface with the fact that I enjoyed RE5 co-op quite a bit, but honestly, I can't say I've ever seen a franchise of such high acclaim, limp this badly into the next gen as we're all gonna witness Resident Evil do... It's as if there is a secret troll working at Capcom who comes out at night and takes all the soul out of every RE game. Or maybe it's that they desperately want to grab the COD crowd, or maybe they just want to stay away from the games successful roots because they are all into cutting themselves... whichever you choose, this series released several games... none of which will proudly carry on the legacy of the once mighty franchise.

RE

Honorable Mention- Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo

Bring it system wars...

#2 Posted by Neon_Noir (1503 posts) -

Forza Horizon puts every other Forza game to shame.

#3 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
There was one Forza game last gen and 4 this gen. Not really a fair comparison.
#4 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -
There was one Forza game last gen and 4 this gen. Not really a fair comparison.IAmNot_fun
I loved Forza 1 and everything that followed made me feel the same... the franchise met my expectation without going over.
#5 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Got better

3D Mario. SMG 2 is the greatest platformer of all time.

Stayed the Same

GTA. GTA 4 was fun as were the others

Got Worse

Halo

They started of fantasticallly, with the greatest game of all time Halo 3. They then followed it up with Halo Reach, a disappointing but fun game. Then it finished with the worst sequel ever crafted. Halo 4 is complete abomination. Made me give up on the franchise forever.

#6 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Better: Batman , sports titles, Killzone, Wipeout, Yakuza Stayed: Battlefield, Cod, God of war, Gran Turismo, Pokemon, NFS, R&C, Street Fighter, Tekken Worse: Halo , Socom, Armored Core, Final Fantasy, Alien Vs Predator, Banjo, C&C, DBZ, Fear, GTA, James Bond, MVC, Medal of Honor, Metroid, Red Faction, Wolfenstein, Star Wars, Turok,
#7 Posted by DealRogers (4567 posts) -

Better: God of War, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat

Same: Mario, Pokemon, MGS

Worse: RE, FF, GTA

#8 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -

Better: God of War, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat

Same: Mario, Pokemon, MGS

Worse: RE, FF, GTA

DealRogers
I almost put gta for worse considering i loath gta4, but im gonna wait to see if gta5 saves the gen... for me anyway.
#9 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3159 posts) -
Better: Super Mario, Mortal Kombat, Deus Ex, Street Fighter Same: Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto Worse: Resident Evil, Castlevania, Soul Calibur, FEAR, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Mercenaries
#10 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
Better: Fallout, Darksiders, Infamous Stayed the same: God of War, GT, MGS, and pretty much all Nintendo franchises Got worse: Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil, Killzone, and Resistance There are tons more for each category but I am having a mental block atm.
#11 Posted by charizard1605 (55299 posts) -
Got better: Mario, Pokemon Stayed the same: God of War, The Elder Scrolls Got worse: Halo, Zelda, Final Fantasy
#12 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16246 posts) -

Got better: Batman games

Same; Metal Gear Solid

Worse : Ace Combat. It devolved into a gross crappy on rails air combat game.

#13 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Same: All nintendo's stuff

Better: Castlevania

Worse: World of Warcraft after burning crusade.

#14 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -

Same: All nintendo's stuff

Better: Castlevania

Worse: World of Warcraft after burning crusade.

GD1551
Castlevania did have a good gen... agreed.
#15 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

Final Fantasy and Ace Combat are really good choices for franchises that tanked it, good choices

#16 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

Better: The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Rayman, Mortal Kombat, Grand Theft Auto, Pac-Man

Same: God of War, Pokemon

Worse: Halo after Reach, Final Fantasy, DMC, Battlefield, Resident Evil, Fable, Splinter Cell

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (46974 posts) -

Got Better
-3D Mario. The Galaxy games rape Sunshine six ways to sunday.

Stayed the Same
-Halo-iffy campaign, good-great multiplayers. That's kind of been its thing since Halo 2.

Got WOrse
-Resident Evil- RE 4 and Remake= greatness. RE 5= good, and then RE 6 happened.

#18 Posted by jg4xchamp (46974 posts) -

Better: Super Mario, Mortal Kombat, Deus Ex, Street Fighter Same: Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto Worse: Resident Evil, Castlevania, Soul Calibur, FEAR, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Mercenariesdrinkerofjuice
I PLAYED BORING ASS MAX PAYNE 3(actually it was okay), BUT YOU HAVENT PLAYED BINARY DOMAIN YET. WHAT THE F*CK HOE?

also technically FEAR isn't really last gen? FEAR 1 is pretty much a this gen game. But yeah agreed on the others. Splinter Cell became dookie, Lord of Shadows is a colossal snore fest, and Soul Calibur post 2 is lameness.

#19 Posted by Jynxzor (9286 posts) -
Better: Persona (P4 Golden is awesome) Same: Call of Duty Worse: Capcom. (The entire thing)
#20 Posted by jg4xchamp (46974 posts) -

Worse: Capcom. (The entire thing)Jynxzor
Eh Street Fighter is back to being fantastic compared to what they were doing in the PS2/XBOX/GC era.

Plus their NEW Ips like Dead Rising, Dragons Dogma, and to a much smaller extent Lost Planet aren't bad games.

It's their old IPs that are on the downhill like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

#21 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]Better: Persona (P4 Golden is awesome) Same: Call of Duty Worse: Capcom. (The entire thing)

As champ said, street fighter has been fantastic.